Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2015, 00:38   #1081
BHPian

re: It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!

I have recently bought a pre-owned 2009 Honda City S. The owner says that he does not have the spare/duplicate key available, apparently he seems to have misplaced it. The only one available is the primary remote lock one.
Should I replace all the locks or just get a duplicate one made from Honda. Pretty confused as this might be a safety issue with the car.
Old 9th August 2015, 10:10   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
I have recently bought a pre-owned 2009 Honda City S. The owner says that he does not have the spare/duplicate key available, apparently he seems to have misplaced it. The only one available is the primary remote lock one.
Should I replace all the locks or just get a duplicate one made from Honda. Pretty confused as this might be a safety issue with the car.
If you are too concerned about the security then you can get the locks replaced. This will include the front door and boot cover lock. or you can have a new gear lock installed for added security with existing locks and key combination.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 13:20   #1083
BHPian

Get all locks changed.That way you are assured absolute peace of mind. You never know who has access to the missing key.
srinivaspai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 13:23   #1084
BHPian

It's always safe to change the entire locking system. But keep in mind that it will cost you a bomb. If I'm not wrong, it'll cost you in excess of 50k.
Old 9th August 2015, 15:31   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
It's always safe to change the entire locking system. But keep in mind that it will cost you a bomb. If I'm not wrong, it'll cost you in excess of 50k.
Does changing the locks require changing of existing central locking system also that is provided by Honda? 50k looks like a huge amount for this work!
Old 10th August 2015, 01:37   #1086
BHPian

Thank you for your replies guys!
I will get the info on the costs. Gear Lock looks like a good option for now.
Old 10th August 2015, 12:03   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Does changing the locks require changing of existing central locking system also that is provided by Honda?
I'm afraid it is. If you need to change locking system, you'll need to change the entire module including the immobilizer. Otherwise, the car can be opened with the lost key if it is actually stolen. I heard this from Toyota in one occasion when we lost a key. I guess Honda will be following the same system.
Old 1st October 2015, 07:43   #1088
Senior - BHPian

One sunday morning, I was cleaning Venus myself and found these rusting marks on the lower side of both passenger and driver doors. The driver side door has rusting signs from the inside also.

Quite surprising to see rusting issue with City considering its age which has not even crossed 5 years mark yet.

Any way out to control this rusting from further expanding?

I regularly wax my venus using formula one/turtle wax.
Attached Thumbnails
It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-1443665350671.jpg  

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-1443665372548.jpg  

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-1443665413282.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2015, 12:20   #1089
Senior - BHPian

^^^

Any pointers for above issue?

PS - Also another issue I noticed, when the ignition switch is on - (for blower fan operation), the radiator fan also starts irrespective whether the engine is cold or hot.

A week back I almost drained my battery due to this.

Last edited by bluevolt : 3rd October 2015 at 12:22.
Old 5th October 2015, 09:17   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
One sunday morning, I was cleaning Venus myself and found these rusting marks on the lower side of both passenger and driver doors. The driver side door has rusting signs from the inside also.

Quite surprising to see rusting issue with City considering its age which has not even crossed 5 years mark yet.

I have seen some rust in the boot of mine as well, the area around the spare wheel. My car is from 2009. I will be getting it fixed, will have to check with 3M guys and get their say on it.
Old 5th October 2015, 11:37   #1091
BHPian

Quote:

Sure case of keeping car in water logged area.maybe in underground parking which was flooded by rain water. Immediate steps to be taken include remove all seats and lift the floor carpet and inspect for floor rusting.Also check if window glass beading in letting in water which is collecting inside the door panel.remove the fibre inside panel close the door and spray water from outside and look for leakage.

The doors / floor needs to be sanded/ground till bare metal to remove all traces of rust and patched up and repainted.

If immediate steps are not taken you will surely loose the door panel within 2 - 3 years . Im from a area near the sea and have seen been victim to rust and know thesigns. Delhi being dryer the effects of rust maybe slower but eventually it will happen.

Last edited by srinivaspai : 5th October 2015 at 11:41.
Old 5th October 2015, 11:59   #1092
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Whaaaa?! This is very unusual for a 5yr car in an area like Delhi.

Were any of these panels ever dented and then fixed? Perhaps switched during service? You should loop Honda in for this.

Quote:
PS - Also another issue I noticed, when the ignition switch is on - (for blower fan operation), the radiator fan also starts irrespective whether the engine is cold or hot.
Isn't this normal?
Old 5th October 2015, 15:54   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

Was the car washed daily? I have seen similar damage to vehicles which were washed daily - much worse actually.
Old 10th October 2015, 00:48   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
I have seen some rust in the boot of mine as well, the area around the spare wheel. My car is from 2009. I will be getting it fixed, will have to check with 3M guys and get their say on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivaspai View Post
Sure case of keeping car in water logged area.maybe in underground parking which was flooded by rain water. Immediate steps to be taken include remove all seats and lift the floor carpet and inspect for floor rusting.Also check if window glass beading in letting in water which is collecting inside the door panel.remove the fibre inside panel close the door and spray water from outside and look for leakage.

The doors / floor needs to be sanded/ground till bare metal to remove all traces of rust and patched up and repainted.

If immediate steps are not taken you will surely loose the door panel within 2 - 3 years . Im from a area near the sea and have seen been victim to rust and know thesigns. Delhi being dryer the effects of rust maybe slower but eventually it will happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Whaaaa?! This is very unusual for a 5yr car in an area like Delhi.

Were any of these panels ever dented and then fixed? Perhaps switched during service? You should loop Honda in for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Was the car washed daily? I have seen similar damage to vehicles which were washed daily - much worse actually.
This rusting is indeed surprising and shocking for me considering the age of the car and almost similar amount of time, I am planning to keep it as well.

The car was never water logged. It is cleaned by the local car cleaner guy and use nearby hand pump water which is drinkable. I myself wax my car every 3-6 months. I also keep the car covered on weekends or when not in use.

Switching off the door panels with another car is bit unlikely though not impossible. I never left my car at Honda SVC overnight, neither I noticed any difference in colors of the door panels. Had it been swapped with another one, there must have been bit of difference around.

No denting/painting in my knowledge as well.

Planning to cover the rusted part with paste of carnauba wax so atleast the rust doesnt expand further. Can't think of any other way/workaround to control the rusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Isn't this normal?
Radiator fan turning on without starting the engine even it is cold by turning the ignition switch on will drain battery quite rapidly.

Doesn't look normal as I never noticed as such happening in Venus as well as in other cars as well.

Shouldn't the radiator fan turn on when a/c/engine is running and not on battery with ignition switch on?
Old 10th October 2015, 10:48   #1095
BHPian

Quote:

Planning to cover the rusted part with paste of carnauba wax so atleast the rust doesnt expand further. Can't think of any other way/workaround to control the rusting.
Unfortunately it does not work that way. The rust eats from inside and covering any amount of waxfrom outside will not work.
get tinkering done immediately and save the panel . Like they say " a stitch in time......"

Since the car was never out of your possession since you got it then there i sdefinately the possibility that it was dented and repaired before delivery. possibly kept in a water logged area too.this would be at the yard of dealer or company.

Last edited by srinivaspai : 10th October 2015 at 10:52.

Most Viewed