Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2015, 14:31   #1066
Senior - BHPian

re: It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!

Guys, a couple of days back, I noticed a bulge/bubble in the sidewall of the left rear tyre of Venus. I got it replaced from the spare tyre as of now.

What is this bulge thing? And do I have to get a new tyre for its replacement?
Old 7th June 2015, 20:42   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
The bulge means that your tyre has hit a pothole or some sharp object very hard and the internal carcass/safety of your tyre is now compromised. Please do not drive around with a sidewall bulge even if some shop keeper advises you to put in a tube etc.

Buy a new tyre and you can use this one as a spare.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 08:55   #1068
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yep, as coolboy pointed out, this calls for a new tyre.

While you're at it, you might want to get two new tyres that you can put up front.

Out of curiosity, is the tyre pressure correctly maintained?
Old 8th June 2015, 09:13   #1069
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

While you're at it, you might want to get two new tyres that you can put up front.
New tires as everyone else has pointed out. But put the new tires that you get at the rear.

Team-bhp thread on it
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 09:23   #1070
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
New tires as everyone else has pointed out. But put the new tires that you get at the rear.
Now that thread pointed out by Johy is a revelation for me as I was under an impression that new ones go up front and get run - in better as compared to the tyres at the rear.

After clocking 5-10K kms the tyres would anyway be rotated so things should be good.

What say?!
Old 8th June 2015, 20:27   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Please do not drive around with a sidewall bulge even if some shop keeper advises you to put in a tube etc.

Buy a new tyre and you can use this one as a spare.
Quote:

Out of curiosity, is the tyre pressure correctly maintained?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Now that thread pointed out by Johy is a revelation for me as I was under an impression that new ones go up front and get run - in better as compared to the tyres at the rear.

After clocking 5-10K kms the tyres would anyway be rotated so things should be good.

What say?!
Tyre pressure was maintained around 32 psi. Before this bulge appeared, I took Venus on a 250 km round trip to karnal on a hot sunday afternoon. May be the heat and couple of potholes encounter did the damage.

I always used to follow 4 tyre rotation method and kept the spare tyre unused. Right now I have replaced the old tyre with the spare unused tyre which is totally new.

I am planning to use the old tyre now as spare tyre by installing a tube in it. I haven't shown the tyre to the puncture guy yet.

Since other three tyres are in good shape as of now for at least next 5-10k kms, I will be getting four new tyres and using the recent installed tyre as stepney then.

Last edited by bluevolt : 8th June 2015 at 20:32.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 20:49   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Got new tyre installed - Goodyear - same size/specs for Rs. 3500. Swapped new tyres at front and old tyres at back.

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-imag6483.jpg
New tyre

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-imag6482.jpg
Other new tyre - stepney was never used.

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-imag6481.jpg
Existing tyres condition @30,000 kms - looks fine for another 5-10k kms I guess!
Old 16th July 2015, 15:17   #1073
BHPian

What are the checks that I need to do in terms of buying a used 3rd Gen Honda City? As far as I have read in the articles here and other forums I do not think of any problems that I should encounter, at least mechanically.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
I am new to this forum. I thought it would be better to post my question here in the ownership review section. Please redirect me to the correct thread if required.

Thanks!
Old 18th July 2015, 13:45   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
What are the checks that I need to do in terms of buying a used 3rd Gen Honda City? As far as I have read in the articles here and other forums I do not think of any problems that I should encounter, at least mechanically.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
I am new to this forum. I thought it would be better to post my question here in the ownership review section. Please redirect me to the correct thread if required.

Thanks!
Just make sure you have all the service records, state of battery, tyres, ac. Have a test drive to check clutch wear and overall engine performance. Mechanically, City will not disappoint you.
Old 21st July 2015, 22:33   #1075
Senior - BHPian

30,000 KMs Service Report

Got the Venus serviced from Ring Road Honda last weekend. Took the car at the service station around 9:30 am and got it back around 4:30 pm. Because of the sunday, there was huge rush in the service center with no space available for cars coming in to the service bay for job card opening. Ever since with Brio and Amaze rolling out of Honda factories, it's amazing to see how Honda Service centers are becoming crowded like Maruti service stations. Four years back when I bought Venus, there were hardly any rush on weekends and I usually got my car from service in 3-4 hours. Anyways.

Overall service experience was satisfactory this time. The SA though tried to include unnecessary jobs like fuel line/tank cleaning etc but I refused all irrelevant tasks and only asked them to perform jobs that I approve on job card. Both horns were not working and when I asked the SA to replace the horn, he advised me to get the aftermarket horns but since I am not a great fan of aftermarket horns, I told him to install the horns of the new model. The new horns sound different and bit better also. Hope they will last for some good period of time. Also replaced the wiper blades as the current ones were wearing out. Current odo reading is 30,650 Kms and next service will be at 35,000KMs.

Following are the details of parts/labour charges -

-> General repair/Brake Caliper greasing - Rs. 970
-> Horn replace labour charges - Rs. 342
-> Throttle Body Cleaning - Rs.347
-> Wiper blades replacement charges - Rs. 170
-> Paid Service 30k charges - Rs. 1077

total charges - Rs. 2906

-> Engine Oil - Rs. 1361
-> Misc oil filter/washer fluid/misc parts - Rs. 400
-> Horn - Rs. 2437
-> Wiper blades - Rs. 928

Parts charges - Rs. 5126

Grand Total(Final Amount Paid) - Rs. 8055

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-imag7085.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-imag7086.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-imag7088.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-imag7092.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-imag7094.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-imag7101.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-imag7102.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-imag7104.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-imag7106.jpg
Old 22nd July 2015, 00:02   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
30,000 KMs Service Report

Got the Venus serviced from Ring Road Honda last weekend.

Following are the details of parts/labour charges -

-> General repair/Brake Caliper greasing - Rs. 970
-> Horn replace labour charges - Rs. 342
-> Throttle Body Cleaning - Rs.347
-> Wiper blades replacement charges - Rs. 170
-> Paid Service 30k charges - Rs. 1077

total charges - Rs. 2906

-> Engine Oil - Rs. 1361
-> Misc oil filter/washer fluid/misc parts - Rs. 400
-> Horn - Rs. 2437
-> Wiper blades - Rs. 928

Parts charges - Rs. 5126

Grand Total(Final Amount Paid) - Rs. 8055

Everything seems legit except for the parts charges. I think they kind of ripped you off there except for maybe engine oil. You could have got great quality horn and wiper blades for half the charges outside.

Also, what about air filter and Ac cabin filter? They're just as critical preventive maintenance consumables.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd July 2015 at 13:43. Reason: Fixing quotes.
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:34   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post

Everything seems legit except for the parts charges. I think they kind of ripped you off there except for maybe engine oil. You could have got great quality horn and wiper blades for half the charges outside.

Also, what about air filter and Ac cabin filter? They're just as critical preventive maintenance consumables.
The air filter was cleaned this time. Don't know if SA forgot to include it in the replacement list. I guess it needs to be changed during every service?

Other than that I agree that parts costs are too high at Honda ASC but due to lack of time, I had no other option but to get the car ready on this day only.
Old 23rd July 2015, 15:05   #1078
Senior - BHPian

I think you can save few hundred Rs if you were to buy the air filter from outside. Eg the Civic's air filter at Honda costs 1200 bucks while the after market Sakura which is OE costs just 450 Rs max. You can buy the filter and fit it yourself before sending the car to Honda
Old 24th July 2015, 22:26   #1079
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
For some reason, the SA when my City went in for servicing wasn't keen on changing the Air filter (called Element filter). He said they'd check it first and if absolutely necessary, change it. I insisted on it being changed.
Old 2nd August 2015, 18:11   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For some reason, the SA when my City went in for servicing wasn't keen on changing the Air filter (called Element filter). He said they'd check it first and if absolutely necessary, change it. I insisted on it being changed.
In my case also, they told it will be cleaned and will be changed in next service. Don't know why they are not keen on changing the part which is actually required to be replaced. Might be the case of unavailability of the spare part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I think you can save few hundred Rs if you were to buy the air filter from outside. Eg the Civic's air filter at Honda costs 1200 bucks while the after market Sakura which is OE costs just 450 Rs max. You can buy the filter and fit it yourself before sending the car to Honda
Yes, I agree. Even the wipers costs half in the market as compared to SVC price.

Most Viewed