Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 19:59   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold

Excellent review of an iconic SUV, thanks for sharing!

I only wish the Pajero had more power & an engine immobiliser! That aside, the ride & handling, lag-less engine and bullet-proof construction are very endearing. This is the kind of vehicle you buy once, and hold on to forever (much like our humbler Jeeps).

You should get in touch with your dealership. A Mitsubishi official confirmed with me that they have approved a GPS-based security system for fitment in Pajeros. Please consider this top priority.

Congrats. And do drive safe.
Old 15th April 2011, 21:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

@GTO

Sorry but the linky is non-clickable was it meant to be ? There are GPS based tracking security systems in the market..infact a neighbour is doing it on a professional basis. Is this any different ??

I'd rather have a non-starteable vehicle than having to bother with tracking it down though !

Cheers
Old 15th April 2011, 22:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Excellent review of an iconic SUV, thanks for sharing!

I only wish the Pajero had more power & an engine immobiliser! That aside, the ride & handling, lag-less engine and bullet-proof construction are very endearing. This is the kind of vehicle you buy once, and hold on to forever (much like our humbler Jeeps).

You should get in touch with your dealership. A Mitsubishi official confirmed with me that they have approved a GPS-based security system for fitment in Pajeros. Please consider this top priority.

Congrats. And do drive safe.
Thanks a lot GTO. Getting a security system is right on top of my todo list. I got a confirmation from Autocop today that they do indeed have a Gear Lock with a Mounting Plate for the Pajero. Will get that installed ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
@GTO

Sorry but the linky is non-clickable was it meant to be ? There are GPS based tracking security systems in the market..infact a neighbour is doing it on a professional basis. Is this any different ??

I'd rather have a non-starteable vehicle than having to bother with tracking it down though !

Cheers
I feel the same, although nothing is foolproof but having a GPS tracker might be useful in case one needs to track it in the eventuality.
Old 15th April 2011, 23:31   #34
BHPian

Congrats traveler on your purchase and welcome to the Mitsubishi fans' club here ta team-bhp!!

2 points which you made were applicable when i bought the cedia too-firstly the reliable mechanicals aspect.this is very very true-in fact modern cars have so many electronic gadgetry that it makes the car very vulnerable to a malfunction and subsequent problems!it is much better to avoid excess electronics in cars and go for tried and trusted mechanical components!

Secondly the car being old-many felt the same when i bought cedia too.point to be noted here is that old need not always be bad!!and more often old tends to be better than new vehicles in some aspects!!
Old 21st April 2011, 09:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Congratulations Traveler!! Pajero without any doubts has one of the finest Ride and Handling balance for a Chassis based SUV, a quality which elevates it to league above Fortuner/Endeavour. The 4WD system again is superb with the ability to select 2wd or AWD for road usage, Rear LSD is another advantage over Fortuner.

Low gearing takes care of lack of power(Compared to Fortuner/Endy), only when revving hard on open roads the power handicap shows. Pajero just like it's other Chassis based competitors is built to last for decades. To me the looks are timeless, Classic. Good pick i'd say if you don't mind the lower power output.

How about upgrading the rubber to A/T? I guess Pajero still comes with MRF tires, i recommend Yokohama Geolander A/T.
Got the Yokos today. Had a tough time locating them, apparently not all dealers stock this size. Tyres look and feel good on the Pajero. Will report on how they perform once I do some trails. Paid 12K for all 5 tyres after exchanging them with the MRF ZVRL's that came as stock.
Old 21st April 2011, 09:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ricky (Old Pajero Hand) and Traveler (NPH !),
A quick query - what kind of FE figures are your Pajeros returning - city / highway ?

Have been wanting to know this for some time now. A chap who I checked with sometime ago and who who has the older Pajero mentioned something like 6-7 KMPL. Is that right or with the newer engines (CRDe type) have the FEs have improved ?

Thanks.

Last edited by Guderian : 21st April 2011 at 09:55.
Old 21st April 2011, 12:29   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Ricky Jee,how did you come upon with the CSD quota thing?
PB65 is Mohali's registration number,i dont think,one can make out with that temp number,if it has been purchased through CSD.
Firstly Pajero is not a CSD listed item. Actually Ford Endeavour is the only SUV class vehicle available through CSD apart from Tata Safari.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:47   #38
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Traveler saw the thread a bit late. Congarts. Great to see an entire family agreeing on views about the different SUV options that you considered.

Also liked the constant updates that you have kept providing in this shot time, am sure that there will be a lot of Safari vs Pajero vs fortuner comparos that will keep popping up on your thread over time.

Even the extended warranty period seems quite low. Keep the mile crunching going, the Pajero owners on the forum are actually increasing in strength.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:12   #39
BHPian

Welcome Traveller to the clan of the Pajero owners.. You have bought a beautiful trouble free vehicle (companion). In the past 4 odd years I have not faced any issues. Just a word of caution - please make sure that when getting the engine washed, do let the water jet come directly on the intercooler cover turbo fins.. they are very easily bent..

Cheers
Old 21st April 2011, 17:14   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Welcome Traveller to the clan of the Pajero owners.. You have bought a beautiful trouble free vehicle (companion). In the past 4 odd years I have not faced any issues. Just a word of caution - please make sure that when getting the engine washed, do let the water jet come directly on the intercooler cover turbo fins.. they are very easily bent..

Cheers
You meant "do not" let the waterjet....?
Old 21st April 2011, 17:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Ricky (Old Pajero Hand) and Traveler (NPH !),
A quick query - what kind of FE figures are your Pajeros returning - city / highway ?

Have been wanting to know this for some time now. A chap who I checked with sometime ago and who who has the older Pajero mentioned something like 6-7 KMPL. Is that right or with the newer engines (CRDe type) have the FEs have improved ?

Thanks.
Will update once I get the fuel tank topped up, it is still running on the first fuel tank full that I did when I bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post

Cheers
Thanks for the excellent tip, I will definitely keep this in mind when getting it washed.
Old 21st April 2011, 19:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

My Pajero returns around 9 kmpl in city driving with A.C at Economy mode. 11 kmpl on highway runs. Full tank to full tank.

Cheers
Old 21st April 2011, 23:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Will update once I get the fuel tank topped up, it is still running on the first fuel tank full that I did when I bought it.

Thanks for the excellent tip, I will definitely keep this in mind when getting it washed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
My Pajero returns around 9 kmpl in city driving with A.C at Economy mode. 11 kmpl on highway runs. Full tank to full tank.

Cheers
Thanks Traveler and Ricky.
Ricky - Is your Pajero with a CRDe engine ?
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:42   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For the Pajero, I have no experience with A.S.S. yet, so cannot comment.
Hi traveler

congrats on your buy , from the pictures I assume you have bough this from Mohali Dealer - my personal experiences with HM dealers has not been good , the dealer in Gurgaon used spurious parts . I used Mohali dealer once - they did tried to impress by words but service was OK - the left pulling in the car was never sorted and they still have 2 kind of spares - One Made in Japan and Second Made in India for many consumables like Brake Pads . I will advise you to be there at time of servicing - just as we used to do 15 years back with Ambys ... get everything done in your front after checking all parts .

Two Small things - Get yourself a rear & front guards repairs are very expensive + did you checked Michelin A/T ? they are expensive but wonderful both on & off road.
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:58   #45
Senior - BHPian

Traveler, firstly thank you for a honest review.

Congratulations on the Pajero acquisition. It is a beaut of a car to own! I really like the Pajero's road presence and the respect it commands on the road. As some body said already, it is something you buy and keep it for ever!

Happy Motoring!

Most Viewed