Chevrolet Corvette 6 18.75%
BMW M3 E46 12 37.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:38   #1
BHPian

Sports car in the USA for $30K

Hi guys,

Ok I need everyone's help in deciding which car to get. I am helping my cousin get a new/used car and since I`m in the US too, i should get to drive it (yay).
So here goes, here are the criteria and a few short listed cars,
1) he stays in maryland, so winter's do get cold but he has another all wheel drive car to use in those conditions
2)he is looking for a two seater sports car, used and is willing to spend around $30K
3)fuel economy is not an issue since this is going to be his "fun" car
4) It should stand out in a a crowd
5) He's not looking to get a four door car
6) The new ford mustang was considered since it is actually a very good car to drive but its very common and is driven mostly by ladies (just my observation)

The shortlisted vehicles
1) Nissan 370Z (2009 or so)
2) Porsche Boxster S (2007 or 2008)
3) Porsche Cayman S (2006 onwards)
4) Chevrolet Corvette (2006 onwards)
5) BMW M3 E46 (2006 onwards)

Everyone's opinion is welcome and any suggestions are also welcome
Old 22nd June 2011, 21:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Sports car in the USA for $30K

From the shortlisted vehicles...a Porsche Boxster S would be perfect choice. But your maintenance would be high. If you want to avoid that, go for the 370Z. An equally fun car to drive. Avoid the 3 Big Germans since you'll have a hard time facing reliability issues.

Another option, which I would personally go for, is the 2012 Mustang GT. A terrific sports car with credentials to even beat the M3 around the track and just for under $30k. In fact if you've seen Motor Trend's review, the Mustang GT does a lap within 0.1 sec of the M3! And don't fret that Mustangs are driven by ladies. Not at all! It's a Man's car check this out:

Last edited by theragingbull : 22nd June 2011 at 21:20.
Old 22nd June 2011, 21:27   #3
BHPian

re: Sports car in the USA for $30K

I vote for the Porsche Boxster S too. The car is quick, a great handler and turns heads as well. My boss (in US) picked a used one for $36k (guess it was a 2008 model) with under 30k miles on the odo. I had a chance to ride in it and absolutely loved it. I must admit that I have had zero experience with the other cars in your choice set (except seeing them in flesh).
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:09   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sports car in the USA for $30K

Porsche Cayman S would be my pick! Immaculate balance, power that's just enough (difference between fun & insane), and best part is, you can find a manual. Shouldn't be too difficult in 30K, though your cousin would do much better if he upped the budget to 35,000. The Cayman has a decent reliability record and since its going to be a fun car, well, the running isn't going to be too high anyways. Rumour mills insist that Porsche intentionally didn't give the car a limited slip differential as it would then be too close to the 911.

In terms of badge, looks, handling and fun, no car on the list can match the Cayman.
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

Why is Camaro SS missing from the list? It has awesome presence and a power to match, though it is not an out and out sports car like the Cayman.
Attached Thumbnails
Sports car in the USA for K-camaro.jpg  

Last edited by BlackPearl : 22nd June 2011 at 22:53.
Old 22nd June 2011, 23:15   #6
BHPian

^ Guess Camaros and Mustangs are 'common'. Common not as in Camary or Accord or Altima common but nevertheless not as uncommon as Porsche or Corvette. The last time I was in the States (couple of months ago) I say just too many Camaros and Mustangs on the roads. They are different but IMO do not really stand out. I know the SS is not your regular Camaro but even then ..
Old 22nd June 2011, 23:56   #7
BHPian

Hey thanks guys for your replies and your suggestions.

@ theragingbull
I completely agree with you, the mustang especially the 2012 mustang GT with (412hp) is a brilliant car to drive. I really like it except for the 2 things that I mentioned above. (Every mustang that I look at is being driven by a woman, i`m not sure if its just coincidence that I see all ladies driving mustangs but also they are very common compared to the other cars on the list) theres no wow factor

And speaking of beating an M3 , ford just launched a new mustang called the Boss 302 which was designed specifically to beat the M3 round a track and i`ve heard they did a really good job with the car but you can only buy one new and it costs $45-$47k

@ Cesc

The boxster S is also a good car, does it have the same engine as the cayman S ?? I think it does. I`m not really sure what the differences between the boxster S and cayman S are (except the fact that one is a convertible and the other is a coupe).

@GTO
I really think the cayman s is a great car the only thing i`m worried about being able to find a good one (no accidents and that kind of stuff) for ($30k - $33k). That is the only thing holding me back from picking the cayman S.

quick question for you and everyone here,
Hypothetically, If I couldnt find a cayman S for between ($30 and $33k), then which car would be your next best option, which other car would you suggest (which one would you go for) ??

@ Blackpearl
I`ve always liked how the camaro's looks and I`ve even driven a camaro SS.
But driving wise they are not that great, they have a good engine but when you show the camaro a few curvy raods, its not as good as the other cars on the list.
If I had to pick a muscle car I would definitely pick the mustang GT over the camaro SS, only because the mustang handles much better and its got a very good engine too.

@ Cesc
You are right again sir, I share your sentiments
Old 20th August 2011, 22:01   #8
BHPian

i was in the same market last October and i went for the 07 bmw335i(with 1 yr manuf. warranty remaining)... its less on power but the twin turbos and the high torque match the performace of M3 E46.
And may be you already know this but corvette is driven by old guys and both the porsche s you are considered as chick cars... so i would suggest a 370z or 335i (they have the EXACT same performance figures) .. The only difference is 370z is not that practical. But if you have another car to move around in, i say go for it. ( i suggest u get the feel of 335i before you make your decision)
You can get a 2008 335i with nav premium and sports package for around 27-28k.
And Trust me.. you dont wanna go with the ford.. its not in the same league except in the spec sheet..

Last edited by Mike89 : 20th August 2011 at 22:07.
Old 21st August 2011, 18:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

A 335i can be a good bet. A Vishnu package on it seems favored. But if you are expecting the feeling of being not so common - forgot it. I would not trun heads unless you have some very exotic rims on it.

Not sure why the Corvette is not suggested by all. It is not a very troublesome car. It still has good presence and the charm and yes it does turn some heads for sure. Very much drivable. We already have 2 reviews for the same:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ip-report.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-pictures.html
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Rumour mills insist that Porsche intentionally didn't give the car a limited slip differential as it would then be too close to the 911.
Guess the LSD came as an option at a later stage though the reviews are controversial.
One such review : The Cayman factory LSD dissected... -

Edit : It was an option when Dante had bought his Cayman too. Link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ml#post1731989

Last edited by dipen : 2nd September 2011 at 16:25.
Old 11th October 2011, 12:39   #11
BHPian

M3 hands down! The raspy growl of the E46 M3 when it's throttle is let loose is enough to bring shivers down any auto enthusiast's spine.

Most Viewed