Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2019, 12:45   #1216
SRT
BHPian

re: It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
Ohh, thanks. Has the steering rack issue caused any serious problems while driving? I'd imagine that the car's fail-safes would prevent major issues, maybe I'd lose power steering, but that's about it.
I have the steering rack rattling issue since 1 lakh KMs (2015 onward) and till now at this 1.65 Lakhs, it has not created any problems in driving. The rattling sound remained the same and not increased since 2015. The only issue i feel is the slight tightness of the steering which is very tolerable.
Old 11th May 2019, 13:45   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
I have the steering rack rattling issue since 1 lakh KMs (2015 onward) and till now at this 1.65 Lakhs, it has not created any problems in driving. The rattling sound remained the same and not increased since 2015. The only issue I feel is the slight tightness of the steering which is very tolerable.

Oh. I did a quick search on YouTube and came across several videos where people faced similar issues. One guy had this issue on his F30 328i. The solution recommended in most of those videos was to replace/tighten some screw-type thing that's there in the steering rack assembly. It's a temporary fix but one that is relatively inexpensive. Haven't tried it personally so can't comment on that!
Old 18th June 2019, 02:27   #1218
BHPian

Hi guys, like so many others, I too have followed the call of the Honda City. I proudly owned the last of its kind 2003 1.3 Dxi model. Sadly, being in Delhi, our registration expired last year.

We are again looking for a Honda City and I have my eyes set on a 2010 V model with 70k on the odo. The owner has the car serviced @7-8k KMs at the FNG and has recently installed new tires and a battery. How can I determine whether the car is a part of the airbag recall? And if the car is and the airbag sensor has not been replaced yet, can I get it done myself later on?

The asking price is 2.55L and he is open to negotiation. What would be a fair price to pay for a June 2010 V model?

Finally, I take great solace in the fact that this thread exists and whenever I do buy the car, I would have a place to share my experience.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Last edited by sibot : 18th June 2019 at 02:29.
Old 18th June 2019, 09:34   #1219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
How can I determine whether the car is a part of the airbag recall? And if the car is and the airbag sensor has not been replaced yet, can I get it done myself later on?
I have a '10 City SMT which had both it's airbag inflator modules replaced; so safe to assume the car you are considering will be under the recall as well. Simple to verify whether both the modules have been replaced: if the owner doesn't have service history, just visit any Honda A.S.S. and ask them to check the history for the VIN. Recalls are done only under specific VINs so if it is completed, the A.S.S. would have marked it in Honda's system.

If it hasn't been done, you can get it done at any Honda A.S.S. When? Can't say for sure because I doubt this is a year long process. They have certain time period when they process these recalls for specific cars. For eg. there was a year's gap between when the driver side and passenger modules were replaced on my car.
Old 18th June 2019, 09:54   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The asking price is 2.55L and he is open to negotiation. What would be a fair price to pay for a June 2010 V model?
Price quoted seems fine to me. Try to negotiate another 5-10k if you can.
Old 20th June 2019, 19:34   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I have a '10 City SMT which had both it's airbag inflator modules replaced; so safe to assume the car you are considering will be under the recall as well. Simple to verify whether both the modules have been replaced: if the owner doesn't have service history, just visit any Honda A.S.S. and ask them to check the history for the VIN. Recalls are done only under specific VINs so if it is completed, the A.S.S. would have marked it in Honda's system.

If it hasn't been done, you can get it done at any Honda A.S.S. When? Can't say for sure because I doubt this is a year long process. They have certain time period when they process these recalls for specific cars. For eg. there was a year's gap between when the driver side and passenger modules were replaced on my car.
Thank you for the elaborate post.

Unfortunately, someone bought the car the very next day, goes to show that it still sells like hotcakes. It was a very attractive price.

The information you've provided will definitely serve me well while I carry on with my search.

I have zeroed down on two more cars now, both are 2011 December models, one is a 3rd owner (2nd owner transferred it to his own company) and the other is a 2nd owner. Both are dealers and are asking for 2.8L. The 3rd owner car is in relatively better shape. I will try and go see the cars tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I was a little late and the owner ended up selling it for 2.5L including the paper transfer.
Old 20th June 2019, 20:47   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

I was a little late and the owner ended up selling it for 2.5L including the paper transfer.
When did City's value drop so much? I have a 2011 and I thought it was worth at least 3.5

Do consider 2011 Verna. (Maintenance might be slightly higher) seating comfort and space is less in comparison but it doesn't have any of the city's cons- below par nvh, harsh ride, weak headlights, lack of features.
Old 20th June 2019, 21:08   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
When did City's value drop so much? I have a 2011 and I thought it was worth at least 3.5

Do consider 2011 Verna. (Maintenance might be slightly higher) seating comfort and space is less in comparison but it doesn't have any of the city's cons- below par nvh, harsh ride, weak headlights, lack of features.
From what I can make out after scouring the second-hand market, the prices quoted online are a lot higher than what the car eventually ends up selling for. A lot of people online tend to lowball and quote atrociously low prices, so I think people hike it up and then other people who are looking to list follow the trend.

The 2011 model is def priced lower than what the actual value should be, which I think could be attributed to the 3rd owner.

Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely check out the Verna too. Though I've seen that they tend to be priced at a premium vis-a-vis the Honda City.
sibot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 11:52   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
We are again looking for a Honda City and I have my eyes set on a 2010 V model with 70k on the odo. The owner has the car serviced @7-8k KMs at the FNG and has recently installed new tires and a battery. How can I determine whether the car is a part of the airbag recall? And if the car is and the airbag sensor has not been replaced yet, can I get it done myself later on?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.
I had put my September 2010 City (VMT) on OLX and the best offer I got was 2.5 L. I was the 1st owner and the car came with a full service history, etc., etc. The car needed some suspension work and some minor body work (rust), other than that it was perfect even after 67K on the ODO. The OLX buyer was very slow in responding, so I offered the City to the Volkswagen dealer (who was in a real hurry to get me to place my order) at the same price as the OLX buyer had offered me. Based on the pictures I sent him, he agreed. Deal done! So to summarize, 2.5 L is a decent offer for a City of that age / condition. I would have been more satisfied with 20-30 K more, but it was a good deal for me all things considered.

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-img_0829.jpg

As for the airbag recall, you can check if the car is affected by typing the VIN on the Honda website (they have a link to check if your car needs the replacement or not). Also, a Honda dealer should be able to confirm if the replacement has been done or not. Hope this helps! All the best with your search.
Old 7th August 2019, 22:29   #1225
Senior - BHPian

It's been quite a while since I updated this thread!

Amazing to see Venus will be turning 9 years old this year. She has aged so well that even with 2020 approaching, it's design & looks are still relevant and fresh in the market.
9 years is a long time and everyone in the family is too attached to it. Venus has witnessed another amazing event in the family i.e. my wedding in April this year. She was also the one to bring newlyweds home in 2011 (my elder brother's wedding).

In March, Venus touched 65,000 km mark and it was the time for service. The last service was done at 55,000 km mark in April 2017.

It was a costly affair this time to service Venus, bill amount was Rs.19,226. Blame on the service advisor or bit of my ignorance due to which the service bill is higher than it should have been. Due to busy schedule and wedding preparations, I called up the service center and asked them to pick the car for servicing. Ring Road Honda, Peeragarhi was the service center. A guy came to pick the car around 9 am in the morning and dropped around 7 pm. Service advisor called me after 3 hours around 12 pm for opening the job card. I was following up on the progress but like always there service quality and more or so their behavior towards customer was pathetic.

Below are details of the service including parts and jobs that were undertaken.

Parts/Consumables

-> Engine oil - Rs. 1530
-> Washer fluid - Rs. 45
-> Washer drain plus - Rs.30
-> Oil Filter - Rs. 150
-> Brake fluid - Rs. 310
-> Wiper blades - Rs. 828
-> MTF (100ml) - Rs. 460 - Not aware what is this item intended for.
-> Air filter - Rs. 1205
-> Coolant - Rs. 580
-> AC air filter - Rs. 427
-> Horn - Rs. 1152
-> Radiator Hose - Rs. 320
-> Wheel alignment weights - Rs. 60

Service/Labour

-> Fixed service charges - Rs. 1486
-> Wheel alignment/Balancing/Rotation - Rs. 1438
-> All body greasing and lubrication - Rs. 3245 (Must have refused this job)
-> Radiator flushing and cleaning - Rs. 2124 (Must have refused this job)
-> Underbody rust treatment - Rs. 3835 (Again must have refused this job)

I realized at a later date that I have paid at least Rs. 9,000 extra that could have been avoided if I took the car personally to the service center and demanded only essentials to be done. A lesson learned. I approved those tasks considering the enhancement to the longevity of the car but did not ask the rates of each task before approving on job card opening call.

Currently, venus has completed over 68,000 Kms. Though there is no issue with engine/other mechanicals, two minor rust spots in the driver and passenger front door are bothering me. I have decided to not to service the car anymore once it reached next service mark i.e. 75,000 Kms on the ODO. My car will complete 9 years in coming October and will be due for replacement in its 10th year. In the current scenario, there is hardly any car that I can consider for my City's replacement. If I had to replace it today, then maybe Hyundai Venue is one option worth considering. But since we are not in a hurry and plan to use the car till 75,000 Kms mark (that should be reached by next April), we are eagerly waiting for the 5th gen City. While it is true that only a City can replace a City, the thing bothering me is the price of the car. Even the SV variant (base) of current Gen City is 11Lacs OTR and V variant costs around 12 Lacs while we prefer to keep budget for cars is strictly kept below 10 Lacs. Another thing that makes me think beyond Honda is their poor service experience.

Let's see what the future brings and what would finally replace our beloved City.

Finally a couple of snapshot of Venus from my wedding

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-img_0826.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-img_0830.jpg

Last edited by bluevolt : 7th August 2019 at 22:31.
bluevolt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 22:47   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
-> All body greasing and lubrication - Rs. 3245 (Must have refused this job)

-> Underbody rust treatment - Rs. 3835 (Again must have refused this job)
they ripped you off real good! That's bad especially when you are a dedicated customer. Such attitude from HASS advisers is just not acceptable.
Old 16th August 2019, 13:23   #1227
SRT
BHPian

Anyone upgraded tyres of 2009 model Honda city to 195/65 R15 on original alloy? Is it touching the body? What is the feedback
Old 20th September 2019, 20:30   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Recently tried a new polish on Venus - 3M liquid wax. Results have been excellent. The best thing about this polish was easy buffing. Though I have to keep a check till how long it will last on the surface unlike carnauba wax. I have created a short video showcasing before and after use of this liquid wax.

Old 22nd November 2019, 00:26   #1229
BHPian

1.Could folks with higher mileage tell me if there's anything specific to look out for at 70Kkms?

My suspension and clutch is in good condition (stock) and brakes are new. Gear oil and brake oil has been changed in the last 1-2 years.

Does the timing chain/ belt have to be replaced ever?
This post says it's good to go forever

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post3928337

2. When braking in reverse, and the direction of movement changes from forward to backward, there's a tiny clicking sound which occurs. Similarly, when I go forward again, this sound comes up again. It only happens the first time when brake is applied in new direction.

I've shown it to a knowledgeable mechanic at Honda and was told it's a normal sound when changing directions. He said it could be improved by installing new shims in the next service, but no guarantee of complete sound elimination. Initially, I refused to accept it's normal because I haven't heard a similar sound in any other car, however, they demonstrated the same sound from 2 similar age cars and said it's a known issue with the 3rd gen city.
Anyone with a similar experience?
Old 2nd December 2019, 15:10   #1230
BHPian

H Everybody! I own a 2012 City (Type 3 facelift), with a little less than 61k on the ODO. I had been experiencing some sideways rocking along with a very pronounced thud over bad roads and decided to go for a suspension overhaul. So, I underwent the following replacements recently:
1. Front suspension - Shocks, Mount, Tierods, Lower Arm (Except the lower arm, everything else are OEM. The Lower arm is an OES from Sona - I was recommended the same by a T-Bhp recommended FNG)
2. Rear shocks

I'm running on 195/60 R15 Continental MC5 with 28psi all around.

Although the thud and rattles over bad roads reduced and even the sideways rocking reduced, they are not completely gone and it bothers me a lot. I'm especially bothered by the sideways rocking which does not inspire confidence at high speeds on highways.

This issue was not there initially and only developed over time. Any ideas what is causing this and how can I overcome these niggles? I'm really fond of this car and don't want to let go of this gem of a design-engine-transmission combination for this issue. Any help will be appreciated.

Most Viewed