Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2011, 21:17   #61
BHPian

re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

Congrats Samurai, on the new acquisition!!Yet to see it in Manipal roads though!!

I strongly agree with the side-wall issue-the Michelin side-walls cannot withstand the roads in these parts.my energy xm1 had a side-wall tear once!!
Old 13th February 2011, 22:17   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
But then, we could always start a new thread to argue about fog being worse in whose backyard, mine or yours!
That could be an endless debate, the Agumbe fog is quite famous. But the need for fog lights is not frivolous. I have installed very powerful fog lights in my Jeep for the same purpose, and it is not for looks.

carfreak, the car won't be back in Manipal for a while.
Old 14th February 2011, 00:49   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Infact AC has always been the strong point of Hyundai.

In chennai, temperatures touch 44 deg C inside the car and the AC is pretty effective in tackling that!

IMO, MUL and TATA are the ones which have a poor AC in their cars!
Hmm Interesting, our observation in family & friend's cars (90% of which are either MUL or Hyundai) have been just opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The coastal area gets really hot. The i10 AC is much better than Santro AC. In fact, it reminded me of Baleno AC, which was legendary.
That's good then, I had not so good experience in Santro & Getz. Haven't checked a/c in my Dad's i10. He found his Alto 1.1's A/c to be much better but then again there is difference in room size.
Old 14th February 2011, 03:46   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Infact AC has always been the strong point of Hyundai.

In chennai, temperatures touch 44 deg C inside the car and the AC is pretty effective in tackling that!

IMO, MUL and TATA are the ones which have a poor AC in their cars!
I have used Santro for 3 years in Chennai and I am sick and tired of its AC and this is not the only case with me, 3 of my friends had Santro and all went through the same issue. I10 AC is far better when compared to Santro and I read in the forum that there are lot of i20 customer complains about their AC. So I would not agree your point.

TATA vehicles are known for its AC, either Indica or Sumo they were considered as best in their class when it comes to AC. I have not used MUL cars much so no comments.
Old 14th February 2011, 15:47   #65
BHPian

congrats samurai !

any reason why you didn't consider the i20 or the A star? a friend of mine is looking for an automatic and I'd like to understand your decision making process

thanks
Old 14th February 2011, 17:45   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
One thing negative we should mention about the car is the reflection we get in the front glass which quite blinds us. Is there a way out?
This problem doesn't exist anymore. The dashboard is now dark grey in color, beige is only on the doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk206 View Post
any reason why you didn't consider the i20 or the A star? a friend of mine is looking for an automatic and I'd like to understand your decision making process
1) We were switching from Santro, we didn't want to give up the tall seating. The i10 has it, i20 or A-star doesn't.
2) We already have a highway SUV, therefore we wanted a small hatch for city driving. The i10 has the optimal size we needed, A-star too small, i20 is long.
3) The i20 AT cost almost 9L on road, and still has 1.2L engine. The A-star only has a 1 liter engine. Therefore, i10 again hit the sweet spot.
Old 14th February 2011, 17:56   #67
BHPian

The i20 AT comes with a 1.4 variable valve timing engine.

Pradeep
Quote:
3) The i20 AT cost almost 9L on road, and still has 1.2L engine. The A-star only has a 1 liter engine. Therefore, i10 again hit the sweet spot.
Old 14th February 2011, 18:04   #68
Team-BHP Support

My bad, is the performance much better than 1.2 VTVT engine? Anyway, it was too expensive for a 2nd car for me.
Old 14th February 2011, 18:26   #69
BHPian

You are not missing much :-). From bsmotoring.com:

Developing nearly 100 horses (98.6 bhp) at 5500 rpm and 13.9 kgm of turning force at 4200 revs, this motor would have been a great partner to the i20’s five-speed manual gearbox. Here, the automatic tranny is a lazy friend to the peppy powerplant. For most purposes, the gearbox does its duty as expected – it makes the commute effortless and upshifts and downshifts at its own pace. In other words, it’s a gearbox with the mind of a city commuter. What it doesn’t do is match your enthusiasm for redlining and winning the traffic signal grand prix. It is not an intuitive unit and does not understand your urgency. The only way out is downshift to 2 while overtaking, for instance. Its relaxed nature shows in the timings. The i20 takes all of 7.3 seconds to touch 60 kph and 15.43 seconds for attaining the century mark. Mid-range times are also as expected: 12.1 seconds for the 80-120 kph dash, and 18.4 for 100-140 kph. You can get a teeny-weeny bit more responsiveness from the powertrain if you put O/D off, and that’s about it.

Hyundai i20 1.4 Automatic - Auto-pilot

Quote:
My bad, is the performance much better than 1.2 VTVT engine? Anyway, it was too expensive for a 2nd car for me.

Last edited by pradkumar : 14th February 2011 at 18:27.
Old 15th February 2011, 17:51   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Cost of Car 5,13,217
Insurance, Road Tax, Registration 1,01,490
Alloy wheel 12,750
Tyres(Extra) 6,200
Accessories.(After discount of Rs.7000) 7,556
Total 6,41,213
Wow, that is quite a bang for a small hatch! I had bought the Sportz AT earlier kappa version for OTR 4.92 in July 2009. The dealer had offered free insurance + corp discount + free anti-rust & Teflon coat. I decided to sell it off after 8 months as we relocated to overseas. Now I am back in India and wishing to buy the same car again. Dealer is quoting OTR 5.62 in Kolkata and not much freebies . I am now considering Polo/Figo MT versions as my budget is around 5 lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
IMHO... ABS definitely increases the breaking distance which is really hazardous for low speed city drives.
IMO, ABS is useful in wet conditions and prevents skids. But on a dry road, it has no advantage over non-ABS. It is better to drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish-iitm View Post
Hi Samuraj

How do you rate the headlight? I have i10 Asta( Kappa 1.2 ) bought in 2009. Headlight is very weak, gives very poor night visibility.
Krish
I also found the headlights to be poor in my 2009 Sportz and wished Hyundai had provided more powerful lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Whats wrong with you guys.

There is a button on the shifter lever (Overdrive switch maybe), not the regular shifter button. Press that, and the car is ready for a spirited drive

Surprising you guys have not noticed.
As per Hyundai website, the AT gearstick and the steering wheel both are leather covered but it is not showing in these pictures. Am I missing something?
Old 17th February 2011, 15:49   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post
As per Hyundai website, the AT gearstick and the steering wheel both are leather covered but it is not showing in these pictures. Am I missing something?
The AT stick and the steering wheel are indeed leather covered, very snuggly I must add. You need to look closely.

Earlier, somebody wondered what happens if you drive i10 AT with a heavy foot. When you suddenly floor the pedal, nothing happens for a second. Then the transmission down-shifts suddenly and engine squeals like a pig. Then the vehicle accelerates. Overall, it is not a nice feeling. Therefore, you have to drive the i10 AT with a gentle foot and it will behave perfectly. I don't expect anything different from i20 AT either. If you want a sporty car, stick to manual. The only AT car I have previously owned that could respond instantly was the Acura, and that one had a 3.2L engine.
Old 21st February 2011, 13:14   #72
Team-BHP Support

Finally I found the city FE of our i10. It is just 8.4kmpl , we mainly use it for short drives everyday, and different mall visits every weekend.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:07   #73
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, uncontrollable laughter at 8.4 kpl figure of i10 AT? Isn't it shocking? I think this is where A-Star Auto shines. Someone I know gets 14-15 kpl in city driving on his A-Star Auto.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:44   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Samurai,

Was very interested by your thread as a friend is looking at an automatic hatch for in-city use and is down to the A-star & i10. The performance on flooring the accelerator and FE are surprisingly low. I was expecting the i10 automatic to give a FE of around 11 - 12.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:50   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai I have heard the i10 AT gives around 8 kmpl in city and your post is confirmation. What's the reason for that? In my new Vento AT, I am getting around 10 kmpl in city conditions. The worst I have got is 8.6 kmpl over a 60 km crawl that took 3 and a half hours. And this is a 1.6 litre engine.

Most Viewed