Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 15:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nano and all that Jazz EDIT: Both of them SOLD!

I dont really think I am good at building up a story by keeping the end result a secret, hence I have given it away in the title; The Jazz and the Nano enter

This story dates back to more than a year, when we decided to return to our home town Pune. During this year, it was a boon to have TBHP to provide all the answers to the forever multiplying questions in my head. Thanks to my fellow bhpians who provided inputs from the ‘field’ of play, I ended up feeling that a test drive or a visit to the showroom was useful only in terms of feel – to understand the comfort level with the car one wants to buy. This was reinforced by the knowledge displayed by our endearing SAs. Of course this is only my opinion, and may not be applicable to others. Before I begin I would like to thank for their conributions, in no particular order/ priority;
mdsaab – for the continued updates and advice for all relevant topics
sandeshkanchan – for providing all the details that ensured I did not go in for the i20 crdi, (no offence meant to existing users, just that I am happier with my final choice
sidindica – for a wonderful and timely (for me) review of the SX4 diesel
GTO – apart from the wonderful reviews & TDs of the Punto, Jazz & Figo, the thread that really helped me was an unsung gem; one where you explained the benefits of a used car so succintly (I think it’s the one for your Civic
adimicra – for the persistent efforts in detailing the Jazz
Maverick79 – for the kind update about the Tata Manza
roamingrao – for the magnificent travelogue which is a beacon of light waking up lazy bugs like me and reminding us the way it should be done
Everyone else who contributed to my previous thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...than-7-5l.html

I had spent the last few months looking up all the positives and negatives (for my usage/ purpose) for the cars in my budget range. Having no specific requirements for a sedan/ hatchback probably allowed me to consider a wider range of cars. I will attempt to summarise my opinion about the cars I considered and my experience with the showrooms
selfdrive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 15:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Nano and all that Jazz EDIT: Both of them SOLD!

It seems a bit straight forward now, but there was a lot of ‘to-ing and fro-ing’ between all the cars here. There have been multiple occasions when I said to myself that this is the final decision, and I will not look any further. At every such occasion, some trigger got pulled; perhaps a new launch or a re launch or a new review/ update by a fellow bhpian.

During one of my visits to Pune, I had enrolled for 3 TDs (Fiat Punto, Hyundai i20 and Maruti SX4). Of these, Fiat called me once but never again and Hyundai kept calling but never arrived with a car for the TD.

Maruti Suzuki SX4 VVT
Maruti called only once and finalized the time for the TD. I was very impressed by them till they turned with the AT, though I had specifically requested for the MT. Nevertheless, I did not feel like disappointing either the SA or myself, so continued with the TD. If one likes the SX4, then the AT is an amazing option. I really hope they come up with an AT for the diesel, if they have not already. However, as this was not what I was looking for, it was the first car to be eliminated. This was in October 2010 and there were no details forthcoming from the SA on the diesel launch.
+ Good GC
+ Maruti reliability on ***
+ Good driving position & space
- Old design
- Ride is a bit bumpy at times

Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi
After about a week of continuous and useless phone calls from Hyundai, I walked in to Kothari Hyundai when I was passing by. The sales persons seemed least interested and when I asked to see the car, I was shown a car that was parked so tight between a wall and another car that even the door could not be opened. I returned to the SA at the desk and told her that I had requested for a TD around 10 days ago. She confirmed that my name was on the records but gave no commitment for a TD.
Frustrated with this attitude, I went straight to Sanjay Hyundai. Here, the SA was very helpful with the TD and even asked if I wanted to TD his manager’s car (with his permission of course!).
The TD was an eye opener. It takes off like a rocket and comes with all the bells and whistles. We were not convinced with the room in the rear and the turbo lag, but neither of these were deal breakers so we finalized this car.
+
+ Bells & whistles (now with GPS etc, but it can be installed aftermarket)
+ Curtain airbags (only on petrol top end)
- steering issues (a big unresolved issue)
- turbo lag and somewhat less space in the rear seat
- Hyundai *** does not seem so reliable now

A few days later, I thought it would be wise to see what existing owners have to say about this car. On t-bhp, after looking for a bit I bumped into the issues being faced by skanchan. This set some alarm bells ringing in me and I called a friend who also owned an Asta crdi. He confirmed that he had similar issues (though not to the same extent) and advised me against going in for the car as he had some issues with how Hyundai was dealing with the issue. The cheque went back into my pocket, and the search resumed
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 15:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion Pk
I guess it is really pointless to expect or wait for a call from Fiat/ Tata so we ventured into the showroom for a TD of the Punto.
The TD only reinforced all that we had read in the reports by GTO and other current owners. It was a very short TD (perhaps 1 km) and it seemed that the guy wanted to go the gents’ urgently. There was no explanation of any features and I ended up thinking that this guy is not really a SA. Well, at least I got a TD!
+ really seems to be built like a tank
+ Amazing handling & ride, very visible even within that km. It should be a hoot to drive on the highways
- Drab and bad quality interiors
- Question mark over ***

Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion Pk was parked right next to the Punto in the showroom and she is so beautiful that we could not help but consider. Unfortunately no TD was available that day for the Linea. We sat in the display car to get a feel, and somehow decided this isn’t what we were looking for
+ great interiors and fully loaded with features
- Lack of headroom (deal breaker for us)

Tata (Indigo?) Manza Quadrajet Aura+/ Elan
Perhaps the lack of headroom was further exaggerated by the Manza which was displayed in the same showroom. We also managed a TD for Manza later in the week as it wasn’t available the same day. It seems very stable and planted on the road and the piant job on it is fabulous, very much Punto like. This is a great step forward for Tata and they seem to be benefitting a lot from the JV
+ Oodles of space, great legroom, headroom
- The boot is too big for my liking/ requirement. A Manza CS would be perfect
The Manza Elan resolves any issues with the dash colour and the quality seems much better too. However, this seemed to be too big a car for my liking.

Ford Figo Titanium tdci
We walked in for a TD of the Figo and were impressed by the solid drive it provides. However, the interiors were not to our liking and we put it on hold in case we did not find anything better, which we did right across the showroom
+ Solid drive
+ OK in terms of space
- Interiors
- IMHO everything is OK, but nothing is great

Ford Fiesta SXi tdci (old name, now Classic)
Now, this would have been the car I bought right away if not for all the publicity about the new Fiesta and some confusion about the rebadging of the (then) current Fiesta.
+ Fabulous to drive
+ Decent level of equipment
- if any, the room in the rear, but I could have lived with that

Nevertheless, till the time the Fiesta classic came around, a lot of things moved ahead on my side, which resulted in the Fiesta being put on the back burner. Before I could move it from the back to the front, ‘meri khichdi kahin aur puk gayi’!
Old 21st April 2011, 15:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Somewhere during these TDs the wife finally gave up and decided to buy something of her own choice. Considering the unbearable traffic conditions during summer, it seemed the wise thing to do. Hence began the hunt for a second car, which lasted precisely 10 minutes. Perhaps this says that the thoughts were already planted in our minds.
In any case, this was a replacement more for her scooter, and she had liked the Nano when we went to the Tata showroom.
The next day she went and booked the Nano CX in the red and the delivery was scheduled in a week’s time. The day after I arrived, we received a call that the Nano is ready for delivery.
As I was the only ‘lukkha’ at home that day, I was deputed to go fetch her
Delivery issues were as expected/ warned about Pandit Auto; delays in delivery, delivery boys & security guard asking for baksheesh etc. I got the car 2 hours later than informed.
So, we ended up getting the second car before the first was even identified.

Purchased April 2011
On road price for Nano CX (mid range version with AC): 189,000 approximate
Accessories added: Alloys, Seat covers, Anti rust treatment, Window sill overhangs/ rain protectors, Sun film
No discounts, but got a voucher for 2000 INR redeemable at PNG jewellers

My initial opinion of the Nano, completed 750 kms as of date:
+ Great leg room & head room
+ Easily chuck able on city roads
+ Fun to drive and easy to park
+ AC is ok even during Indian summer, but needs some time at higher speeds
- Limited in handling, but seems much better after a highway run of around 250km return
- Fit/ finish issues: dangling/ loose cables and a few panel gaps (less noticeable than before)

The Nano will be used for around 25 km daily run mostly by my wife within the city. Somehow, it attracts more attention especially from kids as it is easily recognizable and has a cute design. The designers at Tata Motors have done a great job at extracting every inch of space and making it available to the passengers. While the boot idea may not be likable, it is adequate for city runs with shopping bags etc. Initially, the lack of a glove box was jarring, but now we find this is not really essential or perhaps we just got used to it!
The engine is peppy enough for city runs and she has been a hoot to drive and park within the city. Even with 4 passengers on board and 100% AC, the Nano keeps up pace with city traffic. The driver’s seating position is set high and is a boon. However, it takes some time to get used to the small (non existent) front. Ingress/ Egress is also comfortable for children and older people alike. There are no cubby holes whatsoever, just some space on the dash and one below the handbrake. We have ended up keeping a haversack in the rear which stores all stuff that would be required. Perhaps there should be some extendable sachets attached in the doors if only to store water bottles
Fuel consumption seems OK for now, but sales would definitely be higher with either a diesel or an automatic, or both!
Some FE stats 90% AC in city, 100% AC on highway:
150 kms for 10.2 l – FE 14.7 kmpl City driving
130 kms for 7.42 l – FE 17.5 kmpl highway and ghat
200 kms for 10 l – FE 20 kmpl highway and ghat
140 kms for 10 l – FE 14 kmpl City driving

Next: Some pictures of the Nano and the search for the first car, hopefully early next week!

Last edited by selfdrive : 21st April 2011 at 15:27.
Old 8th May 2011, 10:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Some pictures of the Nano
Attached Thumbnails
Nano and all that Jazz EDIT: Both of them SOLD!-img_1493.jpg  

Nano and all that Jazz EDIT: Both of them SOLD!-img_1495.jpg  

Nano and all that Jazz EDIT: Both of them SOLD!-img_1496.jpg  

Nano and all that Jazz EDIT: Both of them SOLD!-img_1534.jpg  

Nano and all that Jazz EDIT: Both of them SOLD!-img_1589.jpg  

Old 9th May 2011, 15:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

The gearshift seems to get stuck at times, and is not smooth but acceptable.
Suspension is ok but ride seems to be a bit bumpy. No fog lamps on this version, but I don’t think they will be missed in Pune. The left ORVM is missed a bit initially, but the second wiper blade is not!

One of the downsides for me is that it does not get any respect on the highways and at least twice, I was almost pushed off the road by the usual taxi idiots in Innova/ Qualis

Other than that, she drove fabulously for the drive to Mahabi/ Panchgani though I had to switch off the AC for steeper bends. I am not sure if this the right way to go about it, but it seemed more feasible at the time. We easily did 80 and touched 90 a couple of times, after which she got a bit nervous and I did not push any further.

In the meanwhile for the first car we also considered and rejected
VW Polo (lack of rear space, 3 pot engine not to my liking)
VW Vento (waiting time + out of budget)
Honda Jazz (out of budget)
Maruti Suzuki SX4 Diesel (I wasn’t keen on going for the affordable non ABS version)

This is where GTO’s advice about used cars was very useful. After having looked daily (sometimes hourly) at used car portals, I gave up for about a week out of frustration.

Around April 11th, I casually logged on to a website not really expecting to find anything. But there she was in all her glory. The good old Honda Jazz in Sapphire Blue.
Within a few minutes, I had called the dealer and arranged for a TD the same afternoon. The dealer was prompt as well and I told him outright that I would not be haggling or bargaining if he gave me his best price upfront.
While I understand this is not the way to strike a bargain deal, this is what bowled me over:
+ Exterior looks: subjective but I liked it
+ Interior quality and space
+ Mileage and age vis a vis price
+ Price: it now fit neatly into my reduced budget
- still taking time to get used to the GC

Last edited by selfdrive : 9th May 2011 at 15:13.
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 03:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Selfdrive!

CONGRATULATIONS.......on NANO

I have myself been criticised in my family and frnd circles for buying one, untill they were stunned by its space and AC, and the fact that it rides like a normal car.

RED is stunning, and looks very sporty with those alloys

I will be soon moving to MH-12 territory with my MH-03 NANO LX.
Yes i have also experienced gearshift issues at times, but on most occasions it has been good.

3 spoke steering wheel is fun to use.
I have not had a chance to use the fog lamps , but they look classy.

AC is excellent according to me, and you get more storage is a LX version.
I went to Concorde today to ask for Front screen TINT and was refused since according to them the front screen is too brittle to bear the Heat treatment done while fitting the Tint.

Everyother dealer would readily fit the same.
FE has been on lower side for me in City, around 13, or even 12 at times with FULL AC , and In City riding.

I have kept a NIKON CAMERA Leather BAG just ahead of gear lever and the vacant space below dash, its a rectangular black coloured bag which fits in the slot perfectly.

The Door visor looks good from Rear, but i personally did not like the vertical drooping extension which also might be blocking the already restricted view due to A pillar.

I would recommend you to buy a Sun visor organisor, it worth 75rs and of good quality.
I have completed 950kms in 1.5 months.

Who is the best dealer for TATA cars in PUNE?

Last edited by silverado : 10th May 2011 at 03:23. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 10th May 2011, 10:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on both the cars!
For the Nano, is the LHS ORVM available as an accessory?
Old 10th May 2011, 10:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi self-drive,

Congratulations for your both cars, The TATA Nano and The Honda Jazz. What a fantastic review, loved reading. Please add more picturs of your car and keep the thread updated regularly. Wishing you several years of happy and safe driving.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

"H"earty Congrats selfdrive on your latest acquisitions.

I am pretty sure you are working on this, but can't wait to see your Jazz pics and a short review on the same. Please post it at the earliest.
Old 10th May 2011, 12:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Selfdrive! I did not notice that your ownership report is up - and that too like a 2-DVD pack. Some more details on the Jazz + some pictures would be excellent. Afterall, that is the first car right?
Old 10th May 2011, 12:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
CONGRATULATIONS.......on NANO
I will be soon moving to MH-12 territory with my MH-03 NANO LX.

I have kept a NIKON CAMERA Leather BAG just ahead of gear lever and the vacant space below dash, its a rectangular black coloured bag which fits in the slot perfectly.

The Door visor looks good from Rear, but i personally did not like the vertical drooping extension which also might be blocking the already restricted view due to A pillar.

I would recommend you to buy a Sun visor organisor, it worth 75rs and of good quality. I have completed 950kms in 1.5 months.
Who is the best dealer for TATA cars in PUNE?
Hi silverado, welcome to this neck of the woods! The bag is a good idea, I will definitely consider doing this. Till date I have realised that most of the stuff is bulkier, hence takes up a part of the rear seat. Thats ok, as we are max 3 people in the car.
As for the door visor, some SA recommended it to my wife. We agree that it blocks vision, and she is considering getting the front swooping parts chopped off or removed entirely.
We have completed 980kms in around a month, and due for first service soon! I dont know about the "best" dealer here; the only one I know is Pandit Autmotive at Tilak Road.
I hope we will meet at one of the tapri meets to discuss the Nano further!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Congratulations on both the cars!
For the Nano, is the LHS ORVM available as an accessory?
Thanks S_U_N, I was informed by the showroom guys this is not available. I need to check the aftermarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Hi self-drive,
Congratulations for your both cars, The TATA Nano and The Honda Jazz. What a fantastic review, loved reading. Please add more picturs of your car and keep the thread updated regularly. Wishing you several years of happy and safe driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
"H"earty Congrats selfdrive on your latest acquisitions. I am pretty sure you are working on this, but can't wait to see your Jazz pics and a short review on the same. Please post it at the earliest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations Selfdrive! I did not notice that your ownership report is up - and that too like a 2-DVD pack. Some more details on the Jazz + some pictures would be excellent. Afterall, that is the first car right?
@bluevolt, Vik0728, vb-san
thanks guys! I am still working on the next set. There is not much to write actually, so probably I will just let the pics do the talking. I expect to update it in the next couple of days. I ended up installing seat covers in the aftermarket, but I am not so pleased (actually read ) with my selection. I guess this is why people dont let me select colours/ designs anywhere
Old 10th May 2011, 16:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

An image of the Jazz

EDIT: Tried uploading from the TBHP app and it works like a dream, woohoo

Though I have forgotten to check the size of this image, can someone tell me how I can verify after the image is uploaded? I hope it is within the size limit.

MODS: please dont count this as an infraction if the size is a tad more than allowed; just consider it as User Acceptance Testing!
Attached Images

Last edited by selfdrive : 10th May 2011 at 16:56.
Old 10th May 2011, 19:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Selfdrive! Interesting choice of vehicles! You've got both the cheapest and most expensive hatch in the market!

Looking forward to more updates on both.
Old 11th May 2011, 01:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Yes Selfdrive, let me know and i will be there for a TAPRI meet.

LEFT side Mirror aftermarket, i have not heard of any, we just need to wait for Nano diesel and hope it comes with one.

Also even though LX comes with 2 bottle holders they can only hold 500ml bottles, i am planning to stitch a JALI type bottle holder just ahead of the front left door which can hold 1 ltr bottle.

So which one is more spacious, the Nano or the Jazz?
IMO Jazz is an excellent allround vehicle, i really like the mutiple ways in which the rear seat can be used.

Any plans to fit a Music system to Nano? what were the dealer options given to you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks