Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 18:15   #91
BHPian

re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Darkening has helped in non reflective front wind screen in the new version of i10. Accepted. Is this not a manufacturing defect and should not Hyundai recall for a replacement / modification?

I request all the Hyundai owners to provide their inputs. Whether we can take it up to Hyundai through T-BHP?

MODS: If this is off topic pl put it in the relative thread.
Old 14th March 2011, 12:31   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
Darkening has helped in non reflective front wind screen in the new version of i10. Accepted. Is this not a manufacturing defect and should not Hyundai recall for a replacement / modification?
Don't think it can be considered a manufacturing defect. Find out whether you can change the color of the dash using some kind of paint.

BTW, have an update on the FE. Today I filled up petrol, 31.5L and 320kms on the tripmeter. That means I got a FE of 10.1kmpl this time.

It was mostly used for short city runs, but I did one trip to Innovative film city at Bidadi. But then more than half that route was city driving.
Old 20th March 2011, 21:58   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Switching off O/D is useful while climbing a hill or descending hill where overdrive is not required. It gives engine braking and better control over the speed. But it won't make the i10 accelerate faster. If you floor the pedal, the transmission will down shift and use lower gear. Therefore, all the sudden accelerations for sporty driving are provided by lower gears and. Switching overdrive on or off don’t have any effect on sudden acceleration. By switching it off, you are merely limiting the AT to just 3 lower gears.
Congratulations Samurai for owning this AT beauty and thanks for sharing the detailed feedback of your ride.

Have one query -

I read your review and this post especially but still have this doubt

For example, if I am going downhill, in MTs, I`ll change to 1st gear for very steep slope and 2nd/3rd gear for little less slope with occasional braking depending on the traffic with minimal use of accelerator, similar for uphill, mostly it`ll be 2nd gears (or 3rd) and for hair-pins, depending on the traffic / load on car, mostly 1st gear with a foot most of the time on the accelerator.

As per post #47, can you please explain, what are the options best to select in these scenarios - uphill & downhill ?
Old 20th March 2011, 22:34   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
For example, if I am going downhill, in MTs, I`ll change to 1st gear for very steep slope and 2nd/3rd gear for little less slope with occasional braking depending on the traffic with minimal use of accelerator, similar for uphill, mostly it`ll be 2nd gears (or 3rd) and for hair-pins, depending on the traffic / load on car, mostly 1st gear with a foot most of the time on the accelerator.

As per post #47, can you please explain, what are the options best to select in these scenarios - uphill & downhill ?
In AT cars one generally doesn't use engine braking. That is because if you are shifting gears while moving, there is a danger of shifting to the wrong position in the AT gear shift. Therefore, in most slopes, brakes are used instead of engine braking. However, if you are facing a very lengthy slope (say back-to-back hairpins) that demands low gear, you can shift to 2 or L position in the gear shift.

In case of uphill driving, you don't have to do anything. The AT transmission will correctly shift to the lower gears as needed.
Old 20th March 2011, 22:58   #95
BHPian

Thanks Samurai for the quick and detailed response.
Old 14th April 2011, 15:16   #96
Team-BHP Support

The i10 is back in Manipal, this time it carried the entire family and luggage from Bangalore. This time I did some aggressive driving and saw the low fuel light going up at 370kms at Karkala. Got just about 12kmph of FE thanks to that.

At 1600kms, now it is ready for the first free service, that will happen next week. Right now it is sitting idle since I have all three of my cars at one place. A rare thing indeed.

Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT-p4116043.jpg
Old 14th April 2011, 16:13   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
In case of uphill driving, you don't have to do anything. The AT transmission will correctly shift to the lower gears as needed.
Won't the car try to creep up to higher gears during any short duration of the climb when the steepness decreases, leading to strain on the engine ? Asking because I recently did a trip to Idukki (high-range) in our A-Star_AT and initially I decided to let the transmission choose the gears while going uphill. But found the engine to be straining at some steep climbs. So decided to make the choice myself and was mostly in L or 2 (rarely 3) while going up and found the car doing the climb without strain. Ofcourse while going downhill, I used 2 mostly to get engine braking. Add the fact that the car was overloaded (5 adults of average build and 4 kids + a fully loaded boot).

Quote:
I have all three of my cars at one place. A rare thing indeed.
Indeed a nice garage. Your (ex)Baleno would have completed the picture.
Old 14th April 2011, 18:28   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Won't the car try to creep up to higher gears during any short duration of the climb when the steepness decreases, leading to strain on the engine ? Asking because I recently did a trip to Idukki (high-range) in our A-Star_AT and initially I decided to let the transmission choose the gears while going uphill. But found the engine to be straining at some steep climbs. So decided to make the choice myself and was mostly in L or 2 (rarely 3) while going up and found the car doing the climb without strain.
In a well designed auto-transmission gearbox, this should not happen. I am actually surprised you had to use that. Have you tried giving little more A-pedal to force it into lower gears?
Old 14th April 2011, 18:57   #99
Team-BHP Support

Nice review there Samurai-san.I see mileage of about 9-10 on my Sportz AT. That again as you said is because, its driven for about 10-30 daily and the first drive of the day is early morning which adds to the mileage.

Though its taken out for long drives, max we have done is Bannerghatta park and Hosur.

But nonetheless, fantastic for city for the hassle ride it gives.

Also I did not go for an upgrade on the tyres, but using the stock ones only. Since it was mainly to drive in the city, I did not think about upgrading.

But yes the stock tyres do look a bit puny to me.
Old 15th April 2011, 00:43   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
In a well designed auto-transmission gearbox, this should not happen. I am actually surprised you had to use that. Have you tried giving little more A-pedal to force it into lower gears?
Giving a little more A-pedal should definately force the autobox to shift down. The Honda Civic is equipped with grade logic so it analyzes the gradient and then decides on the gear it should change or hold onto.

@supremeBaleno That's a full load you had there.
Old 15th April 2011, 01:12   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Add the fact that the car was overloaded (5 adults of average build and 4 kids + a fully loaded boot).
Overloaded is an understatement, all this weight on a poor 800 cc car and you are complaining of engine strain on an incline ? SB, this is half your car.
Old 15th April 2011, 10:17   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you tried giving little more A-pedal to force it into lower gears?
Though I was aware that this option is available to force it into lower gears, I did not do it. Maybe because of my having always used MT, where if the engine is lugging, the last thing you do is push down the A-pedal. I think this is why I am hesitant to try even simple overtaking manouvres with the AT car. Need to try changing.

@mdsaab, initial plan was me, wifey, 3-yr old son, sis, BIL, 7-year old niece and 12-year old niece. My other sister and her 3-year old son opted in at the last moment. We could have taken the Swift also along, but the fun of travelling together would have been lost. Tried to get a rental (self-driven) Tavera, but did not work out. So...

@e_l, it is 1000cc - the same K-series engine in the AltoK10, Estilo and WagonR. But yeah, you are right - it should have been torture for the car, given the overload and the uphill climb.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 15th April 2011 at 10:40.
Old 15th April 2011, 12:46   #103
Senior - BHPian

Indeed it is best when the whole family travels together. Glad you tried to hire a large vehicle before squeezing them into your hatch.

Dont worry about lugging the engine in an AT. Its not going to happen. When the engine starts straining the autobox shifts down for you. So next time you want to overtake just push the A-pedal down a bit further to get the box to shift down. Also dont jab it to the floor as this will get the autobox to shift down maybe not one gear but two. And then the kickback can be manic. Had experienced this in the civic once, and it took me by surprise. Once you get more comfortable with your car. She will be in sync with you and you with her. With an AT, one gets to develop this bond which is different from when driving a manual.
Old 16th April 2011, 00:26   #104

Hi Samurai...
Like you I am an i10 AT owner as well (1st gen i10 Magna AT). I have now owned it for close to a year and a half and have done about 30,000 Km on it. I love the car over all and how the AT handles itself. Even after 30,000 Km even today I get 12 kmpl within the city (first Delhi and now Pune) with AC on at all times. The only times it has gone back to workshop is to get its first three free services. Not a single mechanical problem otherwise. One of the best decisions I have ever made...
Old 16th April 2011, 23:08   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by axm358 View Post
Hi Samurai...
Like you I am an i10 AT owner as well (1st gen i10 Magna AT). I get 12 kmpl within the city (first Delhi and now Pune) with AC on at all times. ...

Axm, you are really lucky because most people say i10 is not fuel efficient. As for AT, I think FE depends more on driving habits than on car itself. There are some whose AT cars return better FE than MT version of same cars. The idea is to feather the pedal, I think, rather than stand on it. But, you can't do this in this state of AP where any steady sane driving will have some morons glueing themselves to your tail and honking till you let 'em pass, as though they are rushing to ECU.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks