Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 12:11   #196
BHPian

20-22 lakhs : pre-owned car for uncle

Guys,
My uncle is moving down from US to Chennai and wants a preowned car. He knows nothing about cars and wants me to take the decision. The need:

1. Brand value. Most important factor as it takes a center stage when he is talking to his investors. From his suit to the car he drives adds points.
2. Drive quality and safety
3. good comfort for 4-5 adults
4. No ultra maintenance cost

Why pre-owned: Since budget is 20-22 lakhs and the need brand and image, we looked at preowned.

Driving Style or Need:
1. Will be chauffeured always
2. Monthly around 1200 to 1800 kms which will include city and highway

I am totally confused on what to suggest or look for.

We came across a BMW 3 series top end though the car was superbs, the rear space was a major let down. It was a 2008 model, 2nd owner, 36k and quoting 16.5 lakhs

BMW 530i - Fantastic car, 19k, 1 owner, expecting 23 lakhs

Audi A4 petrol, yet to check the car.

Please help on 2 models I should target so that I can do a focused search.
Old 30th April 2013, 12:36   #197
Senior - BHPian

Re: 20-22 lakhs : pre-owned car for uncle

Be aware that the holy trinity is not cheap to maintain so find a car that has an extended service warranty or those full service cover packages like BSI in BMW. Since space is an issue look at 5/a6/e. A bit more expensive though
Old 30th April 2013, 12:43   #198
BHPian

Hi,

I would suggest a 2009/10 pre-owned 5 series, a 525d or 530d. I was in the same dilemma as you a few months back. You may have a look at my thread for the options I considered back then.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...unlimited.html

Try to get a car under BSI for peace of mind. My car did not have BSI, but so far I have had a very peaceful ownership, touch wood.

Keep us posted.

Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 12:53   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Guys,
My uncle is moving down from US to Chennai and wants a preowned car. He knows nothing about cars and wants me to take the decision. The need:

1. Brand value. Most important factor as it takes a center stage when he is talking to his investors. From his suit to the car he drives adds points.
Why don't you check out the Passat? It is quite exclusive and has decent brand value. Back seat comfort will be better than the 5 series/E class and A6. And cost of ownership would be lesser than the germans. Plus you get a new car.
Old 30th April 2013, 13:14   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Why pre-owned: Since budget is 20-22 lakhs and the need brand and image, we looked at preowned.

Driving Style or Need:

We came across a BMW 3 series top end though the car was superbs, the rear space was a major let down. It was a 2008 model, 2nd owner, 36k and quoting 16.5 lakhs

Since brand seems to be top priority, and he's open to second hand cars, you should definitely go for a second hand German petrol car. You seem to be on the right track.

1. Petrol cars are easier to maintain
2. You'll get a second hand petrol car at a throw away price.

The BMW 530i you're getting, don't be surprised if you're the first decent buyer he's found in months. he seems to be offering it for a very very good price ! Considering a brand new will cost upwards of 45 lacs. It'll bring much better snob value to the table than an A4 as its a completely different segment.

I say go for it !
Old 30th April 2013, 14:13   #201
Senior - BHPian

Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow Bhpians

i would suggest you to look at a non conventional option- the Volvo S80- you can get terrific bargains if you get a good used example, pretty good brand value, bullet proof mechanicals and sofa like rear seat.
Old 30th April 2013, 14:52   #202
BHPian

the 530 is obviously the previous gen, its a good idea to consider a pre-owned from BMW itself if they have cars available (here in mumbai they do), however its worth exploring a good A4, the early ones are going cheap as well, for eg 2009 for 16 or so and the 2010-2011 for 20 or so.
The Volkswagen Passat is a great car and also worth considering, as suggested in the earlier post
Old 30th April 2013, 15:17   #203
BHPian

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Keep them coming. I am summarizing my replies based on the various thoughts.

Volkswagen: Not in contention due to brand value

Volvo: Again loses out in brand value plus availability of spares seems to be in question and we need to be completely dependent on the dealer for spares which is something I dont want to .

BWM exclusive: They dont have many cars in my price range, they have all 26+ and also their prices are like 1-3 lakhs more than the market!!!

Currently, it looks like 5 series or A4. WHat about Merc?
Old 30th April 2013, 17:37   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you sure you wanna go for a petrol vehicle? With a running of average 1500 km/month its going to cause quite a bit of heart burn.
Old 30th April 2013, 17:51   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

No offence, but the 3 series seems to have been tampered with unless the service folks can vouch for the running. I suspect actual running would be closer to 65k, recalling a conversation with a used car dealer.

The 530i is a good weekend car, 1800km a month will surely cause heartburn as pointed by drmohitg above. Any idea of actual efficiency?

25 Lakhs should get a good German diesel to be chauffered in, not factoring in performance as brand is the major criteria here.
Old 30th April 2013, 17:55   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys,

Driving Style or Need:

The E60 5 would be your best bet. Though if it is always going to be chauffeured then why a 530i? Try and find a 523i or even a 520d. Also the chauffeur will not manage well with the 18" rims and he will get bubbles.

Avoid the 3, its not a good chauffeur driven car, unless your uncle will sit in front. See bmw.in, the pre owned part. There is a 320i in Chennai, it may interested you. Will be lighter on the wallet than a 530i.

My suggestion, like someone mentioned - check out the Passat, you will get a sparsely run car. It will be lighter to maintain (not by too much) and will have better ride than the Bimmers while giving better fuel economy.
Old 30th April 2013, 17:58   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Are you sure you wanna go for a petrol vehicle? With a running of average 1500 km/month its going to cause quite a bit of heart burn.
Petrol only if it comes at a very good price. Thats why still looking for a 525D

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
No offence, but the 3 series seems to have been tampered with unless the service folks can vouch for the running. I suspect actual running would be closer to 65k, recalling a conversation with a used car dealer.

The 530i is a good weekend car, 1800km a month will surely cause heartburn as pointed by drmohitg above. Any idea of actual efficiency?

25 Lakhs should get a good German diesel to be chauffered in, not factoring in performance as brand is the major criteria here.
Not sure, you know about this car? We checked and the service records were clean. Please PM me if you have any details.

CHecking out a A4 tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The E60 5 would be your best bet. Though if it is always going to be chauffeured then why a 530i? Try and find a 523i or even a 520d. Also the chauffeur will not manage well with the 18" rims and he will get bubbles.

Avoid the 3, its not a good chauffeur driven car, unless your uncle will sit in front. See bmw.in, the pre owned part. There is a 320i in Chennai, it may interested you. Will be lighter on the wallet than a 530i.

My suggestion, like someone mentioned - check out the Passat, you will get a sparsely run car. It will be lighter to maintain (not by too much) and will have better ride than the Bimmers while giving better fuel economy.
Very valid. I am also thinking in same lines and have been looking for a 520d as it will be perfect. Nothing is available though .

Like I said, he is clear, only wants a Audi, BMW, or Merc due to brand reasons in his circle.

Last edited by GTO : 1st May 2013 at 10:10. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 30th April 2013, 18:06   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Driving Style or Need:

Pre-owned cars in the US are a good option as the conditions are better. However for India I would suggest going in for a new car. The Skoda Superb in this case is the best option. No preowned car in your price range will give you the back seat legroom and features that the Superb has. And since he will be chauffeured always he can even get the manual 1.8TSi version that is available at a great price, even better now since discounts are heavy considering the facelifted Superb is released internationally.
Old 15th July 2013, 22:30   #209
BHPian

Advice for a small-ish luxury car

Hi,
So we have some special requirements for our next car.
Currently we own a Civic and a Brio hatchback. Civic primarily as highway car and Brio for city drives. (my mom is not comfortable driving Civic in city e.g. to a local market etc)

Now, we want to replace both the cars with just one good car. Reason being Civic gets very sparingly used and just sits idle most of the time. (apart from a drive out of town on weekends)

Budget : around 25-30 lacs
Preferably from a German brand. though Japanese cars are also good. Preferably not Korean.

Another question is, is it worth going for high end cars if you are not going for their flagship models? (e.g. getting a merc A class instead of C or E). Do they offer the same feel?
Old 15th July 2013, 22:43   #210
BHPian

Re: Advice for a small-ish luxury car

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
Hi,
So we have some special requirements for our next car.
Currently we own a Civic and a Brio hatchback. Civic primarily as highway car and Brio for city drives. (my mom is not comfortable driving Civic in city e.g. to a local market etc)

Now, we want to replace both the cars with just one good car. Reason being Civic gets very sparingly used and just sits idle most of the time. (apart from a drive out of town on weekends)

Budget : around 25-30 lacs
Preferably from a German brand. though Japanese cars are also good. Preferably not Korean.

Another question is, is it worth going for high end cars if you are not going for their flagship models? (e.g. getting a merc A class instead of C or E). Do they offer the same feel?
Are you looking for petrol or diesel? Will the car be self-driven or chauffeured? If you are looking for a car that you can use in the city as well as highway, I would not recommend the A class. Reason being, I have driven it and the ground clearance is very low so it is likely to hit from underneath on any potholes in the city or highway. It did get scraped from underneath on a speed breaker I drove over (I was crawling over it). The X1 might be a good option for you as it has good ground clearance for dealing with potholes.
carfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed