Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2012, 13:29   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow Bhpians

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post
Thanks akshay. Am based out of Chennai. Was considering X1 S20D. Just out of curiosity is I Drive an absolute must have ?? 320 D base is an interesting option. But I guess OTR price + BSI would over shoot the upper limit a bit.
I should have mentioned the 20-30 L was OTR price band.
Its not a must, but the added features you get in the Exclusive variant are great to have. My suggestion is try for the Exclusive, push for a good discount. I'm sure you will get 4l+ since a facelift is due soon and the X1 is not doing particularly well.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 13:38   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Its not a must, but the added features you get in the Exclusive variant are great to have. My suggestion is try for the Exclusive, push for a good discount. I'm sure you will get 4l+ since a facelift is due soon and the X1 is not doing particularly well.
Just to add to your comment. The X1's have a 10 day offer of 21 lakhs ex showroom. I would suggest this be looked into as well.
Old 14th September 2012, 14:22   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
the X1 is not doing particularly well.
On what terms? Do you mean to say, its not going well on the sales? As far as I know, the X1 is doing well in its home country(in terms of reliability) as well as elsewhere too! Whether its a sales dud or a market leader is something different. But, personally, I don't mind going for a sales dud, provided its reliable and a car that my heart wants. I hope you will agree with me on that, right?

Quote:
Thanks akshay. Am based out of Chennai. Was considering X1 S20D. Just out of curiosity is I Drive an absolute must have ?? 320 D base is an interesting option. But I guess OTR price + BSI would over shoot the upper limit a bit.
I should have mentioned the 20-30 L was OTR price band.
I feel X1 should suit you the best. Why not a Fortuner? Looking only for a sedan? Hey, did you check the Audi Q3?(I am not sure if it has been launched). Its one rare SUV you get to see on roads and the colour options are really nice.
I drive is not a must, but a very useful tool to have. You would surely miss it at some point, hence, if you are going for a BMW, go for one with I-Drive. Well, only if you could squeeze out some more vitamin M, but surely worthy tool.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 14th September 2012 at 14:27.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 15:06   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Middle of the road car or not, drive the 2.0T and let the car do the talking.
Annoying comments dismissing Audi will always exist sadly but drive the 2 TFSI and then if you feel the Merc is better then i would say the deal is fair.
Am sorry I annoyed you but I checked the Audi India website before posting and the only engine option in petrol is the 1.8TFSI. The S4 of course is insane but it is in another budget range altogether. The A4 *is* middle-of-the-road in my opinion, it has neither the enthusiast appeal of the 3-series nor the classiness of the C-class. Anyway it's just an opinion so saketa can feel free to disregard it.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 16:15   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
I feel X1 should suit you the best. Why not a Fortuner? Looking only for a sedan? Hey, did you check the Audi Q3?(I am not sure if it has been launched). Its one rare SUV you get to see on roads and the colour options are really nice.
I drive is not a must, but a very useful tool to have. You would surely miss it at some point, hence, if you are going for a BMW, go for one with I-Drive. Well, only if you could squeeze out some more vitamin M, but surely worthy tool.
AK. I am more a sedan guy. Would be living all by myself in Chennai and an SUV would be just too big for me and I expect it to be an hassle to drive by myself through the city each and every time. I went on an TD on the Passat but the car stalled enroute. I didnt bother asking what happened ( I should have) . So thats goodbye by VW. Had I got an Accord 2.4 or Camry AT in Diesel, I would have already booked one of them. Diesel Heart is absolutely important. I went on an TD on the cruze. Liked it and is easy on the pocket too. I was looking for something more premium that the cruze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Just to add to your comment. The X1's have a 10 day offer of 21 lakhs ex showroom. I would suggest this be looked into as well.

Thanks speedy .. I am not in India yet and should be there by the mid of next month. So the purchase should be done by the end of October.
It would have been an fantastic deal though !!
Old 14th September 2012, 17:08   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AK. I am more a sedan guy. Would be living all by myself in Chennai and an SUV would be just too big for me and I expect it to be an hassle to drive by myself through the city each and every time.
Roger, that's copied.

Then in that case, you can look for may be used Merc E/Audi 4/6/BMW 3/5?
I guess, since the new 3 is out, the older gen model will attract some discount and freebies, give a call to BMW showroom and check out once you are back in India.
How about a Nissan Teana/skoda Superb VRS ?
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 17:44   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Am sorry I annoyed you but I checked the Audi India website before posting and the only engine option in petrol is the 1.8TFSI. The S4 of course is insane but it is in another budget range altogether. The A4 *is* middle-of-the-road in my opinion, it has neither the enthusiast appeal of the 3-series nor the classiness of the C-class. Anyway it's just an opinion so saketa can feel free to disregard it.
It'l be nice to see you say that after a rendezvous with my vehicle. Trust me i dont need an S4 to prove my point.
In no way am i forcing you to love a brand that you perhaps do not follow but dismissing it ? i DONT agree. Sorry !
A few minutes in my car would be enough for you to name it alongside your beloved 530d i daresay (i know you dont own 1 but you have not minced words in expressing your love for the 530d and at the sametime dismissing even good Audis for some godforsaken reason) . For your sake i hope that day comes soon ( when you sense an A4 3.0) so you might perhaps appreciate a REAL Audi...viz a Quattro not an FWD atleast enough for you to not just dismiss them as push-overs. If a BMW (& 530d i specify since its you) lover like me can love this car , am sure a car-lover such as yourself will appreciate what is a good machine.
What's noteworthy is i chose this over an f10 530d for is sheer rarity and a more ferocious power delivery vis a vis the big BMW. I know you will believe me the day you sit in an A4 3.0 TDi.
Lets hold our horses until then.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 14th September 2012 at 17:53.
Old 14th September 2012, 17:59   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

@PlatzdaTurbo- A clarification is in order: I'm talking about the A4 1.8TFSI (which as I already pointed out is the ONLY petrol option other than the S4 offered in India right now, at least according to Audi India's website) and you keep taking the discussion to the 2.0TFSI and now the 3.0TDi!

My "middle-of-the-road" comments are to be interpreted in the context of the 1.8TFSI with the CVT transmission *only* please. FYI, I do *not* own a 530d (yet) and am not an Audi-basher by any means. Just helping ole saketa along with his buying decision.

Let's stop this, we've gone OT enough I think. Please PM me if you want to continue this discussion.
Old 14th September 2012, 18:08   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@PlatzdaTurbo- A clarification is in order: I'm talking about the A4 1.8TFSI (which as I already pointed out is the ONLY petrol option other than the S4 offered in India right now, at least according to Audi India's website) and you keep taking the discussion to the 2.0TFSI and now the 3.0TDi!

My "middle-of-the-road" comments are to be interpreted in the context of the 1.8TFSI with the CVT transmission *only* please. FYI, I do *not* own a 530d (yet) and am not an Audi-basher by any means. Just helping ole saketa along with his buying decision.

Let's stop this, we've gone OT enough I think. Please PM me if you want to continue this discussion.

When i posted i was not aware that the 2.0 TFSI is not offered anymore. So when i took the post to the 2.0T it was because i recommended it to the bhpian concerned. The 3.0 TDi only came up as from my end i am defending a car and a brand that i quite admire. (& this after having read some of your Audi comments in the past and ignoring them)
About you not owning one, i edited the post appropriately if you noticed.
Lastly, if you are not an Audi basher even better. Just thought i could perhaps make you change your mind about Audis.
I have no intentions of picking a fight with you over it so its a stalemate. LOL
Peace out.
Old 14th September 2012, 19:03   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketa View Post
Hey! They seem to have done away with the 2.0 because on the price list they gave me the only engine options available are the 1.8 Tfsi and 2.0 TDi
Your are right! No 2.0 TFSI in the facelifted a4. I was in a similar dilemma 2 months back. Excatly the same situation. Decision had to be made between the a4 1.8T and the c200.

I chose the c200 avantgarde.

Reasons:
Better exterior looks
7G tronic
Smaller (i wanted the car to be compact)
Panaromic sunroof
More features ( safety and luxury)

The clincher was a good discount and the 3 yrs service package they threw in for free!

That being said the audi a4 MMI is way superior. Even if you do go for the a4 make sure you get the fully loaded version with memory seats, front parking sensors and 17inch alloys (think its called the WCI package).

You cant go wrong with either of the two though. Good luck

Here's what i mean by better exterior looks!!
25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians-imag0028..jpg

25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians-img2012083000001..jpg

Last edited by vinj14 : 14th September 2012 at 19:05.
vinj14 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 21:26   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
On what terms? Do you mean to say, its not going well on the sales? As far as I know, the X1 is doing well in its home country(in terms of reliability) as well as elsewhere too! Whether its a sales dud or a market leader is something different. But, personally, I don't mind going for a sales dud, provided its reliable and a car that my heart wants. I hope you will agree with me on that, right?
Well I'm talking about India of course, I mean saketa is buying a car in India isn't he? And well going by what I've heard at a couple of showrooms is that the X1 isn't really selling too much right now, the facelift should fix that.
Old 14th September 2012, 22:15   #102
BHPian

Quote:
I went on an TD on the Passat but the car stalled enroute. I didnt bother asking what happened ( I should have)
The Passat didn't stall, it switched itself off, and I'm sure it would have switched back on after you had taken your foot of the brake. That's bluemotion, and works automatically to increase it's fuel efficiency. I suppose the F30 has it too now.
NeedaUsername is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 00:02   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedaUsername View Post
The Passat didn't stall, it switched itself off, and I'm sure it would have switched back on after you had taken your foot of the brake. That's bluemotion, and works automatically to increase it's fuel efficiency. I suppose the F30 has it too now.
Never knew Volkswagen were that over enthusiastic with their blue motion technology. They went a bit over board with their enthusiasm that the car never started even when my foot when off the brake pedal. Well neither the SE nor the VW driver who accompanied us during the test drive was able to start the engine. I waited for 2 minutes at the spot. I was requested to sit in the seat while the driver and SE pushed the car to as side with HAZARDS ON. I got down thanked them for their time and picked up an Auto and went back to the showroom and drove off home bidding Volkswagen a good bye !!
Old 15th September 2012, 00:02   #104
Team-BHP Support

The 2-liter TFSI was priced more than 30 lakhs anyway, right?

I've been in a few BMWs and a good friend of mine owns a 2010 Audi A4 2.0T. It's a great car. The class - inside out - is immediately apparent. It feels 'richer' than the BMW and even the Mercedes, dare I say it. There is something about the quality of the plastics, the leather and the bits generally (n the A4) that the 3 and the C just don't have. This is my opinion, of course. It could have been the 'beige' interior that gives it that particular feel. But I genuinely feel that the A4's interior is a little better.

It's another thing that the transmission is a let-down (did the 2.0T come with a DSG? I'm not sure. From what I know, only the Audi Quattro variants in India are fitted with DSGs) and that it's (possibly) FWD (I'm most certain that the face-lifted 1.8 is mated to a CVT and is FWD) and that saps some of the enthusiasm you'd otherwise experience in a BMW - again something that isn't easy to point out if you're a typical A-B driver who isn't familiar with cars but likes them anyway.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th September 2012 at 00:04.
Old 15th September 2012, 11:49   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
(did the 2.0T come with a DSG? I'm not sure. From what I know, only the Audi Quattro variants in India are fitted with DSGs) and that it's (possibly) FWD (I'm most certain that the face-lifted 1.8 is mated to a CVT and is FWD) and that saps some of the enthusiasm you'd otherwise experience in a BMW - again something that isn't easy to point out if you're a typical A-B driver who isn't familiar with cars but likes them anyway.

Its a mixed bag with Audis. To answer a few of your queries -
Yes the 2.0T was an fwd ,possibly the only let down in an otherwise pleasant car. The gearbox was not a CVT (IIRC) but a 6-speed tiptronic.
7-speed DSGs are mated to cars which do not have extremely high torque figures. This particular module of DSG (the 7-speed) has no tolerance to torque figures above 450NM apparently (figure keeps changing with face-lifts) hence the 3.0 TDi variants tend to have 6-speed tiptronic gearboxes in place of DSGs though there are exceptions.
In case of the 2.0T though, if my memory serves me correct it was not a CVT.

Most Viewed