Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2011, 07:10   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@ACE
please be very very careful with A drives in wet as they dont grip at all. Learnt it a very very hard way. Lost my OHC and my life too almost.
Oh my God! Are the A Drives so bad? I never really knew this fact until now. Ace, after putting in so much money into your car, I think its better for you to change the tires ASAP (if its so bad as you and jatinpatel say).

Glad to hear that the Grey Shark is back to her full crowning glory.
Old 30th June 2011, 11:27   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Ripping NH1 has always been FUN, absolute driving pleasure. Once the four laning will be complete, it will be a Nirvana for enthusiasts like us.
Yep, I am waiting for the construction work to finish! Police have started patroling the highway with radar guns though, to have a check on speeding vehicles!

Quote:
I know its a vtec but last I heard, Driving fun and FE never go hand in hand .
lol. Its not that I haven't ripped my car before! Just this time, I am experiencing such low efficiency (~7 km/l)

Quote:
Dont talk about tyres man, every time I read about them, I get further confused..Looks like the S-Drves despite being loud and delicate are till good when it comes to handling both dry and wet conditions.
I know S drives are grippy but they are way too soft for the roads I usually drive my car! I have read your experience with them. Confusion continues while picking the right set of tyres, eh!

Quote:
Touchwood, looks like you're missing your mazda lolzz..
Hehe... The only thing I force myself to miss from that car is the sweet whinning of the Supercharger, whacking gasoline into the 6 cylinders!

Quote:
it will be safe, if you plan to drive on that NH1 regularly.
Thanks boy but I like my car out of that curiously visited section we call "weird and wacky mods"!!!

Quote:
Ya Man, I am too keen to see a red civic in real....droolll..
You can actually see a replica Mugen RR Civic in Delhi! The quality of paintjob on that particular car is horrible though!

Quote:
@ACE
please be very very careful with A drives in wet as they dont grip at all. Learnt it a very very hard way. Lost my OHC and my life too almost.

From that day onwards I dont recommend the A drives to anyone.
Even normal JK or MRF dont aquaplane as the A drive does.

They simply dont give the confidence and grip in wet to push the car even a little bit. A small puddle of water on a flat road results in aquaplaning.

Cheers
Good to see Shark in her awsome normal form.
Jatin, I knew it beforehand that A Drives are not very grippy on wet tarmac! But this is the first time I got to experience how much they aquaplane. They have enough grip at sane speeds but they can make a differnce between life and death if the car is driven enthusiatically! No more spirited driving during rains for me, I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Oh my God! Are the A Drives so bad? I never really knew this fact until now. Ace, after putting in so much money into your car, I think its better for you to change the tires ASAP (if its so bad as you and jatinpatel say).

Glad to hear that the Grey Shark is back to her full crowning glory.
See my comments above, arvi! A Drives are very much VFM tyres in their price bracket! Just that the wet grip is low and they aquaplane too much!
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 12:08   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ACE
please be very very careful with A drives in wet as they dont grip at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
I knew it beforehand that A Drives are not very grippy on wet tarmac!
Quote:
Oh my God! Are the A Drives so bad? I never really knew this fact until now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355
May be I was wrong in picking up the Yoko A drives. They have a significant 'aquaplanning' and they can lead you in a ditch if you are not careful!
They are not that bad in DRY conditions ... but bad in WET. There is no Grip at all in WET conditions.
For the Next tyre change I will definetely go with either CPC2 or Michelin.
See my review here too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I have the same tyres(Yoko AVS v550 db) in my CIVIC, (civic stock tyre size & profile is 195/65 R15)
It's a silica based tyre. I have been using it for almost 3 months now.
They are very good tyres. Very less road noise, braking is good in dry conditions, but found them to be not so effective in wet conditions.
But overall a good tyre.
Regarding the Mileage
Quote:
Just this time, I am experiencing such low efficiency (~7 km/l)
- The mileage has gone down significantly.
That's too low for a civic. I think some problem either with fuelling or with calculation or may be cause of adulteration. 7KMPL is too low for a civic under normal driving condition.
Even I'm experiencing slight mileage drop in my CIVIC .. need to check in very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
@ Sushurutha: Great going with the projector planning! But why not the TL or FX-R projectors?
Wish I had those TL or E55 Hella projectors.

Though they are very good projectors, but if I retrofit them, I would be cutting/drilling the reflectors, which I don't want to do.
So Morimotos makes sense, when they are almost PNP Projectors.
Quote:
Good job on adding DRLs. They do look nice. What brand are yours? Phillips have DRLs which dim when you switch on the lights (ala Audi Style) but they are a bit expensive (~ INR 10,000 I believe).
Some chinese brand ... Don't even know the name Output is not as bright as Philips LED's but, they do serve their purpose.

Philips DRL start from 6500Rs for 4 LED ones and 5 ones for 8000Rs and 8 LED's (they don't look good at all) for 10K MRP.
One can bargain on the MRP by more then 1K+

Recently fitted the Philips 4 LED's on my friend's Fortuner... and bloddy .. they do ROCK like anything ...
Price paid was 5.5K INR.. Definetely worth the money spent.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 01:21   #274
BHPian

@arvi
yes A drives are that bad, thought many a times to narrate the incident of mine on the forum but somehow not finding time for the same.

After that incident took an oath that never ever to touch A drives ever again.

@ACE
comparatively
Bridgestone turanza er300 or B250 are way better in terms of resisting to aquaplaning.
Please do not drive enthusiastically as the A drives never give even slight hint as to when they will loose the grip they just loose it.
forget enthusiastic driving driving at sane speeds in wet also one has to be dam careful with these A drives.

thinks what testing has yokohama has done in wet for these tires?
Old 19th July 2011, 12:03   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm very shortly fittting my concorde with Mini Morimoto H1 projectors with 4300K bulb.
Have already brought the Blazer projectors for the fogs
Ok, Both Morimoto Projectors & Blazer fogs have arrived.
Blazer fogs have already been installed in my CONCORDE.
They look amazing. The output along with the cutoff is quite good too. Still have problem with proper adjustment n aligining of the fogs.
Wish I install HID kids in these fogs, that will be just amazing.
I'm yet to fit the Morimoto Projectors. Will be fitting them this Saturday.
Old 25th July 2011, 19:36   #276
BHPian

Really good build and progress report! I like the clean approach you're taking. Somehow civic owners are a classy lot and always go the subtle yet effective mod route. I'm yet to see a badly done up car. Enjoyed reading your post. Do put up the latest pics when you can.

I wish you would upgrade your alloys though. I feel they're holding the car back a lot!

Also, upgrade the map and roof lamps to LED. Add's to the custom feel you get when you enter the car and just costs a song!
Old 26th July 2011, 11:53   #277
Senior - BHPian

@Tasneem, was that pointed to me or Ace ?
Anyways here is the pic after the retrofit.
Not a clean pic though, but serves the purpose
Morimoto Projectors & Blazer fogs
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-dscn4006.jpg
Old 26th July 2011, 15:49   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Tasneem, was that pointed to me or Ace ?
Anyways here is the pic after the retrofit.
Attachment 583137
The projectors look fabulous sushrutha. I am loving it. It would be nice if you can post a picture with the foglamps switched on too! BTW, why did you finalize on these foglamps instead of the standard horizontal ones that come from genuine Honda accessories? That would have filled the entire slot completing the look.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 15:59   #279
BHPian

@Sushrutha: While the comment was for ACE on his build, you've proven true what I said about Civic Owners Neat retrofit you have there. Do post beam throw pics when you can.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 19:32   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, why did you finalize on these foglamps instead of the standard horizontal ones that come from genuine Honda accessories? That would have filled the entire slot completing the look.
The "standard" fog lamps aren't the trapezoidal (what you refer to as the horizontal) ones anymore. Since the 2009 facelift, standard fogs on the Civic have been the oval-shaped variety that doesn't fill the fog lamp housing cavity entirely. I personally like the older trapezoidal/horizontal variety more than the current oval ones.

That said, what Concorde's got are even smaller (and off-centre).

Regards,
spadix
Old 26th July 2011, 20:31   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
The "standard" fog lamps aren't the trapezoidal (what you refer to as the horizontal) ones anymore. Since the 2009 facelift, standard fogs on the Civic have been the oval-shaped variety that doesn't fill the fog lamp housing cavity entirely. I personally like the older trapezoidal/horizontal variety more than the current oval ones.
Ya spadix. Even I prefer the older trapezoidal fog-lamps instead of the newer oval lamps that comes as standard fixtures. That's why I asked sushrutha why he didn't go for those lamps as they fill the slot neatly.
Old 28th July 2011, 10:47   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The projectors look fabulous sushrutha. I am loving it. It would be nice if you can post a picture with the foglamps switched on too! BTW, why did you finalize on these foglamps instead of the standard horizontal ones that come from genuine Honda accessories? That would have filled the entire slot completing the look.
Thanks Arvi.
I shall post the pic with Fog projectors on later.

Quote:
That's why I asked sushrutha why he didn't go for those lamps as they fill the slot neatly.
I have heard not so good reviews abt the LIGHT THROW of the OEM Honda Fog Lamps. More over the cost is too much for these Fog lamps @ HASS.
These Blazer Fogs output is very good along with the Projector cutoff and Beam pattern(They have the coloured cutoff too)
Morevoer they Look small and nice too. For a further Upgrade one can add HID kits to the fog lamps too
These are VFM fogs (cost 45$)

Quote:
I personally like the older trapezoidal/horizontal variety more than the current oval ones.

That said, what Concorde's got are even smaller (and off-centre).
For some reasons I like the Oval one than the Trapezoidal ones
Yep my fogs are not at the middle of the vent because, as they are round in Shape and cutting the vents to EXACT ROUND, which has fins is not an easy task. As the fog slot has slightly opened vents at the corner, I used this and took advantage in filling the slot.
If I had got the holes done at the middle, it would definetely had an extra gap, which would not look good too. Moreover the Left - Right & Up Down adjustment would have been difficult if I had gone at the middle.

I'm still yet to get a proper alignment of Light throw for these fogs.
Old 28th July 2011, 13:24   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More over the cost is too much for these Fog lamps @ HASS.
These Blazer Fogs output is very good along with the Projector cutoff and Beam pattern(They have the coloured cutoff too)
Morevoer they Look small and nice too. For a further Upgrade one can add HID kits to the fog lamps too
These are VFM fogs (cost 45$)
Tell me about it sushrutha. What is cheap in HASS? Everything is so ridiculously expensive, like a set of foglamps for 21K, a boot spoiler for 24k, etc. You have to hand it over to Honda for such pricing, no one can ever beat them.

With the price that you have quoted for these fogs, you have got me thinking seriously about it.
Old 28th July 2011, 13:32   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I personally like the older trapezoidal/horizontal variety more than the current oval ones.
I completely second that. It would have been good to retain the old design instead of the current oval ones. Also, I have a feeling that they emit better light than the oval ones, not sure though.
Old 28th July 2011, 22:12   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
here is the pic after the retrofit.
Attachment 583137
Good job, sushurutha! I liked the projectors fit, even though they look a bit tiny in the headlight assembly. Please post the light-throw pics and the fog light pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Really good build and progress report! I like the clean approach you're taking. Somehow civic owners are a classy lot and always go the subtle yet effective mod route. I'm yet to see a badly done up car. Enjoyed reading your post. Do put up the latest pics when you can.

I wish you would upgrade your alloys though. I feel they're holding the car back a lot!
Thanks Tassem, I am glad you liked my Shark! For most part, your post about Civic owners is correct, but there are exceptions as always! I remember seeing an off-type ugly Civic once! I am travelling in the East at the moment and will post more pics when I am back to Delhi.

Okay, its the time to confess something. I think I am dreaming about things need to be done during the mid-life revival of my Shark (I am timing it around 2013)

- Milano Red Paint Job (The same one in my Avatar)
- Alloy upgrade

Until then, the Shark will enjoy the attention in its current looks.

Last edited by Ace F355 : 28th July 2011 at 22:14.

Most Viewed