Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 13:08   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiesta 1.6 Sxi 2006 : New/Used car ownership at 1,15,000 km EDIT: Now sold!

Finally decided to pen this down here rather than hijack somebody's thread.

OK!
So, completed 10000 KMs today in my 2006 fiesta, bought used, clocked in 56k today morning.
Total time: 9 odd months.

Here goes the end to end of ford (more later) ownership, pitfalls to avoid in buying used, slight under the hood mods, slight ICE upgrades, and some costs.

So, june last year, i was looking out to upgrade from a santro zipdrive which I had been driving since 2001.
Did 1.3 Lac on it, then started working in gurgaon, and decided i needed more punch for the expressway.
Met up with dealers/individuals selling balenos,OHCs, but somehow the OHC, though pathbreaking for their time, just did not do it for me.
Blame it on the vintage of the cars i drove, but none of them clicked at all!!

So one one rainy evening, i was having pakoras at nauroji nagar, with the thought of a new car sent right back in the mental filing cabinet.
Just for kicks, crossed over to a dealer guy right there, on the other side of the road.
I asked him, I am looking for a belono or OHC in the 2.5L range(at a stretch, ie).
"No sir"
about to walk out, when he says,
"Sir, 2.6 tak kheench do to fiesta hai, top model."
(i have a fiesta for 2.6L)

Now, never been a fan of ford india.
One of my friends suffered with a flair in college days, where he owned it for 3weeks, when it called for some suspension problems, left him poorer by 30k, and was sold off in the 4th week.

But, unfortunately, my wife was with me, and she's a HUGE fan of mr. abhishek bacchan.
"oh, fiesta, fiesta...lets see na, please!!!"

Well, ok.
out we go, and walk to this platinum machine(nomenclature which still confuses me,sometimes ford mechs too).

1st impression : hey, that looks, well.....classy....
delaer took out the key-fob, and gave it to me.
well, a small thing, but the integrated key-remote fob, classier!
something i had been trying to source for my santro.

presses the button, the machine blinked..."ok, no 'twup-twup' sound."

Sat in the seat, the sheer room was awesome, the whole SXi interiors bit, amazing.
started the car, slotted in 1st, drove out and i was floored..........
WOW!!
coasted around, in 3rd gear, then hit shanti path(for those who know, oh yeah!)
the dealer says, sir, take it to 3-3.5k in 3rd.
did, and the dealer could smell a sale permeating the air in the cocooned cabin of MY car now!!
I am smiling, my wife is smilin(AB's car, oh yeah)..dealer's smiling(commission confirmed!!)
And the car did not know what was in store.

8 pm at night, deal closed in cash at 2.6L all inclusive.
that got me a 2006 fiesta sxi petrol done 46k KMs, and ownership transfer(no effort on my part).
Asked the dealer to clean/shampoo/diddly-do's (the car, of course), and i collected it the next day.

So now, in semi chronological order:
Got the oil and filters changed for 1100 rs at a local garage, and sent it for service a week later to ford, which cost me 2000 rs.

Next thing was a couple of a spectre conical's i had bought from atlanta, and wanted to plonk in the santro, but just off hand, decided, hey, why not?
took it the guy who did my FFE in the santro, as a first step.
the rest, till the current fit, is altogether another thread.
All i can say is thank you to a certain member here, who kindly enough sold me his filter kit.

Total cost, before i got down to a DIY was 5K for the filter,and cumulative 7-8k for labor and misc parts.
Then, post DIY, the cost of parts etc apart from filter came to about 5k.
Oh man, should have got it done professionally the first time around..lesson learnt, lesson passed on!!

ICE: was not happy with the original FoMoCo head, so amazon rescued me.
picked up an AVH 3200DVD,US(misery coming up) for about 20k.
And now the pain begins, of my first run-in with ford policies...
Most installers do not have necessary parts to remove a fiesta's factory unit without scratching the facia.
You HAVE to go to a ford service centre.They will remove it.
drove down to ford, got it removed, bought a 2-din adapter(luckily, my installer called me en-route and told me to get that as well), back to installer, who put in the unit...very happy!!
the pain?well i listen to ONE radio station here, 95fm, and being a US unit, it WONT tune even freqs!
currently making do with my phone and an fm transmitter...something called a band expander en-route from oz.
cost : excluding stereo about 1000 bucks, for labor and ford's adapter.

back to the car.
It was still running on the tyres it came with.bridgstone somethings, 175/65/14.
and boy were they running bald.One day, one of them deflated, so opened the boot to take out the spare, which was.....A BRAND NEW NCT5!!!!!
apparently, a common practice before selling a car who's shoes youve just changed, plonk in the older set and sell it.
Well this guy forgot to change the spare!!
anyway, that took some pre-buying stress out for me.I knew what tyres i would be buying.

bear with me here, i am getting all the inane stuff which doesnt matter(money/sweat etc) out of the way, before i get to the awesomeness of the drive!

next up,
1.Fan motor stopped : 800 bucks to fix it
2. Gradual coolant loss: about 2000 rs worth of collant at last count, 2000 bucks for a replacement refurbished radiator.
3. Master cylinder ka-boom: 1300 bucks for a tow to harpreet ford, 1000 overall cost for a fix.
4. coolant loss still on: one hose replaced out of ford for 600 bucks.
5. Coolant loss still on : now it was the dreaded heater core.coolant pooling in the passenger well.went to ford.All checks added some repairs in the front right wheel bearing.Total cost of visit, 14k!!
6.One 50k Service: 5k(inclusive of replacing the power window controls).
7.One oil/filters/sparks change on my own,just like that, for 2k.
8Last month she received new tyres, NCT5, and the change is drastic, to say the least.
I had neglected the tyres, untill one day, i had a proper dekko, and saw that theyre are practically down to the wire!!
14k for 4 tyres, next month going to get the alloys refurbished for another 2k(got them checked, theyre still 100% ok, only cosmetic damage)

Apparently, all the knocking around by non-ford guys, myself included, had messed up the coolant lines, so partially, thats my fault as well.

Repair pointers to live by:
Body/cosmetic:Outside ford.
Engine bay/electricals/service : ford ASC(cheaper,quicker)

And plus, i had set aside 30k for miscellaneous repair expenses to the original cost of the car.
although prior checks could have saved me all this trouble, and i would have asked the owner to fixx all this up before buying, I bought with my heart...100%.
so, i have not regretted all this extra on the car one bit.
Why?
here goes.

The Drive:
It is such a glorious interior coming from my santro and zen.
And you hear....nothing!
NVH retardation is amazing.
The tiltable column is perfect, plus there is such a planted feeling in the recessed seat!
I drive 35kms one way, on the xpressway, and the wonderful glory of the roads in lutyen's, 'cept for a 2km stretch in gurgaon and south delhi.
and in those 330 odd kms, I AM FLOORED.
EVERY DAY, EVERY TIME!
40kmph in 3rd, tootling along, see an expanse of road, or some cabbie flying in behind you, honking/flashing.
floor it, and the induction roar fills the air around the car, and people are looking about,"what is that?there wasnt any roar 1 second ago?"

and before you know it you're at 80-90,slot into 4th, then 5th....and by now i have forgotten about the tailgater, a distant memory, a speck.
I am just having so much fun!!
The best part about the induction is, you keep the revs stable anywhere,2k or 4k, no sound, as it should be cos it is after all(occasionally) a family car.My mom especially does not like it at all!
but the second you feed in the juice, and the revs are trying to climb, you get this enormous aphrodisiacal roar,it just blows your mind.
(Just one point, its not like the sound you get out of an FFE.its much more subtle, much more indicative of the power.I know it does diddly squat for the BHP, but the MHP/feel-good is to be had,once at least)

I was worried intially that the car would be a handful in parkings/jams/tight spots but not at all!!
yeah, sure, its not as squeezable as a hatch, but still.

The feedback through the steering is good, not entirely great, cos sometimes it sends too much feedback.
Any others think so?
the driving mantra in this car is "point-and-shoot".
It just goes!!!

Before i got the new tyres, there was some loss of confidence on the other side of 100kmph.
new rubber, i can easily cruise at 120 for most of the drive to office.
turn-in is much more sure footed, and road noise has decreased by ,i dont know, its just there if you listen for it.
The ride is much much much more comfortable over potholes and minor irregularities on the road.
I used to be jolted sometimes by even the expansion-slots on the expressway, but not its just a minor "pfft", done.

Only gripe is the underbody WILL scrape over some humps etc.
If you think a hump is too high, or a pothole too deep, be sure that a "SCRRRRUUNNCCCHHHH" is definitely gonna greet you.

Overall:
With all the visits to ford/local guys/DIY, i am currently at this stage with the car, that "Yes, now thats how i like it!!"

Did I get it cheap?
well, yes, comparatively.

Could I have saved some more?Yes.
Has it been a bother,with the repairs et al?
occasionally.

Has it all been worth it?
HELL, YEAH!!!!!!!

I am waiting for the next gen fiesta.If i could,I would put a sticker in the back of this one, "my next car is a fiesta"...but it would make this one jealous.....
Yes, I HAVE developed an emotional connect with this car, which is stronger than with all other cars and bikes i have owned, and I love it!!
Its no longer a pre-owned vehicle.

Its my baby now which has done 10000kms!!

Cheerios, and Keep Living!!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiesta 1.6 Sxi 2006 : New/Used car ownership at 1,15,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-edited-fiesta-parking-lot.jpg  

Fiesta 1.6 Sxi 2006 : New/Used car ownership at 1,15,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_0302.jpg  

mayankk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2011, 13:29   #2
BANNED

re: Fiesta 1.6 Sxi 2006 : New / Used car ownership at 52000 / 98000 kms

Congrats on the car man! The car looks really good and in pristine condition.
The review is written very well!
The interior of the fiesta is way better than the ohc. IMHO, you made a very good decision choosing the fiesta over the OHC.

How about some more pictures?
Old 9th March 2011, 13:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mayank,

Congratulations on completing 10K of ownership. I wish you more happy mile crunching and please do sometimes unleash (100 horses to be exact) the beast. You will be far more surprised by the performance. I can understand the emotional connect as I had expressed mine in my thread over the scratch on my Fiesta.

Does the 2006 Fiesta have the ABS and Airbags in the top end variant? I am particularly thankful for the info regarding the HU which you sent me by PM.

I think the stage is now perfectly set to get yourselves the new Fiesta which is to be launched shortly. All the best and take care. We need more pics.
Old 9th March 2011, 14:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@Dmehta: Thanks, man.Yeah, the condition was one of the main reasons i was drawn to wards this particular machine.it IS prisitine, and gets VIP treatment.People are especially bothered by the "no eating in the car" rule.

@ghodlur: Hey, Thanks.
What do you mean unleash the full 100 horses?
Yeah, i read about the scratch.I'll let you know how the com-paint thing goes.I've seen it doen on a white TDCi, and it was spot on.lets see how it works for other colors.
And no, the 06 fiesta didnt have abs/airbags.Say, did yo uget the hu finally?

More pics, ill put up soon, soon as i get a decent picture in a decent location(on a decent vacation....i wish)....
meantime, tehre's some of the filter install, and the car in my garage, thats all.

Thanks, guys.
Old 9th March 2011, 15:11   #5
BHPian

now THAT is one good looking vehicle. I think you made a very good buy.

the 1.6 petrols (Duractec Sigma) are an amazing line of engines. Efficient and powerful. Kudos to their interiors as well. The cost of ownership has actually shown a lot of improvement in recent times.

Just a bit curious, How do you find the ease of the gearbox? you notice any anomalies?
Old 9th March 2011, 15:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
now THAT is one good looking vehicle. I think you made a very good buy.

Just a bit curious, How do you find the ease of the gearbox? you notice any anomalies?
Thanku.
Yeah, well, the gearbox gave me a fright once last year for about 20-30 minutes.
The shifts became abnormally hard, but it went away by itself, and hasnt resurfaced.
This was some days before my master cylinder blew( i dont know if thats related.but thats what i blame it on..)
If it comes back , then i'll ask ford guys to take a look at it.
Otherwise, it has been glitch free, a breeze.
It slots nice and solid, with a minimal throw.
Old 9th March 2011, 15:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice update, that Duratec is addictive as I keep saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
And no, the 06 fiesta didnt have abs/airbags.
There was a version that came with ABS but no Airbags - mine is an ABS version, cost about 25k extra IIRC
Old 9th March 2011, 15:28   #8
BHPian

Congrats on buying a used Fiesta. I shall surely say that you got it cheap and that shows how much a Ford depreciates.

But by going to the service station you've come to know that Ford is alctually cheaper than its image suggests. The ikon days are surely gone.

I thought the Sxi had ABS in the initial batches that were released; or was it optional?

Enjoy your ownership. Looking forward to more pics and ownership logs

Sorry- Didn't see Suman's update above about ABS.. and my memory is also right
Old 9th March 2011, 15:52   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

yeah, apparently it was MUCH cheaper than what a few people in cities like bangalore were quoted.
The dealer fear actually stemmed from reports of the ikon, yes.
Add to that the brouhaha over prior bookings, distance etc.
but yes, it is cheaper and easier at the dealer.

As for the ABS, well, ahhhhh, wot to say?
Old 9th March 2011, 16:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey Mayank! congratulations man for a wonderful buy.
At 2.6 lakhs it's a damn cheap buy for such a wonderful car. You sure have got a wonderful deal.
The interior feels solid and gives a look of a strong built car both from inside and outside. Total nirvana for you on the expressway , is it :P
Old 9th March 2011, 17:53   #11
BHPian

yea, for 2.6 , its a steal and Sigma's mostly last for awhile.
Old 10th March 2011, 03:20   #12
BHPian

A very well written review Mayank. Lots of tips for owners and potential owners on the do's and dont's. Delhi Mumbai and the rest of north are very lucky in used car buys. South (AP, TN, KA) never see used cars so well priced. This same car would be 3.5 down south. The 1.6 is one beauty of an engine. For our benefit, the usual question - Mileage kitna deti hai?

Last edited by vignesh_ny : 10th March 2011 at 03:22. Reason: Added a few details.
Old 10th March 2011, 07:06   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

@vignesh.
Thanks man.
well, she's only gone tankfull to tankfull, and overall mileage has been 11.3-4.
highest ever was 12.5, lowest was 9.
Old 10th March 2011, 12:16   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Its the best i could find.
Havent really got around to having a proper session with the exteriors of the car.
And these are my experiments with , basically just putting the filter in the car, let alone optimally..
like i said, that bay is really really cramped!!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiesta 1.6 Sxi 2006 : New/Used car ownership at 1,15,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_0338.jpg  

Fiesta 1.6 Sxi 2006 : New/Used car ownership at 1,15,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_0336.jpg  

Fiesta 1.6 Sxi 2006 : New/Used car ownership at 1,15,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-dsc_0240.jpg  

Fiesta 1.6 Sxi 2006 : New/Used car ownership at 1,15,000 km EDIT: Now sold!-untitled.jpg  

Old 10th March 2011, 13:48   #15
BHPian

Hey Mayank ,

That is a very nice car you have there and an equaly good write up.

I have a Fiesta 1.6 Zxi petrol in red here in Kolkata, purchased new in dec 2009. I am very satisfied with the car though there a few things which I would like to know why they are such, for example why the indicator and wiper stocks are the opposite of what is normal for other cars here. Whenever somebody else drives my car they inadvertently switch on the wiper when they want to switch on the indicator. I constantly keep on reminding them about the opposite switch layout, as I am very concerned that the windshield will get scratched.
Another thing is why they left the bonnet opener on the left side, it is a pain to lean over and open it at malls for instance.

The power of the engine is too much for me to handle and the traffic in Kolkata seldom allows me to exploit it to the full potential though I some times love to really blast off from a traffic signal if the road ahead is clear.

One problem I face with the gears is that I can not shift down from fifth to third, I have to slot into fourth and go to third, does anybody else face this ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks