Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 13:05   #1

Benz C250 CDI vs C200 CGI ? Which is cheaper to own?

I am looking to buy the new C-class but i have a few doubts. Although the diesel is the preferred choice in India, I think the petrol version (C200 CGI) works out to be cheaper. Is the 4 lakhs premium paid for the diesel worth it??
I have done a few calculations and found the petrol to be cheaper. Imagining i will own the car for 5 years and would have done 1,00,000km n also speculating that the huge subsidy on the diesel to be lifted.
What is the consumption of the C250 CDI & C200 CGI(petrol)??
And also list out all the pros & cons of both the variants.
Finally the verdict. Petrol or Diesel??
Old 31st August 2011, 14:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Benz C250 CDI vs C200 CGI ? Which is cheaper to own?

The 200 CGI gives a mileage of about 8-10 in a combined cycle in the real world conditions but this may reduce in a city like Bombay where traffic is pretty much at a snail's pace, and if your running will not be too high on the C-class then get the 200 CGI which will now also have 7G-tronic while the 250CDI gets the 5 speed box for now. One of the main advantages of the cdi motor is the torque but than the new cgi petrol engines are equally fun and nothing will beat the pleasure of a high revving petrol engine and the cgi motor is in a league of its own for its class of cars. Another advantage cdi has is that you can fill it up anywhere but one tank of bad petrol and u will see some knocking.

Also do if panorama roof etc is not important I recommend you get a good bargain on the pre facelifted car they are giving good deals,

Lastly, believe me the extra cost on diesel may or may not be justified but do wait until tomm for the new prices and see what the real difference between the two is.

I have not included the mileage of 250 CDI as I do not know anyone who has it, but I'm sure someone on the forum can shed more light on that.

Petrol or diesel I can assure you the car will make you smile everytime, and the facelift is wonderful esp. The interior and do check its steering wheel its the finest thing to hold.

Regards,

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 31st August 2011 at 14:30.
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 21:27   #3

I am going in for the new face lifted car. I have spoken to the dealer and will be test driving the new car soon. The double panoramic roof is great and also nice selling point. Thanks S350L-E240 for the mileage on the C200 CGI

Can someone please share some light on the mileage on C250 CDI

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2011 at 14:22. Reason: STRICTLY no SMS language on this community
Old 1st September 2011, 15:18   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar_1422 View Post
I have done a few calculations and found the petrol to be cheaper. Imagining i will own the car for 5 years and would have done 1,00,000km n also speculating that the huge subsidy on the diesel to be lifted.
Don't forget to work resale value differences into your equation too.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 17:32   #5
BHPian

the milage on the diesel would be somwhere around 12 and 14 kmpl. I would suggest you go for diesel. I know there is a premium but it will workout to be cheaper when you consider the resale value of the car. Petrol cars are dying breed in our automotive industry.
Old 1st September 2011, 18:26   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Since performance is not important, why not look at the C220 CDi instead? It should be similarly priced to the C200, or marginally more expensive.
I am not sure if Mercedes would be discontinuing the C220 CDi, but at the same time, they would have to bring in a CE variant of their C Class.
Will this car be financed? If so, think if your 1,600kms/month running would save more than the difference in the EMI of these two cars.
Old 1st September 2011, 19:01   #7

Resale value was i other parameter that i forgot to consider and with this included the petrol might not be that cheap after all. And the difference between diesel and the petrol has been reduced by 1L in price for the new face-lifted model.
But i am still waiting for the official price release.
Anyway thanks all.
Old 2nd September 2011, 20:47   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

When you are buying a Mercedes, it shouldn't be about which one is cheaper to own. Rather, which one is better to own!

The diesel is the superior here, as is the case with most German cars. Reasons:

- Far better torque! The C250 has 500 Nm of it, and pulls like a train.

- Usually more durable than the petrols. From my personal experience, the diesel powerplant has had far less issues than the petrol that suffers from our fuel quality etc. Of course, don't be misled into thinking modern Mercs are reliable.

- Excellent highway driving range. With the C250, you can do 750 - 850 kms on a single tank.

- Whatever extra you pay at the time of purchase, you'll get double of that at the time of resale. Remember, European petrol cars depreciate like stink.

Keep in mind that these cars will throw tantrums in the longer run. Be prepared for problems & issues if you intend to keep it beyond 3 years, and each time something conks off, you'll pay through your nose.

Also, if you are up for it, you can get some really well-maintained Mercedes E280 CDIs (previous gen) or BMW 525d / 530ds (again, previous gen) for less than the cost of a new C Class.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 21:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When you are buying a Mercedes, it shouldn't be about which one is cheaper to own. Rather, which one is better to own!

The diesel is the superior here, as is the case with most German cars.
+1. Fully agreed. That's why we went to C220 CDI Executive edition last year instead of C250 CDI or C250. First of all, diesel advantage (massive torque & drive-ability) and less electronics in Executive Edition that can go wrong.
Old 16th September 2011, 21:28   #10

I have finally decided on the C250 CDI although I have over shot my budget of 35L. But I would like to have a rebate on the price. Can anyone suggest how do I go about this. Because I know that the dealer has a good margin in it.
Should I ask for a discount or a upgrade(which I think is not possible in a top end variant)??
Or should I approach him with what BMW & AUDI would offer me??
Please help!!
Thanks.
Old 17th September 2011, 02:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

GTO,

The Ahmedabad OTR price for the C250CDI is 37.82 for Metallic shades, and my 530d is not getting me offers more than 39 lac, so I guess depending on the situation he might be able to pull off a 525d or even the 530d (F10) models?

Most E60 530d Highline trades are now at around 25 Lac and only a few super well maintained cars are going at about 28.

A 520d F10 December 2010 Registered was recently sold for 31.65 lac. A clean no accident car.

So honestly your pre-worshipped route has never had better times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also, if you are up for it, you can get some really well-maintained Mercedes E280 CDIs (previous gen) or BMW 525d / 530ds (again, previous gen) for less than the cost of a new C Class.
Nitrous Power,

The C220 CDI, was brilliant as it offered every bit of refinement needed and only deleted certain features which may or may not be useful, and the car will return in few weeks with a very good price point. Do post ownership report? Would love to keep updated with the reliability of the new Mercedes and also how is the dealer support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
+1. Fully agreed. That's why we went to C220 CDI Executive edition last year instead of C250 CDI or C250.
amar_1422,

Congrats on getting the finest car in it's class, which trim have you decided upon? Elegance or Avantgarde? Do post pics as soon as you get it.

And about any discounts / rebates you will not be able to get much for the face lifted models as they just moved in, but if you don't care much for the facelift ask your dealer for old stock and they offer mouthwatering deals on those cars.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar_1422 View Post
I have finally decided on the C250 CDI ........
Should I ask for a discount or a upgrade(which I think is not possible in a top end variant)??
Or should I approach him with what BMW & AUDI would offer me??

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 17th September 2011 at 02:21.
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 20:44   #12

Thanks GTO & S350L-E240,

I had to read this thread and your other posts on W203 long term ownership repeatedly to understand and appreciate your viewpoints. Excellent insights!! This is why I am glad I'm at the right place looking for this information.

In the current scenario would you suggest me to for C220 CDI Classic vs BMW 320d CE. I test drove both in the last 5-7 days. Found C220 to be a better package overall! (A Merc is a Merc, right?).

Does the C220 CDI have inherent AC /cooling problems - not sure if any improvement done in the current /facelifted edition? Could not find too many ownership reports on this EE Edition!

Post the 3 year warranty period, i know I will have to keep aside approx 75k-1L per annum for maintaining this car (noted from one of your earlier posts). Is this still the case in current scenario? Should I set aside a bigger budget?

I have been offered a 2.5L discount on the OTR price for this EE Edition (post discount, the OTR in Chennai comes approx. 30L)? Is it a deal clincher? Or should I be happy with this? I have been offered a 4L discount on the C200 CGI though.

Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 00:06   #13

Finally took delivery of the new C250 CDI today. (39L on-road chennai, money well spent). My sincere thanks to Mr. Kannan (sales manager, Trans Car India) for making it happen without a glitch.
Thanks to everyone who has helped me out here in taking this decision.
team-bhp all the way!!
Old 30th September 2011, 10:21   #14

Congrats Amar_1422 on the three-pointed star!

You have got one head-turner on the road for sure. Which model did you pick - Elegance or Avantgarde? I hope you have taken the Star Care/Ease package. I heard it is a must. Were there any freebies/discounts on offer?

Happy (S)miles all the way!

I'm still unable to decide!

Cheers
Old 30th September 2011, 11:28   #15
BHPian

Congrats for your valued possession.
C250 is real powerful machine with that huge torque.
New upgraded C looks stunning!!!

Most Viewed