BHPian

Re: Advice for a small-ish luxury car

Preferably Petrol.
Mostly Self driven (99% of the times)

Thanks for input about A class.
Old 15th July 2013, 23:00   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you are in the market at the right time for the right kind of car with so many of luxury hatches being launched in the last few months. Go and take a TD of the A class, B class from mercedes and the Volvo V40 cross country. That would give you an idea whats there in the market in your price range and if it suits the intended usage pattern. You can also try the mini perhaps !!
Old 15th July 2013, 23:28   #213
BHPian

You could get one of the mainstream D2 segments cars, the only worry is the driving-over-potholes part. We scrape our Passat's underside at almost every speed bump.

IMO it is better to buy a flagship model of one of the non-luxury brands (I'm talking VW, Skoda) than to get a lower end model of a luxury brand.

Else go for the X1, you can't go wrong with it.
Old 16th July 2013, 00:04   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
Hi,
So we have some special requirements for our next car.
Currently we own a Civic and a Brio hatchback. Civic primarily as highway car and Brio for city drives. (my mom is not comfortable driving Civic in city e.g. to a local market etc)

Now, we want to replace both the cars with just one good car. Reason being Civic gets very sparingly used and just sits idle most of the time. (apart from a drive out of town on weekends)

Budget : around 25-30 lacs
Preferably from a German brand. though Japanese cars are also good. Preferably not Korean.

Another question is, is it worth going for high end cars if you are not going for their flagship models? (e.g. getting a merc A class instead of C or E). Do they offer the same feel?
If you go for a luxury brand, go for the top end model. Your timing couldn't be better, everybody is offering huge discounts as the market is very slow.

My personal choice would be a 320d but Since your mom does not like driving larger cars my suggestion is go for the Audi Q3. Here's why

- it's the size of a hatch but positioned as an SuV. You get the best of both worlds
- very very easy to drive around the city given Audi's super light steering and the small size of the car.
- plush interior and great ground clearance. Will give your mom enough confidence to drive it in the city
- powerful 170bhp engine. Unlike the A4, Q3 gets the 170 bhp motor which has ample power for the open road.

The Q3 S is coming out soon at a price of about 24-25 lacs but its going to be a manual transmission and many other goodies missing. Spend a couple of lacs extra and get the better variant. The Q3 is not a hot seller and is available at really good prices right now. Lots of newspapers carrying ads of Q3 at huge discounts.

The X1 could also be considered but personally I like to own a car which puts a smile on my face every time I look at it . The X1 is ugly inside out. And it doesn't have the same Wow factor as the Q3.

I would strongly advise against the A class as its a hatch after all. It's huge from the outside but pretty cramped inside. Plus the really low ground clearance is going to be a major problem on highway drives. Not to mention it lacs a spare tire and lacs the space to carry a donut.

If its a Sedan, go for the A4/320d. Else go for the Q3. I hate the A4 but only suggesting as it feels like moms would love it for the light steering and low power.
Old 16th July 2013, 00:23   #215
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you consider the MINI Cooper? I think it would be a spendid choice for your mom.
Old 16th July 2013, 01:40   #216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I think you are in the market at the right time for the right kind of car with so many of luxury hatches being launched in the last few months. Go and take a TD of the A class, B class from mercedes and the Volvo V40 cross country. That would give you an idea whats there in the market in your price range and if it suits the intended usage pattern. You can also try the mini perhaps !!
Actually, this isn't the best time to plonk your money on a premium car, what with the rupee plummeting and luxury car prices being hiked.

But I concur with your Volvo V40 recommendation. It is a good option.

Since Abhijit's mum isn't comfortable negotiating the Civic in crowded market places, I'd suggest something that's compact, with good visibility and preferably something that's high off the ground. And since it is going to be used sparingly, I'd suggest a petrol car. The Mini Cooper Countryman is a good option. The brand may have British roots, but it's has German genes too.

You should get some good discounts on 2012 cars sitting in the lot. Be sure to do your homework before taking the plunge though. A PDI must be done!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th July 2013 at 01:41.
Old 17th July 2013, 10:14   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Actually, this isn't the best time to plonk your money on a premium car, what with the rupee plummeting and luxury car prices being hiked.

You should get some good discounts on 2012 cars sitting in the lot. Be sure to do your homework before taking the plunge though. A PDI must be done!
I would imagine this is actually a great time to buy a new car.

The market is very slow, discounts are huge.

The INR has depreciated almost 10% but none of the automakers have increased the prices yet as they still have old stocks to clear. MErcedes has already hinted at a price increase. The others will follow suit soon.

Buying before a price increase would be ideal.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 10:25   #218
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually as Bluebeam mentions I have similar take.

A4 if a sedan - (more comfy rider than the 3 series and has a spare and the power does not matter, feels plusher on the inside.)

Q3 if you want a higher vehicle - get the AT obviously.

X1 is no fun in many ways and the 3 though a lot of fun may not really be what a lady will like. I have had a the occasion of having a lady colleague try out the A4, X1 and 3 series the same day with me love the A4 hate the X1 and prefer the A4 over the 3 series though I felt otherwise between the two at that time.

B series looks boring to me, and the A series though great in looks is too underpowered for my liking and the spare in the boot puts me off. C class though is an option if you want to go that way - better power than the A4 and better interiors than the 3 series but you are more likely to get good deals on the A4 and you mom is likely to love it more. From your perspective too it would be a toss up between A4, 3 Series and Q3.

Last edited by ACM : 17th July 2013 at 10:29.
Old 17th July 2013, 10:27   #219
Senior - BHPian

Why not a Yeti? It is a fun to drive car. A 4X4 can come home leaving 5lakhs in your pockey for your next upgrade. 50:50 reclinable rear seats would no doubt be a boon for get aways.
jacs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 10:39   #220
BHPian

May i suggest the upcoming AUDI Q3 Sport. Not very big. Fits nicely in your budget. Punchy Diesel. Most importantly slick manual transmission. Should be fun to drive.
Old 17th July 2013, 10:41   #221
Senior - BHPian

The thread title begs just one single answer. The A-class. It's German, it's small-ish and it's within your budget. You shouldn't be looking anywhere else.
Old 17th July 2013, 11:02   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
Preferably Petrol.
Mostly Self driven (99% of the times)
Why don't you check out the Q3 2.0 TFSI? Audi released this a few months back. Its got a nice 210hp turbo petrol motor and Quattro. Its compact enough for the city and is also an awesome highway machine. IMO this will suit your needs perfectly.
Old 17th July 2013, 11:14   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys the OP has clearly mentioned that he is looking for a hatch kind of a car since his mom finds it difficult to negotiate the city traffic in the Civic. She will find it difficult to drive the C, 3 series and likewise. So the ideal car would be one of the hatches. I am sold on the V40 .
Old 17th July 2013, 11:38   #224
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend the Q3 Sport with 6MT, Yeti Elegance, BMW 320D, in that order.
Old 17th July 2013, 12:28   #225
Team-BHP Support

With the mentioned requirements, the ideal options should be the entry level hatchback /crossover like the A-Class, V40 Cross Country, X1, Q3 etc. And if you are not in a hurry, I believe the BMW 1-series will also come in as an option during the latter part of the year.

Some points to consider:
1) You mentioned that your mom is not comfortable driving the Civic in the city. Do keep in mind that options like Q3 and V40 are almost as long as the Civic, and almost all the cars mentioned above (including the A-Class) are wider than the Civic. The most compact of the lot should be the Mini Countryman.
2) Volvo and BMW have run-flat tyres and does not get a spare wheel as standard.

Going by compactness alone, the Mini Countryman would be an ideal option from the luxury brigade. But actually for the requirements you mentioned (compact, safe, 99% self-driven, preferably petrol), a slightly lesser German name is more than sufficient – the VW Polo GT TSI
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks