Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2011, 22:22   #31
yuv
BHPian

Re: Looking for Mercedes & is E240 AT for 4.5L worth it?

Thanks dhanushs, lamborghini, howler and Varaman.

Im sure the 124's are great cars but like I said before, my friend likes the looks of the newer models and has increased his budget accordingly so I guess 124's are off the shopping list for now. We also want something which will still have a good re-sale value after 1-2 years.

Here are a couple of more vehicles being considered, please do let me know you comments especially on the price.

1999 model, E250D, AT, single owner, done approx 180000kms, Pune registered - 6.75L
2002 model, C200 CDi, MT, single owner, done approx 50000kms, Thane registered - 8L
2000 model, E220D, CDi, AT, single owner, done appox 75000kms, Mumbai registered - 6.75L

Thank alot for your inputs, they have been really very helpful.

Last edited by yuv : 24th July 2011 at 22:30.
Old 24th July 2011, 22:47   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Seriously man! which part of this entire thread don't you understand? you have merc owner telling you to stay away from the that series owing to the reliability/quality issues and the subsequent high cost of ownership and your bud still want one. it'll probably end up as garage decoration after sometime.
Howler, we are here to advise and not to impose a decision. The issues that will be encountered are clearly outlined. Yuv's friend is free to decide as per his wishes
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2011, 23:33   #33
yuv
BHPian

Thank alot Varaman. I have passed your friends info to my friend.
Im sure your friends knowledge and expertise will be of great help.

Aside All - Im sorry, I missed out another interesting vehicle we are looking into. Its a 2002 E220 CDI, AT,single owner, comprehensive insurance, Mumbai registered and the asking price is 6 Lacs.

The thing is there are a few malfunction indicators coming up on the dash and one of them is "Check ABS" and the brakes do appear to be just a wee bit weak. Also, the air-con seems to have a mind of its own and the compressor shuts on/off every 10-15 mins. Apart from that, the car has a clean bodyline and great interiors. The pick-up is good and the engine is very responsive. The auto box and the tiptronic seems to be working great.

The owner says we should set aside approx 1 lac to get the car upto mark. But the ABS is a mystery to us and we really dont know how much will we end up spending on it, if at all.

We really were not looking forward to buying a car with major work to be done upfront but dont mind it if we are getting a real good deal.
Do let me know what you think about this one, Thanks Again.

Last edited by GTO : 26th July 2011 at 13:43. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 25th July 2011, 11:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuv View Post

Aside All - Im sorry, I missed out another interesting vehicle we are looking into. Its a 2002 E220 CDI, AT,single owner, comprehensive insurance, Mumbai registered and the asking price is 6 Lacs.

The thing is there are a few malfunction indicators coming up on the dash and one of them is "Check ABS" and the brakes do appear to be just a wee bit weak. Also, the air-con seems to have a mind of its own and the compressor shuts on/off every 10-15 mins. Apart from that, the car has a clean bodyline and great interiors. The pick-up is good and the engine is very responsive. The auto box and the tiptronic seems to be working great.

The owner says we should set aside approx 1 lac to get the car upto mark. But the ABS is a mystery to us and we really dont know how much will we end up spending on it, if at all.

We really were not looking forward to buying a car with major work to be done upfront but dont mind it if we are getting a real good deal.
A check on the Star Diagnostic Tool should indicate all the errors. The ABS indicator generally comes up due to Electrical problems. (OVP Relays etc)
aquavelva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 15:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:

Surprising! 2002 E220 CDI @ 6 lakhs? carwale valuation says 11 lakhs :(

whatever the model is, a merc above 5 years old will attract a lakh per year for maintenance. Think thrice before...
nishad.hameed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 15:42   #36
BHPian

Please heed all the advise given here. dont bother with anything manufactured after 1996. doing that will be the quickest way for turning cash to trash

I have a 250d for the last 5 years. When i got it, it was in immaculate shape and i dare say it is today too. Cost of this privilege, an average of 50k a year. That too having a close friend do all the work and no labour charge at all

having said that, its a great car and keeps up with the best there is on offer today. Its amazing what a 94bhp 15 year old car can do on the mumbai pune expressway.

As our good friend Fernandes from Sanghi motorcar says: On the road a mercedes will keep your behind rock steady and you will get over all bumps and ditches without any shakes and rattles.... its only your wallet that will shake and rattle when you go to the garage to keep it that way!!
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 10:09   #37
yuv
BHPian

Hi All,

It seems to be finally coming down to a choice between the E220 CDI(2002 model, AT-Tiptronic, one owner, comp insurance, 75000kms, Price: 6 Lacs and spend approx 1-1.5 lac in restoring it) and the C200 CDI(2002 model, MT, one owner, comp insurance, genuine 50000kms, Price: 8 Lacs and NO WORK at all.

There is also the possibility of reduction in price of the C200 by 1-1.5 lacs and the E220 CDI may finally come down to 5.75 lacs.

The C200 is definitely a much more cleaner car but the E220 has AT & Tiptronic, which we have been really looking forward to.

I want to finalise in a day or 2 max, looking forward to your valuable inputs!!!
Old 26th July 2011, 10:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

It seems to be finally coming down to a choice between the E220 CDI(2002 model, AT-Tiptronic, one owner, comp insurance, 75000kms, Price: 6 Lacs and spend approx 1-1.5 lac in restoring it) and the C200 CDI(2002 model, MT, one owner, comp insurance, genuine 50000kms, Price: 8 Lacs and NO WORK at all.

There is also the possibility of reduction in price of the C200 by 1-1.5 lacs and the E220 CDI may finally come down to 5.75 lacs.

The C200 is definitely a much more cleaner car but the E220 has AT & Tiptronic, which we have been really looking forward to.

I want to finalise in a day or 2 max, looking forward to your valuable inputs!!!
brace yourself for some losses here, half of what you pay in next 3 years plus what you spend on it until then. Good luck.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 11:40   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
brace yourself for some losses here, half of what you pay in next 3 years plus what you spend on it until then. Good luck.
There have been numerous replies from which the OP should have got the idea about maintenance. The decision has been made, so lets not bug him more. Instead, give him some useful tips on buying and maintenance.
Quote:
Negotiate hard, and go for the cleaner example. Not always you find a right buyer for these premium cars, and hence, hard negotiation is quite possible.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 11:41   #40
yuv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Ok, I understand that. In your opinion, which is a better option between the two of them though, Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
There have been numerous replies from which the OP should have got the idea about maintenance. The decision has been made, so lets not bug him more. Instead, give him some useful tips on buying and maintenance.

Negotiate hard, and go for the cleaner example. Not always you find a right buyer for these premium cars, and hence, hard negotiation is quite possible.
Thanks alot my friend. The C200 is cleaner but MT and the E220 has AT.
Any idea on what kind of expenses are we looking at if the ABS needs to be done up completely in the E220?

Will the C class be cheaper on maintenance considering it is a C class and/or MT and would the E220 be any costlier on maintenance by virtue of it being an AT and/or an E class?

All - Truly appreciate all the info on the maintenance but my friend still wants to go in for an MB. It has surely made us look harder for a clean car though.

Thanks a ton.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th July 2011 at 16:13. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 26th July 2011, 12:21   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, I understand that. In your opinion, which is a better option between the two of them though, Thanks
I would stick to C200, more so since he is a first time merc owner, he would get a fair idea how to go about maintaining it with lesser risks (shocks really), also it will make him more wise when he wants to graduate to the E series, and believe me there are really good ones from the just discontinued lot, also the current C series would be a great buy in future. He may fancy the AT & Tiptronic, but he is buying it (marrying it, not a one night stand). E with AT certainly not the girl to take home to your mother.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 14:12   #42
BHPian

You can do 1 thing. Ask the seller to allow you to take the car to a sanghi or hangar. They will put it on scanner and will give you a complete evaluation and quote of the approx cost. It might cost you a nominal charge to do this but atleast you know what you are getting into from the outset. obviously you need to do this check once you have zeroed in and almost decided on a car

I had sanghi do a scan on my friends c200 cdi which had its dash all lit up and christmasy. abs, srs etc quote was for 120,000/- to fix it all

Quote:
Thanks alot my friend. The C200 is cleaner but MT and the E220 has AT.
Any idea on what kind of expenses are we looking at if the ABS needs to be done up completely in the E220?

Will the C class be cheaper on maintenance considering it is a C class and/or MT and would the E220 be any costlier on maintenance by virtue of it being an AT and/or an E class?

All - Truly appreciate all the info on the maintenance but my friend still wants to go in for an MB. It has surely made us look harder for a clean car though.

Thanks a ton.
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 14:32   #43
Team-BHP Support

+1 to 53bhp suggestion. Find out. Ignore Sanghi's quote and understand what is wrong and what needs to be fixed. There are alterate mechanics who can do the same work
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 14:42   #44
BHPian

Or if the seller is not ready to take his vehicle out, I can give you a guy who may come at your location with the tool to give you the quote. Please PM if you need his contact details.
nishad.hameed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 16:14   #45
BHPian

Hi Yuv, I would go for the C200 as well, simply because the W210's are known to be possibly 'the' most unreliable series ever produced by Mercedes. Also, i believe the C200 was sold in higher numbers, hence your friend would get more feedback and support for any potential problems faced, not to mention a readily available second-hand spare market if the need arises. Moreover, I think it even looks better than the W210!
nirav is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed