Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:34   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Samurai, congrats on having your car up and running again. So, it was ECM? Isn't it located out of water's reach in the event of pressure-wash?

BTW, I was under impression that your shifter mechanism or solenoid were the culprits. Anyway, all is well that ends well.
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:44   #167
MAS
Senior - BHPian

@Samurai: good to hear that the car is back to normal. Thank God the problem was not serious. Enjoy your drive!!

MODS: Would suggest that the title of the thread be modified to (Problem-Now Solved)
Old 4th May 2011, 00:17   #168
Team-BHP Support

The car is not yet back to normal, we are still awaiting the new ECM to arrive from Chennai. I'll probably get the car back by next Monday.
Old 4th May 2011, 08:24   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Since he suspected ECM, he ordered the spare kit from Bangalore for testing it. I figured he must be an expert since he methodically went about it and identified the problem.
With the new ECU, the technician just needs to "pair" the ECU with the existing keys, a simple 10 min job. I don't know if this holds true in Hyundai cars.

Quote:
I hope you are not expecting me to answer that.
No, but do raise this query when you get back the car from them.

Quote:
The car is not yet back to normal, we are still awaiting the new ECM to arrive from Chennai. I'll probably get the car back by next Monday.
ECM must be same AFAIK, only the datasets differ usually. Anyway, good that the car is getting back on track.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 4th May 2011 at 08:28.
Old 8th May 2011, 07:59   #170
Team-BHP Support

The ECM is yet to reach Mangalore. If they had sent it even by ship from Chennai to Mangalore, it would have reached by now. They are relying on bus cargo from Bangalore, so it hasn't reached it.

Now I am hoping Monday it might happen.
Old 9th May 2011, 10:38   #171
Team-BHP Support

Got a call from Advaith Mangalore. The new ECM is installed and car is back to normal. The SA will drive the car to Udupi (Autoland) and then give me a call.
Old 9th May 2011, 11:50   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Got a call from Advaith Mangalore. The new ECM is installed and car is back to normal. The SA will drive the car to Udupi (Autoland) and then give me a call.
Great news Samurai
Hope the problem is permanently put to bed!
Old 10th May 2011, 12:16   #173
Team-BHP Support

IT'S BAAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKKK!!!

Today the i10 was driven down from Advaith Mangalore to Autoland-Udupi by the Service Manager of Advaith along with a SA. I took take test drive, and everything was back to normal.

The Invoice had only one item - ECU - at zero cost. Even labour was free. I just signed, checked that both recoded keys work and then drove away happy.

I asked how it all happened. They only changed the ECU, nothing else. The ECU defect is internal, there is nothing visible from from outside, no sign of any physical damage. It will be sent back to Hyundai Factory for analysis.

My heart-felt thanks to both Advaith and Autoland for resolving the problem quickly. Next week my family will be back in Bangalore and i10 will again become indispensable unlike the last one month.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 12:26   #174
BHPian

Quote:

Today the i10 was driven down from Advaith Mangalore to Autoland-Udupi by the Service Manager of Advaith along with a SA. I took take test drive, and everything was back to normal.

The Invoice had only one item - ECU - at zero cost. Even labour was free. I just signed, checked that both recoded keys work and then drove away happy.

I asked how it all happened. They only changed the ECU, nothing else. The ECU defect is internal, there is nothing visible from from outside, no sign of any physical damage. It will be sent back to Hyundai Factory for analysis.

My heart-felt thanks to both Advaith and Autoland for resolving the problem quickly. Next week my family will be back in Bangalore and i10 will again become indispensable unlike the last one month.
Thats great news Samurai, cheers
Do update the thread if hyundai gets back to you with any info about the old ECU.
Old 10th May 2011, 12:39   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT (BIG PROBLEM: Found!)

Quote:
What excitement, Sharath! You sound like a kid who got a puppy for his fifth birthday!
Quote:
The Invoice had only one item - ECU...
Err... a clarification - this is the control module that takes care of the gearshifts (aka the transmission control module), isn't it? Or is it the engine control module? or are both the ECM and TCM integrated into one unit?
Quote:
...resolving the problem quickly.
Almost 3 weeks to fix the issue from the day it occurred (22nd April). Not satisfactory IMO.
Old 10th May 2011, 12:40   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is good news. What make is your ECU, any idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Thats great news Samurai, cheers
Do update the thread if hyundai gets back to you with any info about the old ECU.
Yes, this must be known to you, keep us updated.

Spike
Old 10th May 2011, 13:39   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
What excitement, Sharath! You sound like a kid who got a puppy for his fifth birthday!
I needed it back by this week, so I am happy.

Quote:
Err... a clarification - this is the control module that takes care of the gearshifts (aka the transmission control module), isn't it? Or is it the engine control module? or are both the ECM and TCM integrated into one unit?
Considering how it affected the AT gearbox, I suspect it is an integrated one.

Quote:
Almost 3 weeks to fix the issue from the day it occurred (22nd April). Not satisfactory IMO.
You must consider the fact that I am 400kms away from a metro. The problem was beyond the expertise of the local service center. They had to interface with a larger service center in the next district. Finally they handed over the car to them. Spare ECUs are not available, they had to get it from Bangalore. Once the problem was found, it took another week to get the new ECU from the factory. I guess the whole episode would have been over by a week if I was in Bangalore. But being in a small town, delayed things a lot. I had told them that I don't need to use the car until May 15th, after that it is indispensable. They gave it back to me with 5 days to spare, so I am fine with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
That is good news. What make is your ECU, any idea?
No idea, I didn't ask.
Old 12th May 2011, 21:11   #178
Team-BHP Support

Now the car is lot smoother than I could ever remember. Now I am suspecting the ECM problem must have started earlier than the first service. I think it gradually got bad.

When I went from Manipal to Bangalore after delivery, I got nearly 15kmpl FE. And I was climbing the hills.

When I drove from Bangalore to Manipal, I got only 12kmpl FE. At first I thought the car was loaded, and I was probably driving little aggressively. Then I remembered I was driving downhill in this trip. There was no reason for the FE to drop so much. Also remember feeling the brake fighting back during panic brakes.

This weekend I will be travelling back to Bangalore, will know the full extent of the difference after ECM change.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:24   #179
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I drove back to Bangalore, took a longer route. Despite a fully loaded car, climbing the ghat, many high rpm passing maneuvers, Bangalore traffic for the last 16kms, I managed to get 420kms from 28lt. That is exactly 15kmpl of FE. Compare this with the 12kmpl I got while down the ghat to Manipal last month under very similar driving conditions.

This means ECM was gradually failing even before the first service.
Old 24th June 2011, 10:13   #180
MCR
BHPian

I test drove the Asta Variant two days ago. I must say that i10 Auto is an excellent car. The build quality is top notch and so is the interior plastic parts quality. The Asta variant comes with a sunroof as well. The driveability of the car is simply excellent. Its so easy to drive around in a congested city like Bangalore. Costs around 7.3 lakhs on-road, but its easy to fall for it considering the feature list, easy driveability and sufficiently good FE.

Last edited by MCR : 24th June 2011 at 10:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks