Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2013, 11:44   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow Bhpians

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
In Delhi you can get an A6 for 36. Man Bangalore is expensive for cars. Road quality in Bangalore must be stuff of dreams.
The difference is the taxes that Karnartaka, Maharashtra etc.. buyers pay. Delhi's roads are built using these taxes. but that is a topic for another discussion.

Last edited by navin : 16th April 2013 at 12:00.
Old 16th April 2013, 11:53   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
In Delhi you can get an A6 for 36.
You mean new? Are you sure? Then how much A4 costs? AFAIK A6 is far more costlier then 36 atleast, even in Delhi.

(Just a general knowledge query)
Old 16th April 2013, 12:08   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
You mean new? Are you sure? Then how much A4 costs? AFAIK A6 is far more costlier then 36 atleast, even in Delhi.

(Just a general knowledge query)
Ya, I was offered 36 for an A6 in December last year with still room for more negotiations on finance. These were the corporate editions mind you, the ones without the sun roof but still had all the nice stuff and the 2.0 tdi engine.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 12:29   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The CRV does not have the rear seat comfort of the Camry, Teana or Accord. In fact I find vehicles like the CRV (SUV bodies on car chassis) offer the worst of both worlds. They don't have the rear seat comfort of an equivalent sedan nor the off road capabilities of a true SUV or for that matter any better ground clearance than the sedan chassis they are based on. So you get body roll due to the taller body without the advantage of higher ground clearance. If you are intent on a SUV (and are willing to sacrifice the rear seat comfort) the Fortuner might be the best option under 30L and this side of the Freelander. Sadly the stripped down Freelander robs it of much of the fun.
I'd say one of the best SUVs south of 30 lakhs is the Nissan X-Trail.
The manual is a pleasure to drive. Beautiful handling for an SUV. Fantastic ride quality.
The rear seat is one of the best I've come across and it's a very well put together car.
I've driven one for a good couple of thousand kilometers.
When the time comes, I'd buy it without thinking.
Old 18th April 2013, 15:13   #170
Senior - BHPian

We're looking to replace our still-going-strong Civic with an exec sedan for my father and it'll be his daily ride. His everyday commute is about 22-25 kms in total and the car will be driven by our driver on the weekdays and by my father on the weekends.

Priorities are auto-box, comfortable ride, good air-conditioning and on-road price under 30L. We don't mind getting a 2012 model if the price difference is huge between a 2013 and a 2012 model.

Anyone know the latest/current offers on the 3 series, C-class or the A4?
Old 19th April 2013, 09:19   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post

All 3 are available at very very handsome discounts.

I just bought a 3 series luxury line and got a discount of 2 lacs straight away. My brother got the Base model F30'320d series (2012 make) and got a massive discount. The car cost him 26.4 lacs ex showroom + insurance + registration. Since your drive is only 22-25 km per day, I'd suggest you go for the new F30 320i or base 320d. Their ex showroom price is 27 lacs and 28.9 lacs respectively and your dealer will hopefully give you a discount of at least 1.5-1.7 lacs on the sticker price.

I also spoke with AUDI before I finalised on my BMW, they were offering similar discounts. but since my purchase in Feb, the discounts seem to have increased significantly.

I wouldn't suggest going with the merc and Audi purely because both these models are going to be replaced by 2014 hence giving you the outdated model (parts etc could be a problem) and of course you'll fetch a much lower resale price.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 10:19   #172
BHPian

Quote:
We're looking to replace our still-going-strong Civic with an exec sedan for my father and it'll be his daily ride. His everyday commute is about 22-25 kms in total and the car will be driven by our driver on the weekdays and by my father on the weekends.

Priorities are auto-box, comfortable ride, good air-conditioning and on-road price under 30L. We don't mind getting a 2012 model if the price difference is huge between a 2013 and a 2012 model.

All three are good choices, my personal preference would be the 3-Series as it is the newest and the other two are almost end of life. Another suggestion from my side, if the driving is limited to the city with occasional highway drives, you could also look into the B-class. It is a very unique car, and I am yet to see one in Ahmedabad. It is not very fast, obviously, but it is good enough for the daily commute, albeit without the prestige value of a sedan.
nipcarlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 11:01   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
All 3 are available at very very handsome discounts.

I just bought a 3 series luxury line and got a discount of 2 lacs straight away. My brother got the Base model F30'320d series (2012 make) and got a massive discount. The car cost him 26.4 lacs ex showroom + insurance + registration. Since your drive is only 22-25 km per day, I'd suggest you go for the new F30 320i or base 320d. Their ex showroom price is 27 lacs and 28.9 lacs respectively and your dealer will hopefully give you a discount of at least 1.5-1.7 lacs on the sticker price.

I also spoke with AUDI before I finalised on my BMW, they were offering similar discounts. but since my purchase in Feb, the discounts seem to have increased significantly.

I wouldn't suggest going with the merc and Audi purely because both these models are going to be replaced by 2014 hence giving you the outdated model (parts etc could be a problem) and of course you'll fetch a much lower resale price.
Thanks for the tips. Since the car will mostly be driver-driven I think backseat comfort will be very important. Did you test drive all three before you selected on the BMW? How comfortable was the ride in the BMW as compared to the other two? Since the Merc and the Audi are going to the replaced in 2014, wouldn't they be the ones with the maximum discounts? Like I said, we don't mind getting a 2012 model if the on road price falls under 25L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
All three are good choices, my personal preference would be the 3-Series as it is the newest and the other two are almost end of life. Another suggestion from my side, if the driving is limited to the city with occasional highway drives, you could also look into the B-class. It is a very unique car, and I am yet to see one in Ahmedabad. It is not very fast, obviously, but it is good enough for the daily commute, albeit without the prestige value of a sedan.
Not a big fan of the B-series. It looks good in pictures but on the roads it doesn't command presence that a Mercedes should. I have seen at least 4 of them on the roads nearby where I live - one this morning itself! Also, it's a hatchback and I am quite skeptical of the ride quality. I somehow can't picture the B-class being a part of the garage and I think my father is more inclined on sedans or at the most SUV's, but not hatchbacks. Also, the fact that we've got two of them already defies the purpose of getting a third one!

For us spending ~22-25L for the B doesn't make much logical sense when a little bit more can get you a sedan!
Old 19th April 2013, 11:13   #174
BHPian

Quote:

Not a big fan of the B-series. It looks good in pictures but on the roads it doesn't command presence that a Mercedes should. I have seen at least 4 of them on the roads nearby where I live - one this morning itself! Also, it's a hatchback and I am quite skeptical of the ride quality. I somehow can't picture the B-class being a part of the garage and I think my father is more inclined on sedans or at the most SUV's, but not hatchbacks. Also, the fact that we've got two of them already defies the purpose of getting a third one!

For us spending ~22-25L for the B doesn't make much logical sense when a little bit more can get you a sedan!
That is true, although I am amazed that you have seen 4, haven't even spotted a single one. Another choice in this range is the Volvo S60. You could look into that as well.
Old 19th April 2013, 12:00   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Since the car will mostly be driver-driven I think backseat comfort will be very important. Did you test drive all three before you selected on the BMW? How comfortable was the ride in the BMW as compared to the other two? Since the Merc and the Audi are going to the replaced in 2014, wouldn't they be the ones with the maximum discounts? Like I said, we don't mind getting a 2012 model if the on road price falls under 25L.

Backseat comfort was a priority for me as well as we're a family of 4 who often go on long road trips. I test drove all 3. Backseat comfort is more or less same in the AUDI and BMW. BMW has softer seats with better under thigh support. The merc is really really cramped. So I did not bother test driving it. The showroom visit was enough.

I'm going against my own wishes here and telling that you might wanna buy the Audi since your dad is gonna be using it. THE DSG gearbox is absolutely sublime. Even a petrolhead will never come to know of the gear changes. And steering is very very light. That may be a plus for folks over 50 years of age.

Personally why I didn't go for Audi
1. I don't like the brand. They're basically glorified VWs
2. A4 has the same engine as the Jetta. Yes Jetta!!!. I would never be able to justify to myself why I paid 13-15 lacs extra for a jetta based car. Not to mention, that makes it very slow.
3. BMW has the BSI program which is a complete headache free service program.
4. THE BMW 320d feels much better than the Audi when you drive it yourself. It makes you feel more and more confident to manoeuvre between traffic and on the highway.

As far as the backseat comfort is concerned. These 2 articles by autocar india could help.

http://www.autocarindia.com/Video/31...c-c-class.aspx

Below is the link of another separate review done by autocar. Notice the last paragraph on the last page where it says. "The new 3-series, in comparison, is an outstanding all-rounder. The generous seats and absorbent ride make it the most comfortable to sit behind the chauffeur in. When you want to play, the brilliant performance and entertaining handling are a cut above the others too."

http://www.autocarindia.com/Feature/...250-cdi.aspx/3

Hope this clears all of your doubts.

P.S : People usually tend to keep these cars for at least 5 years. So I would strongly recommend you go for the new generation models instead of going for older makes for saving 1-1.5 lacs. The same will be recovered at the time of resale and you will never feel like your driving an outdated car.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 12:29   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I'm going against my own wishes here and telling that you might wanna buy the Audi since your dad is gonna be using it. THE DSG gearbox is absolutely sublime. Even a petrolhead will never come to know of the gear changes. And steering is very very light. That may be a plus for folks over 50 years of age.
What DSG? The 2.0 comes with a CVT gearbox
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 12:50   #177
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The A4 2.0 seems to be the best bet basis the above. It is closest to a change in model and is quite fine if backseat comfort is more impt. compared to driving pleasure. (the lower power of the engine should not matter.) It does have well built interiors that actually look the best.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 13:02   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Backseat comfort was a priority for me as well as we're a family of 4 who often go on long road trips. I test drove all 3. Backseat comfort is more or less same in the AUDI and BMW. BMW has softer seats with better under thigh support. The merc is really really cramped. So I did not bother test driving it. The showroom visit was enough.

Personally why I didn't go for Audi
1. I don't like the brand. They're basically glorified VWs
2. A4 has the same engine as the Jetta. Yes Jetta!!!. I would never be able to justify to myself why I paid 13-15 lacs extra for a jetta based car. Not to mention, that makes it very slow.
3. BMW has the BSI program which is a complete headache free service program.
4. THE BMW 320d feels much better than the Audi when you drive it yourself. It makes you feel more and more confident to manoeuvre between traffic and on the highway.

As far as the backseat comfort is concerned. These 2 articles by autocar india could help.

http://www.autocarindia.com/Video/31...c-c-class.aspx

Below is the link of another separate review done by autocar. Notice the last paragraph on the last page where it says. "The new 3-series, in comparison, is an outstanding all-rounder. The generous seats and absorbent ride make it the most comfortable to sit behind the chauffeur in. When you want to play, the brilliant performance and entertaining handling are a cut above the others too."

http://www.autocarindia.com/Feature/...250-cdi.aspx/3

Hope this clears all of your doubts.

P.S : People usually tend to keep these cars for at least 5 years. So I would strongly recommend you go for the new generation models instead of going for older makes for saving 1-1.5 lacs. The same will be recovered at the time of resale and you will never feel like your driving an outdated car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The A4 2.0 seems to be the best bet basis the above. It is closest to a change in model and is quite fine if backseat comfort is more impt. compared to driving pleasure. (the lower power of the engine should not matter.) It does have well built interiors that actually look the best.
Thanks for those links. They clear out many of my doubts. From the looks of it, the C gets tossed out of the equation due to it's cramped seats and price. What remains to be seen is how appealing the test drives are on the 3 and the A4. The A4 looks like a good value-proposition from the price point and comfort levels. The article does mention the A4's relaxed driving nature over the BMW and I am assuming that will be a good selling point for our requirements.

Yes, the A4 2.0 comes with a Multitronic CVT and it's apparently an enthusiast's nightmare, but it wouldn't matter much to us since the car will mostly be driven by the driver and 90% in the city. My driver is no enthusiast and prefers driving the Jazz over the Civic!

Yes, the A4 seems to the best bet. We will be TD'ing all the cars just to have an idea of what works out to the best. The Civic's backseat comfort and driving characteristics will be used as a benchmark.
Old 19th April 2013, 13:10   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

My bad. CVT. sublime. Nonetheless. Absolutely no pause of power flow during gear changes
Old 19th April 2013, 13:16   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

For something that is driver driven with a focus on back seat comfort, look at the B. It has more leg room than the C, surprisingly large boot space and is much cheaper than the rest. The only downside is the engine, which is put to shame by the Civic and Corolla.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks