Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2011, 03:17   #1
yuv
BHPian

Looking for Mercedes & is E240 AT for 4.5L worth it?

Hi All,

A friend of mine from Mumbai is looking for a low budget used mercedes benz. Although his budget is around 2.5 lacs, he doesnt mind paying a lac or so more for the right car. Going by the increase in petrol prices, no wonder his preference is for a diesel variant.

I have never owned an MB therefore can I get some inputs on how much a good used diesel mercedes benz will cost and which model/year can he get for 2.5-4 lacs? What are the servicing costs? Can it be easily serviced by any mechanic or has to be sent to those expensive authorised service centres?

He has found one 1999 model E240 AT(petrol) in Delhi, 1st owner, 3rd party insurance and the owner is asking for 4.5 lacs. Is it a good deal? The vehicle is supposed to be in good condition and has done approximately 60000 kms. If not, then what is the fair price for the car?

It being a petrol variant and that too an AT, he is worried about fuel consumption. How much mileage can he expect on Mumbai roads? And again, will he be able to get the repairs and servicing done at the friendly neighbourhood mechanic? Then there is the hasstle of transfer to Mumbai from Delhi. He has some friends in Delhi and intends get it transferred in Delhi itself(thus retaining the Delhi registration) in his name but with a friends Delhi address, in case he does end up buying it.

Thanks alot. Appreciate any leads on other similar cars available for sale in Mumbai.
Old 15th July 2011, 09:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Looking for Mercedes & is E240 AT for 4.5L worth it?

If you want to run a Merc, asking about mileage is the least of your problems.

The E240 if I am correct is the improved version of the w210 (it should have indicator lighs in the mirror, and a slimmer front grill) so a lot of the bugs were eliminated, Main issue with the w210 is that it rusts due to the attempt at stretched steel construction. Check front wings, doors, boot lid and front suspension mounts.

You will also need to check radiator - the transmission intercooler is built into the radiator. Many cases of the solder failing and transmission fluid being contaminated. Check if gears shift properly. If you want peace of mind, ensure radiator is replaced and do not use the Valeo brand. Also check the oil seals in engine since if they contaminate electricals leads to more problems.

If you feel the car is good, it is worth spending 10k on a Merc dealer evaluation before going for a go/no go decision.

Being non diesel, there are less issues.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 12:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, No offense, but I dont think your friend is ready to get a Merc. The words 'Budget' 'Mileage' 'Cheap Maintanence' Are all thrown outta the window when you get a modern merc or Beemer.

Please keep in mind that the W210 is the worst merc produced by the company. It is bound to give issues, and parts are very very expensive. Petrols are lighter on maintanence than the diesel ones, but parts for an E240 will be quite hard to come by. Also, factor in the condition of the Autobox.

I would suggest that he goes in for a W124 E250D manual.Y ou can get a decent example cheap, and they are really built to last. Parts are available still, but will be expensive.

Remember, the Cheapest merc is the most expensive one!
JayD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 12:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

What you're friend is looking for is max status in minimum budget. There are many that fall prey to this syndrome.

Maintaining this car will not be cheap, most parts will have be hard to source and exorbitantly priced.

My suggestion would be for your friend to look for a used Honda city, corolla or Accord
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 15:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have to ask, can I afford a Mercedes, you probably can't!

No offence, but 4 lacs will fetch your friend sweet deals in the used market. Maybe a Corolla. I saw a 5-year old Corolla AT for 5 lacs in mid-2009 when I was shopping for an urban hatch. And that was at First Choice, who charge a ~20% premium, so the open market will have more ad beter options.

A used Skoda RS or Fiesta may be a much better driver's car for your friend to consider. GTO repeatedly says that you need to budget at least a lakh a year for any Merc over 5 years old. That doesn't sound like fun!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 16:38   #6
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad Idea.

Merc does not seem to be the right car for your friend.

If at all would suggest the W124 E-220/250 (petrol/diesel) rather than the W210. A W124 is more reliable and easier to maintain than a W210. I personally also think that it looks better.

A merc will ask for maintenance, especially if one does not want to looks like a person who rides a merc but does not deserve to. Many times we see merc on the road in conditions that make us wonder what the owner was thinking about before he picked up one.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 18:31   #7
BHPian

The price quoted is a bit on the higher side considering its a petrol model. Regarding purchasing a merc if your friend is financially sound and wants to purchase a merc for collection then then he can go ahead with one. Preferably a w124 as they are very robust. But if he wants to have a used merc for daily use and use it as the only vehicle then he should be willing to pay premium price for its maintenance and parts. Finding a cheap merc is easy but maintaining it will be really expensive.

For daily use, your friend can consider honda city, baleno, lancer, esteem or other similar sedans
ravi_23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 18:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

with an E240 A/T will will neither get performance nor FE.

Having said that, 4.5 is a pretty decent price for it so go for it with your eyes open (not closed)
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 18:51   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Since his original budget was 2.5L, and he wants a good Mercedes, ask him to check out a W124 E220 or something similar. The W210 is much larger and much more loaded, but at the end of the day, this generation of the E class (and other Mercs as well) was amongst the most unreliable ever sold.
Before he gets a Mercedes, do keep him informed that each service done outside will be in the region of 15-30K + annual maintainance if carried out from a good private garage would be close to 1L/year if not more. Instead, for status and the like, I have seen some Accords going for around as much. You will have much more peace of mind, and better reliability, FE, etc. than the Merc.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 22:58   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I know some people who have a strong dream to own the prestigious three pointed star, at some point in their lives. Nothing wrong in following the heart. Butttt, please be informed that even though you get the car at ~4L, the original price of the car was ~10 times more, and hence foresee the price of the replacement parts.

However, IMO, if your friend wants the merc real bad, then a petrol W124 would be a sensible option. It is said to be built like a tank and will appeal to his heart as well as head. It is also said to have less complex electricals, hence the reliability.

- Moreover, in my personal opinion, a lowered (and stiffened) W124 with 18" wheels will look much.. much better than a w210. Get a W124 for ~2.5 lacs, and spend the rest to mod it to your taste.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 01:35   #11
yuv
BHPian

Thanks all. We are now on a lookout for a W124 diesel, preferably an AT.

Although it is highly unlikely that my friend will still buy the E240 in question, the owner has reduced the price to 4L now making the deal even more attractive. But a petrol AT means it cannot be used everyday due to low FE. Yes, FE is still a huge consideration.(Reminds me of the
Maruti Suzuki Advt - "Kitna deti hai?"). BTW How much FE can be expected from a W124? Thanks

@ajmat - Thanks, wise words those. Thats a good idea, will try to get an evaluation done at merc dealer. As of now I have asked a friend to test drive the car, which should happen soon hopefully as he is travelling and out of Delhi at the moment. Have asked him to check the radiator and oil seals and no there are no indicator lights on the mirrors of this car.

@JayD - Thanks alot, noted your valuable advise. We are now looking for a W124 diesel but not found any in Mumbai as yet.

@Sahil - Many thanks, noted your valuable comments. He surely is looking for maximum status at minimum price and he wants to go for a merc only. Will there be a parts problem even with the W124?

@noopster - Thanks alot for your response. He already owns a carolla, which is for daily use so the merc may not be his daily ride. While I agree with you and GTO, he is planning to get the car serviced at a local trusted garage and not send it to the authorised service centre thereby saving(hopefully) on the cost of maintenance.

@ACM - Thanks, noted your valuable advise. Although he fancy's the round headlights on the E240, we are now looking for a W124. Do any of the W124's come with those?

@ravi_23 - Noted your concerns on the maintenance part, Thanks. He has bargained with the owner and as mentioned above it looks like the deal will finally close at 4L. Do you still feel it is expensive? This is offcourse if he still goes in for the E240. We are actively looking for a fairly priced W124 in Mumbai, how ever not found any as yet.

@Mpower - Thanks alot and I agree with you. I think he found the price very appealing, I mean owning a good condition merc and that too an AT(not to forget the round headlights). We thought it was value for money, how ever we are definitely better informed now, thanks to all of you great folks.

@lamborghini - Thanks and noted your valuable suggestions. There seems to be a broad consensus on the W124 and we liked your suggestion on sticking with the original budget of 2.5L.

@dhanushs - Thanks alot. This is exactly what he is looking for, to own the prestigious three pointed star and it being his childhood dream, he has waited a long time. We are on a lookout for the W124 but like I said, none found so far around 2.5L.
Old 17th July 2011, 02:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

@yuv:
Check out these two ads that caught my eye when I was browsing earlier:
Used 1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 220 (S227472) for sale in Mumbai - CarWale
Used 1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 220 (D288087) for sale in Mumbai - CarWale

Throw in a little for a full exterior, and interior detailing, along with some minor repairs and a service, and you should be good.
And do get the car inspected by a Mercedes Benz A.S.S., or a good mechanic (look around for reviews - there are some in the Team-BHP Directory), and you and your friend could have a gala time with one of the better Mercs to be sold on Indian soil.
Old 17th July 2011, 14:17   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Remember, there is no such thing as a "cheap Mercedes". Even if you buy one used, thing of the purchase price as the downpayment.....and the inevitable repair bills as regular EMIs.

I'm so fed up with my car that I'm sitting on the fence WRT selling her / keeping her (usually don't sell cars that are only 6 years old). I have even tried to keep my ownership report as detailed as possible, so potential buyers understand just what they are getting into. But I frequently come across those who want to buy a used Benz on the forum. Well, as Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 14:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Remember, there is no such thing as a "cheap Mercedes". Even if you buy one used, thing of the purchase price as the downpayment.....and the inevitable repair bills as regular EMIs.

I'm so fed up with my car that I'm sitting on the fence WRT selling her / keeping her (usually don't sell cars that are only 6 years old). I have even tried to keep my ownership report as detailed as possible, so potential buyers understand just what they are getting into. But I frequently come across those who want to buy a used Benz on the forum. Well, as Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute.
Best advice so far. Trust me, owning an old benz is great experience, but only if you maintain them properly. Look for the CLEANEST car possible. The premium you will pay will be very small when you compare it to the long-term saving you made in terms of piece of mind as well as monetarily.

Get a 124. Plain and simple. Dont bother with a 250D, unless you want to smoked by an i10. Only diesel you should consider is a 300D. It is quicker, but nowhere as good as a petrol.
Old 17th July 2011, 15:37   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Superb advice!
Even we are in the same boat as GTO, sitting on the fence, with the decision based on the next repair bill that comes by. Do note that ours is also a 6 year old car.
When looking for a used Benz, do keep in mind that you will be lucky to get a reliable example. Most of their cars post the late-90s have been known for their unreliability, and while the simple nature of the W124 stands out for being among the more reliable pieces, do keep in mind that it will still require some upkeep due to its age. However, if there ever was a true Benz sold in India, the W124 was the one. If you find a good example at 2.5-3L, grab it, and spend the little extra on getting her up to shape. I hope this isn't your friends primary mode of transport, though. The constant upkeep an old car might require wouldn't make it an ideal choice as an everyday car, though I could be wrong.

Most Viewed