Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 17:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold

Thanks to everyone for the congratulations. I am really overwhelmed by your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Kindly try to do something about the locks. Get something fool proof installed.
Seems Pajero's are very easy to steal thanks to the outdated lock mechanism.

And Pajero's are favorite amongst the thieves.

Congrats on your buy. You have bought a beautiful classic.

OT: I like Red and cream combo more. You did not like it?
We had considered the Flame color, but dropped it at the last moment, it is too flashy for me although my son and wife were pretty much game for it.

Can you suggest any good anti-theft system. I talked to Minda, Autocop and a couple of other vendors. None of them have a Gear Lock for the Pajero. Apparently they have not made the mounting plates for this vehicle.

The system nevertheless has a central locking by Nippon. Don't know how good that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
One of the most honest reviews I ever read. Congratulations traveller for your brand new Pajero. You have bought a monster; this car is a head turner despite its age.Please add some more pics of the engine bay and interiors and keep the thread updated regularly.

As download2live has suggested make sure about the security of the car as this car is thief's favorite.

BTW Why didn’t you consider Chevy Captiva?
AFAIK the Captiva does not have a 4x4 Low Ratio. I had used the Safari's 4x4 Low extensively on my Raid-De-Himalaya official duties last year and made it a point that my future SUV will definitely have this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Fantastic Traveler ! Congratulations.

Pajero was my first like/love/desire/lust and desparately wanted it till, for the very same reasons you mentioned, I went in for the TFort.

But have a huge soft corner for the mountain cat (the origin of the word Pajero - Leopardus pajeros, the Pampas Cat. Don't even bother asking me the slang meaning in Spanish - you'll blush ! That's why they named the SUV which evolved from the Cat as Monteiro or Mountain Warrior). Would love to continue reading about your progress with the Cat !

Sure TFort has its charms but I am sure the Cat would also have its own in equal measure.

Nice write up and snaps !

Keep them coming -I for one, would have my eyes peeled for updates on your thread.

What have you named your Pajero ?
Any suggestions for the name ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Congrats on the Pajero, a true blood SUV. Wishing you many happy miles with it.

Please get a security system installed, from what I can gather, the Pajero does not have an immobilizer and hence an easy target for thieves.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ero-theft.html

What was the OTR price? And do post some close up pics of the interiors/dashboard.
I have not been able to locate a security system till now. Please suggest if you know about some product. The Pajero already has a Nippon Two channel central locking with remote system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Welcome to the Pajero Club !! PB 65 hmmmm CSD quota ? Just curious - did you get a couple of lacs off the sticker price ? Brilliant vehicle, you will love it more with each drive. Congratulations on the purchase of a True Blue 4x4 old school yet very comfortable & competent !!

Cheers
Thanks Ricky, your experience and feedback on your Pajero was a definite motivation for us. It definitely feels, behaves and looks like a True Blue SUV. Also the number is a Temporary number allocated by the dealer.

Last edited by Traveler : 14th April 2011 at 17:55.
Old 14th April 2011, 18:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Ricky Jee,how did you come upon with the CSD quota thing?
PB65 is Mohali's registration number,i dont think,one can make out with that temp number,if it has been purchased through CSD.

Sorry ji just so happens that quite a few Faujis I know got their vehicles thru CSD (obviously) and most if not all came from Punjab, the latest one being a Skoda Laura that a friend just bought, hence the querry !!

@Traveler
Many thanks for the kind words. I can already see another hard core Pajero fan in the making !! Glad to be of any help..enjoy the SUV !!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 14th April 2011 at 18:22.
Old 14th April 2011, 18:27   #18
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase, the Pajero is a fasntastic SUV, couple of months back a friend of mine wanted to buy a SUV, he tried the Fortuner, same as you din't like it, I was with him when we tried the Pajero and Outlander, it's only when you drive both back to back, the Outlander shines in comfort from all angles, my friend was more inclined towards comfort hence ended up picking up the Outlander, in my view both the SUV's are good, but the when comfort is the primary concern nothing comes close to the Outlander, but the Outlander may not have the go any where capabilities of the Pajero.
Old 14th April 2011, 18:58   #19
BANNED

Congrats on buying one of the most legendary SUVs in the world even today.

There are actually very few vehicles which will outlive the Pajero. I realised this when I had gone to see the Ricky's older Pajero which I could not afford due to the bank not able to loan it out due to its age.

This vehicle is built to last, a lifetime, easily.

I had a few questions:

1. How is its initial pickup compared to your Safari?
2. How is the middle row legroom and recline compared to your Safari?
3. What is the price break up and the discounts you got?
4. What are its service intervals and warranty like?

Coming to naming it, I would think of an Indian name to it. Something like "Pratap" for example. Yeah, I m kinda rustic.
Old 14th April 2011, 19:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Congrats on buying one of the most legendary SUVs in the world even today.

There are actually very few vehicles which will outlive the Pajero. I realised this when I had gone to see the Ricky's older Pajero which I could not afford due to the bank not able to loan it out due to its age.

This vehicle is built to last, a lifetime, easily.

I had a few questions:

1. How is its initial pickup compared to your Safari?
2. How is the middle row legroom and recline compared to your Safari?
3. What is the price break up and the discounts you got?
4. What are its service intervals and warranty like?

Coming to naming it, I would think of an Indian name to it. Something like "Pratap" for example. Yeah, I m kinda rustic.
1. Initial Pickup is less then the Safari, but I think it will reach the 60 and 80 marks at the same time or perhaps a little earlier. The first two gears are short and it is the third and fourth where it really shines.

2. No doubt the middle seats are less spacious than the safari. Although knees do not scrape even with the front seats pushed back all the way. Also middle seat is good only for two due to the seat layout. It is actually two extra large seats with side armrests. The Safari had a huge flat bench which could seat 3 or even 4 people.

3. 20.35 L ex showroom, 1.62 L for Road Tax, 42K for Bumper to Bumper Insurance and 5K for Registration Charges. I don't want to add up the figures, it scares me , got a meager 15K discount.

4. Standard 12 months or 20,000 Kms whichever occurs earlier. Extended warranty can be purchased for a similar term for 11K.

5. Service interval is 1K initial and then every 10K kms. I brisked through the service schedule and it looks like it is just Oil and Oil filter change till the first 40K kilometers or first two years.
Old 14th April 2011, 20:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Any suggestions for the name ?
Would you like to do a Pajero on Mitsu ? Call it the Mountain Cat and lovingly refer to it as The Cat ? Male of course !

Quote:
Sorry ji just so happens that quite a few Faujis I know got their vehicles thru CSD (obviously) and most if not all came from Punjab, the latest one being a Skoda Laura that a friend just bought, hence the querry !!

@Traveler
Many thanks for the kind words. I can already see another hard core Pajero fan in the making !! Glad to be of any help..enjoy the SUV !!

Cheers
Hi Ricky, Since you've been a long time Pajero owner and when I was looking at the P before the TF and didn't get a clear answer - how is the Pajero/Mitsu/HM service quality ? Haven't heard anything about it !

Sorry Traveler if I seem to be hijacking your ownership thread !

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th April 2011 at 22:45. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 21:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Ricky, Since you've been a long time Pajero owner and when I was looking at the P before the TF and didn't get a clear answer - how is the Pajero/Mitsu/HM service quality ? Haven't heard anything about it !

Sorry Traveler if I seem to be hijacking your ownership thread !

Comparing the A.S.S. of the two would be like an apple against an orange. There is far better support in terms of number of workshops & governance of the same in case of the TOYOTA network. Mitsu has far fewer dealerships & A.S.S. points in comparison.

BUT having said that, there are enough competent garages who can look after the Pajero very competently & relatively inexpensively. Thanks to it's less complicated engine & mechanicals, and abundantly available spares.

This should suffice, lest Traveler gives us both a piece of his mind for the rant of P vs T LOL

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 14th April 2011 at 21:33.
Old 14th April 2011, 21:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Comparing the A.S.S. of the two would be like an apple against an orange. There is far better support in terms of number of workshops & governance of the same in case of the TOYOTA network. Mitsu has far fewer dealerships & A.S.S. points in comparison.

BUT having said that, there are enough competent garages who can look after the Pajero very competently & relatively inexpensively. Thanks to it's less complicated engine & mechanicals, and abundantly available spares.

This should suffice, lest Traveler gives us both a piece of his mind for the rant of P vs T LOL
Cheers
Hi Ricky,
Thank you very much. No it's not a P vs TF rant. Just curious.
And now back to Traveler in the studio/s !
Old 14th April 2011, 21:42   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Traveler!! Pajero without any doubts has one of the finest Ride and Handling balance for a Chassis based SUV, a quality which elevates it to league above Fortuner/Endeavour. The 4WD system again is superb with the ability to select 2wd or AWD for road usage, Rear LSD is another advantage over Fortuner.

Low gearing takes care of lack of power(Compared to Fortuner/Endy), only when revving hard on open roads the power handicap shows. Pajero just like it's other Chassis based competitors is built to last for decades. To me the looks are timeless, Classic. Good pick i'd say if you don't mind the lower power output.

How about upgrading the rubber to A/T? I guess Pajero still comes with MRF tires, i recommend Yokohama Geolander A/T.

Last edited by .anshuman : 15th April 2011 at 01:28. Reason: typo
Old 14th April 2011, 23:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congrats traveller on the Pajero. The Pajero is indeed a wonder and a very capable vehicle. Infact I too was actively on the hunt for one (pre-owned) around the same time last year and the reason I wanted to go for the Pajero are the two points that you've already mentioned
Quote:
4. Proven mechanicals
5. Utterly reliable

Plus I feel that the Pajero is one of the few OLD SCHOOL SUV's. It has a classic yet a very modern appeal, in my opinion.
I am not sure, maybe you could enlighten me but last I heard that they were offering some big discounts on the Pajero. Now that you've got only 15k, I guess what I heard must have been just rumors.
Cheers mate
Old 15th April 2011, 01:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

With the Pajero, you know you truly followed your heart!
Your review too comes straight from the heart and is honest and unbiased.
There is something about the Pajero, there definately is. That's why even though it's over a decade old. It is still on sale and sells too.
And what you say about it being more mechanically inclined rather than having too much tech does work in it's favour too as far as reliability is concerned.
Isn't it great that your wife can drive it too, and finds it close to her zen. Like your colour choice too.
Wishing you many miles of joyful motoring with her.
Just curious are there any offers or deals going on the Pajero?
Old 15th April 2011, 03:08   #27
BHPian

Congrats Traveler. Your thread made me go to the Paj website and scan its brochure and yes, its just a casual visit not a financial one.

Except the massive price diff - whats your opinion (read safari vs Pajero) about the following:
1. Handling (Body roll, suspension etc)
2. 4x4 system (which ones better and why)
3. Comfort / ergonomics (Under thigh support, mid-row & 3rd row support)
4. Carrying 6 people (Any complains yet?)
5. A.S.S cost / experience (Paj is just out of the box)
Old 15th April 2011, 08:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Traveler on the ageless Classic!

Like many of us here, I also grew up reading about capabilities of the Pajero and am sure you will enjoy the brute.

Just a few queries though:
  1. Since you do Raid De Himalaya duty, are you planning any mods like winch, underbody plating et al
  2. Don't you think in this day and age, a standard 1 year/ 20k Kms warranty is a little too less? Especially for a 20L vehicle

Wishing you many miles of happiness in your mountain cat!
Old 15th April 2011, 09:18   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the new ride, the Paj is a true blood SUV in every sense and mechanically simple (which you don't find many nowadays). A well engineered car in every aspect.
Only problem being weak top end (heck!,who uses it everytime in India?) and the high price(in relative to the car's age)
Old 15th April 2011, 13:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Congratulations Traveler!! Pajero without any doubts has one of the finest Ride and Handling balance for a Chassis based SUV, a quality which elevates it to league above Fortuner/Endeavour. The 4WD system again is superb with the ability to select 2wd or AWD for road usage, Rear LSD is another advantage over Fortuner.

Low gearing takes care of lack of power(Compared to Fortuner/Endy), only when revving hard on open roads the power handicap shows. Pajero just like it's other Chassis based competitors is built to last for decades. To me the looks are timeless, Classic. Good pick i'd say if you don't mind the lower power output.

How about upgrading the rubber to A/T? I guess Pajero still comes with MRF tires, i recommend Yokohama Geolander A/T.
Thanks Anshuman, I agree with you on all the things you mentioned. I guess the vehicle has been designed ground up for being an SUV. That reflects pretty much in everything the Pajero offers. There are small things like the Rear Tow Hook, front seats converting to complete flat beds, the inspection light with a 3 metre cord in the boot, the in-built tool box. There are so many small but very thought out things that shows that it was meant to be an SUV. Even the power antenna has a manual override switch which lets you extend it fully or retract it to half height. This ensures that the antenna is not damaged when driving fast over rough terrain.

Am looking at upgrading tyres to AT's , options are very limited because of the 15 inch alloys and the very wide track (265).

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Congrats traveller on the Pajero. The Pajero is indeed a wonder and a very capable vehicle. Infact I too was actively on the hunt for one (pre-owned) around the same time last year and the reason I wanted to go for the Pajero are the two points that you've already mentioned

Plus I feel that the Pajero is one of the few OLD SCHOOL SUV's. It has a classic yet a very modern appeal, in my opinion.
I am not sure, maybe you could enlighten me but last I heard that they were offering some big discounts on the Pajero. Now that you've got only 15k, I guess what I heard must have been just rumors.
Cheers mate
Thanks Harjeev, the max discounts are 15K atleast in this part of the country. Till last month they were offering free extended warranty as well, but I missed the bus. I bought extended warranty yesterday for an additional 11K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Congrats Traveler. Your thread made me go to the Paj website and scan its brochure and yes, its just a casual visit not a financial one.

Except the massive price diff - whats your opinion (read safari vs Pajero) about the following:
1. Handling (Body roll, suspension etc)
2. 4x4 system (which ones better and why)
3. Comfort / ergonomics (Under thigh support, mid-row & 3rd row support)
4. Carrying 6 people (Any complains yet?)
5. A.S.S cost / experience (Paj is just out of the box)
There is a world of difference in every aspect. The Safari is a very capable SUV no doubt, but it needs attention (maintenance). My Safari served me well with no problem but then I took care of it like a baby. There were small niggling issues that kept cropping up. Nothing that would bring it to a stop, but enough to keep you bothered if you are like me and believe in everything to be always spick and span.

1. Pajero has much less body roll, it almost drives like a car. Fantastic suspension, feels well planted and goes over everything without any sort of unsettling feeling. The Safari on the other hand has considerable body roll and it takes a lot of time to master it's handling. I never used to feel confident on the highway at speeds greater that 90 on the Safari.

Brakes on the Safari have good bite but the vehicle (atleast mine) had a tendency to pull towards one side on hard braking. Few other BHPians have reported the same issue as well.

2. Pajero's 4x4 system has 5 options.

A. 2H - Normal 4x2 operation for daily city use, reduced fuel consumption.
B. 4H - With Open Center Diff - Like a AWD and can drive on tarmac.
C. 4HLC - 4x4 High Mode with Center Diff locked.
D. 4HLL - 4x4 Low Mode with Center Diff locked.
E. N - Neutral. No power is transmitted to wheels. Used for a PTO winch in case you install one.

Out of these the Safari does not have 4H and the N option since it lacks a center Diff. So a Safari cannot be driven on tarmac in 4x4 mode. This is required if you have patches of slippery curvy roads which you are going over at high speeds.

Plus I have noticed that the Pajero's 4x4 operation in terms of changing 4x4 modes is much smoother and of-course it is mechanically engaged with a lever. Safari had an electronic transfer case.

Safari's 4x4 is limited to offroad use and has speed limitation of 40kmpl in 4 Low and I guess 80Kmpl in 4 High.

Pajero's 4x4 is limited to 100 Kmpl in 4x4 High, dont know about the 4x4 Low speed limitation.

3. Like I mentioned earlier, the Safari has no doubt got more space. The Pajero is compacter but in my opinion has better designed seats. For example the front seats have a side adjustment option where the seat wings can be adjusted to either hug you closely or loosen out. The third row has front facing seats and are much better at taking care of small adults or children, all the the seats recline too.

4. Haven't pushed in 6 people yet, so cannot comment.

5. I spent close to 40K on my Safari in the two years that I had it. I had driven only 15K in two years. But I had got it serviced atleast 5 times instead of the only 2 required. I had a Diesel Sedimentor failure at 5K and paid 5K to replace it, a clutch master cylinder failure that was changed under warranty. Tie Rods that were changed under warranty too. They could never fix the brake grinding noise issue inspite of me paying for brake cleaning at almost each service. Neither could they fix the water rain water dripping from behind the dashboard. The hub caps kept falling off and I got atleast 4 of them for around Rs 300/- each. No other failures. Rest everything was service cost since I got all the oils changed at each service and also the coolant twice (Before and After the Raid). I faced ZERO problems in the entire Raid.

For the Pajero, I have no experience with A.S.S. yet, so cannot comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Congrats Traveler on the ageless Classic!

Like many of us here, I also grew up reading about capabilities of the Pajero and am sure you will enjoy the brute.

Just a few queries though:
  1. Since you do Raid De Himalaya duty, are you planning any mods like winch, underbody plating et al
  2. Don't you think in this day and age, a standard 1 year/ 20k Kms warranty is a little too less? Especially for a 20L vehicle
Wishing you many miles of happiness in your mountain cat!
Thanks MileCruncher,

1. I think I will go in for a front bumper change to accommodate a winch before this years Raid. The fuel tank and transfer case is already protected with plating. Rest if you drive carefully the Raid does not harm your vehicle, it is only when you try to imitate the competitors does it take it's toll.

2. Guess it is less, but I took the extended warranty and then there is the proven fact that Pajeros keep on going forever.

Also checked the spare part list for some common items and the prices are high but not astronomical. Steering Tie rod ends cost around 5K for a set. Clutch assembly is around 15K so I guess that should be okay.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks