Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:28   #166
BHPian

re: Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Where exactly did the A.S.S. look for the cabin filter in the Pajero ? I think it is behind the glove box but I have never opened it. Let me know where to look for and I will double check in my vehicle and update you.

All cars develop this smell problem especially after the rainy season and the easiest way to get rid of the odour is to run the blower with the heater turned on to max for 5 minutes with the recirculation mode on. This is quite effective in getting rid of all the musty smell.
Yes - it is below the glove box as circled in the picture. I could not take the picture of the plastic housing which they showed the other day.
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-paj-int-dash.jpg  

Old 22nd January 2013, 11:33   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Yes - it is below the glove box as circled in the picture. I could not take the picture of the plastic housing which they showed the other day.
Ok, I will check up the panel today and let you know if my vehicle has a cabin filter in that place.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:26   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now here is the interesting part. The best thing I like about the vehicle is it's reliability, simple mechanical design and clean lines.
Very interesting.
I faced the same issue when I wanted to replace the gear and diff oil in the Tucson. As far as I recall, 75w90 GL4 is what the Tucson needs too and GL5 is not good for a vehicle that needs GL4 (GL5 can damage the synchro rings on these older generation gear-boxes, etc). FInally, after a lot of search, the local Mobil dealer got me the 75W90 GL4 but my happiness did not last long. After 2/3 months, the differencial started leaking and the seal had to be replaced and while doing that the A.S.S. drained my precious 75w90 GL4 oil and filled something they had. I have a feeling that engine braking has increased and I am not happy with it but it did not occur to me that the gear-box oil may be the cause until I read your experience. I will try to change it and see how it goes. If I lift my foot off the accelerator, I want the Tucson to just keep rolling until I brake (like what happens on the Laura TSi - what an amazing engine that one).

Thanks!

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th February 2017 at 18:28. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large posts. Thanks.
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:40   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

Very interesting.
I faced the same issue when I wanted to replace the gear and diff oil in the Tucson. As far as I recall, 75w90 GL4 is what the Tucson needs too and GL5 is not good for a vehicle that needs GL4 (GL5 can damage the synchro rings on these older generation gear-boxes, etc). FInally, after a lot of search, the local Mobil dealer got me the 75W90 GL4 but my happiness did not last long. After 2/3 months, the differencial started leaking and the seal had to be replaced and while doing that the A.S.S. drained my precious 75w90 GL4 oil and filled something they had. I have a feeling that engine braking has increased and I am not happy with it but it did not occur to me that the gear-box oil may be the cause until I read your experience. I will try to change it and see how it goes. If I lift my foot off the accelerator, I want the Tucson to just keep rolling until I brake (like what happens on the Laura TSi - what an amazing engine that one).

Thanks!
Check the owners manual for the correct spec of the oil. Pajero requires GL4 for gearbox and transfer case and GL5 for the differentials. The Mobil 1 SHC 75w90 meets both these requirements since it is dual rated for both GL4 and GL5.
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:58   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Check the owners manual for the correct spec of the oil. Pajero requires GL4 for gearbox and transfer case and GL5 for the differentials. The Mobil 1 SHC 75w90 meets both these requirements since it is dual rated for both GL4 and GL5.
Yes, exactly the same specs for the Tucson and hence had similar troble sourcing.
Old 28th September 2013, 10:14   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quick update from my side. I bought a new Lancer Ralliart. Enjoy the pictures.... Details to follow in a separate thread soon...

Name:  ForumRunner_20130927_233925.png
Views: 4467
Size:  518.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130927_233954.png
Views: 4409
Size:  403.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130927_234115.png
Views: 4504
Size:  610.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130927_234155.png
Views: 4422
Size:  482.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130927_234219.png
Views: 4402
Size:  573.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130927_234254.png
Views: 4390
Size:  583.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130927_234315.png
Views: 4257
Size:  619.3 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130927_234345.png
Views: 4154
Size:  610.4 KB
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 17:51   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Congratulations on the decision and the new ride! You are indeed correct in saying that the Pajero has a more comfortable ride quality than the Fortuner.

Also the noise levels in the Fortuner seem higher than the Pajero's.

Both vehicles are very capable on and off the road though the Fortuner has more grunt on the road..i have both vehicles so can safely vouch for that.

That said, you have bought a gem of a Jeep that is going to give you a million miles (literally) of driving pleasure and years of reliable service.

Congratulations once again on a superb choice and enjoy the ride.

I will leave you with a few snaps of our Pajero.
Hi Manuuj, your Pajero looks awesome with those ARB bullbars! Can you please share from where you bought and installed it? Also, would be great if you can share the cost too.
Old 6th November 2015, 19:55   #173

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 7th November 2015 at 10:52.
Road4X4Traveler is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th November 2015, 20:05   #174
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Congratulations on a wise purchase. Please let me know how can i help you.
Old 7th November 2015, 15:57   #175

Hi Traveler,

Thank you for your wishes.

1. I am from Delhi and i needed some good mechanic for my pajero. Do you know some good honest mechanic outlet in delhi from where i can get the labour support for my pajero as i needed to get 60000 service done in next few months.
I am not mechanically inclined but want to be one now for the upkeep of my vehicle.

2. From where i can get the service manuals for pajero? so that even if i get the service done myself, i stick to the company recommended service schedule.

3. Though it is posted here itself but if it is more elaborated one, Kindly post the whole 60,000 km service schedule if you have one.

4. If any of the parts are to be replaced like all three belts or anything for that matter, kindly post the parts along with the company name?

5. And one more thing, since you have used both yokohama and michellin. If you recommend one which one would you and why?

It will be of great help Traveler. Thanks in advance.
Since you are not very active on the forum now and considering you to be my guru for keeping my pajero in good shape, how can i contact you in case need arises.

Last edited by Road4X4Traveler : 7th November 2015 at 16:13.
Old 8th November 2015, 00:40   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road4X4Traveler View Post
Hi Traveler,

Thank you for your wishes.

1. I am from Delhi and i needed some good mechanic for my pajero. Do you know some good honest mechanic outlet in delhi from where i can get the labour support for my pajero as i needed to get 60000 service done in next few months.
I am not mechanically inclined but want to be one now for the upkeep of my vehicle.

2. From where i can get the service manuals for pajero? so that even if i get the service done myself, i stick to the company recommended service schedule.

3. Though it is posted here itself but if it is more elaborated one, Kindly post the whole 60,000 km service schedule if you have one.

4. If any of the parts are to be replaced like all three belts or anything for that matter, kindly post the parts along with the company name?

5. And one more thing, since you have used both yokohama and michellin. If you recommend one which one would you and why?

It will be of great help Traveler. Thanks in advance.
Since you are not very active on the forum now and considering you to be my guru for keeping my pajero in good shape, how can i contact you in case need arises.

You are welcome. You have bought a classic vehicle and you will never regret your decision. The vehicle is bulletproof and can take much more than anything you can throw it's way. I have completed two Raid-De-Himalaya's on this vehicle and there was never a moment when the vehicle gave me a chance to doubt anything.

Coming to it's maintenance, it is simple to keep the Pajero happy. Just stick to regular oil and oil filter change and the engine will be good for over 3L Kms.

I personally have always changed the Oil and Oil Filter at every 5K kms without fail. I have now completed 80K and everything is in top shape. The company recommends 10K interval but I changed it at 5K. Your choice but it costs only Rs. 2500/- to change both the Oil and the Oil Filter. I use Mobil Super 10w30 mineral Oil (Rs. 980/Litre) + Genuine Mitsubishi Oil Filter for Rs. 750 each time. I have also used Motul 10w30 a couple of times and most recently I used AGIP i-SINT 5w30. The AGIP i-SINT is the best engine oil I have used so far. It makes the Pajero come alive and the low end vibration is completely gone. The gear changes happen quicker and the engine is much more smoother. See if you can get hold of the AGIP i-SINT 5w30. It is a synthetic + mineral blend and a little expensive but completely worth it. If you can't find AGIP then go with Mobil Super 1000 10w30 as that is also good.

Coming back to Oil filter, good Oil filters are also available from a company called Sakura and they cost less. Both the genuine as well as Sakura Oil filters are good.

One tip for the Oil Filter. You may need to buy a three pronged Oil Filter opener to open the Oil Filter. Something like this. http://www.globalsources.com/si/AS/A...1070645547.htm . I have one and it makes opening and fitting the filter a quick no nonsense job. It is available from any good tool shop for around Rs. 300.

Coming to the Diesel Filter. You will need to change it every 20K kilometers. It costs only Rs. 450/- and is a very easy job. Just spin off the old filter and then spin on the new one. Remember to change the small rubber O-Ring that comes with the new filter. After changing, just unscrew the drain plug at the top of the Diesel Filter assembly and pump the plunger on top till you get the Diesel flow out. This is to prime up the new Diesel filter so it is full.

One of the most important things and often neglected is the greasing of the Drive Shafts. The Pajero has two. One short drive shaft for front and one longer one for the rear. There are 4 grease nipples starting from the front where the shaft connects to the front Differential, second where the front shaft connects to the gearbox, the third nipple is just behind the gearbox where the rear shaft connects and the fourth is at the end where the shaft connects to the rear differential. This is to be done every 20K, but I usually do it at every 10K. Also if you do any off-roading, particularly any water fording, then you should get these greased immediately afterwards. Use a good quality grease from a reputed brand. You may want to invest in a manual hand greasing gun (About Rs. 200-300) and take that along to the mechanic so that he can do the greasing.

Another place to do greasing is the front top and bottom suspension ball joints and the tie-rod ends. The nipples are just behind the front wheels on top and below the suspension arms. These will dramatically increase the life of these components.

The Air Filter usually lasts about 20K and with regular cleaning (5K) it should last even more. It costs about Rs. 700 in case you need to change it.

One more thing that you should change at 60K or max 80K kilometers is the transmission oil. This is expensive and the only oil suitable is from Mobil. The exact oil is Mobil-1 75w90 (Full Synthetic) and unfortunately it is available only in 20 Litres cans. The can is around Rs.18K and available from the Mobil distributor in Faridabad. Just Google for Mobil Distributor and contact him. The Pajero uses 11 Litres of Transmission oil (Front Diff, Rear Diff, Gearbox and 4x4 Transfer Case). This oil is suitable for all 4. You will only need to change this once. It is practically forever. There is no need to change the transmission oil again for atleast next 2 Lacs kilometers. It is a very good investment and the only one that is expensive upfront.

The Pajero uses 3 fan belts and they are recommended to be changed at every 25K kilometers. The original set is available for around Rs. 1200/- and changing them is not difficult again. You could also use them till about 30-35K. I have changed them regularly but whenever I changed the old ones were in perfect condition, so I guess they could be used a bit more.

Brake pads usually last around 40K kilometers and good aftermarket ones cost only Rs. 2000/- for all four disk brakes. They are manufactured by a company called Roulunds. They have a manufacturing base in Sonepat of all places (Pun intended) http://roulunds-braking.eu/ and their pads are good.

It may also be a good time at 60K to change the coolant (4 Litres Castrol Can) for Rs. 750. The Pajero has 10 Litres of coolant capacity out of which 4 Litres should be coolant and 6 litres distilled water. The coolant drain plug is below the Radiator and is a small plastic tap. Just open it to let the coolant drain out and then close it. Put in the 4 litres of coolant and top it up with water.

Another thing is to get the Brake and Clutch oil replaced as well. Use any DOT 4 brake fluid. This is used for both brake and clutch and the procedure is pretty standard. The Clutch is a little tricky to bleed as there are two bleeding screws. You need to tell the mechanic that the master clutch cylinder needs to be bled first followed by the slave clutch cylinder. Fortunately both screws are located alongside. They are accessible from the left front side and are behind the front left wheel towards the chassis. They are plainly visible and the mechanic should have no trouble locating them.

Other small things that you may want to do.

Top-Up the Windshield wiper fluids both front and rear.

Check condition of Wipers. If you need to change then buy the original wipers from any Maruti Service Station. You will need 19 Inches from front and 16 Inches for rear. All three of them are for Rs. 750. Do not buy Bosch or other brands. I used them and they were completely useless. Buy from Maruti authorized spares shop.

Buy a Can of WD-40 and spray it on all door hinges and the rear door hinges. Also spray it on all locks and latches.

Check all bulbs and fuses and replace if necessary.

I think that does it for servicing the Pajero.

I usually spend around Rs. 3000/- every 5K kilometers and that keeps the vehicle in top shape. There are no electronics to take care of and that makes everything simple.

Last but not the least. Next time you fill up the tank, buy a bottle of System D from Bharat Petroleum Petrol Pumps (Diesel Additive and pour half a bottle in the fuel tank and then get it topped up with fuel). I did this recently and my Pajero regained all it's lost glory. I am simply amazed with the way the low end power got restored to what it was when it was new. It basically opens and cleans the fuel injectors and the diesel pump. Also any black smoke that may be present in the exhaust will disappear. My mileage also improved after using it for two times.

Well that's a lot of stuff , but don't get overwhelmed or worried. These are all the things you will ever need to check for and maintain. And these are never done all together. It is normally just the Oil, Oil Filter and Car Wash and you are done.

Regarding the tyres, I would go with Yokohama Geolanders if you anticipate any kind of off-roading at all. If you drive on Tarmac then Michelin is slightly better. However if you plan to do any bit of off-roading then you cannot beat Yokohama, the Michelin's Lattitude Cross are no good off the road.

Best of luck and feel free to reach out to me in case you need anything else.

Last edited by Traveler : 8th November 2015 at 00:46.
Traveler is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 13:06   #177

I have tried hard but could not find any way in which i could thank you for the invaluable information you have provided Traveler.

But I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the bunch of information you have provided.

1. Do you know any good mechanic shop for diesel vehicles in Delhi from where i could get the things done? Mechanic is very important therefore i have asked this question again?

2. The glass of the driver side brake light (the one on the rear bumper) is half broken. Kindly tell me Do i have to purchase the whole light or there is a way i could put only the glass? Any shop in delhi from where i could make the purchase?

3. Do you have faced any problems when the middle seat would have stucked or have only half folded?Actually my vehicle's passenger side middle seat is only folding half? Any idea?

4. The motor of both side mirrors though working but not making the mirror move. Any idea?

5. Also the tool box and its cover is broken. Can you suggest any alternative?

6. Middle seat reading lamp, passenger side reading lamp and driver side door lamp not working. I am sorry traveler but i am asking these silly question thinking you may be having any experience of any of these, which could possibly help me?

7. What may be the possible cost of used stepney cover?My vehicle don't have one

I am attaching the pictures of my vehicle.

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-1.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-2.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-3.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-4.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-5.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-6.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-7.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-8.jpg

Looking forward to have you look and test drive my vehicle personally some day Traveler.
Once again thank you Traveler from the bottom of my heart for all the valuable information you have provided so far.

Last edited by Road4X4Traveler : 8th November 2015 at 13:30.
Road4X4Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 23:23   #178
Senior - BHPian

Thats a very clean vehicle. Congrats on a very good buy. If you can go to Gurgaon then I can tell you the mechanic's address that i practically trained myself. He is quite good and thorough and knows all the procedures I mentioned earlier.

For the brake light lens you could contact spare parts shops in Kashmiri Gate area. Same for the spare tyre cover , although the Pajero looks better without it (My Opinion).

They rear seat has a button on top edge that you first pull up to fold the seat back. Once that is done try pulling up the whole seat from below and it should fold down into the foot space behind the front seats. If it does not move the the locks at the bottom are probably stuck. In that case try pulling up the lever on the side of the rear seat to see if you get the lock released. It is probably a stuck lever. Any denter should be able to help too.

No idea on the broken tool box and mirrors.

Lamps are very easy to replace. The lens comes off quite easily and the bulbs are the ordinary tube type filament bulbs. Any electrician should be able to change them in a jiffy.

Enjoy your new ride !!
Old 9th November 2015, 07:46   #179

Thank you Traveler. I hope it to be mechanically clean too. Only time will tell.

Your opinion regarding spare tyre cover is taken. As far as rear seat goes, i think the locks at the bottom are stuck.

As i am going to get the service done at 10K intervals I am ready to go to gurgaon if the mechanic is honest and thorough to all the procedures. Please tell me the address.

Any idea about RK Service Station at Chanakya Puri petrol pump.

Will ask you few more things when i will go for the service.
Old 9th November 2015, 10:27   #180
Senior - BHPian

The mechanic's name is Sharafat and his number is +919953769158. He has a small shop on the Sohna Road and Badshahpur crossing. Call him for directions. He is honest and knows the Pajero. I practically trained him for the Pajero servicing procedure and he knows all the stuff, including checking for front wheel bearings and greasing them if required. For washing etc you will have to go somewhere else. Take the oil and oil filter and any other parts along if you decicde to go to him. He is just a mechanic. He also has a denter friend alongwith him.

Last edited by Traveler : 9th November 2015 at 10:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks