Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:23   #331
BHPian

Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow BHPians

The GLA is launching on the 30th of this month. Aims to compete with the Q3 and X1, so will be priced sensibly and may give you the ingress comfort that is required. Looks nice too. That could be an option
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:05   #332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Just read about the whole slip disc thing; getting in and out of a low slung sedan might be a little difficult. So why not try the Volvo V40? Practical, best seats around, looks great, rare, know a friend who owns one and she has had no reliability issues either.
I've spent the last few days experiencing the V40. A friend is looking to buy one and the Volvo showroom was kind enough to lend him a TD car for the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised and quite impressed by it.

Pros:

- Looks funky and contemporary inside-out!
- Great build-quality. Felt very solid.
- Interior fit-finish is right up there with the Mercs / BMWs / Audis. Very well appointed too! Quietly-spoken-class!
- Torquey diesel motor that sounds surprisingly brilliant! Very refined and has a distinct growl when poked. Three-cheers to 5-cylinders!
- Ride / handling is superb. Compliant over the rough-stuff and composed on smooth roads. Takes the corners very well too!
- Sedan / hatch like manners with just enough ground-clearance to clear most speed-breakers and manage rough roads.
- Loaded to the gills with gizmos.

Cons:

- The back seat is contoured for leaner people. Large folks may find it uncomfortable on longer journeys. It's a strict 4-seater!
- Sunroof with auto-blind is a nifty feature. Too bad that it's fixed.
- Ingress / egress is not the best, especially at the back.
- Gearbox is slow in tiptronic mode. Took a whole second (or maybe more) to upshift.
- The boot is quite small. Will take 2 medium-sized suitcases and a few knick-knacks at the max.
- 42 Lakhs OTR Bangalore makes it a fairly expensive proposition in the company of the Q3 / upcoming GLA. The Audi / Merc offer more space, better GC and better engines / gearboxes at the same price.

The problem with the V40 is that it's more of a A-Class / B-Class / 1-Series competitor. It is essentially a large hatch that's dressed to look like a cross-over (like the poverty-cars: Cross-Polo / Etios-Cross / Fiat Avventura) and not a proper cross-over like the Q3 / GLA.

I'd definitely take a V40 Cross-Country over the BMW X1, which has started to look absolutely stupid. I may even consider the V40 over the A-Class if I get a superb discount (which you would) but if I'm looking for a cross-over / compact-SUV, the GLA is a no-brainer.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 06:20   #333
BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I have TD'ed all the SUVs mentioned here. I didnt look at sedans because I didnt want to get into another low slung car. The germans were too expensive and small for my budget.

Currently, the CRV ticks all the boxes for me - safety, reliability, comfort, automatic etc. Other than the fact that it is a petrol SUV (which means higher running costs and poor resale value), are there any other things I should be aware of if I am going to be buying it?
Old 25th September 2014, 08:08   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'd definitely take a V40 Cross-Country over the BMW X1, which has started to look absolutely stupid. I may even consider the V40 over the A-Class if I get a superb discount (which you would) but if I'm looking for a cross-over / compact-SUV, the GLA is a no-brainer.
Plus 1 to all your observations. It's a brilliant product which is only suffering due to the CBU tag and hence the higher price tag.

Surprised that it is costing 42l OTR in Bangalore. My gosh! It was costing me 32L OTR in Delhi last year and a lac lesser if I opt for haryana registration. But are you getting discounts on it? When I enquired last year, they told me that there are absolutely no discounts as it's a niche product and they order kits only after getting confirmed bookings. If they would have shaved off a couple of lacs , I would have bought this instead of the 3 which was also costing 33l after discounts.
Old 25th September 2014, 08:55   #335
Team-BHP Support

As an option to the Fortuner, a Pajero Sport makes sense, as does the Isuzu MU-7 (wherever it is available)

New Ford Endevour when out, should prove to be a worthy competitor to the Fortuner.
Old 25th September 2014, 09:12   #336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Plus 1 to all your observations. It's a brilliant product which is only suffering due to the CBU tag and hence the higher price tag.

Surprised that it is costing 42l OTR in Bangalore. My gosh! It was costing me 32L OTR in Delhi last year and a lac lesser if I opt for haryana registration. But are you getting discounts on it? When I enquired last year, they told me that there are absolutely no discounts as it's a niche product and they order kits only after getting confirmed bookings. If they would have shaved off a couple of lacs , I would have bought this instead of the 3 which was also costing 33l after discounts.
It's true! The CBU tag is what's killing this otherwise very competent product. Not only is it more accommodating than the likes of the A and the 1, it's loaded with equipment and tech that makes it a compelling package. The biggest selling point for me would be the image it brings to the table, in spite of the A Class being around.

Volvo in Bangalore would be happy to knock off a few lakhs if you show genuine interest in this product. But even at 37 lakhs, it isn't VFM by any stretch of imagination.

Let's not forget that the Audi A3 was launched recently. It's certainly not a car from the Gods, as ACI has made it out to be. But in comparison to everything else around, it is the default choice IMO. You get two superb engine options mated to proven gearboxes in a package that's hard to beat. It's also the only premium offering in the bunch that has a boot. Both the Merc and BMW are woefully underpowered and lack cabin-room. The Volvo may have the poke and may do a better job accommodating passengers, but the price tag simply can't justify the product.
Old 15th October 2014, 20:13   #337
BHPian

Pre-loved 530d - Help me out, oh gurus!

Evening folks,

Mother-dearest has, of late, decided that our 2012 Hyundai Verna has taken enough of a battering (I say that in jest, she's been maintained well!). We've been offered 7.25 lac for the car, which has run 30,000kms and is an SX Diesel-Auto, which seems like a fair price, although not being too savvy with the used car markets, I cannot be 100% sure. Any input on this would be great, however, that is besides the point.

After receiving our brand-spanking new E200 earlier this year, it's fairly safe to say we've been bitten by the german-bug

Now, after driving the E200 around for a bit, I found it.. Adequate. The gearbox was wonky (not a fan of Mercedes' 7G-Tronic. It's slow and dimwitted when you want a little fun. It also kicks down with a rather undignified jolt, and lacks the smoothness a ZF box has.), and the engine is just about enough to move the car along, but holds nothing in store for the "enthusiast". The car is used as a family car, carrying around elders and the like, so I suppose it's passable. It's the build quality, silence and comfort that had us.

Thus, the decision was made to acquire a Bavarian mistress.. Namely, a 530d, which I'm completely smitten by. The power and torque.. Oh the POWER AND TORQUE! It's absolutely wunderbar!

I'm relegated to looking for a pre-owned vehicle (<40 Lacs), as another new car at this stage is out of the question.

Currently, in Mumbai, there are two vehicles which fit the bill.

1) A 2010 530d. This car is going for silly cheap, 28.5 lacs, but has high mileage (~50k) and relatively shoddy trim. The service documents also exist only up-till 2012, and 27k, after which it is claimed that the "driver's constantly forget the book.", not overly confidence-inducing. Nevertheless, I'm sure a call to Navnit/Infinity will verify the work done and mileage required. I've also asked what the cost of replacing the center console trim, and worn out buttons will be.

Overall, this car doesn't seem like a very good buy. It requires immediate attention to the interior, and also doesn't have the toys required or expected of a 530d (HUD, Nav, backup camera, etc.).

2) A 2011 530d. Super low mileage for a 3 Year Old, 18k, but a relatively high price. The seller wants 38 lacs for it. I will be going to see the car in person on Saturday, but overall, she seems in tip-top shape. Trim looks good, and so do all the buttons. The car definitely looks like it's done only 18k, but again, you can never be too sure, and as soon as I get the VIN, I'll be calling Navnit/Infinity to check on the car's status. It's said that the car has all the requisite service docs (as many as an 18k car can have ), and I will verify such upon my viewing of the car.

This car has all the toys (HUD, Nav, backup camera, etc.), and seems like a decent buy, although I'm unsure of the price. Is it a fair one? I'll be planning to haggle down to approx. 35 lacs.

I seem to be leaning toward the low mileage vehicle. I prefer its color and trim, but most importantly the interior is in good condition. Clocking in at 18k means it's done just 6k a year, and I think that's acceptable for a SoBo car.

--

I'm really quite sorry about the wall of text, but I'm looking forward to you fellas' input and thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th October 2014 at 20:58. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 19:05   #338
BANNED

Re: Pre-loved 530d - Help me out, oh gurus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
I'm really quite sorry about the wall of text, but I'm looking forward to you fellas' input and thoughts on the matter.
I would pick up the lower mileage model too, however, I would suggest that you scout around for a few more cars in the pre-owned market. Bombay is a huge place and with luck and some patience, you should find a few more options.
Old 19th October 2014, 00:18   #339
Team-BHP Support

If the car has HUD and NAV then it would be really late 2011, or 2012. 18k kms is nothing if the car has been well maintained. I would take that over the high mileage one any day. What is the colour/trim on this car?
Old 19th October 2014, 02:08   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
If the car has HUD and NAV then it would be really late 2011, or 2012. 18k kms is nothing if the car has been well maintained. I would take that over the high mileage one any day. What is the colour/trim on this car?

It's a Monaco Blue 530d with White/Black interiors. Lovely looking thing.

I believe the man was saying something about the car having the HUD, but not having NAV.. Is that at all possible?
Old 19th October 2014, 10:11   #341
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy View Post
It's a Monaco Blue 530d with White/Black interiors. Lovely looking thing.

I believe the man was saying something about the car having the HUD, but not having NAV.. Is that at all possible?
Very unlikely. The engine was updated to the 258bhp one, and the HUD, NAV and reversing camera were added in the beginning of 2012 if I remember correctly. So it either has all or none.
Old 19th October 2014, 13:46   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Very unlikely. The engine was updated to the 258bhp one, and the HUD, NAV and reversing camera were added in the beginning of 2012 if I remember correctly. So it either has all or none.

Exactly what I thought, thanks for confirming.

Plans to see the car on Saturday fell through, so I'm looking at Tuesday/Wednesday now.
Old 1st March 2015, 11:04   #343
BHPian

Automatic SUV under 20L: Used/ New

Hi Bhpians,

Here's to my first thread!
Team BHP has been a great resource in influencing all my car purchase decisions in the past four years or so and the time has come again. This time to upgrade our 2008 Corolla Altis GL. I have always appreciated the beauty of lateral upgrades and have managed to my family to consider a used car this time.

We are working on a purchase for my middle-aged mother. Here's what her requirements are:

1. Automatic! This is a must.
2. Maneuverable dimensions for exclusive City use
3. High seating with good/ adjustable lumbar support (King of the road feeling I presume)
4. No preference of fuel. We are open to petrols. Max usage will be hardly 300km/ month. Exclusively city usage.
5. Ownership period: 3-5 years.
6. Xenon lighting. Not a compulsion. Always preferred

Here's what I've shortlisted to the best of my knowledge:

1. Brand New Ford Ecosport Titanium AT
2. 2013 Mercedes-Benz B180 Petrol
3. 2011/ 2012 BMW X1 (?low seating)
4. 2013 Honda CR-V (Hard to come by)

I look forward to hearing your opinion and suggestions. Happy Sunday, folks
Old 1st March 2015, 13:01   #344
BHPian

Re: Automatic SUV under 20L: Used/ New

I would say go with a petrol SUV - Ford Ecosport AT. Usage per month is low so millage should not be a concern, also why pay the extra maintenance costs that come along with a diesel car. Its a pretty good car and has low turning radius for city use.

As for second hand Mercedes-Benz and BMW, these may come at a decent deal but in maintenance and day to day parts replacement will still cost you a lot. I would recommend staying away from used diesel cars, one never knows how they have been used and your usage is quite low hence why take the trouble.
Old 1st March 2015, 13:07   #345
BHPian

Re: Automatic SUV under 20L: Used/ New

Hello Himanshu,

Will she be driving the car herself or will it be a chauffeur?

Having owned the Ecosport (detailed ownership review to come up shortly), I can say that the car is an absolute treat to drive in the city. The light steering wheel and high ground clearance makes it a good option for city use. I am not sure about the AT as I own a manual.

A couple of points that I feel do not work for the car are:
1. Poor visibility while making sharp turns due to the thick A pillars.
2. Unnecessary rear mounted spare wheel that causes a hindrance when you try and open up the boot in a tight spot.

Ford A.S.S. has been good (not great) so far.

All the best in your pursuit and do keep us posted on the outcome.

Cheers,
Saurabh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks