Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2011, 10:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: ML350 or VW Phaeton?

Quote:
@vw2010 - the on road price comes close to 62L
I feel the price is a killer. On road for 62 with features that are available in other makes at above 1C price range. I will give it a hard thought. But again its a VW and there is nothing like a Merc as others pointed out. Just the snub factor driving the three star symbol is just amazing.

The ML350 aint a slough either. Take a ride in the phaeton and let us know how it felt
Old 29th July 2011, 11:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

As good a car as the Phaeton is, I'd stay away. 5 years (or whenever) down the line when you want to sell the vehicle you'll be lucky to find buyers - expect a massive fall in resale value! After all, there's a reason their offering that mouthwatering 25L discount from the showroom itself! And if you're the kind if person who enjoys snob value, at the end of the day your Phaeton is still 'just' a VW.

Stick to the Benz, or explore other options like the XF, Q5/Q7 or X5. How much does the basic Cayenne cost? Might be a fun vehicle to own.

Have you considered two vehicles? Maybe a combination like the 530d (for city/highway) and the Fortuner (for bad roads, highway, Ooty trips) can work well?

Good luck and I'm sure we'd all like to see an ownership thread of the car you finally choose!
Old 29th July 2011, 11:55   #33
Team-BHP Support

Landrover - Pros - amazing rough road capability, Cons - sparse dealers, things go wrong after three years (things have improved now)

Merc ML350 - Pro's - good allrounder, comofrtable, handles bad roads, well made, has a spare wheel, plenty of dealers. Cons - just been replaced, not as macho as an X5, victim of earlier overpricing

VW Phaeton - Pro's - Engineering excellence, comfortable, does everything almost too well. Cons - A bit anodyne, VW badge, VW dealers might be overwhelmed with the technology, depreciation, size

You might want to look at the Toureg
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 18:39   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
As good a car as the Phaeton is, I'd stay away. 5 years (or whenever) down the line when you want to sell the vehicle you'll be lucky to find buyers - expect a massive fall in resale value! After all, there's a reason their offering that mouthwatering 25L discount from the showroom itself! And if you're the kind if person who enjoys snob value, at the end of the day your Phaeton is still 'just' a VW.

Stick to the Benz, or explore other options like the XF, Q5/Q7 or X5. How much does the basic Cayenne cost? Might be a fun vehicle to own.

Have you considered two vehicles? Maybe a combination like the 530d (for city/highway) and the Fortuner (for bad roads, highway, Ooty trips) can work well?

Good luck and I'm sure we'd all like to see an ownership thread of the car you finally choose!
@anekho - certainly looking at ML350. As for the Cayenne, the basic range starts from 61L ex showroom for a 3L all the way till 1.30 Crores for the 4.8L top end Turbo Tiptronic version. Not really the budget i would look at.

As for the Jag, have seen a couple of them around here. Not really keen on it, i don't a really impressive badge value (which exists abroad) here. The best of the lot is a V8 5L Petrol R version which is 75 ex showroom (definitely would burn my pocket for now)

If a 2 car combo, can look at an E Class or as you said, 530d 3.0 version or the A6 or the Volvo s80 along with a good bmw x1 , volvo xc90, Land rover fl2. (though it would make me spend a couple of notes extra)

Definitely will post a separate thread on it within the next couple of weeks as this month is not auspicious (!!) so any purchase would be towards the end of next month or the first weeks of the month after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Landrover - Pros - amazing rough road capability, Cons - sparse dealers, things go wrong after three years (things have improved now)

Merc ML350 - Pro's - good allrounder, comofrtable, handles bad roads, well made, has a spare wheel, plenty of dealers. Cons - just been replaced, not as macho as an X5, victim of earlier overpricing

VW Phaeton - Pro's - Engineering excellence, comfortable, does everything almost too well. Cons - A bit anodyne, VW badge, VW dealers might be overwhelmed with the technology, depreciation, size

You might want to look at the Toureg
@ajmat - the new facelift version of the ML350 is very impressive. As for the phaeton depreciation definitely is a reality which we have to face though it maybe used for low miles. Landrover dealership is not available here and i would hate going 200-300kms just to fix up something (not the kind of roads and traffic which you would want as the roads are extremely horrible except a couple of them here and there)
Old 20th August 2011, 21:51   #35
BHPian

I am not a frequent blogger and this might have been said before.. but here it goes.. When you are spending 70L you dont wanna settle for any car just because its on a discount. That said, there is no doubt that phaeton is an immaculate car when you are in it, but at the end of the day its still a vw. And no disrespect to the brand, but you dont wanna buy a vw above say 40lacs.. and it is evident with the sales figures of toureg and phaeton. Your other choice, ML350 is not an exceptional suv either, my cousin owns it but i am less than impressed with the vehicle in terms of performance and road presence. Moreover MB is coming out with an all new ML by the end of next year.
I would suggest you to consider the X5 (which is a great performer) or Q7 (if you dont mind the never ending chasis), or x6 (if it isnt too bold to suggest) or cayenne diesel
And Just because you are considering the Jag, the xf is out with a new front early next year. It is only loved by people because its exotic in india. And having driven one recently, It is not up to the par with its german rivals, be it performance or reliability. You are better off with a german brand. I would suggest a Bimmer (i am biased). If i was you i would go for the X6 (if 4 seat is not a problem) or a cayenne (now that car has road presence along with the performance)
Old 20th August 2011, 22:23   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Moreover MB is coming out with an all new ML by the end of next year.
They have already launched this - must be on way to India in 2-3 months

Quote:
i am less than impressed with the vehicle in terms of performance and road presence.
+ 1 - I test drove one - at moderate speeds 100 - 130 steering behaves vague - it has so much play - maybe I am used to hard one of beemers but still this was more of suzuki kind

Quote:
the X6 (if 4 seat is not a problem) or a cayenne
Very Right - X 6 is surely a head turner - should fit in your budget - new I Drive & 8 speed Gear box plus maintenance packages - you get trouble free ride ( JOY )

Cayenne - now more of VW than Porsche - the only model that used to sell well - Diesel - Prices were hiked by about Rs 6 Lac without any logic - now this is so typical of VW Group - prices of all other variants which sell in low numbers are almost unchanged - maybe top bosses decided - how can Porsche sell the car in India at Audi prices ? Besides spares are damn expensive

BTW BMW is also running very good offers on 7 series so if you can pick 730D loaded @ about 75 Lac Ex Delhi

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th August 2011 at 22:28.
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hey Varun

Whats the latest update? Was actually hoping too see a new ownership thread of the Phaeton from you.

Cheers!

P.S. That was my 500th post. Didn't realize it while typing.
Old 30th August 2011, 21:47   #38
BHPian

guys, i have decided on the ML 350 finally. should be in by next month... weeks of waiting have finally given way to make a choice.. an endless trial to find a test phaeton was difficult.. so i had to let go and choose the new ML itself.. the manager even suggested a ML450 but any suggestions on it?
Old 30th August 2011, 21:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, the ML 350 CDI is a wonderfully priced product from Mercedes India and you cannot go wrong with it esp. with the grand edition which includes leather covered interiors and a few upgrades which were previously quite expensive, which edition did you get?

Could you also give us details on all the 3 models of the ML now in India? I esp. would love to know about the corporate edition and what omissions have been made in it as it has a wonderful price.

Also there is no 450 in India, am I missing something?

Regards,
Old 30th August 2011, 22:21   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i have decided on the ML 350 finally
Are you sure ? why would you like to put your money on something that's going to get changed for good in 3 months time !

2012 Mercedes-Benz M-Class unveiled, AMG and hybrid versions coming soon | egmCarTech

I don't know for what purpose do you need the new Car - how about booking evoque - delivery in December -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-india-3.html

Quote:
details on all the 3 models of the ML now in India
they have 2 models - sports & executive - have a look at enclosed comparison
Attached Files
File Type: pdf M-Class GE Product Specifications.pdf (918.2 KB, 448 views)

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th August 2011 at 22:49.
Old 31st August 2011, 00:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Turbanator,

Thanks for the spec sheet but now they have added another basic variant the details of which I have posted in the indian car section on the GL500 thread, its the corporate edition and has a very low price so would love to know what does one lose in that?

Regards,
Old 31st August 2011, 04:29   #42
BHPian

Mercedes ML 350. My brother bought one a few weeks ago, is very very happy with the Machine. VW Phaeton seems way overpriced.
Old 6th September 2011, 08:29   #43
BHPian

I am attaching a price list of the 3 variants. You can see and understand the differences. However, its for Coimbatore in TN. so registration + other small charges may vary.

ML 450 is definitely available around 75 odd. Do check up with the local dealer. Am picking up the new grand edition only.

@Turbunator - The AMG & Hybrid versions should be better. However, I would rather prefer this, since next year i do have other commitments due to which i cannot wait for any longer.

Plus this is the new version of the M series at the moment. So, there's nothing to hesitate.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Varan ML Price Workings.xls (17.0 KB, 358 views)

Last edited by varunrdas : 6th September 2011 at 08:31.
Old 6th September 2011, 11:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

The new Grand definitely looks more muscular from the front.

For sunroof, leather and memory package - there is an addition of 7.5 What have you chosen Executive or Sports.

Check if the dealer is offering any maintenance package. Though this may not be as great as the maintenance packages from BMW, but worth a check.
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:15   #45
BHPian

Did you get a good discount on the ML350?. We had booked the ML350 , but then cancelled it because of the model change and picked up the GL350.

The ML grand looked really good in white.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks