Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2013, 12:29   #136
BHPian

Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow Bhpians

Firstly I'd like to apologize for trying to revive an old thread. However, the main issue discussed so well here is exactly what I'm facing currently. And starting a new thread for my conundrum would be unproductive. I have a 2005 Corolla done about 91k and I'm aching to replace it. No issues with the car I must say. Its good for another couple of years but the itch is getting difficult to ignore. We have another car a 2010 City @ 42k and serving us fine. The really issue is our usage. See 50% of the time the new car will be chauffeur driven for my dad. The rest of the time it'll be used by all of us for our outings, vacations and highway purpose and even city errands. We are a family of 4 adults and an infant

The fix I'm facing is what car to go for. I've come to appreciate the reliability and overall ownership costs of the Japanese i.e. Toyotas and Hondas. But both their current offerings Camry (Pricing issues) and Accord (Lack of equipments plus don't know what the future holds for this model) are uninspiring. Though I don't mind another Honda in terms of Accord

Coming to the germans. The Superb is a viable options but considering a new launch in 2014 is a bit of a damper. Plus the *** and DSG stories make me hesitant. The holy trinity of BMW, Audi and Merc are off the reservations largely due to their price and lack of comfort for back seated people.

Passat is a viable option but call me lame but there aren't many I see in my city plus there aren't any full bodied ownership threads for the passat here on Team bhp that may imbibe confidence. The official review is neither here nor there in my opinion.

And to add to the confusion is the consideration of TFort. I know it isn't exactly a chauffeur driven alternative but in terms of comfort, safety and over all usage it fits the bill. Than there the Q3. But am not decided on it yet 'cause the price is a bit prohibitive.

What I need from fellow members is their opinions on my situation plus any new information they can share on the following upcoming model listed below:

1.) Octavia?
2.) Superb 2013?
3.) Honda CRV?
4.) Accord (strictly a diesel option)?
5.) Any other option coming up which might help me decide.

Please feel free to share all your opinions as I am really dwelling on this issue since last 8 months and now would like to finalize something.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th February 2013, 12:55   #137
BHPian

ABS 182. as you have ruled out the holy trinity and your even considering the T-Fort, so thats another segment, nevertheless, the Passat is the car that comes to mind and would fit the requirements you have and followed by the Camry. The passat being rare in your city is a good thing and you probably would like the exclusivity (so to speak).

The new CRV is to be launched, under 29 lacs and the rexton (only a handful around) is already here, besides the T-Fort. If its SUV, i would go for the new CRV or the Fortuner, if not the Passat.
Old 6th February 2013, 14:44   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
ABS 182. as you have ruled out the holy trinity and your even considering the T-Fort, so thats another segment, nevertheless, the Passat is the car that comes to mind and would fit the requirements you have and followed by the Camry. The passat being rare in your city is a good thing and you probably would like the exclusivity (so to speak).

The new CRV is to be launched, under 29 lacs and the rexton (only a handful around) is already here, besides the T-Fort. If its SUV, i would go for the new CRV or the Fortuner, if not the Passat.
Well thanks for your reply. The main reason against the holy trinity is comfort of the rear passengers. With an infant soon to find her legs I think seating 3 people behind in a 3, A4 or a C-class will not be comfortable. The T-fort being a different category still feels like an ideal all rounder. The Passat is something I will closely look at in the coming days but the phrase 'safety in numbers' comes to mind that's the only thing playing on my mind 'cause of its rarity. Also I have an inkling that should the Germans need to pop open their hoods for the any reason they'll end up poping my jaw open too !

but nevertheless passat is definitely short listed. Any idea on the CRV launch date? and a Honda Accord diesel launch possibility? Thanks for your inputs though. Appreciate it.
Old 24th February 2013, 22:22   #139
BHPian

Well I really am in a soup now. Went to check the TFort and unwittingly found out that its costs almost 25 lacs on road with company Rto registration. Plus they say that after the budget the prices will again go up due to higher diesel tax planned. Now at this price point it really makes me consider whether the TFort with all its durability and longitivity worth it. Also I read on this forum that they are also planning to overhaul the interiors soon. Now the petrol crv suddenly is looking reasonable as there's a 1.75 lacs price difference between them for the lowest CRV MT model and 4x2 TFort. Somebody please suggest me how do I go about this dicision please.
Old 24th February 2013, 23:13   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Well do keep in mind the running costs of the CRV would be much higher compared to the Tfort right from fuel to after sales. A constant FE of 5-6 kmpl at best might start getting in the way of those long trips that you might have in mind with the car. Again if you are really keen on getting a petrol SUV than why not also check out the Outlander? Costs less, as reliable as the others and is exclusive too.

In sedans I would pick the Passat without a doubt. Superb is up for a change and also way too common for my liking. Also may be consider the Jetta which would again save you some cash over its bigger sibling.

Do check out the Merceded B class too. You may find it fit your requirements to quite an extent.
Old 25th February 2013, 00:26   #141
BHPian

Try Renault Koleos. A friend has bought it and is super happy with it. Has premium features, optional 4x4, automatic transmission, Bose music system, Stanley leather seats et all and quite economical too, according to him.
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:27   #142
BHPian

If you're looking for SUVs then the new Mahindra Rexton is a nice one, and of course the Merc B Class in the crossovers...

I'll NOT recommend the BMW X1 at all; just after a test-drive I knew that I'd never waste 30L on such a dumb one!

There's Accord with peppy V6 engine, and of course the VW Passat HL as well.

If you're in Bangalore, be prepared to pay very steep road taxes, and on-road Passat will be 32L+, and B Class starts at 28L and goes up to 31L for the top-end.
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:17   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post

1.) Octavia?
2.) Superb 2013?
3.) Honda CRV?

Please feel free to share all your opinions as I am really dwelling on this issue since last 8 months and now would like to finalize something.

Thanks in advance.

1) This Octavia, is worth waiting for it will be more comfortable than the Corolla and lower in profile than the other options

2) AFAIK, there is a FL Superb for this year. A new one coming out next year. A manual transmission petrol one may be ideal for you. The diesel model does not warrant the price difference IMO, but considering its life cycle I'd stay away from it.

3) I checked it out, I do not like it at all. The rear seat comfort is iffy at best. The manual transmission version is slow and the autobox is highly un-inspired

4) Accord is available in petrol only AFAIK. I looked at the car this weekend and while it is large, nice, comfortable it is lacking rather severely in the feature department. Especially considering its price and resale value. Maybe a newish pre-owned one can be considered. You can get them for a song.

5) Look at the Passat. It may not be a bad bet

I am in a similar dilemma as you. Family of five adults who need to replace an aging Innova. We looked at the Fortuner and refused to consider it due to its price, lack of basic safety. Its fit and finish, comfort and off roading skills are also highly questionable when one considers the competition. The Mahindra Rexton has better seats for petes sake. We are waiting for the Fluidic Santa Fe to be launched in India. I would highly recommend you do the same. Especially considering how important ease of ownership and peace of mind are for you. However, in our case, the Octavia may win out in the end considering it will be cheaper and better equipped (as long as it can seat 5 people in relative comfort).

Last edited by imp! : 22nd March 2013 at 11:22.
Old 6th April 2013, 12:59   #144
BHPian

I would beg to offer a slightly different opinion here.

1. Please please do not buy a skoda! It will end up costing you more than a merc/bmw at the end of 5 years. Skodas also have the most uncomfortable seats. Agreed the Superb is comfortable but its the last thing you wanna consider if you're looking for "fun drive" as one of the priorities. Please look through the forums. People have posted absolutely Horrific experiences with skoda including team bhp themselves posting an article on this topic.

2. Many people seem to be suggesting the passat. I would recommend if your budget allows you to go for a passat, buy a 320d F30 base model instead. Here's why

- It's the most fun to drive car under 50 Lacs. Its also the Fastest 0-100 this side of 50L.
- Will cost you about the same as a passat HL. The ex showroom price as off now is 29-30.5 lacs depending on your city. And all dealers at this point are offering a minimum 2 lacs discount on this car (I just bought one).
- The BMW rear seat is very comfortable. It will obviously not give you the kind of space that the superb will but its still very comfortable unlike all earlier models and the best in class compared to Audi and mercedes.
- BMW offers the best possible after sales service package in the form of BMW SERVICE INCLUSIVE (BSI). This is an industry benchmark and no body else is offering this yet. It's an absolutely no nonsense package that'll probably never ever give you a headache throughout your ownership years.
- it comes will all the goodies you would get in a passat or superb (except sunroof).
- it comes with the idrive unlike all other cars you're considering. This puts the in car functions/entertainment at a whole new level.
- the maintainence will cost you slightly more than the passat. A service will cost about 15-18k every 15000 km. the passat costs about 10-12k.
- A BMW 320d will fetch you a much better resale price at the end of your ownership vis-a-vis a passat costing the same amount.
- You get the badge. Wether you like it or not. You will get a lot of attention.
- The Bmw will last you those extra years which a skoda certainly won't.

If I were you, I'd stretch my budget slightly more and buy the bmw base model.
Old 6th April 2013, 17:36   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Firstly I'd like to apologize for trying to revive an old thread. However, the main issue discussed so well here is exactly what I'm facing currently. And starting a new thread for my conundrum would be unproductive. I have a 2005 Corolla done about 91k and I'm aching to replace it. No issues with the car I must say. Its good for another couple of years but the itch is getting difficult to ignore. We have another car a 2010 City @ 42k and serving us fine. The really issue is our usage. See 50% of the time the new car will be chauffeur driven for my dad. The rest of the time it'll be used by all of us for our outings, vacations and highway purpose and even city errands. We are a family of 4 adults and an infant

1.) Octavia?
2.) Superb 2013?
3.) Honda CRV?

Thanks in advance.
There are two options I would like to recommend:
- Skoda Superb Ambition TDi DSG: The superb is the ultimate as a family car. As a package, even after so many years, no other competitor can match the superb as an all-round vehicle keeping in mind the interior quality, value, practicality, safety, highway manners, and levels of comfort. The diesel has been quite tried and tested now, across various models, and the same holds true for the six-speed DSG gearbox (the seven-speed was the problematic one IIRC).
A trip to Goa along with a few friends (and BHP-ians) in a diesel Superb truly opened up my eyes to what a fantastic car this truly is - and also part of the reason for us picking up a Laura L&K a few months back as well.

If you are willing to consider a base Ambition trim, there are fantastic discounts available (upto 4.5L off IIRC on the diesel A/T), which make the car even better value (to offset the non-Jap reliability). The new model might come with a FL and a few added features, but you would lose out on the discounts as well. If I were in the market today, I would definitely pick up the Superb if I had similar needs, given that you seem to want a Diesel A/T. Also, the A.S.S. seems to be improving - at least in Mumbai with more positive reports turning up.

The Passat makes sense if you would be driving primarily, and the big 3 should be left for another day. The A4 is becoming quite old in the tooth and even with the facelift isn't terribly exciting - the superb has a better engine/gearbox combo + loads more space, the C Class is quite over-priced and spare costs are a nightmare (this is an assumption based on the maintenance costs of our E Class). Similarly, the 3 series would have been a terrific option, but since you are not the primary driver and would need the added bout of practicality and space, I would not recommend one.

- Hyundai Sonata: Another option I would strongly recommend is the Sonata. It might be a petrol, but the looks, interiors, feature list are truly class leading. Expect a soft suspension similar to the Japanese competition which will provide superb ride quality, along with outstanding reliability and cost of maintenance.
Check out the T-BHP review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html

Another option worth exploring are low-mileage pre-owned cars. You should be able to get low mileage and well kept 5 series, E classes, X3, Q5's within your budget that should satisfy your needs. However, don't expect sterling reliability (look for cars still within warranty period), low maintenance costs (it still is a 50L car - expect spares to be priced accordingly). And be prepared to do a thorough check before signing the dotted line. These cars would offer terrific value as they have already taken the maximum brunt of depreciation, and are truly a class above the Camry, and Superb, and such.
Old 8th April 2013, 11:04   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
There are two options I would like to recommend:
- Skoda Superb Ambition TDi DSG: The superb is the ultimate as a family car.
Thanks for your input. The skoda was a prime candidate honestly but I had horrible experience with their sales team on my inquiry about the superb. One more option I've added to the list is the BMW X3. Any idea about its ability to fulfill my above mentioned requirements. Thanks for your inputs once again.
abs182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 11:56   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your input. The skoda was a prime candidate honestly but I had horrible experience with their sales team on my inquiry about the superb. One more option I've added to the list is the BMW X3. Any idea about its ability to fulfill my above mentioned requirements. Thanks for your inputs once again.

That is a big issue with all dealerships. I have had the same experience recently with Honda, VW and Skoda based on the city/vento/rapid. Surprisingly Tata have been the most proactive of the bunch trying to get me to take home a Safari.

X3 is a capable machine, but, the interior is not as plush as the 5 series or the Q5. For the price of an X3, you have many options. Do check out the 5 series/Q5/E class. The A6 can be considered as well, but I wasn't too impressed by it.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 00:10   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did you mean the X1?
I personally find that a little too cramped, and am not too excited by the design. But that aside, i've heard its pretty good with the discounts.

If you meant the X3, then that's another segment altogether.
As Imp pointed out, that's in 525d territory, and if you don't need the added ground clearance, no where as fun to drive as a 5. But yes, it is quite roomy and comfortable. A very tempting proposition if you drive on poorer roads.

However, since the primary requirement is comfort, at that price range, you could even look at the ML250 CDi, which would be much more spacious, and comfortable. However, the A.S.S. is expensive.
Old 12th April 2013, 10:09   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The fix I'm facing is what car to go for. I've come to appreciate the reliability and overall ownership costs of the Japanese

Coming to the germans. The Superb...Passat is a viable option..And to add to the confusion is the consideration of TFort.
lamborghini made some good points.

IF and only IF you can get a 5 series, E class or A6 that is sparingly used, in good condition and hopefully with part of the warranty still available they are your best options. Last year I was in the same position and the 2 cars I saw did not fulfill these criteria. Also remember TOC over 5 years for a 50L german car will be double that of a 30L Jap car. In addition to this the Big 3 often dont have spares on hand so sometimes you might have a few days wait to get your car back.

The auto industry is in doldrums. I would hence use this leverage and get a good deal from Toyota (if pricing is the only issue you have with the Camry).

You can look at what pushed me towards my decision to buy a camry here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-review.html

The Superb is a good car but the ones that are reliable are all diesel and when it comes to diesels under 30L the Passat still feels better sitting behind the steering wheel.

Last edited by navin : 12th April 2013 at 10:10.
Old 12th April 2013, 10:29   #150
BHPian

Quote:

And to add to the confusion is the consideration of TFort. I know it isn't exactly a chauffeur driven alternative but in terms of comfort, safety and over all usage it fits the bill. Than there the Q3. But am not decided on it yet 'cause the price is a bit prohibitive.

Thanks in advance.
Abs182, you've really hit the nail on the head but perhaps not noticed it. For your requirements and for anyone looking for a car in the 20-35 lakh rupees range, there is no better alternative than the Fortuner. You will get bullet proof reliability, a tall stance and commanding view and the best resale value of any of the cars mentioned. BMWs make sense but offer space only from the 5 Series onward. Spares for the VWs are disproportionately priced in India and in any case Hondas, VWs, Skodas are out of their league here when compared to the more premium German brands. An Audi A4 makes sense for you too, but it's cramped inside and costs 6-7 lakh more than the Fortuner, thus will prove less practical.

I would join the long Fortuner booking queue, without delay if I were you! It's in such great demand for good reason..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks