Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2011, 14:04   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Nano and all that Jazz EDIT: Both of them SOLD!

Hey take care Bala. Thank God for buckling up and other safe driving practices! You should take it as a sign and get the Michelins pronto.

Back to happier topics, name suggestion for your thread: "Hatches large and small: Jazz + Nano ownership report"
Old 21st July 2011, 14:06   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I had the worst experience at Darshan Tyres opposite Karishma, thats why I didn't mention his name. He had a few designs, but was so damn reluctant/ignorant/passive/lathargic... to talk to me or listen to me. He spoke to me after a huge 15 mins gap and then said that he has only one design and I should buy that only. What the heck! But, anyways, this was MY experience. You might have a better experience.
I agree with Ajay, I too had a not so good experience with DT. But no har in trying it out. My experience is that he has designs (for alloys) for better selling vehicles like Swift etc. He does not seem to be having any good variety for other vehicles.
Old 21st July 2011, 14:31   #93
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear about the accident but glad that you are safe and no major damage to the car.
The seat belt tightening features is called seat belt pretensioner - it is a pity that many cars do not have it (even the top end variants equipped with Airbags and ABS)but it is a very important safety feature.

About tires, I personally think there is no need to upsize, all you need is better quality rubber. Get the Michelin XM1+ of same size - 175/65R15.

About alloys, I think Lenso or HRT is good. Please check the PCD before you go alloy hunting.
I guess you will anyway do the wheel alignment after tire and alloys change.
Old 21st July 2011, 14:35   #94
Senior - BHPian

I am touched with all the concern in your comments. I appreciate your advice and kind words, they truly mean a lot to me.

Quote:
Thank God you are alright. Man, that was a strange accident. Also, good to hear that nothing apart from the tyres went kaput. BTW, the seat belt tightening feature is really a feature or it just happened? I have heard of something similar, but can't remember the jargon.
I dont know ajay; perhaps it was just my <increasing> weight pressing against the seatbelt as against the other way around. I am not so sure. Things just happened so fast, its all a blur now. More evidence for me to understand (if I didnt already) that it takes only a couple of moments to cause an accident.
I am just glad with the stability/ safety that the Jazz offered. I shudder to think what would have happened if it was my erstwhile zen or Wagon R, no offence intended. I am sure I wouldnt have been touching 60 in a.m. twilight in the Nano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I think I know where this location is.
Shucks, you had my number, you should have called me. The place is stones throw (no pun intended) away from my place. But I am glad that no other damage happened.
I had half a mind to stop there on my return just to remove the stones and say thanks to the others who stayed out of the way. However, with an additional puncture, I just wanted to get home soon. Maybe I will go there with someone in the next few days just to ensure these are not a risk for other drivers.
dot bhai, your number was in another phone which was given for servicing and my priority was to get to the airport as I had a flight in 40 minutes. One that I could not miss; will talk about it when we meet next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Good to know you are safe. Tire bursts sometimes can transpire into very dangerous accidents.
Regarding alloys, I recommend Rahul Enterprises on FC road, just beside the Nokia Care and Behind the BP pump. He has got some really nice designs.
Very true anil, thanks for the reco. I will have a look there; its on my way (one of the routes I take) to work.
I still have to reply to your PM. I havent had a confirmation yet, but will reply to you as soon as I get confirmed info/ details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
I love the way you look at things. Even in a situation like this, you could come up with an anecdote.
he he, now that you like it heres one more
When life hands us a lemon, its better to think of making lemonade than cursing ourselves. If I had the business sense to set up a nimbu paani tapri with all the lemons I got, I would be doing roaring business

Quote:
As far as tyres are concerned, try Darshan tyres opp Karishma soc. He has some good alloys, and is reasonably cheap. Heck, we could do it today evening, if i finish my errands soon.
Quote:
But, anyways, this was MY experience. You might have a better experience.
Thanks guys, I intend to get the tyres done from Lokmanya Auto tomorrow morining on my way to work. The alloys will take some more time, I will need to look at a lot of designs before finalising one; so that would take at least a couple of weeks. Considering that I would spend around 20K on tyres, I would also need to stagger/ delay the alloys purchase accordingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Hey take care Bala. Thank God for buckling up and other safe driving practices! You should take it as a sign and get the Michelins pronto. Back to happier topics, name suggestion for your thread: "Hatches large and small: Jazz + Nano ownership report"
Thanks for the suggestion noop; I like the fact that you are focussing my attention back to a better place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I agree with Ajay, I too had a not so good experience with DT. But no har in trying it out. My experience is that he has designs (for alloys) for better selling vehicles like Swift etc. He does not seem to be having any good variety for other vehicles.
Anil; regardless of the clearance sale I dont think the Jazz falls anywhere in the better selling vehicles yet! Just kidding, I will have a look there too nonetheless; if nothing just to confirm if his attitude is a problem or if he had a fight with his wife the day ajay walked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Sad to hear about the accident but glad that you are safe and no major damage to the car.
The seat belt tightening features is called seat belt pretensioner - it is a pity that many cars do not have it (even the top end variants equipped with Airbags and ABS)but it is a very important safety feature.
About tires, I personally think there is no need to upsize, all you need is better quality rubber. Get the Michelin XM1+ of same size - 175/65R15.
About alloys, I think Lenso or HRT is good. Please check the PCD before you go alloy hunting. I guess you will anyway do the wheel alignment after tire and alloys change.
Thanks adimicra!
I will need to find out how to check the PCD. I am sure I will find something here on tbhp and I am glad it will give me something to do me for the rest of the afternoon.
Wheel alignment and balancing are done at the tyre shop itself; its included in cost. In fact, the guy at N Mehta also offered to fill up free nitrogen.

Last edited by selfdrive : 21st July 2011 at 14:42.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 15:17   #95
Senior - BHPian

Hey SD bro, glad that you are alright.
That was one freak accident, this road was supposed to be completed way back when, and like the baner rd is one which is always under construction.
Further up the road too there are horrible craters and one has to be ultra careful on this particular road.
What i want you to do here on is use the other road which leads to the airport. Its a much smoother and safer option. It comes just after the last entrance to kalyani nagar from nagar rd. Its a great road, is pretty new and leads straight to the airport. If you need any help with the directions give me a buzz. Could be a good excuse to catch up too.

Like Noops says it could be a sign. Go in for the michie's.

Regarding a thread title. Its a really tough one matie. Racked my brains. Ok now dont laugh...
Jazzing to a nano tune.
Ok now i'm laughing... Geez.
Old 21st July 2011, 15:31   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
The alloys will take some more time, I will need to look at a lot of designs before finalising one; so that would take at least a couple of weeks.
Bala, why delay on the alloys? I suggest, wait for a week or two and go in for the entire thing. That ways, at least the heart feels that the expenses were done only once .

Quote:
Considering that I would spend around 20K on tyres, I would also need to stagger/ delay the alloys purchase accordingly
I completely agree on the searching part though. Look extensively for designs. Also, try and get the family's opinion once you've selected the alloys. Its always better to have a second opinion.

EDIT: Mdsaab, I actually like that name to the thread. Nice, cute and unique .

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 21st July 2011 at 15:32.
Old 21st July 2011, 15:40   #97
BHPian

Dear Bala,

Good to know that you scraped through this incident. All eej well that ends well!
I'm sure it gives us all fellow T-BHPians an incite into how important the Seat-Belt is towards a person's safety.

On second thoughts:
Now, you get a chance to upgrade your wheels

You were asking about Lokmanya Tyres. Yes you can bargain with him for a discount on his offered price to you. (I always buy my wheels and tires from them.)
The owner Mr. Ashish Kulkarni is a good friend of mine.
Please give him the reference that you are good friends with me and that I have referred you to his shop. [my name :Satyen Narke, recent buy from him : Yokos + Plati Alloys for my Skoda Octavia]

Let me know how it goes.
cheers.

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 21st July 2011 at 15:42.
Old 21st July 2011, 15:47   #98
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Swanand. Was going to delete the title suggestion but then said. Hey what the heck.

Forgot to add my suggestion for the alloy lookout.
Do take look at Poona Motors in camp. They did have some interesting designs when i was there last.
Old 21st July 2011, 19:27   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I met with an accident on my way to the PNQ airport yesterday around 5am
The entire nagar road is full of diversions and people move the dividers to take twowheelers through the gap, in the process the divider moves a good 2-3ft on the road which is very difficult to notice at night and can be the cause of serious incidents even at 40km/hr.

Good to know you are safe and damage is minimum. Drive safe.
Old 21st July 2011, 20:12   #100
Team-BHP Support

Selfdrive, thank god that you were belted up, and secondly – you were in the Jazz! I feel Honda’s safety standards are best among the Japanese cars.

Time to get a new set of footwear for the Jazz
Old 21st July 2011, 22:35   #101
Senior - BHPian

Buddy,

The entire nagar road divider line is like a snake, it turns and twists with huge boulders pointing outward at several places, you have to be very careful.

Maintain enough distance between your car and the divider.

Good to hear that you are safe.

Just view this incident as, one more reason for you to change the tyres.

Check for suspension damage and get the wheel alignment done.
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:51   #102
Senior - BHPian

Thanks again guys for all your kind words of support, it is a bit overwhelming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
What i want you to do here on is use the other road which leads to the airport. Its a much smoother and safer option.
Like Noops says it could be a sign. Go in for the michie's.
Regarding a thread title. Its a really tough one matie. Racked my brains. Ok now dont laugh... Jazzing to a nano tune.
I know the other road and intended to take that one even on that day. I dont know why I instinctively turned left there. Immediately after turning, I was wondering why I did that. Anyway, I know better now!
Great title suggestion, I think this will definitely make the shortlist, though now I am thinking of possible variations!

Quote:
Bala, why delay on the alloys? I suggest, wait for a week or two and go in for the entire thing. That ways, at least the heart feels that the expenses were done only once.
Dude, you must be a soothsayer or perhaps you have a premonition of when the heart is going to win over the head. I went to Lokmanya Auto and finalised the Michelins. However, the rims looked so repulsive that I decided to go in for alloys too.
Now after a couple of hours, the owner called to say that the XM1s are not fitting correctly on the alloys of the same size. They would be a tight fit but would compromise on ride quality. He recommended to go in for 185/65 R15 tyres on 15" alloys. Now the weird part is that XM1s are not available in that size, so am getting Bridgestone Turanza ER300s instead.
(latest news, fresh off the press)
Alloys set of 4 175/65 R15 - INR 17700
Tyres 185/60 R15 - INR 4600 x 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Good to know that you scraped through this incident. All eej well that ends well!
I'm sure it gives us all fellow T-BHPians an incite into how important the Seat-Belt is towards a person's safety.
You were asking about Lokmanya Tyres. Yes you can bargain with him for a discount on his offered price to you. (I always buy my wheels and tires from them.)
Thanks Monaro CV8; I am glad for my own happiness that there wasnt a seatbelt protestor seated alongside me that day (yes such people exist). Henceforth, I intend to throw such people out if they dont buckle up.
I mentioned your name, but I am the self professed benchmark for bad negotiations so not spoken about any discounts yet. I will pay him in the evening when I pick up the Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
The entire nagar road is full of diversions and people move the dividers to take twowheelers through the gap, in the process the divider moves a good 2-3ft on the road which is very difficult to notice at night and can be the cause of serious incidents even at 40km/hr. Good to know you are safe and damage is minimum. Drive safe.
Thanks AvonA7; I cannot understand why people dont place the removed stones on the divider. Why place them on the road, that too on the fast lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Selfdrive, thank god that you were belted up, and secondly – you were in the Jazz! I feel Honda’s safety standards are best among the Japanese cars. Time to get a new set of footwear for the Jazz
Time indeed vb_san; and how the tide turns too I will try to put up some pics of the new footwear soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Maintain enough distance between your car and the divider. Just view this incident as, one more reason for you to change the tyres.
Check for suspension damage and get the wheel alignment done.
Wheel alignment will be done now that I am changing the shoes. I was at least a couple of feet away from the divider. The stones were placed in a circular design and I hit the one at the left edge of the circle. Unfortunately did not have an opportunity to swerve due to the speeding Xylo on my left. I am relieved to come out with minimal impact.
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:58   #103
Senior - BHPian

Hahah, so you've actually taken up the suggestion then. I likes!
Glad to know that you've gone for the alloys. Do let us know about the Bridgestones. To be honest, this is the first time Ive heard of these. But hey, I am no expert in the rubber department. Err, tyres is what I meant. Not the other kind.

Update us with difference in ride quality if any, and the overall experiance with the dealer as well.
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:19   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar
Glad to know that you've gone for the alloys. Do let us know about the Bridgestones. To be honest, this is the first time Ive heard of these. But hey, I am no expert in the rubber department. Err, tyres is what I meant. Not the other kind.

Update us with difference in ride quality if any, and the overall experiance with the dealer as well.
Turanza ER 300 is the variant used in several cars as stock tires. ER 60 is the more popular one.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 12:14   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Turanza ER 300 is the variant used in several cars as stock tires. ER 60 is the more popular one.
Yeah, heart wins over the head again. I guess this is becoming quite a habit with the Jazz. I am feeling much lighter, definitely in the pocket but more so in terms of reliability on the shoes.

While driving in town, I have noticed a slight improvement in terms of ride. However, I am not sure if this can be attributed to the change in tyre size or moving to Bridgestones. I have no experience of riding on the XM1s, so cannot comment/ compare. On the highway however, it is a huge improvement. The Jazz now just glides over the highway; well as long as the surface is decent/ without potholes!

The dealer was honest and upfront. While he did have a few recommendations, he discussed my preferences and then showed me the range accordingly. In fact he called me to say that while the XM1 (175/65 R15) fit the chosen alloys, they are a tight fit and may compromise on ride comfort. He recommended moving to 185/60 R15. As these were unavailable in the XM1 range, I opted for the Bridgestone instead. I told him I would like to avoid Goodyears, and he said there was a reason he didnt recommend them.
No discounts but that isnt a surprise as I am pathetic as a negotiating buyer. He did dispose of the used rims & tyres and deducted as appropriate.
The job was done in the time frame that he committed to earlier and he was quite keen to come out and have a look at the alloys when I was leaving. I do not anticipate any concerns, but would like to wait and watch if any problems crop up.

No pictures yet unfortunately. By the time I laid my hands on a camera, the alloys had been soiled. I will put up some pics after the overall cleaning ritual sometime later this week at Sagar Auto care. Perhaps that would be part of the long term ownership report!
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks