Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 21:22   #1
BHPian

Importing a vehicle for temporary use (Carnet)

Hey,

Did a quick search but couldnt find any threads on this, so here goes..

Has anyone had any experience/info on bringing in a motorcycle from overseas for the purpose of riding around India for a few months, and then taking it back when leaving the country.

Thanks,
Hans
Old 28th May 2011, 00:21   #2
BHPian

re: Importing a vehicle for temporary use (Carnet)

Yes, I imported my BMW R1200GS on a temporary carnet to india during the end of 2010 and did a fabulous trip. The carnet procedure is not too complicated provided your designated clearing agent in India knows his job. If you plan to ship it by sea, my clearing agent in Cochin seaport is really good at it. If you are shipping by air, I can search out a german rider who shipped his 1200GS Adv to Delhi and cleared it from there.

The general details for Carnet import to India are mentioned in my below link on another forum (my ride report is also at the bottom of this link in my signature).

Renewing a Carnet - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community
Haroon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 10:27   #3
BHPian

Thanks Haroon. This is exactly what I wanted

I'm stilling thinking over whether to do this or not - a ride around parts of India sounds alluring to me. The bike Im bringing over is a Street Triple R..just worried about possibility of running out of spares etc

Hans
Old 28th May 2011, 17:45   #4
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2011 at 13:36.
Old 28th May 2011, 21:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdus001 View Post
Thanks Haroon. This is exactly what I wanted

I'm stilling thinking over whether to do this or not - a ride around parts of India sounds alluring to me. The bike Im bringing over is a Street Triple R..just worried about possibility of running out of spares etc

Hans
Hans, quite a few mechanics in the major metros like, Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, bangalore etc are familiar with the inline 4s from japan. I am sure they can work on Triumphs also, however, spare parts etc will just not be available for your Triumph.

Sure touring on your own bike is much more fun, but if you want to rent a bike (No, Royal Enfield is not the only option!), an outfit in bangalore also does tour packages with their Suzuki DR650, here is their link (indiMotard adventures - motorcycle experiences, india and beyond!).

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2011 at 13:37. Reason: Second quoted post has been deleted
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2011, 11:10   #6
Team-BHP Support

Two similar threads :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...3-lhd-bmw.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ring-back.html

cya
R
Old 30th July 2019, 13:07   #7
BHPian

Re: Supercars & Imports : Bangalore

Hey Guys,

I’m contemplating on bringing a car to Bangalore temporarily on Carnet from Dubai.

It would be helpful If anybody here with prior experience in this process could enlist the detailed procedure or direct me to a person and/or Carnet agent who could assist. Any useful information/guides are appreciated.

Secondly, Where can I find good & consistent quality petrol. I’ve heard BP had begun offering 99 octane petrol in major cities across India. Is this still available in Blore or has it been discontinued? What are the reviews like?

Thirdly, For cars with low ground clearance, what are some recommended roads/area’s where one can drive without worrying about potholes, steep speedbumps etc. and what are the major roads/areas to avoid. The Airport road seemed well paved and in fact I experienced a couple of 911’s zooming past me there. For road trip’s, I’ve heard good reviews about the BLR-HYD highway as well.

Looking forward to receiving any valuable info/tips on this.

Thanks,

MJK
Old 1st August 2019, 12:42   #8
BHPian

Hi MJK, that's great to hear! Very interested in knowing what car you will be getting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk24 View Post
Secondly, Where can I find good & consistent quality petrol. I’ve heard BP had begun offering 99 octane petrol in major cities across India. Is this still available in Blore or has it been discontinued? What are the reviews like?
There are about two pumps which stock 99 Octane in Bangalore, one on Old Airport Road and the other one rumoured to be on Kasturba Road, next to the Cubbon Park Police Station. I specifically use Shell V-Power for my chunky cat. Have filled 99 Octane a handful of times and the quality has been mad but the efficiency dropped radically. A few of my friends fill their cars with 99 Octane only and the have been really happy with the performance.

Quote:
Thirdly, For cars with low ground clearance, what are some recommended roads/area’s where one can drive without worrying about potholes, steep speedbumps etc. and what are the major roads/areas to avoid. The Airport road seemed well paved and in fact I experienced a couple of 911’s zooming past me there. For road trip’s, I’ve heard good reviews about the BLR-HYD highway as well.
Would suggest driving outside the city as the best driving route. I stay outside the city and the NH 7/44 is 500m from my house. My car can more than breathe on this road. The city roads are a big hit/miss. Some of the areas are prone to waterlogging and adding to that the rains act as a catalyst to the worsening of already pathetic infrastructure. Would strongly suggest BLR-Mangalore Highway (good stretches upto Hassan), BLR-Chennai Highway (brilliant roads, but watch out for pesky pedestrians on the highway), BLR-Salem Highway (a couple of my friends went to Yercaud with their sportscars; lovely stretches with bends on the road to the hill-top) and BLR-Hyderabad (good roads with the risk of pedestrians).

I believe cops will start a crackdown on Supercar; I have attached an image below for the reference of other users on this group.
Attached Thumbnails
Importing a vehicle for temporary use (Carnet)-img_7040.jpg  

ka51resident is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 18:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka51resident View Post
Hi MJK, that's great to hear! Very interested in knowing what car you will be getting here
Hey ka51resident, its a slightly modified 370Z
Are you on Quora by any chance? White F-Type?

Quote:
There are about two pumps which stock 99 Octane in Bangalore, one on Old Airport Road and the other one rumoured to be on Kasturba Road, next to the Cubbon Park Police Station. I specifically use Shell V-Power for my chunky cat.
Is Shell-V-Power is easily available across Karnataka and the neighboring states?

Quote:
Would suggest driving outside the city as the best driving route. I stay outside the city and the NH 7/44 is 500m from my house. My car can more than breathe on this road. The city roads are a big hit/miss. Some of the areas are prone to waterlogging and adding to that the rains act as a catalyst to the worsening of already pathetic infrastructure. Would strongly suggest BLR-Mangalore Highway (good stretches upto Hassan), BLR-Chennai Highway (brilliant roads, but watch out for pesky pedestrians on the highway), BLR-Salem Highway (a couple of my friends went to Yercaud with their sportscars; lovely stretches with bends on the road to the hill-top) and BLR-Hyderabad (good roads with the risk of pedestrians).
That's great, the last time I did BLR-Mangalore was I think back in 2008. I recall the roads being awful, the Ghat section in particular.
How are the BLR - Mangalore roads after Hassan?
Would you do the entire BLR-Mangalore route or any of the above recommended drives in the F-Type?
Any idea how Kochi - BLR is? Might have to do that as Kochi is the most apt Carnet port for me.
Sorry I've got too many questions lol.

Quote:
I believe cops will start a crackdown on Supercar; I have attached an image below for the reference of other users on this group.
That's worrying, I hope the cops are reasonable and penalize only the offenders and not just anybody with a loud exhaust.
Old 5th August 2019, 11:23   #10
BHPian

Re: Importing a vehicle for temporary use (Carnet)

Yes, that is me.

Quote:
Is Shell-V-Power is easily available across Karnataka and the neighboring states?
Easily available in Bangalore. Not too sure if available across Karnataka. Some pumps on the Highways I have been on have Speed and Power (don't know about the Octane rating)

Quote:
That's great, the last time I did BLR-Mangalore was I think back in 2008. I recall the roads being awful, the Ghat section in particular.
How are the BLR - Mangalore roads after Hassan?
Would you do the entire BLR-Mangalore route or any of the above recommended drives in the F-Type?
Any idea how Kochi - BLR is? Might have to do that as Kochi is the most apt Carnet port for me.
Sorry I've got too many questions lol.
Haha, no worries. The BLR-MLR Highway has had its ups and downs (pun not intended). I had taken the road in 2017 when it was newly built. Some stretches are good but not recommended at the moment. You are better off driving till Hassan and heading back.

Don't know about the Kochi-BLR route though.
ka51resident is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 00:59   #11
BHPian

Re: Importing a vehicle for temporary use (Carnet)

Hi, this might be an unpopular question. But I am wondering what might be the procedure to export the car out of India to a country in the Schengen Area.

Plus, I also read in multiple sources that you have to deposit 10 times the value of the vehicle, when purchased with the customs in country of residence.

Can anyone please elaborate on the same?
Old 16th March 2021, 17:23   #12
BHPian

CARNET? What exactly is it?

Hi fellow members,

I have recently come across quiet a few imported cars with foreign registration plates being driven around India.

What I know is this CARNET system allows one to temporarily import a good and it must go back within the licensed period, and thus does not have any import restrictions or duties.

Is this the way the CARNET system works? Who is eligible to do this and what is the purpose behind temporarily importing a car?
Old 16th March 2021, 19:08   #13
BHPian

Re: CARNET? What exactly is it?

Carnet is temporary importing car.
I guess anyone is eligible as long as they produce the correct paperwork and pay for it.

People and companies use it to showcase their cars. People doing overland expedition use their cars on carnet.

I thinks it maximum of 11 months you can use a car on carnet.
zibby is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 00:37   #14
BHPian

Re: CARNET? What exactly is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibby View Post

I thinks it maximum of 11 months you can use a car on carnet.
AFAIK, the term is for 6 months and can get extended for 3 months more after that.
Old 28th July 2021, 19:56   #15

A question about importing cars into India

Hi all,

My family is looking to buy a 7 to upgrade from our X3. I did some research about carnet and used car prices in the UK and found out the following information.

We can bring in cars from the UK with carnet for a maximum period of 12 months after which the car needs to be returned.

Now my question is as follows. We like to switch our cars often (every 2 years or so) and mostly buy used cars. Does carnet make sense? Is it possible to lease cars for only 12 months? How does the carnet return procedure work? Can I get the same car back on a new carnet?

The cost for the carnet, from what I can gather is about 500 Euros and shipping one way is about a 1000 Euros. Used car prices in the UK are dirt cheap compared to India (2018 7 for about 40 big ones!). Does this make sense or is it just a pipe dream?

I appreciate everyone's input.

Most Viewed