Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2017, 14:37   #1171
Senior - BHPian

re: It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
Hello Bluevolt. You got synthetic oil 3.5 Litres for Rs.1621. Are you sure it is fully synthetic? Please share the grade of the engine oil. Also can did you fid any major difference in driveability and mileage figures, after upgrading to synthetic oil? I have a 2012 iVTEC and looking to take a plunge from mineral to synthetic. You reply will be of great help.
I believe the oil Honda provides at the HASS is fully synthetic itself. So unless you are getting your oil changed outside, it is already synthetic.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 21:18   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I believe the oil Honda provides at the HASS is fully synthetic itself. So unless you are getting your oil changed outside, it is already synthetic.
What I am worried about is the fact that how come Honda is providing 3.5 litres of synthetic oil at such paltry price of Rs.1500 odd+ taxes. Another issue I have is the change in Oil grade at HASS. Its 0W20 now, good for cold starts, but it won't handle high temperatures of Bhubaneswar, which ranges from 35-50 degrees.
Old 20th September 2017, 22:25   #1173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Quote:
What I am worried about is the fact that how come Honda is providing 3.5 litres of synthetic oil at such paltry price of Rs.1500 odd+ taxes. Another issue I have is the change in Oil grade at HASS. Its 0W20 now, good for cold starts, but it won't handle high temperatures of Bhubaneswar, which ranges from 35-50 degrees.
Honda service centers here in Delhi ask the owner if they want to go for mineral oil or fully synthetic oil. I went for fully synthetic oil as it has a change interval of 10,000 Kms instead of 5,000 Kms in regular mineral oil after extended warranty on my car finished. I now get my car serviced every 10,000 kms instead of 5,000 kms.

AFAIK the oil grade used is 0W-30 and brand was motul IIRC. These service centers have large number containers of fresh engine oil.
Old 12th October 2017, 13:43   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
For Honda city, we used to have an option for mineral oil for 1300 and synthetic for 2800. I used only mineral oil as usage is not heavy. During last service, the SA told that option is not there and Honda has reduced Synthetic oil rate to 1600/- and will be used uniformly on all Cities.
My City-3rd Gen is completing 8 years and 45k, no issues, changed battery after 6.2 years and tyres. No mechanical issues and niggles.
I have followed yearly service for last 4 years as running is @ 5k per year. Overall a happy experience and till today the zing is still there. I call it new car since i have a Maruti 800 of 23 years, perfectly running and good form.
I too believe 3rd Honda city is the best of lot with 4th generation niggle stories.

Last edited by bullock-Car : 12th October 2017 at 13:46. Reason: grammer
bullock-Car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 21:04   #1175
Senior - BHPian

Celebrated Diwali by giving Venus a coat of Collinite 845 insulator wax. Paint gloss is still holding well and looks like new.

City is doing absolutely great. Odo meter is past 50k mark with exact reading of 50,500 Kms. Overall mileage is around 14-15 KMPL with best of 18-19 KMPL and worst of 9-10 KMPL depending on my driving pattern.

Next service is still 5,000 Kms far. Should take 6-8 months for completing this much running. Venus is also celbrating this Diwali with a new companion - Maruti Baleno http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ties-life.html

Wishing all a very happy Diwali and happy & safe driving

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0808.jpg
bluevolt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:27   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Celebrated Diwali by giving Venus a coat of Collinite 845 insulator wax. Paint gloss is still holding well and looks like new.

City is doing absolutely great. Odo meter is past 50k mark with exact reading of 50,500 Kms. Overall mileage is around 14-15 KMPL with best of 18-19 KMPL and worst of 9-10 KMPL depending on my driving pattern.
The new coat looks fab! I will check if I can get the same done for mine. I get similar mileage as yours so this proves that it is a misconception that City gives very low mileage. My Odo is past 53k recently.

I had a question though, now that you have crossed 50k have you been suggested to change the Clutch Assembly by Honda Service Center? What should be the interval for getting it changed under normal usage?

Thanks,

aghate22
Old 23rd October 2017, 20:40   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
The new coat looks fab! I will check if I can get the same done for mine. I get similar mileage as yours so this proves that it is a misconception that City gives very low mileage. My Odo is past 53k recently.
Hi Agahte,

During my last service at 45k, there was no issue with clutch. Neither the service center advised anything nor I have any problems with the clutch system till date.

I don't think so there is any regular interval in which you have to get the clutch assembly changed. It totally depends on driving style, overall wear and tear, quality of components etc.

In my WagonR, the clutch was changed at 45k Kms while one of my friend got clutch changed in his Civic at 80k Kms. So this can and will vary.

Last edited by ampere : 27th January 2018 at 22:30. Reason: Trimmed quoted Post
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 11:44   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
During my last service at 45k, there was no issue with clutch. Neither the service center advised anything nor I have any problems with the clutch system till date.
My Honda i-VTEC has done around 75000 km in Delhi with mostly city driving. There is no need to replace any clutch parts unless the clutch is slipping. That could sometimes happen much earlier owing to 'clutch riding'. I recently sold my 2nd Generation GXi with 108000 on the clock and no problem with the clutch. Mind you both cars are driven by a family member and no drivers at all. All have been trained to observe good driving habits particularly avoiding clutch riding.

Last edited by ampere : 27th January 2018 at 22:29. Reason: Trimmed quoted Post
ashokabs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2017, 16:26   #1179
Senior - BHPian

I don't redline my car much but last week got a chance to revv it to the limits on an open road. I observed two things, I could redline in each gear where tacho went upto 7000 RPM (+-100 RPM) and then the limiter kicked in.

But when I accelerate the car in neutral gear, the tacho could go only upto 4500 RPM and the limiter kicks in exactly at 4.5k not allowing to revv any further.

Is this normal for a Honda City?
Old 27th January 2018, 21:34   #1180
SRT
BHPian

Quote:
I don't redline my car much but last week got a chance to revv it to the limits on an open road. I observed two things, I could redline in each gear where tacho went upto 7000 RPM (+-100 RPM) and then the limiter kicked in.
Yes. This is normal for most of the cars, as a soft rev limit put by OEMs, to prevent the engine and transmission damages at high RPM gear engagement in no load condition.

On engagement of gear, the engine becomes loaded and even in full RPM, there will not be any damages till the actual redline and hence you can do redlining.

Last edited by ampere : 27th January 2018 at 22:29. Reason: Trimmed quoted Post
SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 11:32   #1181
BHPian

Questions to all Honda City owners, just gave my 2011 City for 60k service.

-Wanted to *change* clutch and brake fluid as the car is on it's 7th year.

The service advisor said replacement of these two is not required (?), its top up & check is included in paid service charges.

-Also, is radiator cleaning & flush required?

Declined it as it was priced at 2300rs and my car's radiator + condenser was replaced in 2013/14, so it's actually not 60k old.

-Caliper Pin " greasing and adjustment" at 1600rs. This is not a value add on right?

T.I.A

Last edited by rayjaycleoful : 10th March 2018 at 11:35.
Old 11th March 2018, 09:44   #1182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
-Wanted to *change* clutch and brake fluid as the car is on it's 7th year.

The service advisor said replacement of these two is not required (?), its top up & check is included in paid service charges.
Why do you want to get the clutch replaced if you don't have any trouble? Brake fluid is topped up during service. My City is almost 8 years, 60k kms, still on the stock clutch.

Quote:
-Also, is radiator cleaning & flush required?
No; this is one of those uselss add-ons that the A.S.S. recommend to earn some money. Unless you experience engine heating issues, this isn't necessary.

Quote:
-Caliper Pin " greasing and adjustment" at 1600rs. This is not a value add on right?
This is new! You can just get brake cleaning/bleeding.
Old 11th March 2018, 10:41   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Why do you want to get the clutch replaced if you don't have any trouble? My City is almost 8 years, 60k kms, still on the stock clutch.

No; this is one of those uselss add-ons that the A.S.S. recommend to earn some money

This is new! You can just get brake cleaning/bleeding.
- My car has also done 60k kms and the clutch feels absolutely fine. But I've read on the forum that getting just the clutch fluid changed once in a while is healthy for the car.

-Didn't get the radiator cleaning done. I read on your thread how it's in the line of other unnecessary things like ac vent cleaning, exhaust pipe/ cat con cleaning, etc. In fact, these were also declined by me in the service.

- Opted for Caliper Pin Overhaul.
Don't know what it is, but brakes feel marginally better.
I wanted to get the brake pads changed as I get a screeching sound frequently and it's run 60k km. However, they said it's good for another 10k km.
The screeching has reduced significantly but still there, very minor though. Maybe they did clean the pads...
Old 10th June 2018, 21:54   #1184
Senior - BHPian

Could not update the thread for a while. Taking out some time to write down few updates on Venus. Current ODO reading is 58,000 Kms. Average around 12-14KMPL.

-> Got the car serviced at 55,000 Kms mark on 7th April.

-> Net bill amount was Rs. 13,000. Below are the details of parts and labor included in the service.

Parts/Consumables

-> Brake Pads - Rs. 5500
-> Engine oil - Rs. 1445

Service/Labour

-> Brake caliper overhaul - Rs. 1911
-> Injector cleaning - Rs. 1050
-> Throttle body cleaning - Rs. 870
-> Service charges - Rs. 1820
-> Misc items - Rs. 500

Service advisor was suggesting clutch overhaul as according to him it is the time for the clutch replacement to which I simply refused. He also advised to replace the battery from the immediately as the car may not start after service due to the weak battery. SA also requested me to get the brake disc changed as they will start rusting according to him soon. He also told me the headlamps needs replacement as the headlight coupler is melted, rear LHS tail lamps needs replacement as it has too many scratches. AC overhaul job was also refused by me. The problem in above case was that there was not actually a problem but according to the service advisor these problems are there or might be arising very soon. I kept on politely refusing all these jobs :P. If I had said yes to all the above tasks, my service bill would have been increased more than Rs. 50,000. I wonder how they are milking money out of uninformed owners!

Anyways, I am using the City a lot these days. Lots of driving in the city and on highways as well. No plans of selling it off as of now. Toyota Yaris came to my mind but could not match the presence of City. Venus will complete 8 years in coming October. Let's see what's in store in the coming year i.e. NextGen City.

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-img_20180610_174147_103.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-img_20180610_174211_107.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-img_20180610_174235_509.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-img_20180610_174252_381.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-img_20180610_202425_071.jpg
bluevolt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 23:56   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Could not update the thread for a while. Taking out some time to write down few updates on Venus. Current ODO reading is 58,000 Kms. Average around 12-14KMPL.

-> Got the car serviced at 55,000 Kms mark on 7th April.

-> Net bill amount was Rs. 13,000. Below are the details of parts and labor included in the service.

Parts/Consumables

-> Brake Pads - Rs. 5500
-> Engine oil - Rs. 1445

Service/Labour

-> Brake caliper overhaul - Rs. 1911
-> Injector cleaning - Rs. 1050
-> Throttle body cleaning - Rs. 870
-> Service charges - Rs. 1820
-> Misc items - Rs. 500
Which engine oil was used by the service centre? Please do mention the brand and oil rating. Was it fully synthetic or semi synthetic oil?

Most Viewed