Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2015, 18:26   #151
BHPian

Re: My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Taking WagonR for 54k service tomorrow. Anything specific I need to take care off?

Also planning to get all 4 breaks replaced. How much the brake pads/drums costs?
I have just replaced the stock brake pads of my 2004 wagon r at 59k on the odo. They still could have been used for a couple of thousand kms more but I insisted the SA to replace it whatever may the condition be. I was charged 680 for the 4 pads and no labour charges for it as I think it's included in the paid service part.
I don't think the brake disks require a replacement so early.

Is this going to be a 60k major service? If yes then also get the water pump belt changed. I was charged 150 odd for the belt and 300 as labour.
Rest all the usual stuff to be taken care of. Filters and oil.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 10th October 2015 at 18:27.
Old 11th October 2015, 21:38   #152
Senior - BHPian

Got the WagonR serviced today with 53287 KMs on the ODO.

Earlier this month, we had a plan to replace WagonR with Ciaz but things didn't work out as planned http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post3822231, so the plan has been postponed for some time.

Maybe later next year(march/april), I will start the new car search again with WagonR celebrating its 9th Birthday in April 2016.

Coming to the service, the last one was done at 44k KMs and now with Odo clocking almost 54k Kms, I thought it is a good time to get the car serviced. Though there was no such major problem, but the braking got a bit too weak lately, and the engine was also not that smooth considering the engine oil was replaced more than 1.5 years ago.

Service experience - typical DD Motors, Maruti style servicing - 7/10. Taking heavy rush on weekends into consideration, I reached the SVC early morning 8 am and got the car back at 3 pm. Total amount paid = Rs. 8225. I strictly refused SA to not to include any job without prior asking me.

Front brake pads were replaced for the first time, water pump belt was replaced along with radiator pipe/related parts because of leakage. Along with that wiper blades, rear brake lights and misc required items were changed. Though the SA was suggesting that the pads have still another 5-10k kms life but I insisted on getting them replaced as I was dissatisfied with the braking. A/C belt was ok, not changed.

SA told that heater core/Rear suspension arms need replacement with an estimate of around 15-20k to which I refused.

After getting the service, I got the tyres rotated and while spare tyre inspection, I found the tyre with no air and all wire mesh visible from the rubber area. The puncture guy suggested to get a used tyre for Stephany and told that this tyre must have been damaged because of over inflation. I mostly fill 45psi in the spare tyre and because of the pressure/heat, the rubber burst as it was quite aged as well.

This spare tyre was kept as stepheny from one of those old tyres when I got four new tyres for my Waggie last year. But now even this old tyre is of no use and my car was running without a spare tyre! I will get a new tyre next week and put one of the 4 tyres currently doing duty as spare one.

Also, my car's fuel lid cover was rusted and it fell off the place/joint where it is welded. I got the new cover installed from SVC but it was not in black color, I myself spray coloured the lid using com-paint and it looks as good as professionlly painted.

Here are the details of parts/labour costs with some pictures.

Parts

->Air filter - Rs. 250
->Water pump belt - Rs. 146
->Radiator hose pipe + water inlet cap + misc related items - Rs.300
->Brake pads - Rs.950
->Wiper kit - Rs. 400
->Fuel lid - Rs. 100
->Misc items like windshield wash etc - Rs. 200
->Engine Oil - Rs. 1100

Labour charges

-> Paid service charges - Rs. 1500
-> Brake repalcement labour - Rs. 850
-> engine flushing - Rs. 700
-> Radiator hose/parts replacement - Rs. 350
-> Water pump belt replacement - Rs. 350

-> Taxes - Rs. 800

Total Charges - Rs. 8,225

Some pics

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag8267.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag8276.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag8279.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag8281.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag8282.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag8284.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag8286.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag8288.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag8290.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag8297.jpg

After the service, WagonR drives really well with smooth engine and stronger than before braking.

I am in love with my WagonR but with number of years adding to the ownership(turning 9 year old next April), I want to replace it with a bigger car.

Ciaz was almost finalised but as they say, things happens only at the right time. I like Ciaz but interior wise, I find City much better - even the 3rd gen one. Also today I checked Swift/Dzire, WagonR.

The new contenders

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-z-1.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-z-2.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-z-3.jpg

I prefer the all black interiors of Swift, practicality of WagonR and prowess of Ciaz! - Maruti can you offer everything in one package?

I also got my car's resale value from TrueValue. The guys at Truevalue were not really enthusiastic on assesing my car's value as I told them the selling is not immediate. One of the guy even told me that the price quoted by him will remain valid for a week only and the value will further depreciate after one week! That's the stupidity of these guys. They treat you well only when you are on the table signing the booking amount cheque for a new car, else they don't care. I got the offer of 1.10 lacs for my car + 25k exchange bonus turning out to be 1.35 lacs and when I asked for 1.5 lacs, the guy didnt show much enthusiasm in buying the car at 1.5 lacs asking price.

I further postponed my car purchase decision because of this poor behaviour of maruti true value guys and their bit low quotations. I was expecting a minimum of 1.5-1.6 lacs for my car.

Anyways, I came home, waxed my car and it is now shining like a new one. I drove it around the city and it brought back the same old god feeling

Let's see how long WagonR remains with us. It is one lovely car for sure and often I dont want to sell it ever.

WagonR, with me for the smarter race. 8 years and counting.

Last edited by bluevolt : 11th October 2015 at 21:45.
bluevolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 23:11   #153
Senior - BHPian

There is shrilling sound from the engine for some 2 seconds just after starting the car for the first time in the morning(mostly when the engine is cold) and after 1-2 seconds everything is normal.

I have noticed this since last week after servicing my car.

Should I convey this to SVC?
Old 18th October 2015, 00:30   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is shrilling sound from the engine for some 2 seconds just after starting the car for the first time in the morning(mostly when the engine is cold) and after 1-2 seconds everything is normal.

I have noticed this since last week after servicing my car.

Should I convey this to SVC?
I assume its not the Belt noise. So, you can put the car on ramp and hit the Silencer on the Catcon area with the engine off. If you hear shrilling noise like small little metal pieces shaking inside, its time to replace the Cat Con which has cost me 1700 way back in 2011.
Old 20th October 2015, 13:02   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I assume its not the Belt noise. So, you can put the car on ramp and hit the Silencer on the Catcon area with the engine off. If you hear shrilling noise like small little metal pieces shaking inside, its time to replace the Cat Con which has cost me 1700 way back in 2011.
The sound is somewhat coming from the front/engine bay and lasts 2-3 seconds. Mostly it is on cold starts. The belt was replaced in the service. May be it is making this noise? Will try to record and post here.

Where is cat con located? Isn't it below the car from where it leads to the tail pipe?

Though there is no problem in driving the car.

I have informed my SA on call but he is unable to comment anything unless he checks the car himself.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 15:04   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The sound is somewhat coming from the front/engine bay and lasts 2-3 seconds. Mostly it is on cold starts. The belt was replaced in the service. May be it is making this noise? Will try to record and post here.

Where is cat con located? Isn't it below the car from where it leads to the tail pipe?

Though there is no problem in driving the car.

I have informed my SA on call but he is unable to comment anything unless he checks the car himself.
If the belt was recently replaced, I suspect its the belt noise. The noise should vary as the RMPs vary and vanish after 2-3 seconds as the RPM increases and usually heard mainly during cold starts.

Ask your SA to check the tension of the belt again although it comes with a pretensioner.

Regarding the Catcon, you are right. Its the second part soon after the exhaust manifold ends and the catcon starts. A thicker than usual cylindrical housing sitting in the middle is the catcon.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 00:18   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the belt was recently replaced, I suspect its the belt noise. The noise should vary as the RMPs vary and vanish after 2-3 seconds as the RPM increases and usually heard mainly during cold starts.

Ask your SA to check the tension of the belt again although it comes with a pretensioner.

Regarding the Catcon, you are right. Its the second part soon after the exhaust manifold ends and the catcon starts. A thicker than usual cylindrical housing sitting in the middle is the catcon.

Here is a small video I recorded the sound while starting the engine. I took the video when engine was cold with car parked in my office parking in lunch time. Please open the link and see the video.

Should I take it to SVC only or any other neighbourhood mechanic will be able to eliminate the noise?
Old 21st October 2015, 00:57   #158
BHPian

Quote:

Should I take it to SVC only or any other neighbourhood mechanic will be able to eliminate the noise?
That certainly sounds like a belt screeching. Maybe the tension has contaminated over the years, or maybe it's misaligned because of some meddling from your last service. I'll let the WagonR experts comment on the exact source/belt, but as far as a general diagnosis goes, ask any local mechanic to check on which pulley the belt is slipping, or is out of alignment.
Samar117 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 21:33   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samar117 View Post
That certainly sounds like a belt screeching. Maybe the tension has contaminated over the years, or maybe it's misaligned because of some meddling from your last service. I'll let the WagonR experts comment on the exact source/belt, but as far as a general diagnosis goes, ask any local mechanic to check on which pulley the belt is slipping, or is out of alignment.
I hope by the time I show my car back to SvC, there will be no problem in driving the car? Mechanically?
Old 22nd October 2015, 12:54   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a small video I recorded the sound while starting the engine. I took the video when engine was cold with car parked in my office parking in lunch time. Please open the link and see the video.

https://Youtu.be/Ng4PBso9iKM

Quote:
I hope by the time I show my car back to SvC, there will be no problem in driving the car? Mechanically?
WagonR experts please chip in. Need to take the car on long distance drive on weekends.
Old 22nd October 2015, 20:13   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Its the Belt and nothing else. The squeaky noise on cranking gave all the right hints.

Just visit your ASC and get the tension adjusted. It should be 6-7mm (8-9mm for Water Pump Belt). There is an adjustment bolt (size 14mm) holding the Alternator that needs to be loosened and using a metal pipe the Alternator is moved by few mm (held on other side by pivot) and the Bolt is tightened. Its a 5 minute task. Just tell them your new belt is noisy and they will do this for you.

I replaced my WagonR's belt during last service and it was squeaky and I adjusted the tension myself after a week.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd October 2015 at 20:22. Reason: Removed Video URL
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 23:09   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its the Belt and nothing else. The squeaky noise on cranking gave all the right hints.
Bingo. I got the same squeaky noise on startup soon after changing the water pump belt and the AC fan belt around 4 years back. After complaining to the A.S.S, they brought a long metal rod and moved the belt pulley a bit by using the engine body as a lever. It stopped after that. Do visit your dealer and get if fixed.

Edit: Here's my post about that problem in 2011. Post # 24 is pertinent.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...gonr-lx-2.html

Last edited by vnabhi : 22nd October 2015 at 23:15.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 22:56   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just visit your ASC and get the tension adjusted. It should be 6-7mm (8-9mm for Water Pump Belt). There is an adjustment bolt (size 14mm) holding the Alternator that needs to be loosened and using a metal pipe the Alternator is moved by few mm (held on other side by pivot) and the Bolt is tightened. Its a 5 minute task. Just tell them your new belt is noisy and they will do this for you.

I replaced my WagonR's belt during last service and it was squeaky and I adjusted the tension myself after a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Bingo. I got the same squeaky noise on startup soon after changing the water pump belt and the AC fan belt around 4 years back. After complaining to the A.S.S, they brought a long metal rod and moved the belt pulley a bit by using the engine body as a lever. It stopped after that. Do visit your dealer and get if fixed.

Edit: Here's my post about that problem in 2011. Post # 24 is pertinent.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...gonr-lx-2.html
I got the issue rectified today. It took 5 minutes for the mechanic at SVC to loosen adjustment bolt and readjust the alternator by moving it a bit.

The noise disappeared. And the car starts fine without any noise like before.

Also had a minor accident - first time in wagonr. Luckily nothing was major.

I was driving at the speeds of around 70 on NH1, just after entering Delhi there are couple of set of speed bumps(multiple speed bumps - not the conventional type of speed breakers).
Interestingly I was driving ahead of a Mahindra XUVs and another Mahindra XUV was following me.

Some 500 meters before the breakers, XUV ahead of me slammed brakes and I too applied brakes and changed gear to have engine braking assistance as well. But to my surprise, my car skidded a bit and got rammed into the XUV in front of me and the XUV behind me also rammed into my car.

Luckily by god grace, nothing happened to anyone except for couple of scratches on both XUVs. I should say XUV is a strong vehicle. Even after hitting the car at speed of around 30-40, nothing much happened. The XUV behind me was at bit higher speed because of that there was a dent on the tailgate along with one on my car's bumper.

Took the car to nearest denting/painting guy. Got the dent fixed both on the bumper and tailgate. Total cost Rs. 550.

This is the second time, I had an accident in my cars. The first one was in my i10 when it was hardly six month old. And now today in my WagonR.
In both cases, it could have been averted had there was bit more gap between the cars. Lesson learnt - no matter how confident you are on your driving, be more cautious and keep more distance between the car in front of you. Also I was bit sleep deprived and had lunch at Murthal. I could have managed braking a bit better. All tyres and brakes are totally new.

Anyways, my mood was bit off but later came home, cleaned the car, touched up couple of spots on the tailgate and took the car for an evening spin and then that's what my odo displayed.

Hope to have WagonR with me for more time to come and keep us safe.

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag8399.jpg

Happy and safe driving.

Last edited by bluevolt : 31st October 2015 at 22:58.
Old 1st November 2015, 18:59   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also had a minor accident - first time in wagonr. Luckily nothing was major.

Took the car to nearest denting/painting guy. Got the dent fixed both on the bumper and tailgate. Total cost Rs. 550.
Phew, that was close! Thank your stars you got away with minor damage. And yes, even if you're driving the safest car, do keep a safe distance.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 20:29   #165
Senior - BHPian

Need help!

From past two days, I have started noticing that the power steering isn't responding the way it should. In normal cases, the steering would go light as soon as the vehicle is started.

But since last two times, whenever I drive my car, the steering wheel is totally heavy at parking speed with no power assistance.

Is this sign of power steering conking off?

Any suggestions regarding what could go wrong? Repair estimates?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks