Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:46   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tyre/ puncture issues on a pre owned Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

1. The guy who fixed the punctures recommended that if I face a puncture with this tyre again I should insert a tube in it. Is this correct advice?
This seems to be their standard advice- please ignore it Why do you want to convert a nice tubeless tyre to one with a tube? Many years back (pre T-BHP) a local tyrewallah put in a tube into my OE Bridgestones. Later my SA at Trident Hyundai showed me that he had actually put in a wrong size

Quote:
2. In both cases of punctures, the valve was damaged and had to be replaced. Is this normal for tubeless tyres or is the guy pulling a fast one on me? Or is it because I have driven for too long without noticing the punctures, why does this happen?
Standard practice again. Usually punctures are far apart and the piece is cheap anyway so it doesn't matter- might as well change it.

Quote:
3. As the Goodyears (175/65 R15) have run 28K kms, should I consider changing them now? The general advise I have received is they are good till 40K kms. Based on the tread, a couple of guys have recommended that I can use them for another 15K kms.
In general frequent punctures may be a sign that your tyres are approaching their best-by date. But yes you can probably squeeze out another 10-12K from them before they are completely unsafe to use.

Quote:
4. If I decide to change the set, is there any impact of monsoons/ rains on a new set? Is there an idela time of the year for doing this? I am unsure if the existing set will be niggle free during the monsoons especially as I will driving outside town too.
If you are not in any immediate danger (doesn't seem like) I suggest you see out the monsoons and then put in new tyres. But if it's preying on your mind, you must change them right away- new tyres will help your cause on wet and slippery terrain!

Quote:
Or am I thinking too much into it just because I want to upgrade to Michelin XM1s?!
Nothing wrong with that
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
Proper time to change: absolutely no idea, me changed before monsoon. Best is to upgrade after you shift to your new apartment. There you would be having safe parking.
Wish my reply helps you.
Certainly, your response helps me,; I guess I will defer this till I change my apartment (which since January is expected to be complete 'next month!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
For the remaining from above, you should change the tyres. these amounts of punctures are unacceptable.
the conditions you have described are not that bad to warrant such failures. all weather is good weather for a change.
Certainly will change them, just that I was a bit unsure of driving on these during the monsoons. I dont want to get stuck in teh ghats changing tyres when it is so beautiful otherwise. I could use that time to eat bhajiya & chai instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
How bad is the 5th wheel? If it is good then one of the problems is solved by using it. Inserting a tube into a tire may just delay a flat tire in case of puncture. What punctures a thick tubeless tire can puncture a tube too.
The spare is quite unused, but it seems like it had a major puncture early on and was actually one of the original tyres. It has a patch on a sidewall; I have asked the dealer to give me another tyre from his pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Standard practice again. Usually punctures are far apart and the piece is cheap anyway so it doesn't matter- might as well change it.
That guy charged me 200 bucks for the valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
In general frequent punctures may be a sign that your tyres are approaching their best-by date. But yes you can probably squeeze out another 10-12K from them before they are completely unsafe to use.

If you are not in any immediate danger (doesn't seem like) I suggest you see out the monsoons and then put in new tyres. But if it's preying on your mind, you must change them right away- new tyres will help your cause on wet and slippery terrain!
Nothing wrong with that
I dont want to wait till they are unsafe. I think I will keep them for the next 2K kms (no long drives planned till July) and see what happens.
Perhaps I am just wary of driving on this set on the ghats (Tamhini etc). At the same time, I dont want to 'waste' the new set during the monsoon rightaway
Another point is the budget; currently there are other things on the mind; I have to fix a scratch/ dent but the insurance policy is not yet in my name. So a bit of a catch 22 there as I may have to pay from my pocket for that too.

EDIT: I would like to clarify that I have no issues while braking etc and have not noticed any lack of grip whatsoever. It is only the frequency of the punctures that is a disturbing thought. I will try to change my parking area and keep an eye for the next few weeks

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd June 2011 at 17:03.
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:11   #48
BHPian

Quote:
That guy charged me 200 bucks for the valve

I am quite sure that in 200 we can get 4 set of valves. Every body learns a lesson hard way, i learnt it by paying 100 rs for the same valve when i was noob to things related to car.
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:13   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

@self: Sorry, couldnt resist this, but..... for all you know, the grip and the braking may be a LOT better than what you are experiencing right now...
one last thing though, its just one or 2 particular tyres that are repeatedly losing air?
Cheerios!!
Old 4th June 2011, 10:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

Well, I have driven another jazz (around 9k on the odo) and didn't experience any major difference in the handling or grip. That said I will still prefer to change the set as soon as I can

Till date only these 2 tyres have puncture issues. I haven't observed any air loss issues yet
Old 4th June 2011, 10:30   #51
Senior - BHPian

Selfdrive,
My tyres were losing 2psi over the span of 1-2 weeks. Took it to Darshan tyres on nagar road. He showed me the valves and the neck has cracks.
I have replaced the valves on all of my 4 tyres. I was charged Rs 100 per valve. I had puncture in the rear right tyre, the nail got stuck in the tyre and I was driving with it, for many days. Got it fixed @ Rs 75. Nitrogen refill for 4 tyres @ Rs 150. I paid a total of Rs 600.
Old 4th June 2011, 12:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

re: Nano and all that Jazz EDIT: Both of them SOLD!

GoodYear's are the crappiest tires (along with JK ) in my opinion.
I had those on my Santro and had a horrible experience with punctures and they were worn out in just 25K Kms. After that, I changed to Michelin XM1+ and it was one of the best things I did - no punctures, better grip, better ride and less noise

That's why I was very particular about getting Michelin's on my Jazz. Honda has different vendors - GoodYear, Michelin etc. I insisted on Michelin's before taking the delivery and I waited impatiently for 10 days for those tires. Fortunately, the next lot of cars had Michelin's and I got what I wanted.

Simple advice - Throw away the JK's and get Michelin XM1+. Believe me, the ride and handling will improve for sure. Worth the money. One more reason to change - may be the crfap JK's still have some life left, so you can get some money in exchange of those. If they are totally worn out, you won't get a penny. Hope it helps!
Old 4th June 2011, 12:51   #53
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
GoodYear's are the crappiest tires (along with JK ) in my opinion.
I had those on my Santro and had a horrible experience with punctures and they were worn out in just 25K Kms. After that, I changed to Michelin XM1+ and it was one of the best things I did - no punctures, better grip, better ride and less noise

That's why I was very particular about getting Michelin's on my Jazz. Honda has different vendors - GoodYear, Michelin etc. I insisted on Michelin's before taking the delivery and I waited impatiently for 10 days for those tires. Fortunately, the next lot of cars had Michelin's and I got what I wanted.
I too had asked for Michelin while buying my Jazz - but unfortunately the ones that the dealer had were with Goodyear, so I had to reluctantly go with them. Since then, I have done 27500km till now, taking it to remote areas in Kinnaur in Himachal to the mess that is Agra bypass and stretches between Gwalior and Jhansi; but apart from the noise factor, they have actually served me quite well, and the treads look good for another 20k at least. Till date, I have had just one puncture, a nail, that was happily residing in one of the rear tyres for no idea how long. I noticed it only when the car was lifted during the last service and I was checking the underbody and the tyres. This was in March, and I had my last air fill prior to that in December before our Kolkata trip! So to summarize, the goodyears have served me rather well so far.

Last edited by akp : 4th June 2011 at 12:53.
Old 21st June 2011, 16:10   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Simple advice - Throw away the JK's and get Michelin XM1+. Believe me, the ride and handling will improve for sure. Worth the money. One more reason to change - may be the crfap JK's still have some life left, so you can get some money in exchange of those. If they are totally worn out, you won't get a penny. Hope it helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Till date, I have had just one puncture, a nail, that was happily residing in one of the rear tyres for no idea how long. I noticed it only when the car was lifted during the last service and I was checking the underbody and the tyres. This was in March, and I had my last air fill prior to that in December before our Kolkata trip! So to summarize, the goodyears have served me rather well so far.
Thanks gents! I have had no recurrence of the punctures so I have safely attributed the flats to the parking area. I have since changed to another secure parking area within my building (one which I was too lazy to reverse into earlier!)

Another reason for deferring the tyre change is that some other priorities have come up and occupied the funds which I kept aside earlier. As this has happened twice, I have now decided that I wont save any money for the tyres and will instead spend it on a weekend getaway somewhere, talk about twisted logic
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:53   #55
Senior - BHPian

Selfdrive,
What's the update dent/scratch removal ? Did you get the painting/touch up job ?
Old 23rd June 2011, 22:23   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. The guy who fixed the punctures recommended that if I face a puncture with this tyre again I should insert a tube in it. Is this correct advice?

2. In both cases of punctures, the valve was damaged and had to be replaced. Is this normal for tubeless tyres or is the guy pulling a fast one on me? Or is it because I have driven for too long without noticing the punctures, why does this happen?
Sorry for late reply, but stay away from road-side tyre repair shops on Paud Road. They have a habit of making such remarks/comments in order to generate more business for themselves from unsuspecting customers.

Please use tyre shops on Paud road who sell branded(Indian & international) tyres. Most of these shops have experienced mechanics (not necessarily experts) & at least serve in a manner that they have/get repeat customers.
Old 24th June 2011, 11:24   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Selfdrive,
What's the update dent/scratch removal ? Did you get the painting/touch up job ?
No sir, not yet. There is an issue with the insurance policy still being in the name of the first owner. I have now applied for insurance with another provider, and will get it fixed later in a few weeks time.
Till then, a guy selling some quick fix solution at one of the petrol pumps (IIRC, near Bavdhan) tried to cover it up. Most of the scratches have disappeared, so ok for now. Still need to get the dent fixed though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Sorry for late reply, but stay away from road-side tyre repair shops on Paud Road. They have a habit of making such remarks/comments in order to generate more business for themselves from unsuspecting customers.

Please use tyre shops on Paud road who sell branded(Indian & international) tyres. Most of these shops have experienced mechanics (not necessarily experts) & at least serve in a manner that they have/get repeat customers.
+1 sir. Unfortunately I learnt this the difficult way. However that would also mean I will remember the lesson longer!
Do you recommend any specific shops on Paud road?
Also, we should meet up sometime while I am still living in Bhusari colony, I will pm you my contact number shortly
Old 24th June 2011, 12:05   #58
BHPian

@ SelfDrive -

Lovely story indeed.

This is the kind of practical stories that really stand out.

No fancy gimmicks, no over the top expectations.
No ridiculous confused dreams.

Clear cut well defined objectives.
Right research.
Logical reasoning
&
thus good decisions.

Very SENSIBLE.

Kudos to you for that.

What I really liked is the way you have 'fairly' reviewed the Nano. Not started on a negative or defensive note. Respected it for what it is, accepted it & then reviewed it after using it in any possible condition.
This is the exact purpose Tata had in mind and it does the job excellently.
Others just tend to negate it or pile on it with all kinds of heaps of unrealistic arguments.

Again, Hats off to you for that.

& above all Congratulations! What a LOVELY deal ! Indeed ... Team BHP rocks and thanks to it - you and your better-half are comfortably settled.

Have a nice time.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 14:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

An update on mileage during the rainy season (75% b2b traffic, 75% AC)
Nano - 15.5 (tankful method)
Jazz - 12.7 (tankful method) and 13.5 (MID)

For the Nano, is this normal or are there any specific tips? The SA at the first service mentioned that the next service is at 10K kms and we are currently only around 1600 kms. I guess I was expecting mileage around 17

With the Jazz, I am aware that I am revving a bit too much. But what the heck, kpl isnt everything. After all, I should practice the product tagline a bit!

Its funny how I think about the mileage on one but not so much on the other. I guess thats how a workhorse is distinguished from a racehorse?

Another open question about the horns on the Jazz. I think the stock horns are alright, but I am tempted to be louder (as people are deafer!). Can I keep the stock one and go for another legal one, perhaps using a switch?
Old 27th June 2011, 15:08   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An update on mileage during the rainy season (75% b2b traffic, 75% AC)
Nano - 15.5 (tankful method)
Jazz - 12.7 (tankful method) and 13.5 (MID)

For the Nano, is this normal or are there any specific tips? The SA at the first service mentioned that the next service is at 10K kms and we are currently only around 1600 kms. I guess I was expecting mileage around 17

With the Jazz, I am aware that I am revving a bit too much. But what the heck, kpl isnt everything. After all, I should practice the product tagline a bit!

Its funny how I think about the mileage on one but not so much on the other. I guess thats how a workhorse is distinguished from a racehorse?

Another open question about the horns on the Jazz. I think the stock horns are alright, but I am tempted to be louder (as people are deafer!). Can I keep the stock one and go for another legal one, perhaps using a switch?
I understand your "racehorse" bit.
Initially i too used to religiously record my odo readings, cost of fuel, litres and calculate mileage.
but then realized, hey, im having fun driving.
and what will i do with the data?
never going for alternate fuel,or public transport, or use the other car or bike.
cheap or not, im still going to be driving this, so i've stopped recording.
I just take a note that the dte doesnt go below 470 at a tankfull.

'bout your horns, get a pair of branded windtones.
loud enough, and legal enough.
2 sets of horns may require a level of jugaad, as spare mount points may not be available.
then the wiring piece for the switch, and the switch itself.....
but hey, i might be talking through my hat here...

Last edited by mayankk : 27th June 2011 at 15:12.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed