Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2013, 15:52   #496
Senior - BHPian

Here is an update for recent ICE upgrade of my shark. Got mono amplifier installed over the weekend. Here is what has gone into my car, in addition to my previous ICE setup.

- Genesis Profile Sub Ultra (producing 600 watts @ 4 ohms)
- Bull Audio 2 gauge amp power kit
- Gladen zero line RCA for mono amp
- AppRadio cable for Pioneer double din headunits (basically, what this cable does is to mirror my iPhone's screen onto the HU, very helpful in accessing google map navigation while driving.)
- An additional original Pioneer USB cable for the system
- Infra-red universal adaptor for steering audio controls

Technically, my audio upgrade is complete now. Every song is a bliss to listen and I am enjoying it thoroughly. I have set the gains on both amplifiers set to zero and I am playing it by the ears so to speak. Will keep tuning the system as my song listening evolves with time.

will post the pics later.
Old 17th June 2013, 19:37   #497
Senior - BHPian

re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

- Genesis Profile Sub Ultra (producing 600 watts @ 4 ohms)
- Bull Audio 2 gauge amp power kit
- Gladen zero line RCA for mono amp
- AppRadio cable for Pioneer double din headunits (basically, what this cable does is to mirror my iPhone's screen onto the HU, very helpful in accessing google map navigation while driving.)
- An additional original Pioneer USB cable for the system
- Infra-red universal adaptor for steering audio controls
Quoting myself as my previous post was from my cellphone, here are the pics (sorry, they are a bit crude!).

I have placed all the cables in the central glove box in a similar way as it came standard in facelift Civic in 2009. The cables here are an Aux-in, 2 USB and one AppRadio cable. These cables are long enough so that they can be pulled out of glove box in need arises.
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-006.jpg

A pic of AppRadio cable
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-007.jpg

A pic of both amps in the boot. I toyed the idea of various possible configurations for these amps e.g. Stacked over one another or one over the amp board and second on the boot cardboard (as shown in the reference pics below) but decided against them as both options would have reduced the usable boot space by considerable percentage. Hence, this choice of configuration.

My setup
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-009.jpg

Other Possibilities for reference...
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-p1030748.jpg

My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_9515.jpg

A glimpse of IR sensor for steering controls. I have fitted it between front central reading lamps (just over the internal RVM).
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-010.jpg

I have also got red Honda steering logo for the steering. Looks absolutely beautiful.
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-008.jpg

Another work coming up in line... My steering leather is beginning to go bad. Its all worn out on the places most used (check the zoom inset). Need to get it wrapped again to factory specs; only this time, I will get it stitched in red threading instead of black.
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-0080.jpg

Reference pics of the RCAs I have used in my system.

For Speakers, Gladen Eco...
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-ecolinerca400x400.jpg

For Subwoofer, Gladen Zero (courtsy: fellow TBHPian SumitBahl)
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-zerolinerca400x400.jpg
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 21:19   #498
Senior - BHPian

The Logo and rest of the stuff look great Ace.I hope you have invested in a good alarm system or at-least made sure all the cool stuff remains hidden and invisible to protect it from thieving eyes.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 22:49   #499
Senior - BHPian

From past couple of days, I was hearing a grinding noise from left rear wheel. I had my suspicion on brake pads running out of juice and for its check up, I decided to take my car to my mechanic. Turns out I was right, the brake pad had gone bust from one side and the metal clip was grinding with brake disks. Decided to get new TRW brake pads all round.

Total expenses: INR 1250 for front pair, INR 850 for rear pair and INR 700 for labour charges = INR 2800.

Checked the disks as well, they are fine... just need facing on the lathe (will get that done soon).

The Culprit brake pad.
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-022.jpg

A visual comparo of new and old front brake pad (both TRW brand). Old pads ran out of life in 30,000 kms.
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-021.jpg

On a side note, here are a few snaps of Shark with a new member animal in our family!
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-014.jpg
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-020.jpg
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-018.jpg
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-017.jpg
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-016.jpg
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-007.jpg
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-006.jpg
Ace F355 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 23:00   #500
BHPian

@ACE
By looking at the brake pads the wear on them is uneven, which means the piston inside the caliper is not moving uniformly. Please get the caliper serviced by getting the pistons cleaned and checking for wear on pistons and O-ring. If required change the caliper piston and O ring or know as Caliper rebuild kit.

you might end up with pre-mature wear of your new set of brake pads also.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 12:15   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel
@ACE
By looking at the brake pads the wear on them is uneven, which means the piston inside the caliper is not moving uniformly. Please get the caliper serviced by getting the pistons cleaned and checking for wear on pistons and O-ring. If required change the caliper piston and O ring or know as Caliper rebuild kit.

you might end up with pre-mature wear of your new set of brake pads also.
Thanks for the info, Jatin. Will get the calipers checked next time I am taking my car out to my machenic. BTW, this uneven wear was only noticed in left side rear wheel, pads on the rest three wheels wore out evenly.
Old 26th June 2013, 00:01   #502
BHPian

Uneven brake pad wear in the rear of civic is very very common issue.
Get it attended to and see the difference in braking.
Old 3rd November 2013, 12:54   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Few years old picture of Grey Shark, reworked this morning-

My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-civicr.jpg
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 17:56   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Few years old picture of Grey Shark, reworked this morning-

Attachment 1161689
Thank you for posting the pic, Anshuman. Sigh, I am missing the Konigs now.

Guess the update on this thread is also due. Currently odo is at 95xxx kms and I am going to send the car for servicing next week. Will post a comprehensive update afterwards.
Old 21st May 2014, 13:36   #505
Senior - BHPian

105k Brief Review

Reviving the old thread with fresh updates. Basically, life remains boring regarding more updates from my shark itself, except it just keeps gulping fuel & keeps crunching miles after miles. Plus I am getting busier with more workload on professional end.

Current odo stands at 105xxx kms without any issues. I am back on stock alloys because one of my Konig alloys was damaged last August courtesy a truck which hit my car from rear right (special thanks to fellow bhpian & friend Gaurav_Chopra who offered immediate help and assisted me throughout the repair process that time). Current set of tires are Yokohama DB series V550, awesome rubber with minimal noise.

Regular services have been a part of shark's life, last being done at 100k, costed me a total of INR 6500 with Synthetic Shell Helix Ultra engine oil & a pair of new brake pads.

Current issues: I feel the suspension has gotten a bit soft due to age & wear/tear. Need to look into that. Plus I feel like I am done with another engine mounting. because light vibrations are filtering into cabin now. Need to look into that at next service. Other than these, no issues with the car, touchwood!

A couple of shots are attached below which I took last Sunday while driving to Delhi from my hometown. I keep playing with the idea of laterally upgrading the car, given that new shape Accords (especially the 270 bhp V6 ones) or 140 bhp DSG/Diesel Laura are in budget of 6-7 lakhs now. But just the thoughts of departing with this car give me shivers. I feel like I should retain the car for long and so I am.

That's all for now and will post more details next time. Ciao for now.

EDIT: I think its high time I need to get Shark's spark plugs. Honda recommends it doing at 100k. Any suggestions on which ones to go for or I should just get the OEMs from HASS. Please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-photo-1.jpg  

My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by Ace F355 : 21st May 2014 at 14:01.
Ace F355 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:43   #506
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 105k Brief Review

Congrats on crossing the 6-figure milestone!

For those who don't want to read the entire thread, can you please summarise the repairs & part replacements (other than wear & tear bits)?

I'm a long, long way off the 100K mark simply because my running has totally tanked. The 7 year old Civic down my house hasn't even crossed 40,000 kms yet.

Quote:
I feel the suspension has gotten a bit soft due to age & wear/tear.
May I suggest looking at Koni dampers? From what I hear, they transform the Civic's dynamics.

Quote:
I think its high time I need to get Shark's spark plugs. Honda recommends it doing at 100k.
OEMs are best.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:33   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats on crossing the 6-figure milestone!
Thanks Rush.

Quote:
For those who don't want to read the entire thread, can you please summarise the repairs & part replacements (other than wear & tear bits)?
If we leave out regular consumables, then nothing really! Just counting major replacements, I have to admit this is 3rd Engine Mount I am done with. Front suspension was overhauled with OEM parts at 90K, costed me around 8000 INR IIRC. Clutch was replaced at around 95K with OEM DK make (costed me around 7000 INR for clutch, bearing and labor). I am using TRW brake pads since 50K and love the brake bite and overall response. Running on 2nd set of pads.

In terms of Mods, K&N Typhoon is working like a charm from day 1. ICE hasn't gave me any headaches in terms of maintenance, Touchwood and I am considering to put back 17" wheels for the car again. Rest car is all bone stock. Interiors are holding pretty good in my car, considering I see a lot of 2010-11 model cars with really bad interiors.

Quote:
I'm a long, long way off the 100K mark simply because my running has totally tanked. The 7 year old Civic down my house hasn't even crossed 40,000 kms yet.
I believe you bought the car with long term trouble free ownership in mind. You can keep using the car another 10 years and it will still be awesome to drive (we will be in a wide spread turbo era by then and these free revving Honda NA engines will become a rarity).

Quote:
May I suggest looking at Koni dampers? From what I hear, they transform the Civic's dynamics.
I do have Koni's yellows in my mind, or better still Tein Super Street. I will evaluate my options and will get the replacement accordingly.

Quote:
OEMs are best.
Thanks for the suggestion again. Since I am fed up with Engine Mount replacement as well. I am planning to send my car to HASS for both, Spark Plugs as well as Hydraulic mount. Out of the 3 mounts I have gone through, OEM one had a life of 50K, 2nd had a life of 26K and 3rd is done in about 30K. Hence the inclination towards the OEM.
Ace F355 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 21:17   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rush.

Front suspension was overhauled with OEM parts at 90K, costed me around 8000 INR IIRC. Clutch was replaced at around 95K with OEM DK make (costed me around 7000 INR for clutch, bearing and labor).
I am glad you mentioned this. I was once quoted 50K for a suspension overahul for the entire car which i found to be ridiculous.My trusted garage man refuted the need for a overhaul and am still running stock suspension at 46.7k Kms.

Thanks
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 11:16   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I am glad you mentioned this. I was once quoted 50K for a suspension overahul for the entire car which i found to be ridiculous.My trusted garage man refuted the need for a overhaul and am still running stock suspension at 46.7k Kms.

Thanks
Sir, was this quote of 50K from Honda and included the springs + dampers also? Asking because I didn't replace original Springs/Dampers in my shark and am running on originals still. The suspension overhaul I mentioned included new control arms, tie-end rods and CV boots only.

50,000 kms is too young for entire suspension overhaul with any careful driver IMO.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 11:24   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, was this quote of 50K from Honda and included the springs + dampers also? Asking because I didn't replace original Springs/Dampers in my shark and am running on originals still. The suspension overhaul I mentioned included new control arms, tie-end rods and CV boots only.

50,000 kms is too young for entire suspension overhaul with any careful driver IMO.
Nopes this was not from Honda but from a independant garage.It included all suspension components which i do not know why eveything was needed to be overhauled at just a car which had run around 46K. Anways i took a second opinion from my trusted guy and he firmly said nothing is needed to be changed and that i can carry on with my exsiting set up.

Most Viewed