Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2018, 22:05   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold

Updating this thread after an year (Two days short to be exact). There were a couple of reasons, first I moved to Bangalore and had very little time due to settling in and a plethora of other stuff to set things up, secondly the Pajero gave me no reason to complain and I really did not have any significant update to report. It is still chugging along quite strongly.

It is almost 7 years now (Bought in April 2011) and it has been quite a journey so far. Have driven the Pajero right across India, from Leh to Bangalore and everything in-between. It has never let me down and it's demands have been frugal.

Apart from a mandatory Oil and Oil Filter change every 5K Kms, I really haven't done anything for the Pajero over the last 7 years. Yes, there were some replacements for the Brake Pads and some suspension bushes, but apart from that, nothing.

It just keeps going on an on without complaining.

However at the beginning of this year, I thought it was probably time to have things checked. So I got a complete inspection done at Milestone Garage and Matthew and me went over everything. Underchassis, Overchassis, Engine, Brakes etc. Nothing was found to be out of shape . So after 7 years and the ODO at 98K I was pleasantly surprised to see how well the Pajero had held up.

Having said that, I did feel that there was some driveline / transmission judder between 1200-1500 Rpm in first and second gears. This had been present for quite some time but was getting worse lately. A through test drive later we figured it was either the Clutch or the Shaft Universal Joints. Although both looked okay and there was no clutch slipping and no play in the shafts we had no other explanation.

So I came back and spent the next couple of weeks pondering over the source of the vibration. Read many forums and posted queries at a couple of places too. However it soon became apparent that Pajero's do have some vibration in the drivetrains and if it is bad you could get the clutch and shaft inspected. So we were back to square one!

I was also nearing the 1L mark and I finally thought that this would be a good time to give the Pajero a new lease of life. That's how I decided to get it refreshed.

So here's the refresh update now.

The vehicle was delivered to Matthew at Milestone Garage, Hennur Road on 1st Feb 2018 with the ODO at 98821. The agenda was to start with the replacement of Clutch and then look at other things.

So over the next couple of days, the transmission was removed and inspected. The clutch still had reasonable amount of material and the pressure plate was also ok. The flywheel had some spots but otherwise ran true (Checked on a lathe) with no burns or ruts. The Torsion springs in the Clutch plate were pretty loose and rattling (Most Probable Cause of the Judder).

Sourcing the clutch was a little of an adventure. The Stealerships won't sell the parts as we all know, so I decided to source the parts myself. Starting with the clutch which I sourced directly as a full kit (Clutch Disc, Clutch Cover and the Release Bearing) directly from Exedy. Thanks to their cooperation and help I had a spanking new, sealed and original Japanese Kit at my home. The Kit is MBK012 from Exedy, in case someone needs the part number.

The overhauling bug was now finally hitting me and I decided to go full steam ahead now. Leaving nothing out. So here is the next list of things I decided to replace... Mind you this was a pure preventive job, all components were well within service limits, but I decided to go ahead and replace things. The objective being to have a trouble free drive for the next 1 L kms

Full Steering assembly :- Pitman and Idler Arms, Ball joints, Tie Rod Ends, Shockers and of course the bushes.

Full Brake assembly :- Got new Brembo Discs, front and rear along with Brembo Pads. (From GOA), Thanks to Amit Naik the dealer for Brembo in Goa, he is a fantastic person with impeccable service and communication. He even agreed to replace the rear discs as they got damaged in transit. No questions asked.

Full Shaft Overhaul: New Universal Joints for both front and rear shafts.

Full Rear Suspension: All bushes, Shockers and even the rear arm bushes.

All Engine and Gearbox Mountings.

All Shockers: Kayaba OEM Shocks, Gas Charged, just like the OEM's.

All other parts were sourced from my trusted dealer in Chandigarh and air lifted to Bangalore. They just arrived today. All these are parts from OEM suppliers to Mitsubishi. Manufactures like 555, GMB, RBI etc. Google them up if you want to know more..

All the Oil's were sourced through a close contact and I had the required Oil (Engine and Transmission) delivered to me at home. Same for Oil and Fuel Filters and Fan belts. I use AGIP ENI 5w30 for Engine and 75w90 Motul for Transmission.

Full suspension bushings were sourced through my brother in UK and I got a full set of thermoplastic polyurethane polyester bushes for the vehicle. These are apparently much more robust and stronger than rubber. Also got the front wheel bearings and seals in the same go. Look at http://www.milneroffroad.com for more details.

I also got a Sump Plug Bolt from the same source in UK, the original one has worn off after so many oil changes over the years. Probably over 20 Oil changes over the last 98K kilometers.

So what started out as a clutch replacement turned out to be full preventive maintenance refresh for my Pajero. There are many other small things that I am sure will get added to this list.

However I must say, there is nothing quite like a Pajero on the roads even today. There is not one single vehicle that has a comparable ride quality, go anywhere capability and rock solid reliability even on the other side of 30L.

I am sure the mighty Pajero will serve me well for many more years to come.

Leaving you all with some pictures.... Enjoy...

My refresh starts tomorrow and I hope I will be back on the road early next week. Stay tuned...

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20180201_110115.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20180205_131832.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20180205_131842.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20180205_141929.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20180205_141944.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20180205_142002.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20180205_142008.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20180205_142012.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20180205_142021.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20180205_142030.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20180209_190734.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-img20180205wa0004.jpg
Traveler is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 23:03   #197
GT3
BHPian

Just out of curiosity how much will the parts and labour going to cost you. It would be financially wise if you change the parts when the reach the end of their life instead of changing it all in one go.
Old 9th February 2018, 23:30   #198
Senior - BHPian

With my ODO at almost a lac, the service life for components would be at the end or near it anyway. I am expecting everything to come around 1.5L. The reason I am changing all in one go is to make sure I don't need to visit the Garage again for a reasonably good time. This is the first time in 7 years that my vehicle has spent more then a few hours at a garage and I would like it to keep it that way.

This is how the maintenance and running cost looks like after 6 years and 10 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-1518199969121.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th February 2018 at 15:15. Reason: back to back posts
Traveler is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 14:24   #199

Hi Traveler,

I think you have missed the timing belt replacement in the list of work you have provided. It along with the clutch work is recommended for Pajero at 1 lakh k.m I guess.

Also can you please send me the Battery specification for pajero as i am going in for a battery replacement soon.
Old 12th February 2018, 15:56   #200
Senior - BHPian

The 4m40 engine does not have a timing belt. It has a chain that lasts forever . I think the battery is a 85AH battery. I got a Amaron one almost 5 years back and its still going strong. Its listed here http://www.batterywale.com/batterywa...galore/Amaron/
Old 13th February 2018, 17:13   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
The 4m40 engine does not have a timing belt. It has a chain that lasts forever . I think the battery is a 85AH battery. I got a Amaron one almost 5 years back and its still going strong. Its listed here http://www.batterywale.com/batterywa...galore/Amaron/
Oh I am sorry, i meant the timing chain.

Are you sure that the timing chain lasts forever? as i have been advised by the mitsubishi workshop in delhi that it needs to be replaced at a lakh k.m
Road4X4Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 07:20   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
With my ODO at almost a lac, the service life for components would be at the end or near it anyway. I am expecting everything to come around 1.5L. The reason I am changing all in one go is to make sure I don't need to visit the Garage again for a reasonably good time. This is the first time in 7 years that my vehicle has spent more then a few hours at a garage and I would like it to keep it that way.

This is how the maintenance and running cost looks like after 6 years and 10 months.
Hi Traveler,

Which Android app are you using to maintain the logs? It seems really nice with all the break-up of costs.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 14th February 2018, 10:24   #203
Senior - BHPian

The App is called acar and is available on playstore. I have been using it since 2011 and it works just fine.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 13:19   #204
Senior - BHPian

Some quick updates about my overhauling exercise.

The complete front end suspension, steering, bearings and brakes are now back up on the chassis.

The new clutch kit with new USB joints for both front and rear propeller shafts are also done. The clutch bell housing is back on the vehicle.

Everything is just loosely assembled at this point and every bolt will be torqued to specific torque as specified by Mitsubishi.

Once the front end is firmly up and tightened we will move to the rear suspension and brakes.

Hopefully we will be ready by the weekend and then we need to do a long test drive. Can't wait for it to be back on the road.

Some pictures for your viewing pleasure....
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-1519112941333.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-1519112954695.jpg  

Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2018, 22:09   #205

Hi Traveler,

It seems that you missed my query.

Since my vehicle is soon going to cross the 1lakh KM mark. I again put my query that, Are you sure that the timing chain lasts forever? If it is so, i will not change mine as well in contrast to what the Mitsubishi guys are recommending.

Also, is Motul good for differential and gear, as it is used by Mitsubishi service centre in Delhi because it has got the required grade available for differential and gears?

Last edited by aah78 : 28th February 2018 at 23:28. Reason: Post fixed.
Old 26th February 2018, 00:15   #206
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I am pretty sure that timing chain is not required to be changed. It was required to be changed on models prior to 1995. I confirmed it from the Australian Pajero Forum. Just Google for it and you will find the thread. In any case I am not changing it as there is no issue like black smoke, hard starting that takes longer than a couple of cranks and no decrease in mileage. These are the symptoms of a timing chain going loose. Also there is a constant chain noise in those cases.

If you have changed your engine oil regularly I don't see any reason warranting a timing chain replacement. I change engine oil at every 5K.

Motul is available in 75w30 and its a reputed brand. I had used Mobil 1 75w90 earlier but that is very hard to find and available only in 20 liters can. I intend to change gear and differential oils regularly now so Motul should be good to last around 20 to 30K.

I was surprised to find the Mobil 1 75w90 that I had put in earlier to be totally black when we drained it a couple of days back. This within 30K kms when they claim that it lasts 1 Lac kms. In my opinion it is better to change the oil frequently so I decided to go with Motul. Motul is also compatible with both GL4 and GL5 which is needed for the Pajero.

The Dark Horse is almost back on its feet. Hoping to get it back home tomorrow. I did a very small test drive on Friday and the drive has completely changed. There is zero vibration no matter what gear and what rpm you are in.

I was pleasantly surprised and had not expected this dramatic a change. Even when starting there was no shake from the engine.

I guess the engine mounts replacement helped that bit. The older ones that we took out looked okay to me and had no cracks etc, but the mechanic did say that they had become hard.

Some more pictures of the rebuild...

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-1519584849664.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-1519584868880.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-1519584880845.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-1519584893247.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-1519584909609.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 28th February 2018 at 23:29. Reason: Posts merged. Images inserted in-line.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 22:47   #207

Thanks Traveler,

Can you please provide the break up of the cost of the overhaul.
Also, how did you managed to get the 555 steering components, Are there dealers available in India?
Old 28th February 2018, 20:37   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road4X4Traveler View Post
It seems that you missed my query.

Since my vehicle is soon going to cross the 1lakh KM mark. I again put my query that, Are you sure that the timing chain lasts forever? If it is so, i will not change mine as well in contrast to what the mitsubishi guys are recommending.
Dear road4x4 traveler,

I would strongly suggest you change the timing assembly. My sisters 2010 SFX timing chain ate itself up and i can assure you that it was not pretty. The entire genuine assembly with guides cost 20k officially from Mitsubishi. Buy it and put it or have them put it. Do not be tempted to put aftermarket assemblies from Palika Bhavan or Opera House. They don't work,

Last edited by aah78 : 28th February 2018 at 23:28. Reason: Quote fixed. Post fixed.
Old 28th February 2018, 21:46   #209
Senior - BHPian

I got my timing chain checked and it is in perfect condition. There is usually a chaf chaf sound that indicates the timing chain is worn out. Also the timing chain life depends solely on how frequently the engine oil was changed. I have never missed the oil change and it is always done at 5000 kms. I will once again get the chain checked and take necessary action. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 28th February 2018, 23:11   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
Dear road4x4 traveler

I would strongly suggest you change the timing assembly. My sisters 2010 sfx timing chain ate itself up and i can assure you that it was not pretty. The entire genuine assembly with guides cost 20k officially from Mitsubishi. Buy it and put it or have them put it. Do not be tempted to put aftermarket assemblies from palika bhavan or opera house. They dont work
Do you happen to know what was the mileage on your Sisters Pajero when the timing chain snapped.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st March 2018 at 07:12. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.

Most Viewed