Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 13:33   #1
BHPian

Audi A4 2.0 TDI or 2.0 TFSI

HI GUYS!!!

I am confused which car to buy Audi 2.0 TDI or the Audi 2.0 TFSI, driven both cars and more inclined towards the diesel but alot of people have told me only buy diesel if you running is more. The price of both the cars are same.

The problem is here is there no 2.0 petrol and i have to wait 1.5 months for it and on the other hand 2.0 TDI is same day delivery.

Our car will only do 600-800 KM a month and will keep it for minimum 5 years.

Thanks.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Audi A4 2.0 TDI or 2.0 TFSI

My friends in the UK tell me the petrol is a much nicer car to drive. Considering your mileage, worth looking at. Remember long term diesel has issues with injectrs, pumps etc
Old 5th July 2011, 13:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSC View Post
HI GUYS!!!
The above mentioned fact drives home the point.Get the petrol version!!!

You are only inclined towards the TDI since you get immediate delivery, its human tendency
Old 5th July 2011, 13:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

When i drove the A4 2.0 TDI, i was not very impressed. The same 140hp engine which feels peppy in Laura does not feel as exciting in the Audi, with FWD it isn't as fun to drive as the C and 3. It deserves the engine in 170hp tune.

I have not driven the 2.0TFSI version.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Having driven the TFSi and the TDi recently, I would vote for the TFSi if you are looking for a driver's car. It felt much more powerful than the 2.0TDi. However, for cruising and chauffeur driven crowd, the TDi feels more at home.
Typically, petrols are recommended for low running due to price issues, however, in this case the Diesel will work out cheaper as they are similarly priced.
However, I would recommend checking out the Passat TDi as well. With 170bhp on tap, it feels much more powerful to drive than either of these two cars.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:25   #6
BHPian

I am just so surprised that they are pushing me to get the diesel engine.

Anshuman i agree with you the TDi is not that much fun to drive. I drove all the cars 1.8 2.0 tdi and petrol. I was really impressed with the petrol.

I am driving the 1.8 skoda superb which i bought in jan so 1.8 audi is out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
My friends in the UK tell me the petrol is a much nicer car to drive. Considering your mileage, worth looking at. Remember long term diesel has issues with injectrs, pumps etc

Thats what i am worried about

There is silver with [COLOR=#000000]beige interier [/COLOR]which is standing at Audi Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
When i drove the A4 2.0 TDI, i was not very impressed. The same 140hp engine which feels peppy in Laura does not feel as exciting in the Audi, with FWD it isn't as fun to drive as the C and 3. It deserves the engine in 170hp tune.

I have not driven the 2.0TFSI version.

I agree with you on that and the drive of the 2.0 petrol is way better.

Last edited by GTO : 5th July 2011 at 15:47. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 5th July 2011, 15:46   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excuse me, but why even bother with the Audi A4? The Passat - an identical car save for the Audi badge - is 6 lakhs cheaper, is bigger, has more power, a superior DSG gearbox and more equipment!

Don't fall for the badge re-engineering trick. Get the Passat; you get more of the same car at a lesser price.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 15:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Excuse me, but why even bother with the Audi A4? The Passat - an identical car save for the Audi badge - is 6 lakhs cheaper, is bigger, has more power, a superior DSG gearbox and more equipment!

Don't fall for the badge re-engineering trick. Get the Passat; you get more of the same car at a lesser price.

We went and saw the passat its a good car but dad did not like it. He likes the A4.
Old 7th July 2011, 00:41   #9
BHPian

If you search the forum, you will find this question having been asked by me a year and a half ago. The answer was the 2.0 TFSi. It's the best after the A4 3.0 Tdi.

The reason they are pushing for the Diesel is because very few people buy the 2.0 Petrol. They never have it in stock and a new car takes upto 30-45 days. I booked with Audi Delhi in Dec 09 but they perpetually kept pushing back the delivery and I ended up canceling the booking Feb end. Went to Audi Gurgaon and they got me the car by March end.

Once you get the car: S Mode + NH8. Thats when you realize it is well worth the wait. It really is.
Old 7th July 2011, 00:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

The 2.0TFSI engine is a reward winning engine! It's one of the best 2L petrol engines around. If FE is not your concern, then go for it. Check out autobahner's review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...er-beauty.html
Old 7th July 2011, 08:25   #11
Team-BHP Support

If FE is not a concern then the 2.0 TFSI any day over the diesel audi. The 2.0 diesel audi is possible the slowest diesel amongst the big 3 and the laura state of tune engine in that car is simply unfair to Audi clientele.

I would suggest also check out the C. At the price point available, the petrol C seems to be REALLY good value and a fairly rewarding drive as well. Of course the 2.0 petrol Audi may still be better but I'm not in a position to comment since I haven't driven the Audi.

@GTO: while I agree on paper the Passat offers more power, when I TD it, I have to say the handling left me completely underwhelmed. I may have 70 BHP under the hood but somehow didn't feel exciting while driving. For that reason alone I believe the big 3 Germans may be worth considering despite the price difference.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 10:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSC View Post
HI GUYS!!!

I am confused which car to buy Audi 2.0 TDI or the Audi 2.0 TFSI, driven both cars and more inclined towards the diesel but alot of people have told me only buy diesel if you running is more. The price of both the cars are same.

The problem is here is there no 2.0 petrol and i have to wait 1.5 months for it and on the other hand 2.0 TDI is same day delivery.

Thanks.
People usually say "only buy a diesel if you running is more" because for most diesels the price is more by about 1L and to recoup that amount in fuel costs you need to drive a minimum amount.

If the price of both variants is same however - this advice doesn't apply. If you are already inclined towards diesel, just go ahead and buy it.
Old 7th July 2011, 10:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well practically speaking the diesel is the way to go, especially since both options cost the same! Lower running costs, and a good range when you go for those out of city drives. Also with regards to the big 3 Germans, the diesels will offer you a much better resale value 5 years down the line when you want to upgrade. Spare parts should be lesser of an issue with the diesel considering most of the ones sold are diesel.

But if it was down to me I'd buy the petrol one anyways!
Old 7th July 2011, 10:36   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
People usually say "only buy a diesel if you running is more" because for most diesels the price is more by about 1L and to recoup that amount in fuel costs you need to drive a minimum amount.

If the price of both variants is same however - this advice doesn't apply. If you are already inclined towards diesel, just go ahead and buy it.
Not all cars require such complex calculations, a premium car like this one is more often bought for feel good factor and other such preferences. The 2.0 TFSI costs about the same as the 2.0 TDI but the TFSI engine is more satisfying to drive.

Ask someone who bought a A4 3.0 TDI, he could have saved as much money to buy a premium hatchback if he chose 2.0 TDI over 3.0 TDI.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 10:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Not all cars require such complex calculations, a premium car like this one is more often bought for feel good factor and other such preferences. The 2.0 TFSI costs about the same as the 2.0 TDI but the TFSI engine is more satisfying to drive.

Ask someone who bought a A4 3.0 TDI, he could have saved as much money to buy a premium hatchback if he chose 2.0 TDI over 3.0 TDI.

I agree fully with what you say - however he wrote that he is inclined towards diesel already.

I presume, based on that, that he has already considered all the other issues (fun to drive etc.) - if the only reason he is apprehensive about diesel is that somebody told him diesel should be bought only by higher mileage users, then he shouldn't worry

Most Viewed