Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 17:19   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Am quite curious to know how they did it on the DI engine without going the CR way - which was the standard response of many auto-comps pushing diesel engines to meet the Euro/BS norms.
Aha ! Now I know what they did to that old Di engine to make it BSIV compliant after trawling the net and other posts here on the forum.
They just dropped the BHP from 118 to 108 and thereby the torque too has dropped to a corresponding level. Means lesser fuel being injected in all the gears - so lesser emissions by ensuring lesser unburnt fuel.

Traveler you sure are luckly to have got the 118 BHP engine. I guess that'll soon get phased out even in the non metros !

Sure surprises me - why the blazes can't they just put in a CRDe engine ?!!
Old 28th April 2011, 21:07   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Aha ! Now I know what they did to that old Di engine to make it BSIV compliant after trawling the net and other posts here on the forum.
They just dropped the BHP from 118 to 108 and thereby the torque too has dropped to a corresponding level. Means lesser fuel being injected in all the gears - so lesser emissions by ensuring lesser unburnt fuel.

Traveler you sure are luckly to have got the 118 BHP engine. I guess that'll soon get phased out even in the non metros !

Sure surprises me - why the blazes can't they just put in a CRDe engine ?!!

Simple because they are getting the Pajero Sport with the 3.2Ltr engine presently doing duty in the Montero, and will be selling the present Pajero as the "Pajero Classic"

Till that happens - they wish to remain in the "game" hence this penny pinching

The surprising thing is that the Pajero Sport is slated to be pitched head on against the Fortuner price wise with way better interiors & possibly a Rockfosgate audio and a AT option..

Seems like the T-Fort is set to face some serious competition !!!!

Cheerio
Old 28th April 2011, 21:37   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Simple because they are getting the Pajero Sport with the 3.2Ltr engine presently doing duty in the Montero, and will be selling the present Pajero as the "Pajero Classic"

The surprising thing is that the Pajero Sport is slated to be pitched head on against the Fortuner price wise with way better interiors & possibly a Rockfosgate audio and a AT option..

Cheerio
So does that mean the present 90s Paj will be sold at it's original price?
I mean around 10 lacs?
Old 28th April 2011, 22:10   #79
BHPian

Heard from the mitsubishi salesman that the new Pajero sports would cost around 30L. If that is true, forget the idea of competing with Fortuner.

The current Pajero costs an absurd 26L on-road in Bangalore. I don't think they will reduce price by much. Ideally it should be around 12-14L on-road in it's current form.
Old 28th April 2011, 23:13   #80
Senior - BHPian

At 30 + lakhs OTR it's going to be overkill.
and pricing it above the Tfort is suicide.
if the sell the current model at a price upto 15 lakhs i am sure a lot of people will be queuing up for one.
Old 28th April 2011, 23:39   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Heard from the mitsubishi salesman that the new Pajero sports would cost around 30L. If that is true, forget the idea of competing with Fortuner.

The current Pajero costs an absurd 26L on-road in Bangalore. I don't think they will reduce price by much. Ideally it should be around 12-14L on-road in it's current form.
What the...
The Paj sport is overpriced at 20 lacs itself forget about 30lacs.
Just like the T-fort it should be ideally priced at 12 lacs,but since it's in India we can look at 20lacs.
Anything above that is not going to sell,especially as it doesn't have the looks of the T-fort.
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-10042011009.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-10042011010.jpg  

Old 29th April 2011, 07:20   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Gudeian:

The Pajero 2.8 is not a DI engine. It is an even older IDI engine. It is hard to comply with emission norms from IDI engines' without sacrificing power.
Old 29th April 2011, 09:38   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post

Cheerio
Ha ha ! Good one.
Present Pajero shouldn't be labelled calssic should be branded 'Heritage' !

The "game" for Mitsu-HM seems to be funny PP is already priced higher than TFort and the rest and so am puzzled. Surely they can afford to bring in better engine tech ? Also that with the new P Sport coming would that not cannibalise the PP sales with much lower output ? Unless of course the PS is priced much higher ? Logically would appear that the PS needs to be priced higher. Appears anyway that the PP would be destined for the 'dehati' markets where as it was mentioned here earlier that it still holds fort as a status symbol.

Nothing like a drive-shive on a Sunday-wonday on a k'maal da rangeen, P'jero-Sh'jero ! To make the 'pind' wake up to the fact-shact that you have arrived- sharrived !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@Gudeian:

The Pajero 2.8 is not a DI engine. It is an even older IDI engine. It is hard to comply with emission norms from IDI engines' without sacrificing power.
Wow ! Thanks 4x4addict.
Wasn't really aware of that ! IDI ?!! So does this mean that prior to April 2005 the IDI engine was much more powerful than the BSIII 118 BHP engine ? What were the BHP figures ?
If the older Pajs were better placed BHPwise than the BSIII engines one those would be real collectors item !

Last edited by Guderian : 29th April 2011 at 09:39.
Old 29th April 2011, 10:28   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
So does that mean the present 90s Paj will be sold at it's original price?
I mean around 10 lacs?

I think for it to survive they will need to drop the price to atleast 15L if not lesser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post

If the Pajero Sport has an Ex-Showroom price to match the Fortuner is ONLY when it will be a game changer. If HM is planning to price it way above the Fortuner, they have lost it.

The current SFX will probably be priced around 15 if not lesser, lest they should discontinue it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
At 30 + lakhs OTR it's going to be overkill.
and pricing it above the Tfort is suicide.
if the sell the current model at a price upto 15 lakhs i am sure a lot of people will be queuing up for one.

Totally agree with your POV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
What the...
The Paj sport is overpriced at 20 lacs itself forget about 30lacs.
Just like the T-fort it should be ideally priced at 12 lacs,but since it's in India we can look at 20lacs.
Anything above that is not going to sell,especially as it doesn't have the looks of the T-fort.

I disagree on that. The Pajero Sport has way better equipment level than the present Pajero or the T-Fort. If priced near the 20L Ex-Showroom mark it will be a huge success, but if they do "another Pajero SFX" on it - it will be digging it's own grave.

As for the looks - I think it is subjective, the one that you posted is certainly not a looker, but I have seen various pictures of it on the net & it is a bit radical but not ugly atleast to me. Personally I still find SFX very good looking

Here is a youtube link

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 29th April 2011 at 10:33.
Old 21st May 2011, 23:51   #85
Senior - BHPian

Have been traveling a lot recently and did not get time to update. Just a quick update. The Odo stands at 3623 now and the engine is settling in well. The drive has become smoother and the gearshift is like a hot knife through butter.

Got the first service done on schedule at 1000 Kms and had nothing to point out. Cost of servicing was zero and took around 2 hours.

Mileage figures: (All figures with A/C on all the time)

1st Tank Full: 7.3 Kmpl
2nd Tank Full: 9.1 Kmpl
3rd Tank Full: 8.5 Kmpl
4th Tank Full: 10.3 Kmpl
5th Tank Full: 9.7 Kmpl
6th Tank Full: Going on Presently.

Total Spent on Fuel so far: Rs. 16494.64 with 6th Tank full still at halfway approximately.

Car Wash: Two Times: Rs. 380/-

General Observations:
Also had a chance to drive on the highway for atleast 2000 Kms out of the total. Things I noticed on the highway. Extremely well planted on the road, drives just like a car. You can actually maneuver the vehicle into tight spots as well as do high speed runs very confidently. It inspires confidence and the steering is very accurate and predictable.

The pulling power and the pickup in the 70-120 range is fantastic. I had mentioned earlier that the Safari might be quicker, but now I can say confidently that the Pajero is hard to catch once in the 70-120 range. Perhaps the well sorted ride and accurate steering give the driver the edge here.

There were a few squeaks from the door panel that I fixed, mostly to do with loose screws in the speaker grill in the front left door.

Air-conditioner is super, I have no sun film and have been driving in the hot weather at around 2 P.M. everyday in the city. Did not feel the need to have a sun-film and the A/C chills very fast. The Econo mode also works well and does not let it become too chilly.

That about wraps it up for this quick update. Comments / Questions welcome as always.
Old 28th July 2011, 17:12   #86
Senior - BHPian

Second Service Update at 10K kilometers.

I completed 9964 Kms on 23rd July and took the Pajero for it's second service. Total expenses on the second service were Rs. 3103/- . This included Engine Oil, Oil Filter and a push down type plastic button for the floor carpet that I had lost.

There was nothing to report / complain at the service. The Pajero has been doing it's duty day in and day out every single day. The mileage has settled at 9.6 Kmpl with full AC on in local city drive.

The service guys did the usual stuff, check all electricals, clean air filter, check all lubricants and coolant. No top-ups were required for the steering fluid, clutch fluid or brake fluid. Even the coolant level was spot on. They did fill up the windshield washer and added the liquid cleaner to it as well. Rest they rotated the tyres, checked underbody chassis nuts and bolts. Finally a thorough wash and I was ready to roll.

Overall time spend was under 3 hours and I was back at home for Lunch. Service station was Kosmo motors, Mohali. Same place from where I bought the vehicle.

My extended warranty booklet is still to come and I took that up with the dealer. They have promised to get it expedited with HM.

I am on the lookout for some accessories like the Fender Mirrors, Window Shades. Still to figure out where I can get those.

Should be back for the Third service in about 3 months. Will update the thread if something comes up in the meantime.

Last but not least I added a Motorsports Camera to the vehicle. The one I have is the GoPro HD available at Amazon.com: GoPro HD Motorsports HERO Camera: Camera & Photo

Also added an Electronic Compass and Thermometer plus a two port USB power port to power my phone and the camera.

The camera is amazing and takes brilliant HD videos. I am sure this is going to be great when I go offroading

Cheers
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 17:22   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Second Service Update at 10K kilometers.
@Traveler - Have been following all the SUV threads to learn all about it so that i am equipped with the knowledge by the time i decide to buy one.

In the Fortuner thread of Guderian there was a mention of greasing of the Propeller shaft at 10K service which the ASC's always miss or are not aware of it. Now i am not sure if that is applicable to the Pajero, but thought i should just bring it to your notice.

Disclaimer: This is being posted on the basis on reading different threads on T-BHP and the poster does not have first hand knowledge about it.
Old 28th July 2011, 17:42   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@Traveler - Have been following all the SUV threads to learn all about it so that i am equipped with the knowledge by the time i decide to buy one.

In the Fortuner thread of Guderian there was a mention of greasing of the Propeller shaft at 10K service which the ASC's always miss or are not aware of it. Now i am not sure if that is applicable to the Pajero, but thought i should just bring it to your notice.

Disclaimer: This is being posted on the basis on reading different threads on T-BHP and the poster does not have first hand knowledge about it.

I did check this with them, the drive shaft is scheduled for greasing at 30K and I will get it done at that time. Thanks for mentioning it though.
Old 28th July 2011, 22:28   #89
Senior - BHPian

Traveler - Many congratulations on acquiring THE SUV!! A befitting successor to the Safari that you owned earlier. This is my dream SUV and my next upgrade for sure, if it is still in the market till then, that is

Some more pics please, especially off-road ones, if any!!
Old 7th August 2011, 00:55   #90
BANNED

Hi Traveler,
How is your Pajero doing off late? Any offroading that you have done in it so far that you want to share?

One more query. You had mentioned that the front seats recline all the way to become flat beds. Does that mean that they merge into the middle bench like the ones on the Xylo for example? Can you post a few pics to clarify it please?

What are your city and Highway FE figures at now?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks