Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2011, 10:10   #1
BHPian

Range Rover Vogue or Sport or __?

Hi,
I'm posting this question on behalf of a very dear friend of mine who is looking to buy a luxury car with a budget of a crore here in Orissa and needs to buy/get delivery latest by 20th of May(Thats when he gets married!).
His garage currently has a 2010 Merc S350L (Dad's) and an 2011 Accord as his daily drive along with other cars for the family.

He doesn't really care if its a Sedan or SUV but if not a SUV, a convertible is preferred. What is extremely important is exclusivity and style(well, for a 25 year old!) and driving pleasure because it'll be self-driven.

M3: I'd initially suggested an M3 which he checked out in the month of March and fell in love with, but was informed by the dealer that the M3 would have to be made to order and he wouldn't get it by May.

Cayenne/Q7: Somehow he does not like Porsche design philosophy so the Cayenne is out. Also into consideration was the Audi Q7 but it lacks exclusivity(at least a dozen on bhubaneswar roads).

New 6-Series: Negative- Comes only with a soft top!

Jaguar: Likes the XK but i think it comes only with a soft top and he isn't considering the Coupe as of now.

RR Sport: The dealer has a 3L White car in stock. He test drove this car a couple of days back and was blown over by the drive and ride.

RR Vogue: The dealer has a 4.4L Bournville Colour in stock.

Now, my friend is unable to decide between the Sport and Vogue. According to the dealer apart from the size and engine, not much is different in the two models.
Also, he's heard from somewhere that the Range Rovers are set for a revamp by next year. Is it true??

I'd like you guys to help out in making a decision as he needs to decide by this week. Also, please point out if I've missed out on any cars that should be considered.
As of now the decision is between RR Sport and Vogue but open to other suggestions.

Regards,
Abhishek
Old 5th May 2011, 11:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Range Rover Vogue or Sport or __?

The RR Sport is the most advanced of the two in terms of product engineering.

Land Cruiser ? Indestructable and you have dealer back up!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 12:41   #3
BHPian

Appreciate the response ajmat. I absolutely agree with you on the Land Cruiser but I feel the Land Cruiser is a little bland for a 25 year old. No?

Also, could you please elaborate on the RR Sport. I cannot figure out the criteria on which to judge between the Sport and Vogue.

For him the 20 lakh rupee difference isn't the decision criteria although who wouldn't want to own the better car and still save 20 lakh!

P.S: He's 25 and the car would be his daily drive.
Old 5th May 2011, 13:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.m View Post
Hi,

Now, my friend is unable to decide between the Sport and Vogue. According to the dealer apart from the size and engine, not much is different in the two models.
Apologies in advance for adding to your dilemma but i am unaware of this. I didnot know there is a difference in exterior dimensions of the Vogue and the Sport. The RR Sport is bigger is it ???
Anyway to keep it short, since money isnt a criterion for your friend and since the Sport seems to be the benchmark as far as RR is concerned, why not just go for it ? 500 + bhp with all the technology is serious business !

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 5th May 2011 at 13:14.
Old 5th May 2011, 13:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

The Range Rover was designed in 2001 and part based on the older Range Rover platform. It was started by Rover and completed by BMW during the ownership changes. The RR sport and the Discovery 3 were a new design and engineered by ford. Better driver cars and more reliable
Old 5th May 2011, 13:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

How are the roads in Orissa? If they are good then I'm sure he would prefer a convertible. What is wrong with the soft top of the 6 series? Im sure the AC still cools just fine.

Anyway so basically between the RR Sport and Vogue, both are quite luxurious and stylish. The Vogue is bigger from the outside and has more space on the inside compared to the Sport. Both are quite similar technology wise. See if they are the new models with the Jag style rotary gear selector.

Also what trim are the cars? SE, HSE or autobiography?

Check with other dealers too, and try and get a RR Sport Supercharged. It is the perfect car for a young guy, looks sporty and will give many sports cars a run for their money.

But between these two I would say the 4.4 TDV8 RR Vogue since I think the 3l is waay to small even for the RR Sport.
Old 5th May 2011, 16:31   #7
BHPian

@PlatzdaTurbo: Like akshay wrote, the sport is slightly smaller than the vogue. If I had the dough, it would be the 5L Supercharged for me but my friend's thinking tends to be on the practical side. So he's unlikely to go for the 5L models.

@ajmat: I had no clue about the platforms. Thanks for the info.

@akshay1234: As far as roads are concerned, at least the ones on which he drives daily are in very good condition. So yes, he'd love to own a convertible. Here in Odisha, the temperatures easily reach close to 48 degrees in summers so I doubt a soft top convertible is such a good idea.
Afaik, the jag style rotary gear shifts come with Vogue only although i'm not sure if even that depends upon the trim. He checked with the Kolkata dealer again and got back saying both the in-stock Vogue and Sport are in HSE trim.
I have asked him to check with the Delhi or Mumbai dealer which he will do but he says it might not be so convenient to get from there.

The 2 big questions:

1) Do you people have any news on an impending RR model revamp by next year? (Most concerned about this)

2) Any other cars worth a dekko?

In any case, his decision was leaning towards the White RR Sport HSE.
Old 5th May 2011, 16:33   #8
BHPian

Audi RS5, Audi dealerships across the nation will have atleast 2 in stock. Its the fastest, quickest, and best handeling car under 1cr.
Old 5th May 2011, 17:25   #9
Team-BHP Support

How About Discovery 4 - if he can bear the looks from back - its very capable car , up here in North few politicians have bought this ,, and if you look at classifieds you will find one brand new one on discounts

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/sear...qs_button=Find
Old 5th May 2011, 18:00   #10
BHPian

I personally would suggest the RR Sport H2S for your friend. It an amazing ride..few of my friends own it here and they are really impressed with the car.
Old 5th May 2011, 18:36   #11
BHPian

The RR sport would be a nice option. It comes with a powerful engine and a whole lot of technology.
Your friend can also consider the BMW Z4 and the Mercedes SL/SLK.
And there's nothing wrong with having a soft-top convertible. The AC will still cool properly.
So. if your friend doesn't have any problem with a soft-top then the new 6-series would be the best option.
Old 5th May 2011, 19:05   #12
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The new BMW 650i convertible is the best bet. There wont be many around even few years down the line so the exclusivity factor will be very high. The soft top is not that bad, else the Merc SL350 with the hard top would be fine enough. No idea about the waiting period for these cars though.

If looking for SUV's, the RR Sport is a fantastic machine. Also your friend can check out the Merc GL350 CDi.
Old 5th May 2011, 20:35   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi.m View Post

@akshay1234: As far as roads are concerned, at least the ones on which he drives daily are in very good condition. So yes, he'd love to own a convertible. Here in Odisha, the temperatures easily reach close to 48 degrees in summers so I doubt a soft top convertible is such a good idea.
Afaik, the jag style rotary gear shifts come with Vogue only although i'm not sure if even that depends upon the trim. He checked with the Kolkata dealer again and got back saying both the in-stock Vogue and Sport are in HSE trim.
I have asked him to check with the Delhi or Mumbai dealer which he will do but he says it might not be so convenient to get from there.

In any case, his decision was leaning towards the White RR Sport HSE.
Those temperatures are high, please make sure he gets some good sunfilm installed, vkool preferably and not some crap from the dealer. My friends RR Sport Supercharged has terrible film.

Very honestly I'd say tell him to pick up the Vogue. Its less common, and the 4.4 TDV8 is a great engine. The 3l in the Sport will end up disappointing him later on, engine wise. The 4.4 has some 310bhp and 700nm of torque.

I don't think there are any major updates due next year, since in the past 2 years they've upgraded it quite a bit, in terms of looks, features, and engines.
Old 5th May 2011, 21:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Just for the sake of information, since someone mentioned the GL here, Mercedes has just launched the GL 500 with the same engine as in the s500 IIRC (around 370 odd ??? bhp) . Just mentioning it here as it would be exclusive among the 350 CDIs. They claim a 6.4sec dash to 100 but dont read too much into it as it would be with high octane fuel. Then again, why would anyone want to even look at the GL if he has the moolah to opt for the Vogue or the Sport ? With that kind of money (& if i absolutely HAD to choose an SUV/SAV) , i would have either gone for the Q7 4.2 TDI or Cayenne Turbo (read- driving pleasure) eyes closed.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 5th May 2011 at 21:19.
Old 5th May 2011, 21:19   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
With that kind of money , i would have either gone for the Q7 4.2 TDI or Cayenne Turbo eyes closed.
Q7 yes, but Cayenne Turbo? In a crore? No way. Those are above 1.5cr easy with hardly a few options ticked.

Most Viewed