Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2012, 14:59   #181
BHPian

Re: Finally a modern hatch: Hyundai i10 Sportz AT

hi samurai,

My I10 AT 1.2 VTVT has done around ~2.7K km.

One issue, there's a strange 'rattling'/'lugging' from the engine (comes from the lower region - front bottom) noise when I'm climbing up steep inclines, especially in 1st or 2nd gear (sounds just like a manual geared car doing very low speeds in high gears uphill and struggling)

When I press the throttle more and/or when I switch the A/C on, it becomes louder. Not too loud, but definitely noticeable.

Any idea what this might be? Bad fuel? Faulty fuel pump? Or is the car doing climbing in 2nd gear? Bit worried about this. Is this the same with your car?
Old 2nd January 2012, 13:14   #182
BHPian

I have been facing the same issue since a month after delivery. My i10 was unlucky in several ways - there wasnt adequate petrol on delivery and the car came to a complete halt on my way back home. The guys at the dealership came with a bottle of petrol and filled it - God knows what the condition of the bottle was! :-) With mty family in the car and at 9PM, I wasn't too quality cautious.

The next was when this guy at the pump filled in Diesel instead of Petrol :-( Noticed it soon after the diesel got pumped in and stopped the car. The tank was cleaned properly.

Even before the second incident happened, I had noticed a strange "knocking" sound from the engine. Initially, it was there only during gear shifts while climbing gradiants. After a month, its there always! The guys at the dealership say the cars produced before May 2011 had that problem. They say the problem is with the ECM. They have another i10 AT with a similar problem, but changing the ECM didnt work in that case.

I just cannot believe it. Can someone help? The entire driving pleasure is spoilt because of this omnipresent sound that makes me unhappy :(
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:17   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
hi samurai,

My I10 AT 1.2 VTVT has done around ~2.7K km.

One issue, there's a strange 'rattling'/'lugging' from the engine (comes from the lower region - front bottom) noise when I'm climbing up steep inclines, especially in 1st or 2nd gear (sounds just like a manual geared car doing very low speeds in high gears uphill and struggling)
Same problem with mine. The difference being that the noise is only present between 30 and 50 km /hr and disappears after that. Also, this happens only under medium acceleration, the noise isnt present if feathering the accelerator or in kickdown.
I had complained to Safdarjang Hyundai during my 3rd free service about this, but as usual, the complaints were not heeded and I need to make a personal visit.
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:56   #184
Team-BHP Support

Fortunately, I don't have any engine noise problem. My ECM was changed in May due to a strange problem, which is discussed in the previous pages.

If 3 of you are having the same problem, then this is not a stray problem.
Old 3rd January 2012, 00:07   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Same problem with mine. The difference being that the noise is only present between 30 and 50 km /hr and disappears after that. Also, this happens only under medium acceleration, the noise isnt present if feathering the accelerator or in kickdown.
I had complained to Safdarjang Hyundai during my 3rd free service about this, but as usual, the complaints were not heeded and I need to make a personal visit.
JishD, I'll check this too. I have a feeling this might exist in my car too - I'll switch off the A/C and Radio and hear this carefully. I also don't get this on feather throttling/kickdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If 3 of you are having the same problem, then this is not a stray problem.
Sigh, hope it's not anything serious.

BTW, I also have this 'resonance'/'boominess' at approx 3200 RPM when climbing uphill and depressing the accelerator. Goes away if kick down happens/revs increase/OD off. I think the torque converter locks up, the car is lugging and the revs only climb up a bit lazily.
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:53   #186
Team-BHP Support

The i10 is basically my wife's errand car and runs about 500kms a month. After the first service resulted in a corrupted ECM, I have been extremely wary of unnecessary service station visit. The car went out of action for nearly a month after the last service.

This time I waited for 5000kms to complete before giving it to second free service, it nearly took 10 months to complete 5000kms. Today I handed the car for second service at Trident Hyundai service station in Kalyan Nagar. The car has no problem whatsoever as of now, except for the bent mud flaps that foul with the tyres at full turn.

When the SA noticed that the car is closer to 10 months, he started saying it may not qualify for 2nd free service. I asked him to give it in writing, then he said Hyundai is the one who will reject it. I still said I want it in writing so that I can take it up directly with Hyundai.

Ideally the 2nd service should be at 5000kms or 6 months, but mine had completed only 2000kms at 6 months. What is the point in doing 1st service at 1000kms, losing a month of usage to faulty ECM, and after 1000kms give it again for 2nd service?

If they reject it, what am I supposed to do, use 3rd free service? The stuff they do in 3rd service applies to 20,000kms usage. What is the point in doing 20,000kms service to a 5000kms car?

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd January 2012 at 10:55.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:41   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

If they reject it, what am I supposed to do, use 3rd free service? The stuff they do in 3rd service applies to 20,000kms usage. What is the point in doing 20,000kms service to a 5000kms car?
This is a standard ploy used by dealers and Hyundai. I have heard this happen only from Hyundai. Basically they tell you that the 2nd free service time has been overshot and they cannot accept the car if it is more than one month after the 6 month interval. Then they say that car is not eligible for free service but we can do a paid service for 5000kms. Basically to make you pay for the service instead of giving free service.

Just fight it out with the ASC Samu or go to another dealer that will accept the car.

Same thing has happened with me and Toyota but have not seen any issues with them.
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:57   #188
Senior - BHPian

I always ensure that the stipulated kms are run on the car for the respective service and to do which I almost always overshoot the time part of the requirement by a month or so for all our cars, but MASS never made an issue. However, with the A-Star_AT's 3rd free service last month, the SA said MSIL might reject the free service since the due date was 8-Dec-11 and I serviced it only on 30-Dec-11. He did do the service for free, but said, "Sir, if they reject the free-service, please do pay the Rs500. Else it will be deducted from my salary". I told him that they wont reject (atleast from past experience), but if they do, I will pay the 500bucks.

In your case, you overshot by 4months, so maybe they do have a point. You could use the 3rd service coupon. While I agree with you that doing 20K service for a 5K run car is illogical, this is more for warranty sake, than anything else. If not for warranty, I would not take my car to MASS for even free services - would get it done at my friend's garage.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd January 2012 at 12:58.
Old 3rd January 2012, 13:09   #189
Team-BHP Support

Just got a call from them. They are honoring the free service. They will be charging for the engine oil and oil filter only.

I too have never faced this free service rejection concept before, so I was a little surprised.
Old 3rd January 2012, 19:09   #190
BHPian

Quote:
The i10 is basically my wife's errand car and runs about 500kms a month. After the first service resulted in a corrupted ECM, I have been extremely wary of unnecessary service station visit. The car went out of action for nearly a month after the last service.

This time I waited for 5000kms to complete before giving it to second free service, it nearly took 10 months to complete 5000kms. Today I handed the car for second service at Trident Hyundai service station in Kalyan Nagar. The car has no problem whatsoever as of now, except for the bent mud flaps that foul with the tyres at full turn.

When the SA noticed that the car is closer to 10 months, he started saying it may not qualify for 2nd free service. I asked him to give it in writing, then he said Hyundai is the one who will reject it. I still said I want it in writing so that I can take it up directly with Hyundai.

Ideally the 2nd service should be at 5000kms or 6 months, but mine had completed only 2000kms at 6 months. What is the point in doing 1st service at 1000kms, losing a month of usage to faulty ECM, and after 1000kms give it again for 2nd service?

As far as I recall, Hyundai offers the second service for i10 at 5000kms or 6 months, whichever comes earlier. I think this condition is mentioned on the relevant service slip in the owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
In your case, you overshot by 4months, so maybe they do have a point.
I too feel the same. My mum-in-law's friend owns a Maruti800 which had done barely 7000 kms in seven years (approx 1000 kms a year). I doubt Maruti would have entertained his claim for a free 5K service, after 2 years of ownership.

Quote:
Just got a call from them. They are honoring the free service. They will be charging for the engine oil and oil filter only.
Good for you. If Hyundai is honouring the free service four months after you "overshot" the stipulated period, it would be interesting to know if they would extend the free service and/or the normal 2-year warranty till you complete 20K kms.

Last edited by misquitas : 3rd January 2012 at 19:27.
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:13   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
As far as I recall, Hyundai offers the second service for i10 at 5000kms or 6 months, whichever comes earlier. I think this condition is mentioned on the relevant service slip in the owner's manual.
That is the recommendation. Where does it say you lose the free service if you exceed 6 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I too feel the same. My mum-in-law's friend owns a Maruti800 which had done barely 7000 kms in seven years (approx 1000 kms a year). I doubt Maruti would have entertained his claim for a free 5K service, after 2 years of ownership.
Free service just means labour is free for the service. I paid for the engine oil and oil filter. They will charge for any extra labour too. For example, I changed the broken mud flaps, and they charged for both parts and labour.

So I don't see why the customer should lose the complimentary free labour for the first 3 services on account of delay. If the delay caused any problems, they are going to charge parts+labour for the damage anyway.

Just an year back I paid the same dealership 22K for a plain old drive shaft, which is available via third party for less than 5K. It is time they gave me a break.
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:15   #192
BHPian

Its a normal for all dealers to avoid the free service and nothing to do with Hyundai. They don't even care for such trivial matters. Hyundai always honors the free service just takes some convincing nothing else.

Same thing happened to my santro went for the 5K service after a year. They initially said no and cannot be done and blah blah. Went straight to the manager and explained that the car is never used, so how can i complete 5K in 6months. He agreed to give me the free service but ensured that the next free service should be done within 3 months time and pulled out the free service slip from the book but mentione din his writing about the free service in 3 months time.
Old 3rd January 2012, 20:33   #193
BHPian

Quote:
That is the recommendation. Where does it say you lose the free service if you exceed 6 months?
Oh, I was not aware that it is a 'recommendation'. All along, I thought that this "whichever comes earlier" was a sacrosanct condition.

Quote:
Free service just means labour is free for the service. I paid for the engine oil and oil filter. They will charge for any extra labour too. For example, I changed the broken mud flaps, and they charged for both parts and labour.

So I don't see why the customer should lose the complimentary free labour for the first 3 services on account of delay. If the delay caused any problems, they are going to charge parts+labour for the damage anyway.
In reality, there is little "free" in the service. You have to pay for the consumables, extra parts and the extra labour.

Quote:
Just an year back I paid the same dealership 22K for a plain old drive shaft, which is available via third party for less than 5K. It is time they gave me a break.
Old 4th January 2012, 10:55   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Now that you said it, this is indeed a different way of looking at the recommendation which most of us sort of assume is a sacrosant condition. Hmm.
Yeah, to the best of my knowledge, I dont remember reading anywhere (in MSIL manuals) that we lose the service if the time/kms is exceeded.

BTW, for me 'free services' are something I have to go through just so that they don't put a spoke in any warranty claims. Not only do I not mind losing the "free" service, but am also happy to pay double that at a trusted non-auth garage to get the work done. The last they will see my car at MASS is till warranty is in place.
Old 4th January 2012, 11:05   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

I know we're dragging this offtopic but just my $0.02 on this 5000km/6months matter:

European carmakers generally do not have this "free service" concept at all: you just take the car in after a year or 15,000 km and pay to get it fixed. I used to find this weird when I was a Japanese/Korea car owner (that required me to bring it in at 1month, 3 months and then a year if I remember correctly, for "free" except consumables) since I was of the opinion that the more you get the car into a service station the better it is. Now that my hairs are greyer ( ) I am beginning to see the wisdom of the Europeans: if it aint broke don't fix it. The Jap/Korean method is fine as long as you are an average or above-average user, but fails in a case like Samurai's i10AT which is not used as extensively as a "commuter" car.
Glad that Hyundai agreed to honour the free servicing. I believe your method is correct: overall it's the km run that matters more than the time elapsed. When I tried to get my Vento serviced at 12,000 km the service advisor actually told me to wait till 15,000 since some of the parts due for routine replacement still had useful life left in them.

Most Viewed