Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2019, 08:44   #271
BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Thanks for your kind words. Glad that the i............. Those were the fully loaded versions and they were BS3 engines and had more power.
So the SFX launched 2008 onwards till early 2011 models were BS3 having the 118bhp engine and from mid 2011 till production ended were the 108 bhp BS4 engines??
Am I getting this right?

Also how were you able to get a hold of the factory service manual of the pajero?
Is it available as an off the shelf purchase at the ASC? or did you get it from somewhere else?

Last edited by iron : 29th August 2019 at 08:53.
Old 29th August 2019, 09:37   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
So the SFX launched 2008 onwards till early 2011 models were BS3 having the 118bhp engine and from mid 2011 till production ended were the 108 bhp BS4 engines??
Am I getting this right?

Also how were you able to get a hold of the factory service manual of the pajero?
Is it available as an off the shelf purchase at the ASC? or did you get it from somewhere else?
Yes you are correct. Mine was an April 2011 model and was BS3, the BS4 models were also introduced around the same time but were available only in cities that mandated BS4. Delhi definitely had BS4 engine as the only available option.

I purchased the manuals from the UK Pajero Owners Forum, http://www.pocuk.com/haynesmanuals.htm

Factory manuals I got from an Internet source who was selling them online. You will need to Google around for the same.

Last edited by Traveler : 29th August 2019 at 09:39.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 10:15   #273
Senior - BHPian

I have factory manual for engine only - 4D56 (91-93) and 4D56T (1994 and up) If anyone needs it then drop me your Email. Also have 4D56 Turbo adjustment guide.
Randhawa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 06:01   #274

Hello Traveller,

Went over your ownership thread for the Dark Horse. Must say enjoyed all of it and the amount of information that you have shared. Thanks. We have a 2009 model SFX that has not been driven much and now that I am retired beginning to drive around with it. Last month saw 10K on the odometer, about 88K now. Will look at your suggestions when needed and wish you all the very best for your new purchase. Has it happened? Ciao and take care.
jay140261 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 08:54   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay140261 View Post
Hello Traveller,

Went over your ownership thread for the Dark Horse. Must say enjoyed all of it and the amount of information that you have shared. Thanks. We have a 2009 model SFX that has not been driven much and now that I am retired beginning to drive around with it. Last month saw 10K on the odometer, about 88K now. Will look at your suggestions when needed and wish you all the very best for your new purchase. Has it happened? Ciao and take care.
Wish you all the best for your travels. I am glad that you found the information to be useful. Feel free to reach out to me in case of any questions. I may not have the legend with me now but I still cherish it.

I am still on the lookout for a small but capable SUV, perhaps the Auto Expo this year will reveal some good options.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 04:11   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
I have factory manual for engine only - 4D56 (91-93) and 4D56T (1994 and up) If anyone needs it then drop me your Email. Also have 4D56 Turbo adjustment guide.
Hi my email address is rottluff@gmail.com. Please do send me the manuals and the guide. Many thanks.

Quote:
Wish you all the best for your travels. I am glad that you found the information to be useful. Feel free to reach out to me in case of any questions. I may not have the legend with me now but I still cherish it.

I am still on the lookout for a small but capable SUV, perhaps the Auto Expo this year will reveal some good options.
Hi Traveller,

When I look for a Mobil Super 10w30 I find this on Amazon. Looks like prices have dropped even further since your purchases at 980/L. This is Rs1027 for 4 litres. Is this the same oil you were using?

Quote:
Hi Traveller,

When I look for a Mobil Super 10w30 I find this on Amazon. Looks like prices have dropped even further since your purchases at 980/L. This is Rs1027 for 4 litres. Is this the same oil you were using?
https://www.amazon.in/Mobil-Super-10...=Bajaj%3ASuper

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th January 2020 at 08:24. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 8th January 2020, 09:35   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi my email address is rottluff@gmail.com. Please do send me the manuals and the guide. Many thanks.

Hi Traveller,

https://www.amazon.in/Mobil-Super-10W-30-Extra-Performance/dp/B07XP835ZP/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Mobil+Super+10w30&qid=15784358 94&replacementKeywords=mobil+10w30&s=automotive&sr =1-1&vehicle=Bajaj%3ASuper
I used Mobil Super for the first 50k of the vehicle. Later I shifted to Agip ENi 5w30 oil which was even better.

The Mobil 10w30 used to be around 1200 for around 6.5 liters.

Only the Mobil1 75w90 used in the transmission was expensive at around 900 per Liter since it was fully synthetic.

For engine oil you can use the Mobil Super 10w30 or Agip ENI 5w30 or you can use Shell Rimula.

Shell Rimula T5 E 10W30 Diesel Engine Oil (15 L) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01F34HBZ4/..._pkvfEb6SK9TA0

The Shell Rimula is the very best that you can buy.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 02:41. Reason: excess spacing in quoted post
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 00:17   #278
Senior - BHPian

Any help in sourcing the rear spare tyre cover in Delhi?
Old 28th February 2020, 00:57   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Any help in sourcing the rear spare tyre cover in Delhi?
That's nearly impossible unless you find an old one somewhere at Mayapuri.

Try AliExpress, you should be able to get it from there too.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 13:12   #280
BHPian

Hi Traveller,

amazing bit of information and excellent review. thanks a lot must have read it at least 2/3 times. was contemplating to buy a pajero, wanted your opinion on the same, also what are the drawbacks in the current time to own one.

I understand that all might not be maintained up to your standard's and would have to shell out some amount to make it reliable and hassle free and prepared to spend the time and energy on the same.

your advise would be most help full in coming to a decision.
Old 22nd August 2020, 16:07   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvluv View Post
Hi Traveller,

amazing bit of information and excellent review. thanks a lot must have read it at least 2/3 times. was contemplating to buy a pajero, wanted your opinion on the same, also what are the drawbacks in the current time to own one.

I understand that all might not be maintained up to your standard's and would have to shell out some amount to make it reliable and hassle free and prepared to spend the time and energy on the same.

your advise would be most help full in coming to a decision.
Maintaining the Pajero SFX is a time consuming affair. You need to be mechanically inclined and ready to dirty your hands.

Its not expensive to maintain though if you know where to get the spares from and have a good FNG.

Regarding the drawbacks there are a few of them.

1. Its an old school vehicle, so there are vibrations from the engine and transmission. You need to drive it fast above 1800 rpm to enjoy it. Its not a vehicle that is comfortable within crowded cities. You will constantly need to shift between 2nd and 3rd gear.

2. Top speed is limited from today's standards. Its best at 90 kmph, any more you will start stressing the engine and fuel economy takes a hit. It can go upto 160 kmph and remains steady as a rock.

3. Within city you will get 8 kmpl. On highway max of 10 kmpl.

4. No cubby holes to keep knick knacks. No bottle holders in doors etc.

5 Some parts are impossible to get, especially interior and exterior trim parts.

6. OEM parts can be imported but are very expensive, otherwise you will get good quality after market spares for all mechanical and service parts.

7. Absolutely no electronic gizmos. Everything is solid mechanical. This is a big advantage when offloading and the reliability is legendary. Some people may miss the modern driving aids and huge touchscreens.

Having said that, its a hoot to drive and people respect it and get out of your way, sometimes even Traffic Police folks just wave you through and don't stop you

It can go anywhere you can think of and even where you cannot imagine.

The usual service cost with oil and oil filter change, air filter cleaning, wash and vacuum costs under 5k. You will need to get it done at every 5k kms though. Atleasrt I always got it serviced at 5k kms.

Supremely comfortable for short or long drives. Very easy to steer and control.
Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 17:15   #282
BHPian

Thanks for the quick revert and taking the time to answer in detail and for a neutral review. A few follow up questions if I may bother you a bit more.

Quote:
Maintaining the Pajero SFX is a time consuming affair. You need to be mechanically inclined and ready to dirty your hands. is this regarding the regular service or generally since its going to be old vehicle and prone to parts failure. my though was to get a vehicle and have the suspension and all bushing etc completely redone similar to what you had done and also any other things needing taking care.
I understand your other points and should be okay with them. I am looking for a good reliable long distance tourer and have always been a fan to the pajero butch old school looks.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd August 2020 at 17:29. Reason: Fixed broken quote, please capitalise wherever necessary. Thanks.
Old 22nd August 2020, 17:30   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick revert and taking the time to answer in detail and for a neutral review. a few follow up questions if i may bother you a bit more.
The normal service is a 1 hour job and very simple to do. There is nothing complicated in it at all.

The engine and gearbox are also bulletproof and a well maintained car should last over 3 L kms without any issues. This ofcourse depends on if it has been maintained properly throughout.

The issue is with clutch and suspension components. The clutch for example lasts around 1L kms easily and when you have to change it it should be done using only the original Japanese cluch set. This set is around 40k plus labour of approx 5k.

Suspension will normally last a very long time , 1 to 2L plus easily, but unfortunately I could not source the original Japanese bushes. The next best option is to use bushes from RBI as mentioned in my thread earlier.

Shock absorbers also are not available and the third party ones are useless. I had to change them to Old Man Emu shocks.

I ended up replacing the clutch and shock absorbers twice because of this.

Parts that are impossible to find are switches, door beadings, plastic bits on the inside and outside, fog lights etc.

Rest the car is solid and will not let you down ever. The original parts quality is so good that nothing breaks down. The issue is when the parts get worn out due to high mileage and need replacement.

I must warn you though that finding a well kept Pajero SFX is very difficult and all of the above holds true only if the vehicle has been maintained properly. The odometer is usually tampered on these cars so be very careful. Also check the complete body shell for any accident repairs .

The key is to find a well maintained and genuine car, then you can actually enjoy this vehicle otherwise it will be a headache.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd August 2020 at 21:59. Reason: Quote fixed.
Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 20:05   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a good reliable long distance tourer and have always been a fan to the pajero butch old school looks.
Do note, however, that if you are a fast driver and prefer to reach your destination in the least possible time, you will be disappointed by the highway performance of the SFX! As Traveler mentioned, the SFX loves to cruise at ~90 kph. I personally have realized that the SFX's sweet spot is 85-95 kph, which is what my cruising range is, for most of my long distance drives. At these speeds, the car can just go on and on with minimal cabin noise and optimal fuel economy! At cruising speeds above 100 kph, you can clearly sense the strain on the engine, as it touches 2800-3000 rpm - the cabin gets noisier and fuel economy takes a BIG hit. This is primarily due to the off-road biased gearing of the car, which is the Pajero's forte

If you prefer higher cruising speeds, do look elsewhere - maybe a (pre-owned) Fortuner or Endeavour. Just my 2 cents, since you specifically mentioned this use case

PS - @Traveler, my apologies for butting in

PPS - @nvluv, just FYI - I did a cross-country drive covering 7000-plus km last year in the SFX and it was a breeze. This is because my driving style aligns very well with the SFX's behavior.

Last edited by cool_dube : 25th August 2020 at 20:27.
cool_dube is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 19:35   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The normal service is a 1 hour job and very simple to do. There is nothing complicated in it at all.
Hi Traveler,

Need some help for a friend, any garage that you recommend since you had mentioned Miles experience was not great at latter part. Also just wanted to confirm the oil list you had shared (attached). This can be used for a 2005 vehicle right?

recommendations.pdf

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed