Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2011, 10:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2011 Merc SLK vs BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Speedy,

Do read my thread in the Indian Car section, BMW is first looking at Mini and new 3 before the 1, and 1M is not coming at all as the investment is too high for an outgoing model and they might consider it at a later stage with the new 1, but that will be years away.

Link to thread

Regards,
S350L-E240,

My information is based on what i was informed by the dealership.
Old 17th September 2011, 11:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Trust me speedy, most dealers are either ill informed or not informed. The only issue with 1M is the engine being 2979 cc and if it had 21cc more, it would have been a walk in the park to import but being an out going model the investments are not justified.

Regards,
Old 17th September 2011, 12:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
parsh,

Thats just a poorly done photoshop mixing the Z4 with the BMW 6. And I agree with you the Z4 as it is itself makes a gorgeous automobile.
Rightly put, couldn't agree with you more.

Quote:
manishk123,

Do not wait for the facelift, the E89 Z4 was launched internationally in December 2008 and with a 7 year life cycle expect it to get a facelift only in December 2011 or a month or so up and down, and only expect in India sometime in April 2013.

Like I said stick to the SLK if you need a new product or go ahead with the Z4 with the new design package you wont regret any of it.
It sure would be way off with the life cycle of Z4 and that too in India. Both are fab cars but I personally tend to lean towards Z4 with Z4's driving thrill factor and its looks. As S350L-E240 says, maybe even with Z4's design package would spruce it up for you. But even without it, its a damn good buy. No offence to SLK pls, Respect it.
Old 17th September 2011, 12:14   #19
BANNED

If it was the older slk I'd have told you to go with the the Z4. The new SLK is just divine. The new facelifted one is just incredibly beautiful., oh that retro grill. Proper roadster. Go with the SLK AMG you will not regret it.
Old 17th September 2011, 12:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trust me speedy, most dealers are either ill informed or not informed. The only issue with 1M is the engine being 2979 cc and if it had 21cc more, it would have been a walk in the park to import but being an out going model the investments are not justified.

Regards,

About 99% of the time i dont get the wrong info from dealers as we buy in double or triple digits. Just for the record the 325i and 330i are also 2900 odd cc engines.. The 1M uses the 335i's heart..so importing it is no issue. There would be loads of people who dont want to spend 80 odd lakhs on a M3 but are ok with a 40 or 50 lakh M would go in for the 1M.

Anyways lets not go off topic..
Old 17th September 2011, 15:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Speedy,

No offense but you buying cars in triple digits or double digits is not even relevant to this topic and has no co-relation to authentic information and that is something dealers are un aware of or sometimes assume a lot.

On this forum itself there are so many with perhaps only 1 car and still they ensure correct information flows in.

And why are you talking about 325/330i? They are not the subject matter, and they are high volume production cars and had enough life cycle in it and were made here so it was a compulsory process and returns were justified, do read the 1M is based on the previous generation 1 and is made in limited numbers for which investment is not justified to homologate, unless there is extremely huge demand which there is not, and for most if they had to spend 50L OTR for a car they would end up with 530d etc.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
About 99% of the time i dont get the wrong info from dealers as we buy in double or triple digits. Just for the record the 325i and 330i are also 2900 odd cc engines.. The 1M uses the 335i's heart..so importing it is no issue. There would be loads of people who dont want to spend 80 odd lakhs on a M3 but are ok with a 40 or 50 lakh M would go in for the 1M.

Anyways lets not go off topic..

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 17th September 2011 at 15:47.
Old 18th September 2011, 11:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speedy,

No offense but you buying cars in triple digits or double digits is not even relevant to this topic and has no co-relation to authentic information and that is something dealers are un aware of or sometimes assume a lot.

On this forum itself there are so many with perhaps only 1 car and still they ensure correct information flows in.

And why are you talking about 325/330i? They are not the subject matter, and they are high volume production cars and had enough life cycle in it and were made here so it was a compulsory process and returns were justified, do read the 1M is based on the previous generation 1 and is made in limited numbers for which investment is not justified to homologate, unless there is extremely huge demand which there is not, and for most if they had to spend 50L OTR for a car they would end up with 530d etc.

Regards,
The point was that the dealerships know that one house gives them quite a few sales...so generally i dont wait for cars..ex ample being on a thursday i called asking to buy the Ethios and Monday morning i had the car. No bragging or anything but i talk to the owners of the Dealerships and they inturn give me the info from the Company. I think even our diverting from the main point and taking it to a 1M discussion is not relevent here as the topic is for the Z4 and SLK discussion.

The 325 and 330 were mentioned as you did say something about the 2900 cc engine of the M not being feasable. The point here is that the 1M uses the 335i engine which is a production engine. BMW is in no way going out of the way for a 1M or keeping it as a limited production car. The intent is to bring it as any other M vehicle you have in the market.

Now according to your view on the price..the Z4 and the SLK 350 are both above the 50 Lakh bracket in Mumbai...so why have you not recommended a 530d or E 350 CDI..., A person who wants a sports car will buy one.
Old 18th September 2011, 12:04   #23
Team-BHP Support

Between the two, I would suggest you walk right past the BMW and Mercedes showrooms and check out the Porsche Boxster.

Why the Boxster? Well..

- Fantastic mid-mounted, flat-6 engine. Makes the best noise ever!

- The Mid-mounted engine gives the car incredible balance. It is a better handling car than the Bimmer. You can't go wrong with a Porsche. The handling is supernatural. The Boxster is known to be the best handling car in the world!

- The car fits you like a well-worn glove. It does everything you want it to do! it looks the part too!

- It's a Porsche. Wouldn't you rather have a Porsche in your garage, instead of a BMW or a Mercedes?
Old 18th September 2011, 17:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Speedy this being a public forum I try to ensure the information here is precise and correct and like other areas in life I have always been someone who ensures any and every kind of help is given in a correct manner to all aspects of life and it's requirements, be it in real or on a public forum.

While you might be someone who can speak to owners, Some here speak directly to the manufacturers and get an Etios booked on thursday delivered by monday, do understand some of us can get it on the thursday without even booking it, so lets keep these talks away and do understand I am not pointing fingers at you personally but you have been a source of a lot of wrong information and have personally corrected you once upon a time when you could not even recognize and E-Class coupe which you were referring to as the CL? And I also see in that post the Mercedes dealer did not give you correct info on the Panorama roof being standard?

Link to the post

And various others which I can point to you where others have to correct you, so lets now stop this and do read what I am trying to say, and again please don't take any thing personal I just want to get this to you that dealerships are not exactly the right source of Info as a lot of information is not even passed to them by the companies.

1M may share its engine with the 35i designated models, but even then it needs to be homologated in India since it is below the 3000cc engine limit, and that is an expensive exercise for BMW India unless there is a big demand for the car and if you do go through the press release it was intended to be limited to 2700 - 3000 cars I don't remember the exact number which was later taken off and now will be produced until April/May 2012.

And coming to my 50 lac point, keep the Z4 / SLK out of the picture that's like comparing Apples to Oranges, they are bought in few numbers only due to the fascinating aspect and the numbers are too little and please do go re-read my post, I specifically used the word, "Most" people. And if you have doubts quit talking to the dealership and it's high time you start talking to the company.

Lastly, other parts of your earlier posts itself were mis-leading about Z4's facelift and 1-Series coming in, it's clarified by me and now since a few days by BMW itself Mini will be here first and then at a much later date the 1.

Now lets quit shuffling between posts and confuse the buyer, the point is Z4 is not getting it's facelift in India before March 2013, so for now either stick to the Z4 or get the new SLK.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The point was that the dealerships know that one house gives them quite a few sales...so generally i dont wait for cars..ex ample being on a thursday i called asking to buy the Ethios and Monday morning i had the car. No bragging or anything but i talk to the owners of the Dealerships and they inturn give me the info from the Company. I think even our diverting from the main point and taking it to a ...............
.................. your view on the price..the Z4 and the SLK 350 are both above the 50 Lakh bracket in Mumbai...so why have you not recommended a 530d or E 350 CDI..., A person who wants a sports car will buy one.

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 18th September 2011 at 17:42.
Old 18th September 2011, 19:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speedy this being a public forum I try to ensure the information here is precise and correct and like other areas in life I have always been someone who ensures any and every kind of help is given in a correct manner to all aspects of life and it's requirements, be it in real or on a public forum.

While you might be someone who can speak to owners, Some here speak directly to the manufacturers and get an Etios booked on thursday delivered by monday, do understand some of us can get it on the thursday without even booking it, so lets keep these talks away and do understand I am not pointing fingers at you personally but you have been a source of a lot of wrong information and have personally corrected you once upon a time when you could not even recognize and E-Class coupe which you were referring to as the CL? And I also see in that post the Mercedes dealer did not give you correct info on the Panorama roof being standard?

Link to the post

And various others which I can point to you where others have to correct you, so lets now stop this and do read what I am trying to say, and again please don't take any thing personal I just want to get this to you that dealerships are not exactly the right source of Info as a lot of information is not even passed to them by the companies.

1M may share its engine with the 35i designated models, but even then it needs to be homologated in India since it is below the 3000cc engine limit, and that is an expensive exercise for BMW India unless there is a big demand for the car and if you do go through the press release it was intended to be limited to 2700 - 3000 cars I don't remember the exact number which was later taken off and now will be produced until April/May 2012.

And coming to my 50 lac point, keep the Z4 / SLK out of the picture that's like comparing Apples to Oranges, they are bought in few numbers only due to the fascinating aspect and the numbers are too little and please do go re-read my post, I specifically used the word, "Most" people. And if you have doubts quit talking to the dealership and it's high time you start talking to the company.

Lastly, other parts of your earlier posts itself were mis-leading about Z4's facelift and 1-Series coming in, it's clarified by me and now since a few days by BMW itself Mini will be here first and then at a much later date the 1.

Now lets quit shuffling between posts and confuse the buyer, the point is Z4 is not getting it's facelift in India before March 2013, so for now either stick to the Z4 or get the new SLK.

Regards,

I would say, you keep your info and i shall mine..and lets leave it at that..I choose not to take this further as it would be unfair to the thread starter..Please do not take it as i dont have a reply to your post in anyway..or take things otherwise...

Regards...
Old 18th September 2011, 21:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Can't stop myself but suggest in good faith,
If the owner is sucker for handling and will do great twists, go for Porsche Cayman or Boxter as personal preference maybe. You may call upon Dante he is living with on in your vicinity.

If the owner is to do highway trips and party tricks go in for SLK it's a good performer.

If the owner wants a chick magnet, Z4 it is.

My personal choice, Porsche forever, it's a keeper

Cheers!
Old 18th September 2011, 22:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Porsche would be my first choice and then the new Z4. But it should be the buyers personal choice in the end no matter who ever advises here.
Old 19th September 2011, 14:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
My personal choice, Porsche forever, it's a keeper

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Porsche would be my first choice
Most valid suggestion guys! If the car were for Mumbai would have gone for the Cayman eyes closed. But since its going to be in Aurangabad, ground clearance and service are both big issues.

Btw there's already a 911 in the family which is kept in Mumbai. Its the burnt orange one which is seen driving about town quite often.
Old 26th September 2011, 11:09   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
I would suggest your cousin goes for the bimmer.. I have the same engine in my 335i and it is the best you can get without paying for the M badge. Its high in torque and no turbo lag. And if you like to do performance mods.. you could just go for ecu upgrade and squeeze 100 more horses.. Moreover, the slk looks like a chick car. Go for the bimmer.. you wont be disappointed...
Totally agree with this. Having owned a 3er with the I6 engine (sans biturbo), I have to say it's the smoothest 6 cylinder engine I've driven.

However, I had the opportunity to drive a spankin new 2012 SLK350 recently, and it definitely has a beautiful sound (engine/exhaust combined). The retractable hardtop is an absolute dream, but this is also available on the Z4 I believe. I wasn't too impressed by the 7G gearbox, even tho it was pretty smooth. I'd personally prefer a manual which is offered only by the Z4 (at least in the US). Handling was direct and responsive, as expected from a car this size. Surprisingly good suspension for Indian roads too. Enough stiffness for spirited driving while being soft enough to absorb pothole annoyances.

It definitely is a tough choice but you can't go wrong with either.
Also, I wouldn't factor in the Boxster in this case cause it doesn't offer a retractable hardtop (yet).

BTW, Mike what part of SD are you in? I lived in Carlsbad for a couple of years, you guys have the best roads. EVAR!
Old 26th September 2011, 13:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post

It definitely is a tough choice but you can't go wrong with either.
Also, I wouldn't factor in the Boxster in this case cause it doesn't offer a retractable hardtop (yet).

BTW, Mike what part of SD are you in? I lived in Carlsbad for a couple of years, you guys have the best roads. EVAR!
The other thing about boxter or caymn is that i have only seen chicks drive that car.
I live in mission valley rightnow bt i often visit carlsbad area for the beach.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks