Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2014, 10:21   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians

Here's an interesting question. My dad needs a replacement for his Superb 1.8 tsi with a budget of around 30L. Trouble is, none of the other options in the 20-30 range come close to the superb in terms of backseat comfort and space. Not keen on the Fortuner because it really is nowhere close to the superb in terms of interiors and comfort, plus it is way too bumpy for daily city use. The Germans are too cramped in the back and I'm not convinced the Passat (if available at all) is a good option over the Superb. Also not sure about the new Santa Fe... 30L+ and Hyundai...? I'm somehow stuck on the face-lifted superb as the only option. Any suggestions?
Old 23rd March 2014, 10:24   #272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Also not sure about the new Santa Fe... 30L+ and Hyundai...? I'm somehow stuck on the face-lifted superb as the only option. Any suggestions?
Why not sure on this front? You should give it a serious consideration in my opinion. The face lifted version is quite good a product.
Old 23rd March 2014, 10:33   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also not sure about the new Santa Fe... 30L+ and Hyundai...? I'm somehow stuck on the face-lifted superb as the only option. Any suggestions?
Superb is a very very difficult car to replace. I am afraid of the day my uncle calls me asking what car to replace his superb with in Kolkata. Hopefully not before 2016.

Closest you can get is the Santa Fe. Rear legroom is lesser but not bad at all. Superb has excess legroom whereas this has ample.

Other options you have are the CR-V and the Camry Hybrid.

CR-V feels a step down from Superb. Interiors are just about ok and the old school 5 speed torque converter is a gas guzzler.

Camry Hybrid is the only car that will match the Superb on comfort. It is loaded with features like electrically reclinable rear seat, 3 zone AC, rear sunblinds.

Onroad will be slightly above 30 in Kolkata but is a unique option. Plus you get brilliant FE.

Don't expect fun to drive, just luxury and comfort all the way.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 10:37   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Why not sure on this front? You should give it a serious consideration in my opinion. The face lifted version is quite good a product.
Hard to quantity this thought, just somehow doesn't click.. upgrading to a hyundai after a superb. But fair enough, will give the Santa Fe a look see.

As it stands, the two options are the Santa Fe and the face lifted superb. Any other suggestions?
Old 23rd March 2014, 10:40   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Camry Hybrid. Has rear seat recline. Ventilated seats. Not sure if waiting period has come down now.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 10:49   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Toyota Camry Hybrid. Has rear seat recline. Ventilated seats. Not sure if waiting period has come down now.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html
No rear curtain airbags though, right? Dad will always be in back seat, so this is a serious limitation for me, especially since the competition (and his existing Superb) offer this.

@Vid - Dad used the CRV before changing to the Superb and he likes the Superb more.
Old 23rd March 2014, 10:54   #277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No rear curtain airbags though, right? Dad will always be in back seat, so this is a serious limitation for me, especially since the competition (and his existing Superb) offer this.

@Vid - Dad used the CRV before changing to the Superb and he likes the Superb more.
That's the only feature missing in the Camry Hybrid, rear curtain airbags. But that's the problem. You will have some compromises.

The facelifted Superb is a decent option but remember it is just a stop gap arrangement for less than 2 years till the all new gen Superb is launched. Plus it's too similar to the Superb you already have especially interiors.

My vote still goes to the Camry Hybrid. The extra features as well as the Hybrid tech make it a worthy option.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:08   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Camry Hybrid is pretty well spec'ed compared to regular Camry. Do check it out. The Hybrid tech is pretty impressive and it will give you certain smoothness that is hard to get from regular engine blocks. I am sure there will be some important features missing but taking a test drive should help the decision making. It is a special car.
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:10   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Here's an interesting question. My dad needs a replacement for his Superb 1.8 tsi with a budget of around 30L. Trouble is, none of the other options in the 20-30 range come close to the superb in terms of backseat comfort and space. Not keen on the Fortuner because it really is nowhere close to the superb in terms of interiors and comfort, plus it is way too bumpy for daily city use. The Germans are too cramped in the back and I'm not convinced the Passat (if available at all) is a good option over the Superb. Also not sure about the new Santa Fe... 30L+ and Hyundai...? I'm somehow stuck on the face-lifted superb as the only option. Any suggestions?
I would vote Camry Hybrid as well. Floating on a carpet comes to mind when I think of this car.
It is so comfortable it is unfair. I drove one recently and agree driving is not a hallmark but who cares when you can't really feel any undulations of our roads.
Plus it is a Toyota and this is advanced tech for Indian standards. It is quite feature loaded as well. If you do get one get the blue LED glowing Toyota badge, it looks surreal at night.
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:12   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Camry Hybrid is pretty well spec'ed compared to regular Camry. Do check it out. The Hybrid tech is pretty impressive and it will give you certain smoothness that is hard to get from regular engine blocks. I am sure there will be some important features missing but taking a test drive should help the decision making. It is a special car.
I will definitely check it out. But despite all the features and gizmos, the lack of a rear curtain airbag is a huge downer. Which feature would you value more when your dad is in the backseat of a company owned car - a hybrid engine or airbags for the rear passenger?
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:14   #281
Senior - BHPian

Classic case hahaha every single on of us dreads the day when the person we recommended a Superb to, calls us to ask for a replacement Backseat space might just be unparalleled. Please do however, check out the Nissan Teana. To me, the comfort in that car is simply supreme. Your uncle ought to be able to score some discounts on the Teana too

The Camry no longer feels premium enough and Toyota's un-ethical stance on providing minimal features and safety to customers investing in a CBU, is simply disgusting.

Trust me, the Teana might not be any great shakes in terms of design, but the minute you sit inside, you know its purpose; which is solely to pamper you.

Cheers!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd March 2014 at 11:34.
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:20   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the need for the replacement? I really doubt the Santa Fe can match a sedan's back seat comfort and ride quality. And Superb is the segment leader in that under 30L rupee segment for the chauffeured class. The only logical change is an upgrade to the 5/E/6 category from here. So my suggestion is to hold on to the car till you are ready to increase the budget. I don't see much merit in changing it with another Superb specially when an all new one is around the corner. Also I would not really recommend the Camry hybrid as most people seem to suggest. The regular Camry hardly sells. The hybrid one will be an even more niche product. I generally tend to stay away from such extreme niche products that too as my daily drive.

Last edited by drmohitg : 23rd March 2014 at 11:24.
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:33   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians

Agree with Mohit. It's tough to replace a Superb. My car is almost 4 years old and despite all the issues I have had with it, I still recommend the Superb as the preferred choice in the price segment - even for those who drive themselves. The 3, C and A4 are costlier and less well equipped and make no sense at all if the rear seat is going to be regularly used. You are unlikely to get a car that offers as much unless you double your budget. The face lifted Superb looks like a new gen car and will not look stale even once the new Superb comes in (which is at least 2 years away).

As for the Camry Hybrid, it's cool to have a hybrid but shocking that Toyota neglected to offer at least 6 air bags.

Last edited by Hayek : 23rd March 2014 at 11:38.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:49   #284
Senior - BHPian

It's a 4 year old company car, and as per the company policy, it needs to be changed. Plus a Skoda gets less reliable over time, and there have been cases of this recently (car not starting, problems with the DSG etc). Budget is unlikely to be increased in the near future so an E/A6/5 are not going to be options.
I don't even recall the last time I saw a Teana. Is Nissan still selling it? I don't see it on Nissan's website.

Last edited by razor4077 : 23rd March 2014 at 11:51.
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:10   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Which feature would you value more when your dad is in the backseat of a company owned car - a hybrid engine or airbags for the rear passenger?
I don't have any expertise in these big cars, so was just browsing without any intention of replying, however- couldn't help appreciating the above statement. That's the right attitude, for sure.

It's truly difficult to replace the Superb. From most of the above replies- I understand that the biggest negative of the new Superb is that the new generation will be here in 2 years. But, considering that he will get the next replacement car in 4 years, does it really matter since you can anyways upgrade to the new Superb while it's still fresh in its product life cycle?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks