Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 21:56   #121
Team-BHP Support

re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Did you check the Spark plugs connection?
Is it not possible to hook it up to the computer and verify any error codes?
Bad fuel. Something clogged the fuel filter.

[google gyan]Did the service involve wheel balancing/ alignment. Did it somehow mess up the system.[/google gyan]

2 interesting links:
http://www.ehow.com/list_5945650_hyu...-symptoms.html
http://www.ehow.com/facts_4914031_ma...-slip-car.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_6824380_diag...nsmission.html
Quote:
Automatic Transmission
1 Put your transmission in the parking position and start the engine.

2 Hold down the brake and put the shifter in the drive position. Almost instantly, the transmission should engage. If there is a delay of more than one or two seconds before the transmission engages, it may be slipping.

3 Release the brake and start driving around. Push the gas paddle slowly and pay attention when your car switches gears.

4 When the car switches to a superior gear, the RPM indicator should drop a bit, but should rise again once you step on the gas.

5 If the indicator does rise and you hear the engine accelerating but the speed of the car does not increase then that is the sign of a slipping transmission.

Last edited by bblost : 25th April 2011 at 22:20.
Old 25th April 2011, 22:03   #122
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your car. Some guy in my apartment also had this problem. Will surely let you know as soon as possible.
Old 25th April 2011, 22:13   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
[google gyan]Did the service involve wheel balancing/ alignment. Did it somehow mess up the system.[/google gyan]

Can you throw some light on how a wrong alignment/balancing can cause the car to become sluggish and underpowered?
Old 25th April 2011, 22:20   #124
MAS
Senior - BHPian

@Samurai - sorry to hear about the problem.

Looks like the mechanics have played with your AT. Putting the AT into reverse while moving forward and viceversa can screw up the AT Gear Box. Also pushing the stick to "P" while moving can give the gear box a rude shock. Guess one of this happened. I think you have to take it up with Hyundai directly.
Old 25th April 2011, 22:53   #125
Senior - BHPian

Samurai. Sorry, by dealer I meant the A.S.S guys. I have seen these A.S.S guys drive very rashly. As it is AT cars are rare. And in your small town, there may not be many. So this guy at A.S.S. Must have really ill-handled it. He might have done something stupid like engaging reverse while going forward or vice versa. Very miniscule percentage of our populace knows how to drive an AT. You should also refrain from handing the keys to valet. Better park it yourself.
Old 25th April 2011, 23:25   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
What happens if you select D, apply brakes, and try to rev the engine?
I tried it after you mentioned it. Nothing strange happens. It fights the brakes while standing there.

If I quickly move from P to N, nothing happens. If I stop at R, I get the violent jerk. I even moved from P to R without touching the brakes. It gives the jerk, and then starts moving back.

After doing a few forwards and backwards, revving with brakes on, etc., I went down the slope from my office in L. It went faster than I expected, without any A-pedal. I turned around at the bottom for the uphill. I expected the same extreme sluggishness like in afternoon, but it climbed fine this time. As I reached the top, I felt the sluggishness coming back. So, it is inconsistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Thinking aloud: Water in the AT ECM during pressure washing caused a short circuit? Where is that ECM located?
But the engine sounds perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Did you check the Spark plugs connection?
Is it not possible to hook it up to the computer and verify any error codes?
Bad fuel. Something clogged the fuel filter.
I have seen no effect on the engine note. It is perfectly normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Samurai. Sorry, by dealer I meant the A.S.S guys. I have seen these A.S.S guys drive very rashly. As it is AT cars are rare. And in your small town, there may not be many. So this guy at A.S.S. Must have really ill-handled it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Looks like the mechanics have played with your AT. Putting the AT into reverse while moving forward and viceversa can screw up the AT Gear Box. Also pushing the stick to "P" while moving can give the gear box a rude shock. Guess one of this happened. I think you have to take it up with Hyundai directly.
These guys have been servicing my Santro AT for many years. It would be very odd if they tried it. I think there is a built-in protection about that. If you put the moving car to P, it will slip and not engage. Besides, I don't want to accuse anybody before the problem has been identified.
Old 26th April 2011, 00:03   #127
Team-BHP Support

Really sorry to hear this news Samu. I suggest you try once with the dealer workshop also. Seems like a tranny issue, might be the electronics which are acting up due to a pressure wash. Just a wild guess.
Old 26th April 2011, 00:24   #128
BHPian

Samurai, sorry to hear your problem. Few years back, I had faced a similar problem with my Mazda 626 after a service. Took the car to a good transmission shop and the mechanic detected loose cables in the AT box. Apparently the service guy took these out and forgot to put them back tightly. Not sure if your problem is also from similar sources but do check the transmission fluid levels. There is a dipstick to check hot and cold levels of the fluid. A low level of fluid may cause problem. Also, it sounds like your gears are not shifting beyond 3rd - which may mean OD is not getting engaged. Again sounds like something is wrong in the circuitry.
Old 26th April 2011, 09:35   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But the engine sounds perfectly fine.
Sharath, the AT gearbox is governed by a separate electronic control module, not related to the engine control module - that was what I was referring to.
Old 26th April 2011, 13:57   #130
Team-BHP Support

Here is a clear demonstration of the problem. Car is stationary all the time.

I gave the car back to the service station with the full printout of this thread from page 8 onwards. They are going to look at each idea and check it out.
Old 26th April 2011, 14:23   #131
Senior - BHPian

Appears like a GB mount has sheared. Pl let us know the actual outcome!
Old 26th April 2011, 15:15   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I tried it after you mentioned it. Nothing strange happens. It fights the brakes while standing there.
So not a torque converter locking up prematurely problem. The engine would have stalled.

Quote:
Sharath, the AT gearbox is governed by a separate electronic control module, not related to the engine control module - that was what I was referring to.
If the GB is GCU controlled, best is to ask the GCU!
Is the GCU and ECU CANed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Appears like a GB mount has sheared.
The vibration definitely suggests that. But cannot account for the lack of torque when driving.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 26th April 2011, 19:58   #133
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, hope it is something simple and is resolved at the earliest.

Though it is not correct to point fingers at the A.S.S. without proof, the fact that the problem started after 1st service surely puts them at a disadvantage.

I was scared crazy giving the A*-AT for 1st service at the local MASS where they had never ever done an AT car before. Though the 1st service went off without issues, after this incident, maybe I will just stay put at the service centre for the whole duration for future services.
Old 26th April 2011, 21:45   #134
Senior - BHPian

It seems like either a busted shift solenoid or the the pressure regulator is malfunctioning and therefore supplying excess pressure to the clutch.

Quote:
Where is that ECM located?
Most modern cars, its bolted to the case itself..some are inside the oil pan. Not remote mounted anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
If the GB is GCU controlled, best is to ask the GCU!
Is the GCU and ECU CANed?
Usually called TCM and yes it talks to the ECM via CANbus.

Could try reflashing the TCM I guess.

Quote:
These guys have been servicing my Santro AT for many years.
Could me a new employee who fingered it. Its either a coincidence or they messed up something and hoped it would go away or cure itself. I say you put your foot down and let them bring in an Hyundai engineer if they have to.
Old 27th April 2011, 06:11   #135
Senior - BHPian

sorry to know about such a problem - maybe this can help:

1998 Honda Civic The Car Shakes when shift from N or P > R D? - Yahoo! Answers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks