Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2014, 21:27   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians

What about the Sonata? Somehow it hasn't featured in this conversation. Seems to fit the bill on all counts.
Old 25th May 2014, 07:43   #302

Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians

How about the Renault Scala/Nissan Sunny, it's significantly cheaper than the aforementioned options and backseat space is quite significant. If not, why not look at a used S-class? A used W220 should fall into the given budget.
Old 12th July 2014, 22:12   #303
BHPian

Which sedan/SUV under 30 Lakhs OTR?

Background

We are a joint family based in Jharkhand. I am a student and study in Bangalore, coming to JSR only for a month. We already have 3 cars: An 2009 Innova ZX, a 2004 Ford Ikon and a 2011 Superb 2.0 Diesel. The Innova is used as the workhorse by everyone. The Ikon is used by my younger brother when he comes back from Columbia, MO. Or when i come from Bangalore. The Superb is used by dad as his personal vehicle. Now the problem is that my mom, who used public transport to travel to work till now, has started having back pains and knee cramps(if that's the correct word). So we need to buy another vehicle for her.

Our Options:
  • Use the Ikon for her. Its comfortable and that way, we save a lot of money and the car will be driven as well(considering it is used just for 500-800 kms a year.) Problems are that it is extremely heavy on pocket in terms of fuel and maintenance. Its a 1.3 Endura Petrol, hardly crossing 8 km/l. Plus its not reliable. The only reasons i have it is because it is a pleasure to drive and it was Dad's first car and mine too.(When he passed it on to me.)
  • Buy another Superb Diesel(Ambition). Comfortable and fast. Only problem is that it will be the same car all-over again. Dad's not willing to go for another Superb. Not because its troublesome or anything like that. Just that we don't want the same car again.
  • Dad instead suggests this: Buy a SUV in the same budget. He will take the new SUV while passing the Superb to Mom. He says that aside from his own usage, it will also serve in hauling excess luggage/people when Innova is not available. Only point is that no SUV(in our budget) will be as comfortable as his current ride(Superb). Dad spends nearly 10 hrs on the road and hence he needs a comfortable ride at the minimum.

Basic Requirements
  • Diesel due to high running.
  • Good car like driving dynamics. (No Korean boats please). No offence to existing owners.
  • Comfortable. Period.
  • 25 Ex-Showroom, 30 OTR Budget.
  • Reliable since her place of work is 28 kms from our house.
  • Safety: ABS and Airbags, EBD etc.
  • AT/MT not an issue since we have drivers.
  • Other equipment/features is not a deal-breaker.
  • ASS not as issue.

Therefore, please suggest me what to do. I am totally dependent on your opinions..

Last edited by searchingheaven : 12th July 2014 at 22:14.
Old 12th July 2014, 23:18   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Background

We are a joint family based in Jharkhand. I am a student and study in Bangalore, coming to JSR only for a month. We already have 3 cars: An 2009 Innova ZX, a 2004 Ford Ikon and a 2011 Superb 2.0 Diesel. The Innova is used as the workhorse by everyone. The Ikon is used by my younger brother when he comes back from Columbia, MO. Or when i come from Bangalore. The Superb is used by dad as his personal vehicle. Now the problem is that my mom, who used public transport to travel to work till now, has started having back pains and knee cramps(if that's the correct word). So we need to buy another vehicle for her.

Our Options:
  • Use the Ikon for her. Its comfortable and that way, we save a lot of money and the car will be driven as well(considering it is used just for 500-800 kms a year.) Problems are that it is extremely heavy on pocket in terms of fuel and maintenance. Its a 1.3 Endura Petrol, hardly crossing 8 km/l. Plus its not reliable. The only reasons i have it is because it is a pleasure to drive and it was Dad's first car and mine too.(When he passed it on to me.)
  • Buy another Superb Diesel(Ambition). Comfortable and fast. Only problem is that it will be the same car all-over again. Dad's not willing to go for another Superb. Not because its troublesome or anything like that. Just that we don't want the same car again.
  • Dad instead suggests this: Buy a SUV in the same budget. He will take the new SUV while passing the Superb to Mom. He says that aside from his own usage, it will also serve in hauling excess luggage/people when Innova is not available. Only point is that no SUV(in our budget) will be as comfortable as his current ride(Superb). Dad spends nearly 10 hrs on the road and hence he needs a comfortable ride at the minimum.

Basic Requirements
  • Good car like driving dynamics. (No Korean boats please). No offence to existing owners.
  • Comfortable. Period.
  • ASS not as issue.

Therefore, please suggest me what to do. I am totally dependent on your opinions..
Toyota fortuner is the only SUV in that budget but the ride is quite bumpy. A no nonsense reliable car will be a Toyota Camry Hybrid. It is a good alternative to the superb and even out sold it this month. Otherwise the new Audi A3 is a good buy if you are not much concerned about the rear seat space.
Old 12th July 2014, 23:59   #305
BHPian

Re: Which sedan/SUV under 30 Lakhs OTR?

SUV
1) Toyota Fortunner - Reliable, Diesel, Safe but average comfort.
2) Sanyong Rexton - Diesel, Reliable, Safe, Middle row comfortable. Ride Quality above average.
3) Audi Q3 - Diesel, Reliable, Safe, Middle row comfortable. Ride Quality - Good. High on maintainence.

Other options other than SUVs - Octavia/ Camry/ Volvo V40/ Jetta/ Passat
Old 13th July 2014, 00:49   #306
BHPian

Sorry for missing out the Mercedes B class if you want a 3 pointed star. Rear seat is better than the Q3 although the ride here is also not great (not superb/Camry level). Rexton is good but the middle row does not have much space (again compared to the sedans) and the handling and steering is below par. Rexton might not be as reliable as a fortuner too. Volvo V 40 might be a good option but may exceed the budget a bit.
Old 13th July 2014, 01:23   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do you want to spend 30L on this car? Is status symbol of priority to you? I don't see the need for spending 30L on a new car for ferrying your mother in comfort in the rear seat. Cars costing a lot less than 30L can do that very well. So my first suggestion is to stay away from the entry level germans. The back seat space on all of them is really pathetic when compared to cars from few segments below.

For rear seat comfort, once again an SUV is a strict no. A Toyota Fortuner can never even dream of coming close to a sedan like ride quality. So unless you want this car for luggage hauling or off roading then my suggestion is to stay away from SUVs too. If you still insist on a SUV like vehicle then why not look at the other alternatives starting from the Renault Duster/Nissan Terrano/Skoda Yeti or the 25L + crossovers like Santa Fe/Koleos etc? They will offer you much better ride quality and also have a large boot to carry luggage.

If you are looking at a sedan offering good rear seat comfort, then why not the Sunny/Scala/City? They are excellent cars with really amazing rear seats. If you still want to go a segment higher then why not the Toyota Altis or the Jetta/Octavia since you want the European built quality? I would not suggest buying a Superb all over again. The Camry is really overpriced for what it offers.
Old 13th July 2014, 02:07   #308
Senior - BHPian

hello,
I would suggest have a look at the following cars-
1. Mitsubishi Pajero Sport- For me it is the best SUV under 30 lakhs. ( rides well + handles better than the T-Fort + brakes are good - Mitsubishi services in India). If the Dealership in your town is good, Do give it a thought.
2. Toyota Fortuner - Everything is good in this car apart from the Brakes and the ride quality, which is a major criteria for you.
3. Ssangyong Rexton RX7- Totally VFM. The 5-cyliner engine is pretty much reliable. The ride quality is strictly average.
4. Renault Koleos- I really dont know much about this as i never drove one. But reviews do suggest its a good car.
Of the three i feel the Pajero sport is better than the other 3, provided the Mitsubishi After Sales service is good at your place.
All the Best

Asit
Old 13th July 2014, 09:03   #309
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. My replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Toyota fortuner is the only SUV in that budget but the ride is quite bumpy. A no nonsense reliable car will be a Toyota Camry Hybrid. Otherwise the new Audi A3 is a good buy if you are not much concerned about the rear seat space.
T-Fort was never in consideration due to its ride. Camry is a car i am shortlisting. As far as A3 is concerned, we are inclined not to go for the three germans since we don't have a dealer/service centre in Jharkhand, it will be bought & serviced in Kolkata, which is going to be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
SUV
1) Toyota Fortunner
2) Sanyong Rexton
3) Audi Q3

Other options other than SUVs - Octavia/ Camry/ Volvo V40/ Jetta/ Passat
T-Fort, Audi, Volvo not in consideration for above mentioned reasons(Dealer). No one in my family will buy the Rexton after a uncle had a very bad experience with the XUV500. Reliablility is also a concern with Rexton. Camry, Jetta & Passat are shortlisted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Sorry for missing out the Mercedes B class if you want a 3 pointed star. Rear seat is better than the Q3 although the ride here is also not great (not superb/Camry level). Rexton is good but the middle row does not have much space (again compared to the sedans) and the handling and steering is below par. Rexton might not be as reliable as a fortuner too. Volvo V 40 might be a good option but may exceed the budget a bit.
Oh no, I am not looking for the 3-pointed star. Audi Q3 ride & space is not good compared to Superb/Passat and in addition to this, it has dealer problems. V40 again not a option due to sales/service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why do you want to spend 30L on this car? Is status symbol of priority to you? I don't see the need for spending 30L on a new car for ferrying your mother in comfort in the rear seat. Cars costing a lot less than 30L can do that very well. So my first suggestion is to stay away from the entry level germans. The back seat space on all of them is really pathetic when compared to cars from few segments below.

If you are looking at a sedan offering good rear seat comfort, then why not the Sunny/Scala/City? They are excellent cars with really amazing rear seats. If you still want to go a segment higher then why not the Toyota Altis or the Jetta/Octavia since you want the European built quality? I would not suggest buying a Superb all over again. The Camry is really overpriced for what it offers.
Sir,

You are correct in your analysis. No, i do not have status symbol as a priority and so will avoid the 3 germans altogether. Now SUV's will have the ride-comfort problem. Therefore i am shortlisting the Jetta & the Passat. Camry is overpriced(like all Toyotas).

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
hello,
1. Mitsubishi Pajero Sport- For me it is the best SUV under 30 lakhs. ( rides well + handles better than the T-Fort + brakes are good - Mitsubishi services in India). If the Dealership in your town is good, Do give it a thought.

Asit
Other cars not in consideration because of reasons mentioned above. Pajero Sport is a great car but the dealer in our town has shut down. I have called up Ranchi dealer & will be getting the details in a few hours. Will keep you updated.
Old 13th July 2014, 09:13   #310
BHPian

I see that you have short listed VW Passat. Please wait for the new model that will be launched next year. The new Jetta might be launched by the year end. The new Jetta may not have much difference compared to the present model but the new passat has a significant difference as a facelift
Old 13th July 2014, 09:40   #311
BHPian

Dear Searchingheaven,

I have been informed that the Passat is no longer being produced by VW India. I am a proud owner of a 2102 Passat and I can vouch for the car. I also read that VW India may not bring the 2015 Passat into India soon.

The Jetta is a very capable car and the 2.0 TDI engine is the same as that in the Passat, but with a lower tuning of 10 BHP vs 170 BHP in the Passat. With your budget, you have the flexibility of going for the Highline either Manual or Automatic. I suggest you go for the Automatic
Old 13th July 2014, 10:32   #312
BHPian

>>>

Ideally

1. Passat Mk8 (to be launched in India possibly in mid 2015)
2. A Class
3. A3 might be cramped at the rear for your mother
4. Don't know when the new Jetta ( Mk7) on the MQB platform will be launched; perhaps in 2016

Enough said!

Regards
Disclaimer : A very satisfied Jetta Mk5 motorist; don't like the Jetta Mk6

Last edited by issigonis : 13th July 2014 at 10:45.
Old 13th July 2014, 10:57   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[*]Dad instead suggests this: Buy a SUV in the same budget. He will take the new SUV while passing the Superb to Mom. He says that aside from his own usage, it will also serve in hauling excess luggage/people when Innova is not available. Only point is that no SUV(in our budget) will be as comfortable as his current ride(Superb). Dad spends nearly 10 hrs on the road and hence he needs a comfortable ride at the minimum.
Especially on the above parameter, I would suggest the Santa FE top variant. It maybe slightly above the 30 lakhs budget, but should tick every other aspect you mentioned.

And if its a sedan, I would suggest the Jetta Highline (MT or AT). Good to drive, high on safety, and got a very comfortable back seat.
Old 13th July 2014, 13:04   #314
Senior - BHPian

I am going to ignore most of the details you provided and just say it: You want a comfortable, safe car. That's it.

So here are your options:
If you're thinking of an SUV, drop all the ones based on trucks (paj, t-fort etc.) and go for the Hyundai Santa Fe (pains me to recommend a Hyundai, but trust me, it's that good)
Renault Fluence is another car I highly recommend you try out (could pm you more reasons as to why its so good)
Old 13th July 2014, 16:47   #315
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Background

Basic Requirements
  • Comfortable. Period.
  • ASS not as issue.
If I were in your place, I would just sell the Ikon and buy a petrol City. With you're budget, you can buy it and spend rest $$$ on petrol.

Reasons:
  • Good dynamics
  • Very spacious
  • Legendary reliability
  • SV variant has all safety you need
  • And yes, best of all, I-VTEC is extremely fun to drive

Only be aware of the low seating position.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks