Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 20:59   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-Owned Toyota Camry, New Shape - Help me buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi,

I am still waiting to meet the owner of the Silver Camry 2007 Dec tomorrow.

Taking the advice from everybody I started looking at Accords. I noticed that sometime in 2008 the latest generation of Accords came out. So in effect there are 2 models of Accords in 2008. Is that correct ? Akshay you would be the best person to throw some light on this.
I am attaching a picture of the console of the New Generation 2008 Accord, and this is radically different than the previous generation.

I have been offered an Accord Automatic 2.4, 2008, done 32000 kms for 13.5 lacs. I thought it was too high a price, so I do not have interest. If this is the new generation, what should the price of this one be ?

Styler.
I think around March/April 08 is when the new gen Accord came out. So finding an 08 previous gen Accord is very rare.

Yes the previous gen (7th gen) is very different from the newer gen (8th gen). See my gallery for reference on the previous gen interiors.

Very honestly, if you are not looking at the V6 then forget the Accord. The Camrys build quality is better, and the car does feel more solid. Yes, the Accord may be a bit more fun to drive (2.4 vs 2.4) but its not worth it. If you are considering the V6 then forget the Camry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey sorry for posting a query in your thread. What will be a realistic FE of this accord 2.4 AT? If say the car is driven inside the city with 100% AC on.
Also There are plenty of 2.4 AT 2008 Accords on sale for around 12-13L. Whats the actual OTR of the car originally?

Edit: The picture you posted is the from the latest generation car right? The one on sale right now.
The 2.4 A/T would give about 6-7 if driven properly in Mumbai traffic. OTR depends since there are 3 trim levels I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
This is everybody's thread...
I think the Accord or the Camry Automatic would give 6/7 in City and 9-11 on the highway.
Yes the picture is from the latest Accord. Hare are pictures of the Accords.
The first one is the previous generation, and the second one is the 2008 (Latest Generation)
The first picture you have posted is the previous gen Accord. But its the facelifted version of the 7th gen Accord and its also called the 7.5 gen. The 7th gen is the one with the long horizontal tail lights.
Old 15th May 2011, 16:15   #17
BHPian

Just an update. I spoke to the owner of the 2007 Dec Silver Automatic Camry.

He told me they have got an offer of 11 Lacs already, and are leaving the country in 2 weeks time.

I had made an offer of 10.5 Lacs, and am not thinking of increasing it.
I am not in a rush, and will look for a better deal.

Styler
Old 17th May 2011, 10:42   #18
BHPian

Hi,
Okay the seller is willing to sell the 2007 Dec Silver Camry Automatic done 48000 kms for 11 Lacs.
I am going to meet him and close the deal in the evening.
The seller is a MBA from Harward business school. He is the MD of an international investment fund and their family is shifting out of India. They stay in Westend, and their kids go to American school. The seller is very reliable. There is no loan on the car, and I will be paying cash down. Since they leave in a weeks time, I have agreed to let them use the car till they are here, and will take it in a week.
In the meantime I will pay him 10 lacs through an Account Payee Cheque. He will sign the papers and I will try to get the Car transferred before they leave in 10 days. I will pay the balance 1 lac in cash when I take the car.
I need to know what all is required to be submitted to the authority for the transfer.
I just went through the website of the Transport authority in delhi and they list the following :

Q5 How the transfer of ownership of a vehicle can be done?

The transfer of ownership of a vehicle is to be applied in the concerned zonal office where vehicle is already registered and following are the documents to be submitted:-
  1. Registration certificate in original
  2. Form no.29 duly filled in duplicate (attested one copy)
  3. Form no.30 duly filled in duplicate
  4. Attested copy of valid insurance certificate
  5. Attested copy of address proof of purchaser
  6. Attested copy of valid Pollution Under Control Certificate
  7. Prescribed fee along with penalty if the transfer of ownership not applied within 14 days from the date of purchase.
  8. Attested copy of PAN Card or Form 60 & 61(as applicable)
Note: Application should be submitted with in 14 days otherwise penalty of Rs 100/- per month will be charged

Now the insurance would presently be in the owners name. So do I need to get the insurance transferred in my name first ? What will be required for that ?
If that is a lengthy process, can I get a third party insurance for the vehicle just to submit for the transfer ?

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 17th May 2011 at 10:50.
Old 17th May 2011, 10:52   #19
Team-BHP Support

Congrats. Instead of doing all this why not just find an RTO agent who will do all these documents for you?

Or another option is that you take a small 1-2l loan from a bank, and their agents will sort everything out. After that just payoff the loan.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 17th May 2011 at 10:55.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 12:04   #20
BHPian

Thanks a lot Akshay,
I will get the papers transferred through an agent eventually, but I don't intend to take an agent along to the seller.
I just needed to know what all documents I need to get signed from the seller.
I got the set of papers to be signed for the sale from a local car dealer, and he told me that agents generally would charge around Rs 3000 to get the transfer done.

Styler.
Old 17th May 2011, 21:32   #21
BHPian

My friends all scared me with the thought that if I pay 10 lacs, and something happens to the car between now and when I get the car, then what do we do.
I asked the seller if I can pay the total amount and take the car now or in a few days, and he currently did not agree. I have to take a call if I am ready to take the risk of taking delivery of the car after 10 days on 27th May. I will sleep over this, and take a decision in the morning. Buying an old car is really nerve racking.
Old 17th May 2011, 21:38   #22
Team-BHP Support

If the guy has kept it well all this time, what is a few days? I mean if you think he is a genuine person then don't worry about it. Just get it on paper from him that if any extra damage occurs in the 10 days then you minus that from the 1 lac you are going to pay on the delivery day.
Old 18th May 2011, 09:52   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd suggest paying when you get the car.
just my opinion.
even if the person selling it to you is genuine, the rest of the world aint.
10 days you'd be on tenterhooks.
Old 18th May 2011, 12:25   #24
BHPian

Yes, I would suggest to avoid taking that risk.

Either pay upfront and take the car with you.
OR Give an advance and pay the complete amount when you take the delivery of the car.

Because in that 10 days, anything can happen, If any damage happens , You can manage, But if it is stolen ( Chances are very fraction, But still the risk is there ),

In that time , By paper, car is yours.
Old 18th May 2011, 13:34   #25
BHPian

you ideally need to pay him by demand draft /or pay order at the time of taking delivery itself, so hes secure that payment is being made in total along with the 1 lac cash. IMO that is. Congratulations on a great buy, drive safe.
Old 19th May 2011, 14:47   #26
BHPian

The deal didnt go through. The guy was pretty arrogant, and I didnt have in writing that he would be responsible if there were any damages in the next 10 days.
I think 11 lacs will get me a good camry sooner or later.
I am not in a rush, and I will start looking again, after I get over this one.

Thanks for all the advice everybody.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 15:02   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

you're lucky, styler.
remember, with him as a seller you have agreed to the ONLY condition that he can have, ie, the price.
If he cannot even guarantee the most basic premise of "as is", then there is no telling what else may be covered up in the time that you paid, and what was replaced/broken up till delivery.
good call.
Old 19th May 2011, 16:12   #28
BHPian

So near yet so far. What an issue to haggle over. In the used market the usual terms are to give a 'token' amount (say 5-10% of the value of the car) to freeze the deal (if the deal is not to be executed immediately) and then pay full amount on delivery of the vehicle. On the deal day a DD for the balance amount could have easily changed hands and that should have been it. The seller should have been smart enough to appreciate your genuine apprehensions. You should put forth this kind of a proposal the next time you come across a deal.

Patience is a virtue in the used car market. That said if you are looking for only a used Camry (2007 or later) then you are perhaps going to need every bit of patience you have. Best of luck with your search. Hope you find one sooner rather than later.
Old 20th May 2011, 18:11   #29
BHPian

Okay people we finally have a deal after the roller coaster ride. The seller called me that I pay 10 lacs and take all the papers and original RC. After the money clears in his bank by Sat evening, I pay the balance 1 lac and get the car on Sunday morning. I paid him through a DD of 10 lacs and got all the papers on Thu evening. The papers have already been submitted for transfer to the transport authority. I will get the car on Sun morning.
Pics will follow in a few days.
Styler
Old 20th May 2011, 20:11   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

still slightly shady, but atleast its been cut down to a few hours from 10 days.
enjoy, man!!
i see a good weekend ahead for you!!

Most Viewed