Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 11:51   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Thanks for the kind words arvi86. Go through your local newspaper classifieds, used car websites, pre-owned car dealers and you should be able to locate the car you always wanted to own!

My advice - Stick to Team BHP's guide for buying used cars. Good luck in finding a Civic of your dreams!

My Shark needs a lot of personalization to be done on my part. I will keep this thread alive with more and more info and pictures! Keep lurking!
Me deciding is just one part of the story. I have just started convincing my family over this, let' see how long does it take. And yes, if I finally decide to go for it, all T-Bhp checklists are going to be followed.

Your shark is already turning out to be one of the best Civic mod jobs and you plan to carry it on further. Good luck mate, keep rocking!
Old 17th March 2011, 20:11   #77
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, I am in S'toon right now. I am done with my degree (and Canada, pretty much ) and am moving back to India on April 1st. I was in India since January this year and came back to Canada on March 2nd.
Since you are in a geography where you can pretty much get anything, aren't you planning some Mugen or Hondata mods?
Old 17th March 2011, 22:59   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Since you are in a geography where you can pretty much get anything, aren't you planning some Mugen or Hondata mods?
As I have told earlier, my car is used by my parents in my absence. Therefore, practicality of the car remains an important aspect. I had planned on performance mods but doing so will only turn into a one man race car! So, I need to maintain a balance between practicality and fun factor.

My plan so far includes -

1. Better rubber (215 60/15 preferably)

2. K&N Typhoon 69 series (if it will help me getting around the factor of low end torque)

3. Few cosmetic touches (here and there)

What may not be done -

1. 17" Alloys - I have so many alloy designs in mind but all come in 17" size only. If I find something interesting in 16", that will be great otherwise I will not appreciate my parents complaining sitting in a Civic as if they are riding in a bullock-cart!

2. Stiffer suspension - don't really know how to approach this matter!

3. Body kit - for obvious reasons.

I believe Hondata remaps and other things (modified exhaust, De-cat and so on) go hand in hand complementing each other. So, I may not plan on any of those for now!

Last edited by Ace F355 : 17th March 2011 at 23:02.
Old 17th March 2011, 23:19   #79
dot
Senior - BHPian

Fair enough, parents must be taken care of.

Quote:

2. K&N Typhoon 69 series (if it will help me getting around the factor of low end torque)
I hope you dont feel that I am pushing it. Somewhere I read that K&N is popular in the subcontinent only. Mugen also has their own air filter products. Any thoughts on which one is better?
Old 17th March 2011, 23:25   #80
Senior - BHPian

Wow dude the logos look brilliant.

How about adding a lip spoiler?
Old 18th March 2011, 00:04   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope you dont feel that I am pushing it. Somewhere I read that K&N is popular in the subcontinent only. Mugen also has their own air filter products. Any thoughts on which one is better?
Hey no worries. Afterall, we are here for discussions, right?

I am not too sure about Mugen SRI/CAI kit for R18 engines. There is one for FD2 Type R engines for sure! Will try to find out more about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Wow dude the logos look brilliant.

How about adding a lip spoiler?
Thanks mate.

You mean lip spoiler as in front skirt!

I will figure out my options once I am back to India on April 2nd. I somehow do not fancy body kit on my Civic. Civics with body kits look kinda bulky. But then, its just me. Guess, a simple front skirt is worth giving a shot!
Old 18th March 2011, 15:44   #82
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey no worries. Afterall, we are here for discussions, right?

Good, in that case, since you are in a technical field, you might enjoy this (in case you have not seen this already).
http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/R18A/index.html

There in an interesting paragraph on air intake and filter. Was intrigued by the resonance effect in the intake tract. They say that it is important for proper amount of air coming in to the cylinders. If we change the air filter characteristics, the resonance characteristics will change quite a bit. Wonder then if performance will change for the positive or negative.

In fact if you read GTO's thread, it is mentioned that his new air filter has resulted in a significant difference in sound after 3k rpm, just as this article seems to suggest
Old 18th March 2011, 22:32   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just received the first parcel from ProCivic. The front and back Type R emblems from Honda. Look at the seer quality.

I paid CAD 114 at ProCivic and had to pay CAD 35 as custom duty on them!!! But god almighty, these are genuine Honda parts and surely the best emblems you can get for your Civic. Now am waiting for other stuff to arrive...

PS: Please note the Bose iPod dock I won in a contest last Sunday in Vancouver!
congrats on your car! If the emblems are genuine Type R parts (which seems to be from the packaging), then I am very tempted too.. mine were cheap chinese replicas, I believe. but of course, I got them for less than 50 CAD (both front n back)..
Old 18th March 2011, 23:27   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Me deciding is just one part of the story. I have just started convincing my family over this, let' see how long does it take. And yes, if I finally decide to go for it, all T-Bhp checklists are going to be followed.

Your shark is already turning out to be one of the best Civic mod jobs and you plan to carry it on further. Good luck mate, keep rocking!
I wish you good luck. Hope to see your Civic ownership thread soon!

Quote:
Good, in that case, since you are in a technical field, you might enjoy this (in case you have not seen this already).
http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/R18A/index.html

Thanks for the link. Yes, I have seen it before. In fact, I remember reading 8th gen Civic review on this website.

Quote:
If we change the air filter characteristics, the resonance characteristics will change quite a bit. Wonder then if performance will change for the positive or negative.
Simpler way to put, if engine will breathe easily, it will perform smoothly. One more important factor affecting the performance is the positioning of the air filter. IIRC, GTO wasn't too happy with his K&N's positioning and wanted to fix that later. Don't know if he has done it already!

Quote:
In fact if you read GTO's thread, it is mentioned that his new air filter has resulted in a significant difference in sound after 3k rpm, just as this article seems to suggest
K&N Typhoon seems to be a win-win upgrade for me. Since it starts barking only above 3500 rpm, my father will never have to bother about it because he always keeps the rpms below 3000. It is only me who tries to blast the valves off the engine often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
congrats on your car! If the emblems are genuine Type R parts (which seems to be from the packaging), then I am very tempted too.. mine were cheap chinese replicas, I believe. but of course, I got them for less than 50 CAD (both front n back)..
Thank you iTNerd. Good to see you back. and boy, is your car good looking!!! Time to update your thread too with some latest pics, don't you think.

I believe these are genuine Type R emblems. I will be back in Delhi in April, you can see how do they look by yourself. I will PM you since I need your help finding some accessories for my Civic. Hope you wouldn't mind.
Old 18th March 2011, 23:53   #85
Senior - BHPian

Nope Ace I meant the Small Lip Type Spoiler on the trunk.They are stuck onto the truck instead of the regular drilling.
Old 19th March 2011, 00:01   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Nope Ace I meant the Small Lip Type Spoiler on the trunk.They are stuck onto the truck instead of the regular drilling.
Oh you mean this one? It does looks good, thats for sure; but it is too minuscule for my taste.

Moreover, I have already got the rear spoiler drilled into the trunk. So, it is there for ever.
Attached Thumbnails
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-1-2.jpg  

Old 19th March 2011, 00:11   #87
Senior - BHPian

Oh, I forgot to add one more thing. As I said earlier, I am interested in getting alloys but unfortunately going by the road conditions in my local area, I can't get them. So it came into my mind if I should get my stock alloys powder coated and paint the break calipers red. How about that?

I searched Team BHP and found some info. I phoned Pandit & Co. in Delhi today and they told me that powder coating is not possible and wheels can only be painted.

Cost of paint ~ INR 1750 per wheel. I was appalled to know the costs.

Can someone redirect me where to get powder coating done on my wheels in NCR or Chandigarh area? I want matte black finish to my alloys through powder coating, not through the paint process.

Last edited by Ace F355 : 19th March 2011 at 00:15.
Old 19th March 2011, 01:34   #88
BHPian

@ace

To get over the issue of low end torque you will have to get a combination of filter and free flow exhaust

The size of tire you have mentioned might be bit too much for the stock alloys
Better option would be 205/60 r15 or 205/65R15

If comfort and decent grip is priority go for Michellin PLC
And if grip is top priority then Yokohama Sdrive but in those you will get size of 205/55R15 for civic no other size is available IMO 55 section would be too thin and would reduce GC of your car
Old 19th March 2011, 01:47   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@ace

To get over the issue of low end torque you will have to get a combination of filter and free flow exhaust

The size of tire you have mentioned might be bit too much for the stock alloys
Better option would be 205/60 r15 or 205/65R15

If comfort and decent grip is priority go for Michellin PLC
And if grip is top priority then Yokohama Sdrive but in those you will get size of 205/55R15 for civic no other size is available IMO 55 section would be too thin and would reduce GC of your car
I need to find someone in Delhi to do a proper FFE install since I am very much concerned about the sound. It may be music for our petrolhead ears, but elderly people will certainly not appreciate it. I might contact Autopsyche for FFE once I am home!

I don't mind 205 cross section at all. In fact most people have suggested 205/65 R15 to me. My options so far include Michelin Primacy LC or Yokohama A/C-Drives or even Apollo Acelere (have heard good things about them).

Last edited by Ace F355 : 19th March 2011 at 02:17.
Old 19th March 2011, 09:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you iTNerd. Good to see you back. and boy, is your car good looking!!! Time to update your thread too with some latest pics, don't you think.

I believe these are genuine Type R emblems. I will be back in Delhi in April, you can see how do they look by yourself. I will PM you since I need your help finding some accessories for my Civic. Hope you wouldn't mind.
My car is in cold storage these days. But I do hope to update my thread soon, when some pending mods/upgrades are done. And about PM, sure, no worries!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks