Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 20:27   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda City i-VTEC Ownership Report - The Story So Far !

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
IMO, ANHC would never do a true 200KMPH in its stock form so please do not try attempting the feat. How did the car behave @150 ? Was it stable, did you feel any sought of vibrations in your steering wheel ?
The car was stable; there was noise from tyres but no vibrations as such. I didn't noticed at what RPM the car was at 150 KMPH, but still the engine was eager to push further. I think it can do at least 170 KMPH.

@ ANHC owners, what top speed have you achieved in your car?

PS – Got a call from Ring Road Honda and they have forwarded my case to Goodyear and someone from Goodyear will come to my place on 7th march for the inspection of the damaged tyre.

Last edited by bluevolt : 4th March 2011 at 20:29.
Old 7th March 2011, 14:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

Got a call from Goodyear representative and said that they can’t send a person to my place/office; instead I have to visit one of their authorized dealers for the inspection. But as today is monday, the shops are closed. I am going out of station for 4-5 days and will follow this case after coming back.

Friends, I fill 33 PSI of air in my tyres instead of 30PSI and 32PSI; will this cause any harm to them?

Last edited by bluevolt : 7th March 2011 at 14:35.
Old 14th March 2011, 22:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our All New Honda City - Update on tyre issue.

Today I got my car’s damaged tyre inspected by goodyear representative. He stated that the company cannot replace the tyre with a new one as this is not a manufacturing defect. But as goodwill they are offering me 25 % off on new tyre purchase. I will update about final price after getting new tyre tomorrow.
Old 15th March 2011, 18:53   #49
Senior - BHPian

Got my damaged tyre replaced with new tyre today. I insisted Ring Road Honda to increase the rebate and after few calls here and there, the tyre dealer offered me 50 % rebate. Total expense Rs. 2150 after getting 50 % off (original price is Rs 4300).
Attached Thumbnails
It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-dsc03124-fileminimizer.jpg  

Old 20th March 2011, 12:45   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Got my damaged tyre replaced with new tyre today. I insisted Ring Road Honda to increase the rebate and after few calls here and there, the tyre dealer offered me 50 % rebate. Total expense Rs. 2150 after getting 50 % off (original price is Rs 4300).
bluevolt,
I think you have got the best deal in the present circumstances.
In fact it is quite rare to pin the responsibility on the tire supplier and claim warranty replacement and you have done that at least 50%
Are you still considering to upsize the tires?
Hope you have read the comments of donarun who has upsized his ANHC, but is not happy with fuel efficiency, but happy with the grip and stability at high speeds.
So if you frequently go on the highway above 100 kmph, and do not mind the drop in mileage you can consider the up sizing.

HC
Old 20th March 2011, 14:05   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
bluevolt,
I think you have got the best deal in the present circumstances.
In fact it is quite rare to pin the responsibility on the tire supplier and claim warranty replacement and you have done that at least 50%
Are you still considering to upsize the tires?
Hope you have read the comments of donarun who has upsized his ANHC, but is not happy with fuel efficiency, but happy with the grip and stability at high speeds.
So if you frequently go on the highway above 100 kmph, and do not mind the drop in mileage you can consider the up sizing.

HC
Quite true HC, I really got very good deal IMO. Earlier Goodyear were offering me 25% rebate, but when I insisted Ring Road Honda to look into this matter, they helped me to increase rebate to 50%. I am very happy with Honda people; they could have easily disapproved my warranty claim as it was not exactly a manufacturing defect.

Most of my commuting is on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway and Delhi ring road where I drive at speeds of around 80-120 and I didn't noticed any problem in stability etc. I even did 150 KM/h on NH1 with four people on board and it was stable, but there was lots of tire noise for sure. Up sizing tire will definitely decrease mileage but I will consider upgrading after 10K KM mark. Will this void warranty?

@All ANHC owners, what top speed have you achieved in your car?
Old 25th March 2011, 21:49   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hi friends,
Pardon my ignorance, I want to know that how can I notice that i-VTEC has actually kicked in? (at what RPM and is there any indicator for this). When I drive over 4K, I notice something which is quite inexpressible by words i.e. some surge of power is there.

Another question in this regard, Is i-VTEC a name of some engine technology only or is it some sort of turbo charger? (like in Linea t-jet)

Sorry for such questions, but it will enlighten me.

Last edited by bluevolt : 25th March 2011 at 21:54.
Old 25th March 2011, 23:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,
Pardon my ignorance, I want to know that how can I notice that i-VTEC has actually kicked in? (at what RPM and is there any indicator for this). When I drive over 4K, I notice something which is quite inexpressible by words i.e. some surge of power is there.

Another question in this regard, Is i-VTEC a name of some engine technology only or is it some sort of turbo charger? (like in Linea t-jet)

Sorry for such questions, but it will enlighten me.
Find the info in this thread and wikipedia link. I know how it works but am poor at explaining stuff.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tec-works.html

VTEC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 26th March 2011, 06:11   #54
BHPian

Having read both the links above, it appears that you will not know when the i-Vtec kicks in. Probably we can assume that the i-Vtec has kicked in once the RPM hits 4 k or more!
Old 26th March 2011, 07:38   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Having read both the links above, it appears that you will not know when the i-Vtec kicks in. Probably we can assume that the i-Vtec has kicked in once the RPM hits 4 k or more!
Watch this movie at Honda website. This is for R18 engines, thats what we have in our Honda Civics. I know more about my car...

Honda Worldwide | New 1.8l i-VTEC Engine

VTEC kicks in at 3500 RPM, therefore the power starts coming from all 4 cylinders, instead of three!

R18 is designed to - deliver better FE @ RPM <3500, OR deliver better performance @ RPM >3500.

Another healthy reading!

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/R18A/index.html

The 'i' part in i-VTEC, I presume, relates to variable valve timing, which is always activated in a running motor, since the computer is controlling the valve timing for continuous efficiency.

As I said, I am poor at explaining things, but I understand how it works in my car!

EDIT: bluevolt and nandu also asked how to know vtec is working there? You are right, the surge of power and slight change in exhaust sound is the hint that vtec has kicked in. The power surge feels a little late than actual RPM switch point though!

Last edited by Ace F355 : 26th March 2011 at 07:42.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2011, 14:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ace for those links, that video is awesome. What i have understood by now is that

1.) I-VTEC is not a turbocharger but sort of camshaft configuration mechanism (or something like that, I am too poor in explaining stuff like ace, you can PM me ace)

2.) i-VTEC provides both fuel efficiency and performance.

But still I am not very clear on when actually i-VTEC kicks in i.e. is that dependent only on RPM or with combination of gear + RPM. We can rev the car in neutral also, does that makes i-VTEC to activate?
I know these might be very stupid queries from my side and may irritate many experts. Sorry guys but i want to clear my doubts as many of my friends keep asking me about this i-VTEC stuff.

Last edited by bluevolt : 26th March 2011 at 14:04.
Old 26th March 2011, 20:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new car, I love this shade in the ANHC .
The kind of puncture that you described happened to me ( with my Swift) once. I was travelling on the Mumbai - Nashik highway and there was a place where blasting of rocks ( to widen roads) had happened an hour back . The whole place was strewn with sharp jagged edged small stones - the road was dusty under construction so the car was travelling at less than 20 kmph. One sharp edge just ripped my tyre wall, it looked as if someone had scooped it out with a sharp knife . It really depends on the angle and the load of the car, rather than the speed of the car, in this kind of scenario . Great that you changed the tyres rather than repaired it as ANHC being a powerful car would need the extra bit of strength in the tyre walls if you are travelling at 100+ kmph speeds.

On your query about i-Vtec, hope this honda link helps http://world.honda.com/automobile-technology/i-VTEC/-
The kicking would be synchronised with the engine rpm , higher revs would be understood by the car as demand for more power ( sacrificing economy) and it would then kick in Vtec.

Happy and safe driving
Old 26th March 2011, 20:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a call from Goodyear representative and said that they can’t send a person to my place/office; instead I have to visit one of their authorized dealers for the inspection. But as today is monday, the shops are closed. I am going out of station for 4-5 days and will follow this case after coming back.

Friends, I fill 33 PSI of air in my tyres instead of 30PSI and 32PSI; will this cause any harm to them?
Over inflation would cause the tyre wear to happen at the base because less surface area would be supporting the entire weight (and thus bear the brunt of friction) so ideally you should stick to rated pressures. Make sure that the rated pressure is what your (cold) tyre is inflated to . I do over-inflate but only when the pressure is being checked on a warm/hot tyre but seldom by more than a point.
Old 26th March 2011, 23:33   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Congrats on your new car, I love this shade in the ANHC .
Thanks saurav for your wishes.

Quote:
On your query about i-Vtec, hope this honda link helps http://world.honda.com/automobile-technology/i-VTEC/-
Thanks for the link, it’s really informative. Honda should provide such content for Indian website also.

Quote:
so ideally you should stick to rated pressures.
Ever since the tyre incident happened, I am sticking to rated pressure only. Earlier the Air filling guy at petrol pump was in doubt about the pressure to be filled as he doesn't have the chart and told me that most Honda City owners fill 33 Psi in their tyres, now I have changed the pump.
Old 1st April 2011, 22:03   #60
Senior - BHPian

Today I observed that the washer fluid has finished up as the wipers were running dry when I used the spray lever.

So what should I do now? In my WagonR I use Colin and water in ratio of 50:50, Should i use similar mixture in this car also? One of my friends who also own ANHC uses mixture of shampoo water in his car for this purpose.

PS - The car completed 3000 KMs today and MID is showing Average of 14.5 KMPL.

Last edited by bluevolt : 1st April 2011 at 22:08.

Most Viewed