Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2014, 03:34   #241
BHPian

Re: A new car in the budget of 20-30 lacs

Thanks for your input. Jetta and Octavia though my favourite in that segment can't be considered because of lack of extended warranty but superb can surely be considered.
Old 23rd February 2014, 09:50   #242
BHPian

Look into the x1. TD is a must. Great discounts. Ticks all the boxes above. 20d should be 29 OTR.
beanstalk_230 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 10:03   #243
BHPian

Quote:
I need your advice on which car to buy based on my budget and requirements.
Buddy, is your choice restricted to buying a car? Given the kind of budget you have you can comfortably look at couple of good SUV's in this price range like Fortuner or Santa FE.

If you are only looking for a car with realibility have a look at the Toyota Camry.

Toyota is known for its realibility.

Last edited by mints21 : 23rd February 2014 at 10:05. Reason: Spelling correction
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 10:20   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
Budget:-
20-30 Lacs

Requirements:-
1. Good performance.
2. Safety(preferably European for that matter) as the car will be driven quite a lot on Pune-Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway.
3. Ride quality.
4. Good ground clearance to tackle monsoon battered roads( no experiences in this regard as it rains very less in Delhi and roads are mostly good)
5. has to be an automatic.
6. Good warranty package ( at least extended warranty is a must ).
Skoda Superb

The Superb should tick all the requirements I've set in bold.
I cannot speak on the Performance aspect as I've not heard anything extraordinary as far as Speed is concerned for this car but heaps of praise on the ride quality and space it provides. European stance should give you confidence on the highways as well, The auto DSG is a gray area however. Overall I can't think of anything better if you plan to be chauffeur driven.

Oh! and If you are open to used vehicles a lot more German options suddenly open up to you. I personally would purchase the Superb if I was in your position : ).
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 11:39   #245
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Greetings fellow BHPians

My family will be shifting to Pune by April of this year.

20-30 Lacs

1. Good performance.
2. Safety(preferably European for that matter) as the car will be driven quite a lot on Pune-Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway.
3. Ride quality.
4. Good ground clearance to tackle monsoon battered roads( no experiences in this regard as it rains very less in Delhi and roads are mostly good)

Really looking forward to your advice as I'm very confused and the worst thing is that whenever I seem to make up my mind on a car a face lift of that car or a better variant is around in some trivial, neither very far nor very near future( like " the end of this year" or "middle of next year" )

Thanks a lot in advance

Regards
I think you should look at the Honda CR-V. Its a very capable and comfortable soft-roader, has good ground clearance and is an automatic. The only fly in the ointment is that the CR-V is available only in petrol guise. If your monthly running is low, the CR-V is definitely worth a consideration.

If you are looking for a diesel car, then certainly the Octavia, Superb, Santa-Fe, Jetta and Camry are the ones to look out for.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 13:44   #246
BHPian

Thanks guys for all your posts. your inputs are really appreciated.

the following cars have been suggested by all of you

1. Octavia
2. Jetta
3. Superb
4. Santa fe
5. X1
6. CRV
7. Camry
8. Pre owned german cars.
9. Fortuner

Now I would humbly like to express my opinions on the various options mentioned above.

1. Skoda octavia - I love the car but there is no extended warranty.

2. Volkswagen Jetta - Again one of my favorites but still no extended warranty.

3. Skoda superb - lovely car , good price and skoda shield is available on the face-lifted version as well. though new version will be out by 2016 but it still is short listed as it meets most of my requirement.

4. Hyundai Santa fe - Again meets most of my requirements in fact all of them but only concern is paying 32 lacs for a hyundai but still it is shortlisted.

5. BMW X1 - again good choice , meets most of my requirements except new car will be launched in 2015/16.

6. Honda CRV- Sir i know its indian mentality to ask "kitna deti hai" and though I'm not obsessed with fuel economy and neither I'm averse to petrol but i shudder to think about the fuel bills in case of CRV.

7. Toyota Camry - No safety features.

8. Pre-owned German cars- I just love the smell of new car so can't go that lane.

9. Toyota Fortuner- makes me feel macho even to think about it but variants are a problem. i need an automatic gearbox but that only comes in 2WD and fortuner in 2WD I feel is an insult to the SUV , it defeats the purpose it was built for.

so based on your inputs i'm making a final short list and would like to invite comments on that.

Final shortlist -

1. Santa fe.
2. BMW X1
3. AUdi Q3(adding on my own)
4. BMW 3 series 2103 (Adding on my own)
5. A-class (A-180 sport)
6. Skoda superb.

Note
1. Car will always be self driven.
2. Max four people in car.
3. Petrol options can be considered if fuel efficient.

I humbly invite further comments and discussion on the above shortlist. Your inputs are highly appreciated .
Old 23rd February 2014, 14:24   #247
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
1. Skoda octavia - I love the car but there is no extended warranty.

2. Volkswagen Jetta - Again one of my favorites but still no extended warranty.

7. Toyota Camry - No safety features.

Hi.
I do not understand the above.
1. I was under the impression that one could buy an extended warranty with all Skoda / VW cars. I have an extended warranty on mine thats for sure.
2. Unable to understand why the Camry is felt not to have safety features.

Last edited by GTO : 24th February 2014 at 11:30. Reason: Fixing quote
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 14:37   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hi.
I do not understand the above.
1. I was under the impression that one could buy an extended warranty with all Skoda / VW cars. I have an extended warranty on mine thats for sure.
2. Unable to understand why the Camry is felt not to have safety features.
1. Skoda shield ie 2 year extended warranty is applicable on yeti , superb and rapid only where as volkswagen is giving extended warranty only on non-TSi ventos and polo , extended warranty on Jetta though available earlier has now mysteriously been withdrawn.

The above information is also reflected on their respective websites.

2. For 27 lacs on road it only has 2 airbags and ABS only , no curtain airbags , no traction control , no ESP etc skoda superb costs less but still has 6 airbags , ABS , EDl , TCS and ESP.
Old 23rd February 2014, 15:50   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Final shortlist -

1. Santa fe.
2. BMW X1
5. A-class (A-180 sport)
6. Skoda superb.

Note

I humbly invite further comments and discussion on the above shortlist. Your inputs are highly appreciated .
From your list its pretty evident that you first need to figure out what kind of car do you want. A mercedes A Class and a Santa Fe cannot be in the same list even if they fall in the same price bracket. Completely different cars and completely different USPs.

Now from what I understand you would require comfortable seating for both front and rear passengers and the car should be fairly well kitted.

So here goes my opinion on your shortlisted cars:
1. Hyundai Santa Fe: If you are looking at an SUV then this is the perfect car. If your budget allows this then do give it a very serious thought. The car has a good ride, good seat comfort, loaded with safety features and other gadgets, and above all is good to drive. Also its pretty reliable as all Hyundai cars are. Not sure if it comes with extended warranty though. Also the new model has come and hence you don't have to worry about a new model coming up in couple of years.

2. BMW X1 and Audi Q3: Both are what I call souvenir cars, neither here not there. The back seat is cramped. Te fully loaded variants will cost you well above 30L even with discounts. The X1 in particular has a very cramped back seat. Needless to say both are quite driver oriented vehicles.

3. BMW 3 series: Once again the base variant will cost you well above 30L and with BSI in tow the price will touch 35-36L OTR. Again the rear seat is not comfortable for long journeys and getting in and out of the car wil be a tough job for elderly people.

4. A class: Extremely short on interior space. Not sure why this is even on the list. BTW if you are looking at buying a premium hatch then take a look at the Volvo V40 too. Personally I don't see it fit into your requirements.

5. Skoda Superb: Not that fun to drive. Its more of a chauffeur driven car. Loaded with features and great on interior space as well. The only downside is the suspect after sales issue but then if you are willing to take the risk then go ahead with it. Along with the Santa FE this one is the most sensible car in your list above.

Anyother car that you may want to check out:
If you are open to Petrol then take a look at Nissan Taena. There are some mouth watering deals out there. Other than that I cannot think of any other car in that segment suit your requirements. On the other hand as many other people have suggested you might want to check the Jetta and Octavia. They are pretty capable cars offering you most of what there elder cousins offer. At the same time due to there smaller dimensions sometimes they are a blessing when you have to take the car t some congested areas. If you are open to buying Skoda then why don't you also take a look at the Skoda Yeti?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:34   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
From your list its pretty evident that you first need to figure out what kind of car do you want. A mercedes A Class and a Santa Fe cannot be in the same list even if they fall in the same price bracket. Completely different cars and completely different USPs.
Sir please don't get me wrong i know these cars have different USPs but all of them mentioned above full fill some of my requirements. For example as I have mentioned the car will carry at the max 4 people that is only 5% of the time and mostly it will carry only 1 to 3 people so 7 seats are not necessary but if they are there then its an added bonus.

Quote:
So here goes my opinion on your shortlisted cars:
1. Hyundai Santa Fe: If you are looking at an SUV then this is the perfect car. If your budget allows this then do give it a very serious thought. The car has a good ride, good seat comfort, loaded with safety features and other gadgets, and above all is good to drive. Also its pretty reliable as all Hyundai cars are. Not sure if it comes with extended warranty though. Also the new model has come and hence you don't have to worry about a new model coming up in couple of years.

2. BMW X1 and Audi Q3: Both are what I call souvenir cars, neither here not there. The back seat is cramped. Te fully loaded variants will cost you well above 30L even with discounts. The X1 in particular has a very cramped back seat. Needless to say both are quite driver oriented vehicles.

3. BMW 3 series: Once again the base variant will cost you well above 30L and with BSI in tow the price will touch 35-36L OTR. Again the rear seat is not comfortable for long journeys and getting in and out of the car wil be a tough job for elderly people.

4. A class: Extremely short on interior space. Not sure why this is even on the list. BTW if you are looking at buying a premium hatch then take a look at the Volvo V40 too. Personally I don't see it fit into your requirements.

5. Skoda Superb: Not that fun to drive. Its more of a chauffeur driven car. Loaded with features and great on interior space as well. The only downside is the suspect after sales issue but then if you are willing to take the risk then go ahead with it. Along with the Santa FE this one is the most sensible car in your list above.
I mostly agree with all the above but regarding 3 series i can stretch my budget till 32l for which i may get 2013 3 series and X1.
Yes i feel that skoda superb and santa fe get the closest to full fill my requirements.

Quote:
Anyother car that you may want to check out:
If you are open to Petrol then take a look at Nissan Taena. There are some mouth watering deals out there. Other than that I cannot think of any other car in that segment suit your requirements. On the other hand as many other people have suggested you might want to check the Jetta and Octavia. They are pretty capable cars offering you most of what there elder cousins offer. At the same time due to there smaller dimensions sometimes they are a blessing when you have to take the car t some congested areas. If you are open to buying Skoda then why don't you also take a look at the Skoda Yeti?
Sir the fuel efficiency of teana is a problem and yeti does not gave an automatic gear box , if it did have i would have bought it straight away.
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:50   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I mostly agree with all the above but regarding 3 series i can stretch my budget till 32l for which i may get 2013 3 series and X1.
Yes i feel that skoda superb and santa fe get the closest to full fill my requirements.
Too young to be called "sir" mate.

Even if you get that 3 series for 32L then what about the BSI since extended warranty is so important specially with these german cars? A 5 year plan will cost you 3L and hence the total cost of the car will jump to around 35L.

I found the A class to be very cramped from inside. Probably good for small city drives but not meant for longer highway drives which you mentioned in your opening post. Once again the 3 series has low seating, something that your parents may not like very much.

Regarding Jetta and Octavia: Even if they don't come with extended warranties, you end up saving a lot of cash which would be more than enough to cover for any premature car failure that may crop up.

Also how about the upcoming Audi A3?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:55   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Greetings fellow BHPians

My family will be shifting to Pune by April of this year.

20-30 Lacs

1. Good performance.
3. Ride quality.

Thanks a lot in advance

Regards
Firstly, welcome to Pune! Hope you and your family like it.

Looking at the list of your requirements I would suggest X1 eyes closed. It would be tad above your budget of 30L but it's totally worth it. Barring ride quality it meets all your requirements. It is one fine machine I tell you.

Don't worry too much about facelift launch as it will have majorly cosmetic changes and then also interiors would remain more or less same.
Old 23rd February 2014, 23:47   #253
Senior - BHPian

Hello,
Did you consider the X-trail? Instead of getting a baseline Luxury European Sedan/ Compact SUV why not consider the X-trail?

- It is comfortable for 4 and the ride quality is better than the other available SUV's in that price segment.

- As its a Nissan reliability isn't a big issue. In the Mumbai- Pune- Aurangabad- Nashik circle i don't think Nissan's after sales service is a problem.

- It has a Good GC and has an optional 4wd so tackling monsoon won't be a big problem.

- The 6-speed Automatic is a delight to drive. The X-trail handles like a car as it has a monocoque construction. The steering is light enough in the city and weighs up well at higher speeds.

- The sunroof is huge. As its a CBU the interiors are laid out well and the quality is really good. Though it misses out on some features.

- Looks are always subjective. I always prefer Boxy SUVs over the modern curvy designs so i quite like the X-trail.

As its a Diesel it will be light on your pocket. If you want a petrol car then you should check out the Sonata, Grand Vitara and the Toyota Camry.

All the best

Asit
Old 24th February 2014, 00:03   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Final shortlist -

1. Santa fe.
2. BMW X1
5. A-class (A-180 sport)
6. Skoda superb.

Note
Now should begin the TD time & you should get your answer. Enjoy the same & do look into most of the options available since your requirements are matched by a lot many cars.

Last edited by beanstalk_230 : 24th February 2014 at 00:08.
beanstalk_230 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 02:01   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding Jetta and Octavia: Even if they don't come with extended warranties, you end up saving a lot of cash which would be more than enough to cover for any premature car failure that may crop up.

Also how about the upcoming Audi A3?
Well Thats an interesting perspective was also thinking on similar line , makes choosing the octavia or the jetta more confidence inspiring.

A3 can't be considered as its still some way before the launch and as per internet reviews it seem awfully cramped even more than the a class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Firstly, welcome to Pune! Hope you and your family like it.

Looking at the list of your requirements I would suggest X1 eyes closed. It would be tad above your budget of 30L but it's totally worth it. Barring ride quality it meets all your requirements. It is one fine machine I tell you.

Don't worry too much about facelift launch as it will have majorly cosmetic changes and then also interiors would remain more or less same.
thanks I'm very excited about moving over to Pune. Spent two years in model colony when i was a kid.

Yes X1 surely a seems to be a good choice will have to check the ride and space issue during the test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Hello,
Did you consider the X-trail? Instead of getting a baseline Luxury European Sedan/ Compact SUV why not consider the X-trail?

- It is comfortable for 4 and the ride quality is better than the other available SUV's in that price segment.

- As its a Nissan reliability isn't a big issue. In the Mumbai- Pune- Aurangabad- Nashik circle i don't think Nissan's after sales service is a problem.

- It has a Good GC and has an optional 4wd so tackling monsoon won't be a big problem.

- The 6-speed Automatic is a delight to drive. The X-trail handles like a car as it has a monocoque construction. The steering is light enough in the city and weighs up well at higher speeds.

- The sunroof is huge. As its a CBU the interiors are laid out well and the quality is really good. Though it misses out on some features.

- Looks are always subjective. I always prefer Boxy SUVs over the modern curvy designs so i quite like the X-trail.

As its a Diesel it will be light on your pocket. If you want a petrol car then you should check out the Sonata, Grand Vitara and the Toyota Camry.

All the best

Asit
Nice suggestion and i like the X-trail but can't consider it as a new one will be launched in India by end of this year or beginning of next year ( as the internet sources claim)
Grand Vitara is no longer on sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
Now should begin the TD time & you should get your answer. Enjoy the same & do look into most of the options available since your requirements are matched by a lot many cars.
you have summarized it very well i think its about time to start the process.

So thanks to all of you guys and i really appreciate your suggestions and wisdom.

after looking at all the different perspectives the cars that i'm going to consider for test drive are(in order of prefference):-

1. Hyundai Santa Fe
2. Skoda Superb/octavia.
3. Volkswagen Jetta.
4. BMW X1.

Will update about the experiences and final decision.
once again thanks alot to every one

regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks