Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 12:52   #1
BHPian

Pre-Owned Toyota Camry, New Shape - Help me buy one.

Hi all,

I have been saving up money to buy my dream car. The decision of what car to buy is made. I need to buy a Toyota Camry 2007 or later.

I saw one Toyota Camry 2008 Nov, Auto, done 33000 km. Sky Blue Color. The car was immaculate, except it had minor scratches on the 2 left doors. The 2 Doors need repainting. I got the vehicle checked by my trusted mechanics and they gave me the go ahead. We finalized the deal at 11.1 Lacs. Then when I saw the Registration, I saw that the Car had a loan outstanding. The buyer told me that he was an NRI and had got the car registered in his brothers name. He was initially telling me that once I pay him, he would pay off the bank and get the NOC for me. I did not agree to this, and told him that I can go with him to the bank and we could pay off the dues together, and the balance can be paid to him. He seemed in a great hurry, and wasnt even telling e the exact amount of loan outstanding. Since it was an unknown person, I felt there was something fishy, and decided not to buy this car.

Now I have seen a single Owner, Toyota Camry 2007 Dec Automatic, Silver, done 48,000 kms. The family is shifting out of the country and they are selling the car. The car has no loan. It is in showroom condition with new tyres.
I have offered them 10.5 lacs for the car.
The driver told me they have had an offer of about 12 lacs. Can people give me some advice, as to what would be the right price for this Delhi Registered Car.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 13th May 2011 at 13:03.
Old 13th May 2011, 14:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-Owned Toyota Camry, New Shape - Help me buy one.

10.5-11 is a fair value if the car is in good condition. I think you could go upto 11.5 if the car is really in top notch condition and you want it.

But do remember the Camry auto is not gong to give you great mileage (6/7 in the city) and the spares are quite high. I think you would have done your research anyway.

Best of luck.
Old 13th May 2011, 14:05   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

An outstanding sedan that will outlast you! Good choice. Note that the Camry is imported as a CBU and hence:

- Is over-priced when new (better for us used fans though )
- Parts are more expensive
- Limited choice in the pre-owned segment (as they don't sell all that much)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
He was initially telling me that once I pay him, he would pay off the bank and get the NOC for me.
Glad you walked away from the deal. The expected protocol is for the owner to pay off the bank and have the NOC in hand when he puts the car up for sale.

Quote:
Now I have seen a single Owner, Toyota Camry 2007 Dec Automatic, Silver, done 48,000 kms. The family is shifting out of the country and they are selling the car. The car has no loan. It is in showroom condition with new tyres.
12 lakhs is way too much for an '07, especially in Delhi where cars (new & thus, old) are cheaper than in other parts of the country. Your offer of 10.5 is strong enough...wait a while, he might bite. You should include the Camry's direct competitor - The Accord - in your search.
Old 13th May 2011, 14:07   #4
BHPian

Hi Akshay,

I have a Scorpio for all my highway and long drives.
This will just be for my evening drives, so mileage is not a concern.
I see that you recently bought an Accord V6 2007.
How much did this cost, and do you think Accord will be cheaper for spares and fuel economy ?

Thanks for your views.

Styler

Hi GTO,

With the bitter experience with the first hypothacated car that I was looking at, I am willing to pay a 50k premium on the market price to find a genuine car with a genuine seller.

The second one looks good in all aspects, I am just crossing my fingers, and may go upto 11.00 if I can get it.

Styler

Last edited by v12 : 13th May 2011 at 14:20.
Old 13th May 2011, 14:14   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi Akshay,

1)I have a Scorpio for all my highway and long drives.
This will just be for my evening drives, so mileage is not a concern.
2)I see that you recently bought an Accord V6 2007.
How much did this cost, and do you think Accord will be cheaper for spares and fuel economy ?

Thanks for your views.

Styler
1) I think you will be quite tempted to take the new purchase of yours on the highways unless the roads are terrible. Evening drive? Are you looking for a fun to drive car? Or a status symbol? Or just a comfortable big sedan?

2) I bought mine 1.5 years ago for about 11.5 totally. Then again the Accord was cheaper than the Camry new. In terms of driving experience the Accord V6 will be more fun to drive. Spares will be cheaper, but the fuel economy will be less in the V6 owing to the bigger engine.
Old 13th May 2011, 14:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

have a look at the tbhp classifieds for the previous gen accords.

edit:also try carwale/carazoo to look for individual sellers.

Last edited by mayankk : 13th May 2011 at 14:26. Reason: edited in response to styler's comment below
Old 13th May 2011, 14:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

I second GTO about your offer of 10.5! Wait for sometime, if he doesn't have many buyers, he might actually take up your offer!

I was in a similar situation in January when I was in market for buying a used Civic. The owner was leaving for States and wanted to sell his car; preferably to an individual, not to a dealer! He seemed quite firm at 7.3 Lacs initially but I was able to bring him down to 6.5 Lacs within a matter of days!

Accord V6 are great buy, if you want to use it as an evening/weekend car! And they fall in pretty much same bracket with Toyota Camry regarding spares and running costs. Do give them a shot!
Old 13th May 2011, 14:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
have a look at the tbhp classifieds for the previous gen accords.
I just looked, there are no Accords listed for Delhi. And no Camrys at all from anywhere in India.
Old 13th May 2011, 16:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

2007 / 08 @ 10 Lac + seems to be expensive - in Delhi you should be able to find much cheaper as these does not have very good resale value , few days back Avis was selling these - but old models - you should be prepared to shell good money on fuel , but these cares best suited for back seat , you won't get any JOY by driving these & these will depreciate quickly in future -

Mr. Rajesh Khanna (9958997428)
Avis India
Mercury Car Rentals Limited
The Oberoi Dr. Zakir Hussain Marg
New Delhi - 110003, India
Make Model Variant Color Date of Regd. Upholstry / Leather / Fabric Fuel Type Transmission
Toyota Camry W2 Black 14-Oct-05 Leather Petrol Automatic
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-Owned Toyota Camry, New Shape - Help me buy one.-avis.png  

Old 13th May 2011, 16:26   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
2007 / 08 @ 10 Lac + seems to be expensive - in Delhi you should be able to find much cheaper as these does not have very good resale value , few days back Avis was selling these - but old models - you should be prepared to shell good money on fuel , but these cares best suited for back seat , you won't get any JOY by driving these & these will depreciate quickly in future -
Those would have been used as cabs since they are from Avis. I would stay away from them since I think their usage would have been rough.
Old 14th May 2011, 11:41   #11
BHPian

Hi,

I am still waiting to meet the owner of the Silver Camry 2007 Dec tomorrow.

Taking the advice from everybody I started looking at Accords. I noticed that sometime in 2008 the latest generation of Accords came out. So in effect there are 2 models of Accords in 2008. Is that correct ? Akshay you would be the best person to throw some light on this.
I am attaching a picture of the console of the New Generation 2008 Accord, and this is radically different than the previous generation.

I have been offered an Accord Automatic 2.4, 2008, done 32000 kms for 13.5 lacs. I thought it was too high a price, so I do not have interest. If this is the new generation, what should the price of this one be ?

Styler.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-Owned Toyota Camry, New Shape - Help me buy one.-accordsept2008.jpg  

Last edited by Styler : 14th May 2011 at 11:52.
Old 14th May 2011, 12:55   #12
bhp
BHPian

Yes this is indeed the latest shape...12.5-12.75 should be the right price
Old 14th May 2011, 13:17   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey sorry for posting a query in your thread. What will be a realistic FE of this accord 2.4 AT? If say the car is driven inside the city with 100% AC on.
Also There are plenty of 2.4 AT 2008 Accords on sale for around 12-13L. Whats the actual OTR of the car originally?

Edit: The picture you posted is the from the latest generation car right? The one on sale right now.

Last edited by drmohitg : 14th May 2011 at 13:21.
Old 14th May 2011, 14:11   #14
bhp
BHPian

5-6 kmpl is a realistic figure in mumbai traffic..its around 22.5 lacs on road mumbai
Old 14th May 2011, 14:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey sorry for posting a query in your thread. What will be a realistic FE of this accord 2.4 AT? If say the car is driven inside the city with 100% AC on.
Also There are plenty of 2.4 AT 2008 Accords on sale for around 12-13L. Whats the actual OTR of the car originally?

Edit: The picture you posted is the from the latest generation car right? The one on sale right now.
This is everybody's thread...
I think the Accord or the Camry Automatic would give 6/7 in City and 9-11 on the highway.
Yes the picture is from the latest Accord. Hare are pictures of the Accords.
The first one is the previous generation, and the second one is the 2008 (Latest Generation)
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-Owned Toyota Camry, New Shape - Help me buy one.-accordold2008.jpg  

Pre-Owned Toyota Camry, New Shape - Help me buy one.-accordsept20082.jpg  

Last edited by Styler : 14th May 2011 at 14:27.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed