Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 22:19   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Nano and life beyond. Update: 60k km and 12 years!

@shajufx

1) I will be happy if we get a Left side mirror soon, but i can live without it, no issues here.

2) Bad roads are well managed by the tires - Tubeless tyres work well along with suspension which is better than M800.

3) AC is powerful so I switched it OFF at long traffic signals, next time, I will try switching off the engine itself at timer controlled signals which I have never tried in any of my previous cars. - Dont turn off if its too cool, just set the rotary switch to one level below the Full level and now the AC is more bearable.

4) Blower is noisy at level 2, its noisy and squeaky at times.

5) Sun film is a requirement as direct sun burns the skin - YES surely the screen is huge and hence the issue, will need a good quality film with good heat reduction.

So music is not a priority right now - Even for me its the same.

Checking the sun film options at accessory shops nearby. I will be happy if I can get all windows and rear done within 1k.

You wont get all windows in 1k unless its local made, for front screen only ,Ecodrive fitted @ dealer cost me 1500rs.

A question: What is the tire pressure you guys maintain or recommended by the company ?

I maintain Company recomended 26psi front and 28psi rear.
Old 7th June 2011, 18:41   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
....but i can live without it, no issues here.......Dont turn off if its too cool...... will need a good quality film with good heat reduction....... recommended 26psi front and 28psi rear.
I got a panoramic center mirror (Type-R) today for Rs.240 and it gives a real wide view of the back. So, I think it will serve my purpose. Will drive more and update on that. Company side mirror pair will be available soon, but the sad news is, you need to buy the pair and get both installed, which will make your present right mirror a toy for the kids .

Switching off the engine at timer controlled signals is for saving petrol, nothing to do with the AC.

I checked with an accessory shop and they promised to get all windows done for Rs.700, it will be a local film for sure. Should I check branded ones ? Is it really required ?

So far not yet filled the tires, will check 26/28 combination in the next fuel stop.

Note: Please quote a small portion of the post when you reply, otherwise its tough to keep track of the responses as there are 1000s of threads here. I mean click the quote button than copying from the post
Old 7th June 2011, 20:07   #78
Senior - BHPian

@shajufx

I have clicked the quote button this time for sure, dont know if i have been missing out on that

IMO get a better quality sun film since local one will fade and have cracks and might come off easily.

Atleast put a good one on the front screen.
The ideal time to put the left side ORVM would be when you crash your existing one!

Have you thought of putting a SUMP guard since that looks to be the lowest part in car even though its between two wheels.

I will post a pic of rectangular bag which i have kept in the gap ahead of gear lever and below the centre console of the dashboard.
Old 7th June 2011, 22:13   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I have clicked the quote button this time for sure.........
IMO get a better quality sun film since local one will fade and have cracks and might come off easily.
......rectangular bag which i have kept in the gap ahead of gear lever and below the centre console of the dashboard.
You have not clicked for sure , if you did, it will appear like how it shows on my posts. It will send a PM when someone quotes and replies, a new feature which you should use and its really helpful to keep tab on our discussions.

I will check better quality sun-film, got your point. Not planning to do anything unless I find it really a requirement. Curious to see the bag in the gap, may be thats something of a practical usage.
Old 8th June 2011, 00:28   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
You have not clicked for sure , if you did, it will appear like how it shows on my posts. It will send a PM when someone quotes and replies, a new feature which you should use and its really helpful to keep tab on our discussions.

I will check better quality sun-film, got your point. Not planning to do anything unless I find it really a requirement. Curious to see the bag in the gap, may be thats something of a practical usage.
I am replying by pressing the quote button again,i am not deleting any of the stuff you have written now which i used to do earlier.

I guess that was the reason why it was looking like i had not clicked on the quote button.
Old 8th June 2011, 13:34   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am replying by pressing the quote button again.....
You got it right now, I think the reason earlier was deleting the quote codes in the process while you were deleting part of the post.

Waiting for your bag image thats fitted near the gear knob
Old 8th June 2011, 19:08   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You got it right now, I think the reason earlier was deleting the quote codes in the process while you were deleting part of the post.

Waiting for your bag image thats fitted near the gear knob
Today i decided to do a full tank at one of the good petrol pumps as per Tbhp list ( Ghatkopar east, near amar mahal - one which has maruti training school ), my car was in reserve and there must have been atleast 1.5 to 2 ltrs remaining, but the attendant filled in 15.67 ltrs and he also gave me a receipt.

He resoned that they are able to fill more then company specified capacity and i can always verify the same.

According to them the Tank always has some extra capacity to hold more petrol.

Has anyone out here able to get more than 15 ltrs in their Nano's yet?
My AC squeaks and squirms a lot when started, but settles down after some time no noises heard.

I discovered it today when i asked the attendant to fill in air in stepney, that it needs to be removed to fill in air!

Is it possible to get the pull down sun visors that we get for most cars?
Old 8th June 2011, 19:27   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....they are able to fill more then company specified capacity and i can always verify the same.......to fill in air in stepney, that it needs to be removed to fill in air!....
Yes, I heard the same when I filled my 5 ltr free coupon from a fuel station next to the dealer. I did a 10 ltr filling and attendant said it can take upto 20 ltrs !! Anyway, tank might be bigger but it would require an empty space technically. I am not an automobile engineer but somehow I feel filling to the brim may not be safe. Even auto cut off filling keeps some space in any tank, not when you lift the nozzle and fill more.

Filling the stepney is a pain which has been reported by many. I have not tried yet I am thinking of removing it and making a mini flexible basket there to hold few light weight things like the duster, car cover etc, same like how you keep your helmet under a scooter seat !

You have not posted your bag image. I am waiting.
Old 8th June 2011, 20:11   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I heard the same when I filled my 5 ltr free coupon from a fuel station next to the dealer. I did a 10 ltr filling and attendant said it can take upto 20 ltrs !! Anyway, tank might be bigger but it would require an empty space technically. I am not an automobile engineer but somehow I feel filling to the brim may not be safe. Even auto cut off filling keeps some space in any tank, not when you lift the nozzle and fill more.

Filling the stepney is a pain which has been reported by many. I have not tried yet I am thinking of removing it and making a mini flexible basket there to hold few light weight things like the duster, car cover etc, same like how you keep your helmet under a scooter seat !

You have not posted your bag image. I am waiting.
Buddy my car is away from me for 2-3 days so it might take time.
Its nothing but a NIKON Camera bag in which i store the car papers, medical kit , torch.

Just type NIKON PVC camera bag in google images, its the first one.
It was given to me by my neighbour for my FUJIFILM camera but found a better utitlity for it in Nano.

I liked your idea of creating a basket @ front since i find accesing the boot for parking cover very cubersome.Something which is shaped like the stephney itself and can be fitted on the very nut where the stephney is fitted.

There is also some scope of fitting a bottle holder in the space between the front tow seats, behind handbrake.If i find a good one , i will surely try.
Old 8th June 2011, 20:35   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
......I liked your idea of creating a basket @ front since i find accesing the boot for parking cover very cumbersome.......scope of fitting a bottle holder in the space between the front tow seats, behind handbrake.......
Basket under the bonnet is an idea that stuck me the first day I opened for fuel filling. My usage is purely within the city, so stepney can remain at home without any issue Also remember it is the front size, so if the rear tire gets punctured, there is no use to the spare anyway.

What you said is right, accessing the boot is a pain as you have to pull up the nylon strips of both sides. Bottle holder is also a perfect idea, even I am looking for a 1 ltr bottle holder that can be a perfect fit to the center bar. I have not got enough time to inspect the interior well to see the potential of such small small things that make a lot of difference at a very low cost.
Old 8th June 2011, 20:45   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Basket under the bonnet is an idea that stuck me the first day I opened for fuel filling. My usage is purely within the city, so stepney can remain at home without any issue Also remember it is the front size, so if the rear tire gets punctured, there is no use to the spare anyway.

What you said is right, accessing the boot is a pain as you have to pull up the nylon strips of both sides. Bottle holder is also a perfect idea, even I am looking for a 1 ltr bottle holder that can be a perfect fit to the center bar. I have not got enough time to inspect the interior well to see the potential of such small small things that make a lot of difference at a very low cost.
You can use the smaller front tyre @ rear as well, check the manual which suggests you should not exceed 40kph in such a scenario, so dont keep that wheel @ home, i will try to see if it fits under the front seat from the backside, else it should hopefully fit in boot, but will need some brains to FIT it in boot since it wont lie down in boot.

I am thinking of tying a single string to both the hooks of the boot and pulling that string to check if it pulls both the hooks at one time!

It needs to be made simpler.

I have got a ciggy lighter fitted from the dealer itself and i will remove it as soon as i get multiple phone charger, cost 500rs at the dealer which is expensive.
Old 8th June 2011, 20:52   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....I am thinking of tying a single string to both the hooks of the boot and pulling that string to check if it pulls both the hooks at one time!....
Now try deleting part of the message too while quoting instead of quoting the whole post.

Dont try all that string thing on the seat locks, unlocking by pulling them together with our hand is not tough, so why take the trouble of doing all that. You might do it in such a way that the whole seat pulls out of the floor

Again, stepney tire does not look like a necessity to me. Worst case situation we can even hire an auto rickshaw to tow our nano to the workshop, if road side assistance does not respond.

I will post more on that tomorrow, let me see what space we get by doing that.
Old 8th June 2011, 21:42   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Worst case situation we can even hire an auto rickshaw to tow our nano to the workshop, if road side assistance does not respond.
Isnt that funny?

Ok i know i am asking too much, but the other day a small drive of around 20 kms on mumbai highway blocked by rear view vision due to all splashing effect, WISH we had a Rear wiper as well.

Also any ideas to improve the capacity of Windshield washer bottle?
Old 9th June 2011, 12:20   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
......WISH we had a Rear wiper as well....Also any ideas to improve the capacity of Windshield washer bottle?
Wish I had the ABS and EBD transplanted from my previous car

There is no end to wishing, so lets give it a rest. I am happy with what I have and do not want to spend any money on it as long as its moving on 4 wheels and taking me from point A to B. You can keep a 1 ltr clean water for filling whenever required, as long as city drive is concerned, I dont think its anything to bother. Also keep a day's newspaper in the car, glass cleaning becomes handy.

I removed the stepney tire as part of our previous discussion, its resting under kid's bed now. Need to measure the area, leaving enough space for AC fan and check what can perfectly fit there. There is no heating element in that space, so choosing the material will not be an issue. A compact basket that can hold the duster and car cover is my primary target. Lets see !

Last edited by shajufx : 9th June 2011 at 12:22.
Old 17th June 2011, 19:35   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Also remember it is the front size, so if the rear tire gets punctured, there is no use to the spare anyway.

Read the manual - it says that the spare tyre can be used in the rear in a 'limp home" mode and the rear one should be repaired / replaced ASAP.

@ silverado, the S Yellow NANO cos me 1.4L only ! (Regd, in Delhi)

Most Viewed