Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 10:35   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow Bhpians

A friend of mine recently bought a 10 month old Passat highline in Bangalore for Rs 26L - a new one costs 36L!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 12:34   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnd View Post

Abs182, you've really hit the nail on the head but perhaps not noticed it. For your requirements and for anyone looking for a car in the 20-35 lakh rupees range, there is no better alternative than the Fortuner. You will get bullet proof reliability, a tall stance and commanding view and the best resale value of any of the cars mentioned. BMWs make sense but offer space only from the 5 Series onward. Spares for the VWs are disproportionately priced in India and in any case Hondas, VWs, Skodas are out of their league here when compared to the more premium German brands. An Audi A4 makes sense for you too, but it's cramped inside and costs 6-7 lakh more than the Fortuner, thus will prove less practical.

I would join the long Fortuner booking queue, without delay if I were you! It's in such great demand for good reason..
Beg to differ here.

It seems you haven't checked out the new F30 3 series yet. It trumps the F10 5 series in terms of backseat space and comfort. Please do check it out.

Although if you aren't going to go for the Beemer, i would strongly recommend that you buy a fortuner. It just doesn't make sense to spend 30L and get a passat instead of a Beemer. I mean who in their right mind would do that!

The fortuner is great for all the above mentioned traits. And with the new 5 speed automatic now available, fortuner is as good as it could've gotten.
Old 12th April 2013, 13:58   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Beg to differ here.
It seems you haven't checked out the new F30 3 series yet.

The fortuner is great for all the above mentioned traits. And with the new 5 speed automatic now available, fortuner is as good as it could've gotten.
I have not compared the F30 3 series to the Accord/Camry/Teana as far as rear seat legroom and comfort goes. However I dont think any SUV (German or Jap) would offer the same degree of rear seat comfort as a sedan can. SUVs with their high center of gravity and body roll will inherently be less comfortable over potholled city roads.
Old 12th April 2013, 14:02   #154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Beg to differ here.

It seems you haven't checked out the new F30 3 series yet. It trumps the F10 5 series in terms of backseat space and comfort. Please do check it out
The F30 is close to the 5 when it comes to rear seat space, but the back seat of the F10 is better, especially when it comes to under thigh support.
Old 12th April 2013, 14:20   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
lamborghini made some good points.

IF and only IF you can get a 5 series, E class or A6 that is sparingly used, in good condition and hopefully with part of the warranty still available they are your best options. Last year I was in the same position and the 2 cars I saw did not fulfill these criteria. Also remember TOC over 5 years for a 50L german car will be double that of a 30L Jap car. In addition to this the Big 3 often dont have spares on hand so sometimes you might have a few days wait to get your car back.

The auto industry is in doldrums. I would hence use this leverage and get a good deal from Toyota (if pricing is the only issue you have with the Camry).

You can look at what pushed me towards my decision to buy a camry here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-review.html

The Superb is a good car but the ones that are reliable are all diesel and when it comes to diesels under 30L the Passat still feels better sitting behind the steering wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnd View Post
Abs182, you've really hit the nail on the head but perhaps not noticed it. For your requirements and for anyone looking for a car in the 20-35 lakh rupees range, there is no better alternative than the Fortuner. You will get bullet proof reliability, a tall stance and commanding view and the best resale value of any of the cars mentioned. BMWs make sense but offer space only from the 5 Series onward. Spares for the VWs are disproportionately priced in India and in any case Hondas, VWs, Skodas are out of their league here when compared to the more premium German brands. An Audi A4 makes sense for you too, but it's cramped inside and costs 6-7 lakh more than the Fortuner, thus will prove less practical.

I would join the long Fortuner booking queue, without delay if I were you! It's in such great demand for good reason..
Thank you guys for your inputs. It was your review of Camry Navin that I was eagerly waiting and to tell you the truth Camry launch was the only thing I was awaiting when I first decided to change my Corolla however its a stupid reason but I haven't seen a single Camry in my city since its launch and that is really putting me off it plus the price they ask to pay-up. On top of that the local dealership will only order the car once I place a firm order with them and they flatly refused to arrange for a TD as they don't have nay cars with the !

Coming to the fortunner was again considered due the happy experience with the corolla but the other two drivers in my family i.e. my dad and my wife flatly refused it looking at its size in flesh. So apart for me and the driver I don;t think anyone else will touch it with even a barge pole !

Honestly, I'm exhausted for the 1st time in my life about buying a car. Never ever have I struggled so much with a car purchase. Normally I know before hand what I want and just get it when the time comes but this time its become a nice pigs breakfast of things !
Old 12th April 2013, 15:35   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
Thank you guys for your inputs. It was your review of Camry Navin that I was eagerly waiting and to tell you the truth Camry launch was the only thing I was awaiting when I first decided to change my Corolla however its a stupid reason but I haven't seen a single Camry in my city since its launch...
Dont go by one review alone (leave alone mine). I see a few Camrys in Mumbai. At the same time many of my friends prefer a base C220 to an Accord/Camry because they are self driven and the 3 pointed star was more important to them than rear seat comfort.

List out your top 5 requirements. It will become clearer.

If you dont mind an oil burner the Passat/Superb are good options too. I wont discuss the 3 series/C class/A4 as I know very little about these. What I can say for sure is that the E250 and 350 dont have significantly better rear seat comfort than the Camry or Teana.

Sure the German cars are fun to drive but the the Japs (read as Accord/Camry) are ahead when it comes to reliability and TCO.
Old 13th April 2013, 16:06   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Dont go by one review alone (leave alone mine). I see a few Camrys in Mumbai. At the same time many of my friends prefer a base C220 to an Accord/Camry because they are self driven and the 3 pointed star was more important to them than rear seat comfort.

List out your top 5 requirements. It will become clearer.
The Top 6 requirements are:

1.) Seats 4 adults + 1 infant comfortably i.e. back seat should be plush
2.) Total cost of ownership should be reasonable i.e. regular maintenance etc.
3.) Should be durable to withstand at least 5 to 7 years of ownership
4.) Something that is both chauffeur and self driven friendly because the other 2 drivers in my family my dad and my wife are 'cash and tango' of the driving world
5.) Should be a reasonable upgrade from my Corolla
6.) Would prefer a diesel and I use the word 'prefer' advisedly!
Old 13th April 2013, 17:17   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

4.) Something that is both chauffeur and self driven friendly because the other 2 drivers in my family my dad and my wife are 'cash and tango' of the driving world
Under 30L new on road Mumbai (I assume Baroda on road is a little less) only the Kisashi, Superb, Accord and Camry qualify. The Passat is almost there too. Beyond this are the used Germans. Won't Toyota give you some loyalty bonus and sweeten the deal?

The Kisashi is very good VFM but has a little less legroom than the Superb, Accord, Passat or Camry.
The Passat/Superb would be the best driving experiences with Kisashi close behind.

Your wife might like the Kisashi as it feels a trifle smaller.
Old 13th April 2013, 19:48   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Except for Superb, most EU cars below 50L range have so-so back seat. Not "plush". Firm seating, can't seat 3 etc.

TCO is significantly more for EU cars, esp compared to Corolla.

Durability is decent for all cars in 25+ price range.

Self-drive: I will risk the fury of the forum but a humble Polo feels better to drive than majority of non-EU cars including their 25L range. It is a cliche comment but it is true. We bought corolla and city etc but clearly for use with drivers. I even flogged a Corsa till it came apart instead of taking the Corolla for a drive. Corolla is going strong even after some 1L km whereas all EU cars start troubling us right off the showroom with fancy bills as well. No offense but Toyota cars appeal the least to the driver inside me. Honda can be a good compromise if you dont want to deal with the EU ownership headache but Accord is not such a great package in the market.

If rear seat is the most important, Camry is probably a good choice. If someone in the family appreciates a good drive enough to put up with a bit of ownership headache, Superb would be a good option. Would CRV work for you?
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 21:47   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Except for Superb, most EU cars below 50L range have so-so back seat. Not "plush". Firm seating, can't seat 3 etc.

TCO is significantly more for EU cars, esp compared to Corolla.

Durability is decent for all cars in 25+ price range.

Would CRV work for you?
The CRV was again a contenter but the official review had some glaring disappointments like lack of low-end torque, Tire and wind Noise at highway speeds plus an optimistic FE of under 9 in city is a dampner and the non confidence inspiring electronic steering. Why do I rely on the team bhp review and not a TD? simply because the showroom refuses to give one as they order cars and display them till they're sold!

I loved the car in flesh when I saw it in the showroom but putting down 25 lacs without a TD on a car which anyway isn't selling in great numbers is a bit beyond my reasoning. Any other car that I should await? I.e. the new octavia or the face lifted superb? All inputs are welcome.
Old 14th April 2013, 12:05   #161
BHPian

Dear abs182,

This may help you . This is how I arrived at my decision. (I had no constraint of budget ).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-review.html
Old 14th April 2013, 14:45   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The CRV was again a contenter but the official review had some glaring disappointments like lack of low-end torque, Tire and wind Noise at highway speeds plus an optimistic FE of under 9 in city is a dampner and the non confidence inspiring electronic steering. Why do I rely on the team bhp review and not a TD? simply because the showroom refuses to give one as they order cars and display them till they're sold!

I loved the car in flesh when I saw it in the showroom but putting down 25 lacs without a TD on a car which anyway isn't selling in great numbers is a bit beyond my reasoning. Any other car that I should await? I.e. the new octavia or the face lifted superb? All inputs are welcome.
Would still suggest you TD the CRV-AT before rejecting it.

New octavia is not likely to be much better in terms of rear comfort. Superb facelift has improved the rear and spoiled the front look. So I am not too excited about it, better to pick a good bargain off the current lot.

On a lighter note, you earned a lot of good karma by driving Corolla for so long. Go ahead and indulge yourself this time ;-) What's the starting price for C class in your city? Mercedes offers 3+1yrs warranty and even though C is not terribly spacious I feel it will be appreciated by the family assuming you are not 6' crowd. People say the current C will be replaced, etc. but so what. It usually offers a nice opportunity to get a decent bargain on a fully proven product. Once you keep C-class range on your radar, other cars like CRV will start looking VFM so it does help

A4 - hard to justify when passat/superb offer better value. 3 Series - not the car if 50% usage is chauffeur driven. Fortuner - doesn't offer what I need (luxury) and don't need what it offers (bulk, offroad)
Old 14th April 2013, 20:48   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
If rear seat is the most important, Camry is probably a good choice. If someone in the family appreciates a good drive enough to put up with a bit of ownership headache, Superb would be a good option. Would CRV work for you?
The CRV does not have the rear seat comfort of the Camry, Teana or Accord. In fact I find vehicles like the CRV (SUV bodies on car chassis) offer the worst of both worlds. They don't have the rear seat comfort of an equivalent sedan nor the off road capabilities of a true SUV or for that matter any better ground clearance than the sedan chassis they are based on. So you get body roll due to the taller body without the advantage of higher ground clearance. If you are intent on a SUV (and are willing to sacrifice the rear seat comfort) the Fortuner might be the best option under 30L and this side of the Freelander. Sadly the stripped down Freelander robs it of much of the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmoysc View Post
Exactly my thoughts too.

Oh BTW we worked out the ICE challenge. It cost a bit but for me it is money well spent. PM me if you need details but be prepared to cross the 2L barrier if you want to do it well.

Last edited by navin : 15th April 2013 at 08:07.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 15:10   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Considering the above 6 requirements, a VW Jetta TDI Highline DSG is all you need. Yes, it may be in the same segment/size as the Corolla, but IMO the car do feel as an upgrade from the Toyota. The Jetta got a decent backseat, powerful engine, loaded on safety with 6 airbags, ABS, ESP etc. And if you are not in a hurry, it may be worth waiting to see what the new Octavia has to offer.

If petrol is an option, the CRV or Superb TSI MT are a couple of good options to consider. The latter may even come at a cheaper price point than the Jetta Highline TDI. The Camry is a good car, but if I am a buyer spending 25+ lakhs, I will expect atleast 6 airbags and ESP/VSC as standard.

Whichever car you choose in this segment, do make sure that you have a competent dealership/ASC in your city.
Old 15th April 2013, 15:19   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
A friend of mine recently bought a 10 month old Passat highline in Bangalore for Rs 26L - a new one costs 36L!
In Delhi you can get an A6 for 36. Man Bangalore is expensive for cars. Road quality in Bangalore must be stuff of dreams.

Most Viewed