Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 20:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold

Against all odds I bought the oldest SUV on the block. The reasons were simple, I needed a vehicle with the following features / characteristics and this is how it all began.

The Requirements:

1. Comfortable
2. Capable - Go any where capability
3. Easy to drive
4. Proven mechanicals
5. Utterly reliable
6. Carry at-least 6 people
7. Must have a proper 4x4 with Low Ratio and Differential locking option
8. Diesel
9. Around 20 Lacs budget

The Options:
Went to the market for doing my research in January and was quite surprised when I could find only two options. The Fortuner and the Pajero. Fortuner bookings were open and I booked one straightaway. Did not even consider the Pajero as it is considered to be an outdated / obsolete model with an underpowered engine (That's what you hear from almost everybody)

The Wait and the Re-search:
The wait for the Fortuner began and I was patiently waiting for August (I was given an August delivery date) to bring home the T-Fort.

Surprisingly the T-Fort dealer did not have any test vehicle and I had never driven the T-Fort but still went and booked it purely on word of mouth.

After 3 long months and at least 10 phone calls later I was assured that the vehicle is likely to be made available in April. I renewed my request for a test drive to the dealer and was again told that they don't have a vehicle for test drive. I could feel the dealers arrogance but decided to overlook it.

I dropped an email to Toyota through their contact us form and requested for a Test Drive, explaining to them that I had been denied a test drive and that I was also a future customer and mentioned my booking number. Next day I get a call from the dealer inviting me for a test drive. I was impressed that the Toyota feedback system actually works.

So off we go, me, wife and kid to take a test drive. Finally got a brand new Fortuner at our disposal and took it out for a spin. We already had a Safari 2.2 EX 4x4 and so we had no problem or surprises in the initial awe that strikes one the first time you drive a big SUV. That said we drove along a fairly well laid out tarmac road slowly chugging out. Took a comprehensive but quick drive and returned to the dealers showroom, said thank you and came out.

My wife and kid were the first ones to comment. My wife - "It is too boucy", our Safari is more comfortable" . My son (who was on the rear seat) "It is very big from the inside, but the Safari is better"

These two comments were in my opinion the two most straight answers I could get. On my end I had only two observations, first the ride quality was actually quite jarring and secondly the brakes did not inspire any confidence. I confirmed the the air pressure was okay and the brakes were the upgraded ones.

Frankly we were quite disappointed. Went home thinking what to do. Finally next day filled out the cancellation form and got the refund in one week.

A week later we decided to check out the Pajero. Against all odds we landed at the Pajero dealership and looked around at the vehicle. Politely asked if a test drive was possible and were immediately offered one. Skeptic about the vehicle from all that we heard (Old, Outdated, Obsolete) we climbed in and started out on a small test drive.

We were both impressed. Amazing comfort, fantastic low end pulling, no turbo lag, very old but very functional everything (Switches, Meters, Dashboard etc).

Came back quite confused since everything we had heard was in complete conflict with what we had experienced. Anyway decided to take some time to think it over. Over the next week we took no less that three additional test drives to confirm our initial impressions. Every single time we came back convinced that it was a very well put together vehicle.

Finally we bought it yesterday. It has been driven around 30 odd kilometers till now. Got the fuel tank topped. It took 84 litres and Rs. 3300/- approx to quench the thirst.

Initial impressions:
- Everything laid out quite ergonomically
- Supremely comfortable
- Super suspension and ability to gobble up potholes
- Probably one of the best 4x4 box in this budget
- Pretty well equipped
- Attention to detail in almost everything it has
- Excellent build quality

Particularly Liked:
- Upholstery, feels quite upmarket and seats are very well bolstered
- Road handling is very good. Could drive with a very light hand
- Easy to drive - my wife drove it and said it is just like her Zen
- All mechanical and no electronic gadgetry - Probably translates to better reliability and lower bills

Did not like:
- The low RPM range in which the engine operates. Runs out of steam pretty early. Need to use the gearbox to extract the best. It is not underpowered but you can't pull and rev like you can do with a CRDi engine.

All in all, we are pretty much satisfied with our decision. We bought the Graphite color and here are some photographs for you pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20110413_175452_191.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20110413_175508_23.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20110413_175533_625.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20110413_175542_44.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20110413_175620_600.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20110413_175641_770.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20110413_175713_180.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20110413_175721_206.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20110413_175735_832.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20110413_175750_137.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-20110413_175907_258.jpg  

Last edited by Traveler : 14th April 2011 at 07:21. Reason: Adding details.
Traveler is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 13:11   #2
BHPian

re: Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold

Wow!!! very neat, very honest and unbiased review. For obvious reasons buyers are going gaga over Fortuner, but i personally never liked it. Pajero is a grand dady of all. Really good choice, many congratulations!!!
Old 14th April 2011, 13:18   #3
BHPian

Congratulations for a honest decision!

Happy Motoring and fuss free mile crunching to you.

Yes, I have been drooling over this too since my childhood. I do not think Fortuner provides anything more than the Pajero, if not less.

Good Decision mate!
Old 14th April 2011, 13:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Kindly try to do something about the locks. Get something fool proof installed.
Seems Pajero's are very easy to steal thanks to the outdated lock mechanism.

And Pajero's are favorite amongst the thieves.

Congrats on your buy. You have bought a beautiful classic.

OT: I like Red and cream combo more. You did not like it?

Last edited by download2live : 14th April 2011 at 13:25.
Old 14th April 2011, 13:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

One of the most honest reviews I ever read. Congratulations traveller for your brand new Pajero. You have bought a monster; this car is a head turner despite its age.Please add some more pics of the engine bay and interiors and keep the thread updated regularly.

As download2live has suggested make sure about the security of the car as this car is thief's favorite.

BTW Why didn’t you consider Chevy Captiva?
bluevolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 13:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!!! Same thing happened to my uncle who decided on a Fortuner, then backed out at last minute and bought a brand new Pajero, same colour as yours. I borrowed it one day and basked in all the glory. I relsihed all the attention lavished on this beast as I drove around town.

I fully agree with you on listening to your wife and son. They can give you best, unbiased opinion as compared to salesmen (bent on selling somehow) and friends/enthusiasts/auto "experts"/auto-journalists who all are mostly obsessed with logo than what is behind that logo.

And, oh yes, as for Pajero, let me tell you about Mitsubishi cars. All the attention is showered on Hondas and Toyotas but Mitsu cars are far more reliable than H/T. They are bloddy boringly reliable.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 13:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats
and i was wondering about Kosmo Motors until i saw PB65 registration.
Looks haute,and its still my favourite SUV,just hope that it doesnt go out of production by the time i can afford one.
and hey thats a nice color.
Old 14th April 2011, 13:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Traveler ! Congratulations.

Pajero was my first like/love/desire/lust and desparately wanted it till, for the very same reasons you mentioned, I went in for the TFort.

But have a huge soft corner for the mountain cat (the origin of the word Pajero - Leopardus pajeros, the Pampas Cat. Don't even bother asking me the slang meaning in Spanish - you'll blush ! That's why they named the SUV which evolved from the Cat as Monteiro or Mountain Warrior). Would love to continue reading about your progress with the Cat !

Sure TFort has its charms but I am sure the Cat would also have its own in equal measure.

Nice write up and snaps !

Keep them coming -I for one, would have my eyes peeled for updates on your thread.

What have you named your Pajero ?

Last edited by Guderian : 14th April 2011 at 13:45.
Old 14th April 2011, 14:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Pajero, a true blood SUV. Wishing you many happy miles with it.

Please get a security system installed, from what I can gather, the Pajero does not have an immobilizer and hence an easy target for thieves.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ero-theft.html

What was the OTR price? And do post some close up pics of the interiors/dashboard.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 14th April 2011 at 14:36.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 14:32   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow!! A Big Daddy again.
Congrats Traveler Wishing you safe and happy miles ahead.
Old 14th April 2011, 15:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Traveller.

For a minute when i saw the fist snap i was wondering if you live in a lane next to me in Pune. I have been drooling over a brand new Pajero of the same color in our locality for the last few days. But then saw the registration and was disappointed

Would be following this thread for further updates and ownership experiences. Any comparisons possible between your Safari drive and the Pajero?
Old 14th April 2011, 17:05   #12
BHPian

Hearty congratulations Traveler, on your new acquisition.

I liked that you have given your side and experience, since much has already been written about the Pajero and it's all no less than singing praises.

Mitsubishi makes great vehicles and the Pajero is a solid statement on any road, regardless how long it has been plying. The time factor only reinforces the fact as to what lies under the sheets.

This is one trusted steed you've got yourself and I'd say it's a superb decison on your part.

Try as one might, you cannot beat the presence it commands.

I believe the Pajero still comes out at the top in the Dakar Rally Raid, add to it the fact it's been doing that straight since 1985 and that's money-well-spent already.

From what I've learnt driving Mitsubishi is that they have great low end torque, as the engines are tuned (or rather de-tuned) for Indian conditions to lower the bhp, hence the lower revv llimiter, but you push them in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears and that's where you feel the power surge of the 2.8.

You might realize the 3rd and 4th gears are the most powerful on these vehicles, the pep on these two is like no other SUV and the vehicle simply lurches forward. Even the 4-3-4 works for a swift overtaking here.

The lower revv ranges are also the reason that you will feel the vehicle 'runs out of breath' at 3 digit speeds. You could search the forum for threads on performance mods.

The handling is on the dot and is both easy and fun to drive and you can forget about those jarring potholes and bumps, there is little that unsettles the Pajero.

The HM guys have upped the ante on the ICE and the speaker system I believe is now Rockford Fosgate and the HU is now a double din Kenwood.

The interiors are plush, classic and you can tell nobody went overboard on anything apart from the attention to detail. (refer the utility tool kit)

Another good thing you've already noticed is the use of least electricals, that leaves not much to chance if you want to just pack up and hit the road, especially with family.

Mitsubishi vehicles come with longer service intervals too, my Cedia services at 10,000km intervals. Hope the same for your Pajero.

So, have fun as that's what the Pajero is built for, and built to last!

@ Herr Guderian: my Spanish is not that tidy, but I sure know the slang in English.

Another reason why Mitsubishi re-branded this gem for certain markets.

Last edited by mandheers : 14th April 2011 at 17:07. Reason: typo
Old 14th April 2011, 17:26   #13
BHPian

Congratulations on the decision and the new ride! You are indeed correct in saying that the Pajero has a more comfortable ride quality than the Fortuner.

Also the noise levels in the Fortuner seem higher than the Pajero's.

Both vehicles are very capable on and off the road though the Fortuner has more grunt on the road..i have both vehicles so can safely vouch for that.

That said, you have bought a gem of a Jeep that is going to give you a million miles (literally) of driving pleasure and years of reliable service.

Congratulations once again on a superb choice and enjoy the ride.

I will leave you with a few snaps of our Pajero.
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-11032009262.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-11032009261.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-11032009264.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-28072009469.jpg  

Mitsubishi Pajero - The Dark Horse comes home. EDIT: Sold-28072009466.jpg  

Manuuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 17:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

@ Traveler Welcome to the Pajero Club !! PB 65 hmmmm CSD quota ? Just curious - did you get a couple of lacs off the sticker price ? Brilliant vehicle, you will love it more with each drive. Congratulations on the purchase of a True Blue 4x4 old school yet very comfortable & competent !!

What tyres did you get with the vehicle? MRF's? Those would last you around 50K kms, one suggestion, if at all you want to, swap them with Yokohama Geolanders, you will find the braking & the ride way better. Also check on the tyre pressure. Most fuel pump AIR filling guys fill in 35 psi, whereas it should be 27 psi - front & 30 psi rear. If you maintain the correct pressure, you will be adding life to your suspension.

Just thought I'd share this little info with you.

Cheers

Last edited by manson : 25th December 2018 at 20:01. Reason: Typo.
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 17:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
@ Traveler Welcome to the Pajero Club !! PB 65 hmmmm CSD quota ? Just curious - did you get a couple of lacs off the sticker price ?
Ricky Jee, how did you come upon with the CSD quota thing?
PB65 is Mohali's registration number, I do not think one can make out with that temp number,if it has been purchased through CSD.

Last edited by manson : 25th December 2018 at 20:01. Reason: Typos.

Most Viewed