Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:09   #16
BHPian

Re: 2005 Mercedes E270 CDI - Good buy?

The deal has been made. The car today visited the Mercedes A S S and Rs.4000 (for a Technical Evaluation) and 6 hours later the car has been given a clean bill of health. All that was reported was that the 60k km service had not been done in the Mercedes A S S but has been done outside which we were aware of. The rear disc pads need replacement along with the Air filter element. There were minor electrical faults with regard to a loose connection in the brake lights which were fixed in the technical inspection.

The rear disc pads were quoted at Rs.12000 and the Air filter element at Rs.4000 at the A S S. I was also recommended to perform the 60k km service at the A S S to maintain a perfect record as every other service was done there. The 60k km service costs between Rs.40000-45000 and includes the following -

Engine Oil
Brake Fluid
Oil Filter
Air Filter
A/C Filter (if needed)
Wheel Balancing
Wheel Alignment
Automatic Transmission Fluid

The Automatic Transmission Fluid alone costs Rs.15000 I am told. Which I find hard to believe. I am in half a mind to get the service done outside at an independent garage who specializes in imports and start with a clean slate rather than spend Rs.45000 at the A S S.

Can fellow BHPians please advice.

@fre2bpowerless - Sorry to hear about your problems with Mercedes. The brake failure at high speed certainly sounds scary! I think your particular car had these issue or these issues might have cropped up before they replaced the Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC) unit. This was an issue world wide uptil the 2003 model if I am not mistaken. There was a recall where they addressed this issue and cars from 2005 onwards were supposed to have come with the revised SBC unit. I will double check to make sure the SBC on this car has been attended to.

Would you mind elaborating on the AC issues and the other small niggles you might have had. I just want to make sure these problems are corrected at the earliest. Don''t want to wait till they fail.

EDIT - Mods since the car has now been purchased and I am planning to have a thread dedicated to the Mercedes E270 CDI would you rather I start a new thread or should you move this to a more appropriate section?

Last edited by flipsyde : 2nd May 2011 at 20:11.
Old 3rd May 2011, 03:35   #17
BHPian

Cars made till 2006 has issues with the SBC (recall 2). I wasn't aware of the recall till later, my car wasn't called in nor were there any changes/upgrades. Getting clarity from Merc would be good, one problem averted.

Small stuff may crop up but don't try to fix something thats not broken

Congrats to your friend
Old 4th May 2011, 22:14   #18
BHPian

Fresh updates on the car. Apparently both front torque strut bushes are in need of replacement soon and this would set us back 18k per side + Labour at the A S S. This is because we have to replace the whole Torque Strut and not just the bushings.

Can any one please tell me where I can look for parts outside the A S S. Anywhere in Chennai where I can start the hunt?

@fre2bpowerless - Thanks for the heads up. Will have that checked asap.
Old 5th May 2011, 14:43   #19
BHPian

Flipsyde, if you still have an option, back off from the deal even if you lose some money. I know you are speaking for your friend. If he's got 17L for 6 yr old car then he could go for loan and buy new 3 or c. Interest rates are very good for these expensive deals. I do not understand how the badge can such a love inspite of owners/experts report of frequent failures. He can never go wrong with Accord. Bring him on the forum. Let him read about 100 pages of ownerships reviews. Sorry for the post, but just cannot see 17L to go into this.
Old 5th May 2011, 15:31   #20
BHPian

A change of the gearbox mount and engine mounts should help with general harshness heard / felt on the inside of the car.

Don't stock on too many spares and spend the money unnecessarily. If things go well, hopefully some of the parts you mentioned like a/c compressor etc won't need to be changed in a hurry.

Get the immediate service done at the *** to get your service history completed. While MB will charge way more than any workshop outside, it is likely to be worth it for the moment.
Old 5th May 2011, 17:42   #21
BHPian

Update again. The deal was frozen at 14.5L. And we have taken possession of the car. The only thing which I hadn't mentioned earlier was that the insurance was 3rd party which is now being renewed for comprehensive. The IDV value is 13.5L for which this years premium is 32k. The insurance provider is Future Generali.

@blackbeast - Its a little hard to explain but for some people the badge comes first. A whole new topic the more we get into that And also to clarify the amount was not paid in cash, there was a loan component and my friend could not have stretch anymore.

@ravi - As of now no expenses planned expect maybe just a complete change of fluids and the air filter. We will take them as it comes.

Thanks to everyone for their valuable opinions.
Old 6th May 2011, 04:04   #22
BHPian

Congratulations

Now, the 14.5L sounds bit realistic. So, what is the interest charged.I remember once merc/bmw gave 3 p.a. not sure through which bank. That is for new car ofcourse. Is it time for some pics ??
Old 6th May 2011, 10:52   #23
BHPian

Best of luck with the car! The german cars grow on you rather quickly as you'll find. Enjoy.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:59   #24
BHPian

E 270 CDIs are problematic. The 280s are much more reliable. Crankshaft Damper Pulleys are prone to failure on this car and will cost you nothing less than 45,000 to replace. Dirty MAF sensors can cause the car engine to shudder and jerk intermittently. This can also damage engine mounts.
Old 8th May 2011, 10:26   #25
BHPian

Hi,

I own a 1996 W124 E220.

I generally do all my service at Giri Car care which is off Jawaharlal Nehru Road, (opp to Aishwarya Kalayana Mandapam) near MMDA Signal. I am a customer here for the last 18 months and find the charges very reasonable. I advise you to buy the replacement parts by yourself. You can get this from a place called Benz Auto Spares in Wellington Plaza, Anna Salai. If you need anything more, send me a IM.

Vasanth
Old 8th May 2011, 10:41   #26
BHPian

@ravi, blackbeast - Thank you guys for your input. I feel it was a very good deal for 14.5L.

@thermalpaste - I do understand that being a 6 year old Merc its bound to have some issues especially coming from an era where reliability wasn't their forte. As of now the A S S says the car is running just fine. All that needs replacement is the Torque Strut bushes in the front and rear brake pads both of which I will set about sourcing outside.

@vasanth - I service my car close to that place. Its called HI REV. I spoke to them and they said they can handle the repairs and replacements. Thats said I will PM you for details of Giri Car Care. I have been to Benz Auto Spares a number of times but I am not sure if they stock parts for the newed Mercs. Will check though. Thanks!
Old 9th May 2011, 09:03   #27
BHPian

Would you mind posting some pics of the beauty? Been reading about her from quite some time
Old 9th May 2011, 16:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Chennai cars are normally well maintained. Price ideally should be 15lacs. Since the car is used 65k and 6 years all the initial problems, including the SRS etc have been sorted out. Ensure that the suspension/brakes/electricals are in good order, do a diagnostic check.
She will give good service. offcourse the face lift post july'06 E280cdi's are better and more dependable cars, but quote at 20+
Just curious to know Scooby - How did you say that Chennai based Mercs are well maintained?
Old 10th March 2014, 20:04   #29
BHPian

buying a 2009 e 220 cdi merc

Guys,

Am about to buy a 2009 e220 cdi merc for 18 lakhs from benz itself. Company owned and clocked about 80k kms at the moment.

Suggestions and advice on the same will be appreciated.
Old 10th March 2014, 20:35   #30
BHPian

Re: buying a 2009 e 220 cdi merc

are you being offered some sort of a warranty with the deal?

80k km, 5 yrs old.

You have not mentioned what trim line it is, no. of owners etc..

18 lakhs sounds a bit on the higher side. I would probably ask around a bit because when the new c comes out later this year this car would be about 2 gen old.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks