Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 15:13   #76
BHPian

re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Just came across this thread.
@Samurai - Congrats on the car. Looks neat.
But with all due respect to the goat, why on earth would you park a brand new car in between them like that? What if the car ended up with scratches?
Old 21st February 2011, 15:14   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
8.4 kpl figure of i10 AT? Isn't it shocking? I think this is where A-Star Auto shines. Someone I know gets 14-15 kpl in city driving on his A-Star Auto.
Well, for me FE is not the only criteria. Otherwise my wife and I are very happy with the driving/ownership experiences so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The performance on flooring the accelerator and FE are surprisingly low. I was expecting the i10 automatic to give a FE of around 11 - 12.
I was not surprised about the performance while flooring. But I too hoped for 11-12kmpl, but not surprised at 8.4 either. It seems to be giving same FE as Santro AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Samurai I have heard the i10 AT gives around 8 kmpl in city and your post is confirmation. What's the reason for that?
I am not technical enough to tell you why, may be too much braking and accelerating. This car gives 16kmpl on good highways. But on congested city roads, the FE almost halves.
Old 21st February 2011, 16:25   #78
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, personal criteria aside, isn't i10 a fuel guzzler then? I mean, 2.4 litre Honda CRV also returns nearly as many kmpl. Hyundais may have other virutes but certainly fuel efficiency is not one of them. Please do not for once think I am bashing Hyundai here. Just that I fail to digest 7-8 kmpl from such a small car. And I think in the present times that we live in, fuel efficiency is one of THE most important criteria.
Old 21st February 2011, 19:27   #79
Team-BHP Support

Well, automatics in stop-n-go traffic rarely give good FE because they are constantly changing gears, much more than MT cars. You have to consider my i10 city FE knowing that it only does very short runs. Most days it is 6 sessions of driving, each session lasting 1Km. Longer trips of 10-20kms happen only on weekends. People who drive 10-30kms everyday might enjoy better FE.
Old 21st February 2011, 23:16   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, automatics in stop-n-go traffic rarely give good FE because they are constantly changing gears, much more than MT cars. You have to consider my i10 city FE knowing that it only does very short runs. Most days it is 6 sessions of driving, each session lasting 1Km. Longer trips of 10-20kms happen only on weekends. People who drive 10-30kms everyday might enjoy better FE.
Thats the reason for 8.4 kmpl. Perfectly acceptable for those conditions as the engine is running rich almost every time and never warms up to optimum efficiency levels.
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:05   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Thats the reason for 8.4 kmpl. Perfectly acceptable for those conditions as the engine is running rich almost every time and never warms up to optimum efficiency levels.
Quote:
When we get restless, say like in a traffic jam, our feet will be the first sign of this getting manifested, and will need some extra-tactile feel to be re-assured. And a lightfoot becomes a little heavy on the pedal.

Compare this with the un-geared 2-wheelers, our grip will get tighter, and our need for the tactile is completed, without needing to use the system to add to the fuel usage.

One of the reasons, i guess, the 2 wheelers perform better vis-a-vis 4 wheelers on the manual and auto versions.
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:17   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
But with all due respect to the goat, why on earth would you park a brand new car in between them like that? What if the car ended up with scratches?
First of all, I love mutton. Second of all, I love to shoot cars with strange background/foregrounds. Wish the sun was not that harsh at that time, this shot would have been much better with overcast cloud. Unlike humans, goats can see the car and go around it. No, they won't touch the car. Humans do such silly stuff.

It is a staged shot, only the goat-herders don't know that . Whenever I come across these goat herds going in the same direction as my car, I stop my car 100 meters ahead and start taking some test shots to get right exposure, etc. As the goats start crossing the car, I get the right shot.

Here is another with the GV.

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:21   #83
BHPian

Wolf amongst sheep/goats?
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:26   #84
Senior - BHPian

Trying to "hide" your cars, eh?
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:13   #85
BHPian

Samurai's goAT!!

I liked the GV pic more though!
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:27   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Unlike humans, goats can see the car and go around it. No, they won't touch the car. Humans do such silly stuff.
Lol. You really had me on the floor with this one
Old 22nd February 2011, 18:40   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Samurai I have heard the i10 AT gives around 8 kmpl in city and your post is confirmation. What's the reason for that?
Some of it is down to the traffic conditions. Bangalore being the worst. Another i-10 AT user from Pune (Dieselite) has reported 12 kmpl.
Old 22nd February 2011, 21:17   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Some of it is down to the traffic conditions. Bangalore being the worst. Another i-10 AT user from Pune (Dieselite) has reported 12 kmpl.
I used to get 10 kpl till I got bored and started flooring the accelerator every once in a while...

Net result - drop in FE of about 1-1.5 kpl without any change in acceleration

The AT box is seriously slow esp between 40-80 kph !
Old 23rd February 2011, 02:51   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
The AT box is seriously slow esp between 40-80 kph !
Ya I know. The high revving Kappa2 is a gem of and engine but is wasted here. They should have offered the more torquey IRDE2 instead and dropped the price lower.
Old 27th February 2011, 00:18   #90
BHPian

My i10 Sportz AT gave me shocking figures of 7-8 kmpl within city with AC for the first few months. By the time of 2nd service, I started getting consistent 11 kmpl within city with moderate AC. In the meanwhile, I also learned how to upshift quickly by pressing and releasing the accelerator at the right RPM - which may have helped a lot.

Quote:
Finally I found the city FE of our i10. It is just 8.4kmpl , we mainly use it for short drives everyday, and different mall visits every weekend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks