Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2011, 10:33   #106
BHPian

re: VW Vento Highline TDi, My Silver Streak - 5 years, 78000 kms and still raring for many more

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Here I have represented the area where the squeaks emanate from (3rd pic ) . I have marked out the interacting parts which cause the squeaks (pic 2) , hope they are visible. Its the painted portion underneath of the door frame and a portion of the painted section of the door .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I ain't surprised at that. And I thought squeaks were only with Maruti cars. Wonder what's next - rattles?

But I have already got used to it. That, and the hard clutch - guess owning a Maruti for several years helps you to "adjust" with the small issues your car brings up.
Though I tried to have the rattles fixed in my Zen and eventually gave up for the lack of a permanent solution, the sounds did bother me and never really adjusted to them! So I am a little extra sensitive this time for the Vento and have had my ears wide open for any rattles. Nothing yet!

Quote:
I have rationalised it as rarest of rare cases and moved on . I had a nice chat with the dealer , I do respect his knowledge - he has been a tyre dealer for more than 30 years and he also mentioned that this is the first time in his life that he is seeing such a precision knife through tyre damage which has cleanly cut through the toe and even knifed through near the rim but not left a scratch anywhere ! The damn thing was not even lodged in the tyre , I could have the pleasure of cursing at it
I hope this is a one in a million occurrence. Because I have my eyes really set on the C drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I noticed the steering to be light with the C-drives compared to the apollos. Lower rolling resistance - may be?
Like Sourav said, I think it could be that a little running-in is required for the tires.
Old 3rd December 2011, 19:03   #107
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Vento Highline TDi, My Silver Streak - 5 years, 78000 kms and still raring for many more

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I hope this is a one in a million occurrence. Because I have my eyes really set on the C drives.
The C drives are very good tyres , no doubt about it - we can't help it that our roads have sharp metal pieces strewn all over and sticking out . Its a matter of luck really I must say , if I look at my incident rationally I guess no tyre sidewall would have survived whatever it was that spliced through my tyre
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:02   #108
BHPian

Hi Souravc,

The "squeaks" are really bad in my Vento. It was all fine for a couple of weeks after my purchase, but then it has started now. I too guessed that it must be the beading but when I read your report, its now confirmed that the doors are the main culprit. Just try this - from outside put some pressure on the door when it is closed. You can actually see the door doing in as some places. You can even hear the sound. Man, this is really disappointing.

I need to live with this car with all these weird sounds?? Its so frustrating when you slow the car down because of a pothole and you hear these sounds from all the doors.

Seriously disgusting!! My 4 lakh spark was better!

Regards,
Anant
Old 3rd March 2012, 15:20   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
Hi Souravc,

The "squeaks" are really bad in my Vento. It was all fine for a couple of weeks after my purchase, but then it has started now. I too guessed that it must be the beading but when I read your report, its now confirmed that the doors are the main culprit. Just try this - from outside put some pressure on the door when it is closed. You can actually see the door doing in as some places. You can even hear the sound. Man, this is really disappointing.

I need to live with this car with all these weird sounds?? Its so frustrating when you slow the car down because of a pothole and you hear these sounds from all the doors.

Seriously disgusting!! My 4 lakh spark was better!

Regards,
Anant
I know its very frustrating but since the issue is more complex than a door beading issue we have to live with it . One BHP-ian Vento owner Rachit experienced quite bit of relief it seems with cleaning the door inside lines though I have not seen any difference . My guess is that with use the sound will get less as the paint lining gets pressed day in and day out . As of now the music system helps me ignore it
cheers
Old 6th March 2012, 15:43   #110
BHPian

Quote:
I know its very frustrating but since the issue is more complex than a door beading issue we have to live with it . One BHP-ian Vento owner Rachit experienced quite bit of relief it seems with cleaning the door inside lines though I have not seen any difference . My guess is that with use the sound will get less as the paint lining gets pressed day in and day out . As of now the music system helps me ignore it
cheers
Had been to the service centre to talk about this problem. They have totally rectified the problem and now there is not even a single rattle in my car. The service guy said that the alignment of the door is the culprit and he also told that they had received many cars with this problem. I suggest you go to the workshop and get this done immediately. I'm finally at peace.

He also promised me to change the hydraulic clutch pipe when the stock arrives.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Anant
Old 26th May 2012, 20:21   #111
Senior - BHPian

Update on the pre monsoon checkup that I got done

Till now I have been visiting the Nerul workshop for my first service, summer / monsoon check-ups, etc and the experience was far from pleasing thus I thought that this time I would try out the VW Downtown workshop maintained by Shaman Cars which is at Lalbaug. VW Downtown was so much better than the Nerul workshop and the positives are as given below :-
1. Downtown workshop is at least 5 times the size of the Nerul workshop and the array of equipment is significantly ( and noticeably) more

2. The SAs and the workshop managers are upto date and do not give blank stares like an underprepared student who do not know the answer to the questions being thrown at him during a viva. I remember the epic arguements that I had to endure with the SAs to drill into their heads facts like speed activated locks , unlock on taking ignition key out , etc exist as features in the vento ( BHP-ians mihabre and el lobo were also there with me). The VW downtown guys were smart , knew about the car , knew about updates , knew about stuff that were supposed to be replaced under warranty, gave explanations and were professional (informs you if there is a delay expected)- impressive !

3. The workshop accepts credit card and does not apply a surcharge which by the way is against the agreement that any of these guys sign with master/visa.

BTW, the Nerul workshop does not even appear as a VW workshop on their website.

Now back to the work done
First up , my car had a small, yet deep dent in the left under side just below the door . The usual moron civic body had dug up certain places of the road somewhere in Nerul and they chose to fill up one of the ugly holes with a 1 foot tall concrete stub. Since this was on the left side at a blind turn , I could not see concrete stub and the car went over it resulting in the dent . Pictures attached should help elaborate further .
Name:  Dent.bmp
Views: 3187
Size:  506.3 KBName:  Dent 1.bmp
Views: 4148
Size:  506.3 KB
Given that monsoons were around the corner , I wanted to get this repaired asap so that there is no danger of rusting , etc. Frankly given the ugliness of the dent I was convinced that left hand running board would have to be replaced . Once I took the car to the workshop , the body shop manager had a look at it and said that replacement is not required - they would repair it and it would be as good as new with exact same paint and anti rust coating as well as touch-ups on the door . I think he kept his word .
Name:  Dent Repaired.bmp
Views: 3100
Size:  506.3 KBName:  Dent 1 Repaired.bmp
Views: 3279
Size:  506.3 KB

The whole thing cost Rs 6751 /- which included running board repair, painting, anti rust coating, underseal ( which seals the board and body gap) and touch-ups . I think it was pretty reasonable.

I also got the following done :-
1. Brake pads were replaced . My car has done apprx 25,000 km and the old brake pads were pretty worn out . Thankfully the SA gave me a warning when he was doing the general check up and replaced it . Next time onwards , I would keep an eye out from 22,000 kms itself - I should not have run it till 25,000 kms
Name:  brake pad.bmp
Views: 2805
Size:  352.0 KBName:  brake pad 1.bmp
Views: 2684
Size:  292.6 KB
It cost me Rs 2925 out of which brake pads were for Rs 1800 , around 400 was labour and rest was skimming charges

2. Diesel Fuel filter was replaced under warranty

3. Clutch vibration was never an issue in my car . I still asked the SA to check up and give his opinion , he said that clutch is fine . Thus I did not get the clutch hose changed , if nothing is broken why fix it ?

4. Door noise has been zeroised The SA explained to me why the noise happens . My earlier diagnose was fairly correct . To minimise the noise , the workshop reduced the "play" that a closed door would have. Now what is play ? Close the door and then push it ( to mimic a car going through rough road patches) , if it moves outward and inward ( keep an eye on the edges) too much and too easily the noise would be there.

5. Engine mount and gear mounts were not available, they have to pre-order . The workshop and myself mutually decided that engine mounts would be replaced during my next servicing which should happen in 2-3 months since 4,000-5,000 kms are left to go. That was completely acceptable to me .

My SA was Mr Joaquim and the body shop advisor was Prashant . They had the courtesy to call me up and inform me about any change required alongwith rough estimate of the charges - at the end of the day the actual bill was less than the estimates. Thankfully Joaquim insisted sternly that the brake pads were shot and Prashant assured me that the running board repair would be as good as getting a new one- saved me my NCB.

There were delays but I was kept informed much in advance which I appreciate. Given that the workshop handles around 50-55 cars everyday I am not surprised that there would be delays. Expect 30 min waiting time before you are attended to even if there is a prior appointment .

On a sidenote, I got to sit inside and scrutinise a Phaeton which had come for servicing in the workshop .. the equipment level was Whoa !

Last edited by souravc : 26th May 2012 at 20:22.
souravc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 20:49   #112
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the report Souravc. The running board repair have been executed very well.

Why charges for skimming brake pads when you have replaced it with new?
Old 26th May 2012, 21:28   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Thanks for the report Souravc. The running board repair have been executed very well.

Why charges for skimming brake pads when you have replaced it with new?
Its for skimming the discs to remove any rust , dirt, etc . BTW , we are you still driving in Chennai - I was expecting your new Jap drive report from the US of A and a trans Alaskan travelogue When are you leaving my friend?
Old 26th May 2012, 23:21   #114
Senior - BHPian

Excellent body work done and good praises to hear about VW Workshop Lalbaug. Damn but its too far from my place.

Even I have to get engine mounts replaced for my car and everyone says that it reduces vibration & clatter drastically. Will have it done coming week since university exams are getting over on 28 May.

Do you know miharbe? I'm planning a meet with him next weekend, care to join. Long time since a meet. Four fellow VeeDub owners, exchanging pleasantries.
Old 26th May 2012, 23:31   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Excellent body work done and good praises to hear about VW Workshop Lalbaug. Damn but its too far from my place.
Dude, you go to Worli for your audio setup for as important a thing as the engine mounts I am sure you can do the Downtown workshop miles .

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Do you know miharbe? I'm planning a meet with him next weekend, care to join. Long time since a meet. Four fellow VeeDub owners, exchanging pleasantries.
of course I know mihabre (ebrahim) , he is on my bbm and we chat quite a lot . We were the ones who taught the Nerul workshop about the auto door lock and the unlock You should hear from him about his depressing experience with Nerul workshop .
Do sound me out when you guys finalise , I will be there . I do not mind travelling to Navi Mumbai if you want, let me know
Old 27th May 2012, 17:16   #116
Senior - BHPian

Yeah. Leaving next weekend. I have already sold my car, but then had to do a quick jaunt between bangalore to chennai for some official reason. Got the car back for a couple of days, since the person who bought the car from me is a good friend of mine. One last opportunity to appreciate the composure and confidence this car provides you on our highways.

As far as the trans alaskan travelogue goes, I think it has to wait for a while. Firstly, I may not be able to buy a car immediately there, might have to survive with rentals for a month or two till I get my family to come over and settle down there. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:
BTW , we are you still driving in Chennai - I was expecting your new Jap drive report from the US of A and a trans Alaskan travelogue When are you leaving my friend?
Old 6th June 2012, 17:46   #117
BHPian

Hey !! excellent report.
I'm planning to do a pre-monsoon check-up (though monsoon already arrived here). I would be changing the brake pads and also enquire about the engine mounts.
Also, the need for my conti-tyre change would come up soon. I think i'll replace them all at 40000 Kms (Now @ 33000 kms)
Old 7th June 2012, 00:51   #118
Senior - BHPian

Re: Update on C Drive - not a happy one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Hey !! excellent report.
I'm planning to do a pre-monsoon check-up (though monsoon already arrived here). I would be changing the brake pads and also enquire about the engine mounts.
Also, the need for my conti-tyre change would come up soon. I think i'll replace them all at 40000 Kms (Now @ 33000 kms)
Mate, please remember to call up the workshop and give them advance intimation of the need/desire to change the engine mounts - at least a couple of weeks to be on the safe side.
Given my experience with the tyre change , please give utmost importance to how much abuse the tyre can take of pot holed roads . My C drives have proven to be a very expensive choice for me given their suspect tyre wall, there is no doubt that they are not suited to pot holed roads .

Last edited by noopster : 10th August 2012 at 15:47. Reason: Retained relevant part of post
Old 9th August 2012, 13:45   #119
BHPian

Quote:
The suspension is not as stiff as fiats and fords and given the "upgraded" sinze of the craters in Mumbai I think big clearances are pretty welcome
Good to hear that Kolkata has been overtaken by others as crater city .

Quote:
This is my previous trip which got postponed , visiting after a year and a half This is actually an official trip which I have extended to include a visit home . I am certainly not driving
What, you should have driven . Would have been quite an adventure on NH6. Lets catch up when you are here.
Old 10th August 2012, 15:50   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note: Posts on Souravc's tyre experience have been moved to this thread for the ease and convenience of all our readers.

Sourav, I was shocked to find my Aceleres losing grip at 26,000 km but it seems this is the planned life of these tyres! Member subodh who has an identical car to mine just had his tyres changed at the 30K service on VW's advice. Anyway, more on the tyre thread

Most Viewed